• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Sullichin

So just ran across this image online...does the game ACTUALLY look like this????

med_newUploads_2012_0815_5b4951fa675ed237c31032336e02136f_120815_10am_FC3_screen_SP_Hunting_panther_1_Gamescom.jpg

Pretty much, that shot might be downsampled/anti aliased out the ass but it looks amazing on PC.

Majanew

Banned
So just ran across this image online...does the game ACTUALLY look like this????

med_newUploads_2012_0815_5b4951fa675ed237c31032336e02136f_120815_10am_FC3_screen_SP_Hunting_panther_1_Gamescom.jpg

Take that image, add some aliasing, a frame-rate that's constantly jumping around in the 20's that makes the environment judder/blur, and add some nasty screen-tearing -- then you have Far Cry 3 on 360. Seems like a good game that is buried under terrible performance. It caused eye fatigue. lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pretty much, that shot might be downsampled/anti aliased out the ass but it looks amazing on PC.

The only part that looks a bit "unreal" to me is the panther, but otherwise that could pass as a downsampled PC shot. Although it's worth noting that the other areas in the game, like towns, don't look quite as good. The dark lighting in that shot is flattering too.

Hagi

It's a good thing this so much fun because the story is offensively bad. Looked up the other ending after finishing it earlier
would be a funny twist if Jason was infertile lol

It's a good thing this so much fun because the story is offensively bad. Looked up the other ending after finishing it earlier
That's all I kept thinking during that cutscene, all of that would have been for nothing, lol.

Rufus

It's still risky. One shot might actually not be enough, you know?

NIN90

Holy shit the game did the whole "get knocked out and wake up somewhere else" thing like 3 or 4 times during the last 30 minutes. Horrible pacing.

cilonen

I've never played a game that's as much of a paradox as this. I hate the story, hate all of the characters and have no empathy whatsoever for any of them - but the game itself is so much fun! I love the open nature and the sheer amount of stuff to do and numerous ways to do it.

I hate the "get knocked out by the last dude in the entire place after butchering your way through a mission" trope, but on the other hand, which other game lets you hunt a black panther with a bow and arrow.

conman

Holy shit the game did the whole "get knocked out and wake up somewhere else" thing like 3 or 4 times during the last 30 minutes. Horrible pacing.
What do you mean? It's an open-world game. All open-world games are horribly paced.

But if you're talking about how cheesy it is to rely on such an over-done contrivance, then, yes, it is cheesy as hell. This game's about as full of cheese as a lasagna and baked brie fondue. That's one of its charms IMO.

finally finished it. not bad. I would like them to add more mystical stuff for the next game, but no more regular joe character.

EDIT: really digging these credit musics

TTG

When you get to the second island, can you still travel back to the first one and do the stuff you still have left to do there?

The cool way to do it is to climb that tall mountain that's towards the western part of the second island, the one with a little house at the peak. Then you can just take the hang glider back to the first island, to almost any point on the map actually. It's great.

Also, there's fast travel.

FerranMG

Welp, finished the game yesterday.

The open world is amazing, and the gameplay is super fun, but the history keeps getting worse and worse
the ending having to choose to save your gf or that Citra bitch, lol

The best feeling is clearing an entire pirate's camp without getting noticed and with perfect timing in your actions: scan everyone from the top of a nearby mountain, then double death from above take down and off go a couple of guards, turn off the alarms, snipe the guard on the watchtower, throw a rock to make a guy look in another direction, get behind him, chain takedown two or three guys and finish up by throwing a knife from the last chained takedown to the last standing guard.
So awesome.

Unlocking the wind suit was also one of the best things to do. Moving through the island became much easier and faster.

Overall, what I missed the most is more stuff to do (or more varied), and more rewards.
I finished the game and haven't completed most of the side missions, but have no interest at all in doing them: there's no new weapons for me to get, no more perks or skills, no achievements...
I could have kept on playing the game for more than the ~25 hours it lasted for me.

The story is highly inconsequential, but the worst is that the story missions are also the least exciting things to do. Special mention to the ones in which you have to protect someone and they keep fucking dying.

But still, a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed. And very happy to having been able to enjoy it, because I couldn't play Far Cry 2 due to the motion sickness it gave me, so I nearly skipped 3.

Have they announced any DLC for 360?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Is PSN down? or does Farcry3 hate me?

i just threw in the Farcry3 in, and im suppose to DL this 1.03 Update, but the bar's not moving. And its only 95MB

I know my internet is fine, im on GAF and streaming inauguration.

i bought it on amazon, installed it and im getting SHOCKING performance: about 24-27fps according to fraps.
3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 660ti
dx9, quality set to optimal (which is a combination of medium and low)
is that normal?

legacyzero

Banned
i bought it on amazon, installed it and im getting SHOCKING performance: about 24-27fps according to fraps.
3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 660ti
dx9, quality set to optimal (which is a combination of medium and low)
is that normal?

Pretty much, yes.

I have a 670, and she fluctuated between 20 and 50. Shit was all over the place.

EDIT: well, for DX9? Hmmmm ya got me there..

Someone up for a round of co op on the ps3?

I really want my last trophy and its always sidetracked and ready or not and not payback :/

Feel free to add me. My username is the same without the space.

So i just got back into the game and arrived in the latter half and decided to do a quest called Home Delivered. Well it looks like the devs are fans of 30 Rock. The npc just said this area was spooky and scary like a werewolf bar mitzvah. Lol this game never ceases to amaze.

