• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 gameplay footage (Xbox 360 version)

After watching the vid a few more times and picking up on the amount of pop-in (especially within the first 5 seconds) I'm leaning towards it being actual 360 footage as well.

scitek

Oemenia

Banned
So pumped, Far Cry 2 scope with Far Cry 1 focus and an improved narrative, how much better could it be!

Edit: Watching it again, it seems to be more like Far Cry Instincts or Crysis rather than the size we saw in FC1, maybe we are asking too much given just how little RAM the consoles have.

Nizz

No wonder people are impressed with it. Ubisoft released some papers and this game is quite technically impressive. Deferred rendering, global illumination, SSAO, HDR, dynamic TOD etc. all of that on consoles too and they even made specific optimization on PS3 version and SPU's.

Here for those who are interested...
http://engineroom.ubi.com/wp-content/bigfiles/farcry3_drtv_lowres.pdf
Very nice! I thought Far Cry 2 ran pretty well on PS3, considering the game took place in big African jungles/deserts.

The sounds of the guns are laughable.
And I've had farts with more recoil.

Guessing this will be another Ubi title without mod tools to fix everything?

DieH@rd

Banned
GDC: In case anyone is interested in the full performance capture of Vas and the doctor, and how it's done in games like Uncharted, Enslaved, Black Ops, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzkSNCeHuSA (26 min)

Who needs LA Noire when you got this?

IMO, this tech really doesn't come even close to Kara and LA Noire. Too few keypoints on the face, they cant successfully transfer minute motions correctly.

But it works good enough for a FPS game. :)

SadAli

Neo Member
There's something very wrong with the guy who runs past the stairs at around the 37 second mark. In general looks promising though not really seen anything yet to make me really excited.

IMO, this tech really doesn't come even close to Kara and LA Noire. Too few keypoints on the face, they cant successfully transfer minute motions correctly.

But it works good enough for a FPS game. :)

Kara is probably using the same tech, and that was a limited tech demo with nothing else happening.

LA Noire's tech is at a disadvantage because it's only on the face and is more FMV so much harder to modify. I doubt any other developer will ever use it. It doesn't capture the body, so there's the disconnect with the body animations.

The only problems I had with FC2 was the weird sped up voice acting and the multi lobby system. Other than that anyone who doesnt want to play in Blood Diamond/Heart of Darkness is someone I would never been seen with in polite company.

Loxley

Holy crap, hype.

Between this, Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2, thank god we're getting some big shooters this year with some fucking color. Love how vibrant and lush everything looks in FC3. I agree the AK sounds weak, but I thought everything else sounded excellent. Really can't wait for this.

One other little change I'm glad they made from the first reveal is that they moved that dumb "+10" notice whenever you get a kill to the far left side of the screen instead of above the targeting dot in the center. If they're not going to give us the option to turn it of, I'm glad they at least moved it. Now if only we could turn off that just-as-distracting white danger indicator that is constantly popping up.

The_Monk

Here it is a game that based on the his last entry I had no interest.

But holy Buddha!
The game looks amazing. I've been playing some Dead Island so I'm a fan of the tropical setting with great and vibrant colors.

Wonder if there will be a Collectors Edition. Wallet says don't, hype says get it.

No wonder people are impressed with it. Ubisoft released some papers and this game is quite technically impressive. Deferred rendering, global illumination, SSAO, HDR, dynamic TOD etc. all of that on consoles too and they even made specific optimization on PS3 version and SPU's.

Here for those who are interested...
http://engineroom.ubi.com/wp-content/bigfiles/farcry3_drtv_lowres.pdf

Wow, very cool. They're putting global illumination with dynamic lights on the PC version. They're actually upgrading stuff for the PC version instead of just making it a direct port, gj Ubi.

Dunia performance was really impressive to me in FarCry 2. In my opinion that renderer didn't get the praise it deserved.

It seems FarCry 3 alongside Crysis 2 sports the most technically advanced game engines in consoles.

Praise to the developers that take time to come up with innovative ways to approximate quality GI and the results seem quite good here. Not even Crysis 2 is calculating a light bounce like is doing here.

disap.ed

Dunia performance was really impressive to me in FarCry 2. In my opinion that renderer didn't get the praise it deserved.

It seems FarCry 3 alongside Crysis 2 sports the most technically advanced game engines in consoles.

Aren't both based on CryEngine3? At least this is what I remember from the last CE3-Thread.

Aren't both based on CryEngine3? At least this is what I remember from the last CE3-Thread.
For what i can remember Dunia was an offspring of the first iteration of the Cryengine used in Far Cry. So it deverts in Dunia used in Far Cry 2 and Cryengine 2 used in Crysis. Up to the present where we have Cryengine 3 and the Far Cry 3 engine which they haven't said if it is still called Dunia or a new name.

Any mirror's about?
Well that's a good question. Im not sure but i guess it has to do on how rendering is handled in some of this moder engines. It's hard to see mirrors that actually reflect the environment in lots of the latest shooters. If anyone knows the true technical reasons please explain.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wow, very cool. They're putting global illumination with dynamic lights on the PC version. They're actually upgrading stuff for the PC version instead of just making it a direct port, gj Ubi.

This is going to become more and more usual as the next generation of consoles comes closer. All games with new engines coming in the next few months are more than likely next-gen ready, and running in degraded mode on the current consoles. See Battlefield 3 as the perfect example of that, and I expect FC3 (Dunia 2, not sure if it's the name of the engine or not) and Assassin's Creed 3 (Anvil Next) to do the same thing.

And I've had farts with more recoil.

1JhD3.jpg

Shaka

That video made me lose hype. Looked like it was on god mode. And I have to agree with Little Old Man. Shitty weapon sounds and no recoil=Ass. We'll see where you take this Ubisoft.

Running and gunning through the demo makes this look too similar to a hallway shooter.

I need to see a demo where the player is playing more stealthily and the game gives a better sense of how sophisticated the AI is.

Top Bottom