Dawg

The checkpoint/save system is kinda bugging me. Sometimes when I die, I start at a checkpoint just two seconds before my death. That's fine. There are times I lose a radio tower, stuff I crafted etc though. It's weird.

Just recently, I captured a radio tower, went down with the zipline and got killed by an enemy several minutes later. When I revived, the radio tower was hidden again.

Amir0x

Banned
"At least we're not on the Island with the Dinosaurs"
~ random privateer in Far Cry 3

why...why aren't we as gamers on the island with Dinosaurs!? Far Cry islandverse with giant dinosaurs hunting you everywhere and some mystery about trying to get back to your parallel universe or some such stupid shit to use as an excuse while you're traveling through time and the island changes each time you shift to a different time period; cities grow and fall, outfit styles go in-and-out of style, music and culture unique to each period and mission structure requiring some shifting between time zones to solve some island puzzles

*swoon* at this idea

Borrowed this from a friend, been playing for the last few days.

It's a fun a game, but it can be really repetitious. Kind of reminds me of the first Assassin's Creed, where you start completing missions in route patterns - Tower, Outpost, Hunt, Relics, Assassin, etc. - wash, rinse, repeat.

The story sections are really up and down - sometimes I refuse to progress in the story because the gameplay in those sections are really mediocre. And what's up with the lame fetch quests? (The cheating husband one was so horrible - go the house-look-come back - seriously??). Also, the economy system is kind of dumb since money seems to be plentiful and is never an issue.

A beautiful game with some glaring flaws, but definitely worth a play. I don't know if I have the attention-span to finish it though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A beautiful game with some glaring flaws, but definitely worth a play. I don't know if I have the attention-span to finish it though.

I would recommend just skipping most of the side content, or at least saving it for post-game content, should you choose to continue playing after the credits roll. I agree with your complaints, the side content is generally shit, so I avoided most of it and just stuck with the story missions.

I would recommend just skipping most of the side content, or at least saving it for post-game content, should you choose to continue playing after the credits roll. I agree with your complaints, the side content is generally shit, so I avoided most of it and just stuck with the story missions.

Yeah, at this point I'm just gonna blaze through the story. I "get" the cyclical pattern of the side-quests now so I'll save them til later if I'm still into playing more after the credits roll. It's disappointing that they didn't mesh the story and the side stuff better.

Dead Man

Okay, so I finally played it. Wow, so great, and so shit. Gameplay is awesome, world is awesome. Music was going to be shit, but the main theame and intro track redeem it. Terrible QTE boss fights. Too much 'fade to black/white, hey look where you are now' laziness.

The AI is massively improved over 2, makes stealth worthwhile but not a win button like some games. Still some shitty routines and behaviours, I think they are still too fast to locate you from a gunshot only sometimes.

I think I would like the story better if I was a middle class American, all of the characters, Jason included just sound like douches all the time. That is kind of the point, I know, but it is to the degree I can't really empathise with any of them.

Anyway, much better than I expected, now I have to go get all this red off the map.

Oh, I love that there are no MP only trophies.

Just got this today. Is UPlay anything but a glorified launcher? From what I've gathered, I've gotta scrounge up the installers for DLC and patches myself, not to mention the installer for the game itself. This kind of thing should be automatic by now :/

Finished it. It was a fun messing around on the island. I didn't think the story was too bad - a little ridiculous, yes - but kind of original too. Freed all the villages, grabbed like 50 relics, maxed out the tats, did all the Raykat challenges, etc. - a lot more to do but I'm pretty much done with this game - it gets a little grinding and repetitive. I had to restart a few missions because of some random bug like getting stuck on a rock, villages not freeing even though everyone's dead, or some dude seeing a body like 5000 yards away (WTF?). The game has many glaring and super-frustrating flaws, but somehow it keeps you coming back for more. Good times.

Birbo

Just beat this last night and really enjoyed it. Took over all the ememy camps & unlocked all the radio towers, but didn't do too many side quests. It's the first game I've played through on my new PC I built over the holidays, so the visuals were really quite stunning for me. Gameplay was great as well. Guns felt good, the smoothness of getting into a car and driving away was nice and knifing someone, then throwing the knife into someone else's head for a kill was pure awesomeness. Loved taking over enemy camps...surveying the area, marking the enemies, sneaking in and knifing someone, then shutting off the alarms and finishing everyone else off. Great stuff.

Story was a mixed bag, but I'm ok with that. Vaas was one of the best villians ever and even Hoyt had his moments for me. I chose the "good" ending first
sure the friends were all vapid jerks, but how could I kill them?
but then loaded up my last save to see the other
Sex: good! Knife to the gut: not so good!
Glad I did the "good" ending first.

Seanspeed

Banned
I have almost everything unlccked already, most all the skills I want and I haven't even gotten to the 2nd island yet. Now I'm bored.

Couple of questions, this game seems to be running like shit on my high end hardware.

Is .net 3.5 absolutely needed instead of just using .net 4, as related to performance?

During install I skipped over that, the game launches up and everything fine.

It's probably hbao/hdao running at 2560x1440, I didn't realize this game was so meaty.

Well, did you try switching them off? Don't leave us hanging here.

I didn't think anyone even cared lol, yep turning it down to ssao, not horizon based or high def ambient occlusion helped a lot. I had to turn a lot of stuff down to be fair. Also went down to 1920x1200.

Also turned shadows from ultra high to high, alpha to coverage down from enhanced to standard, and played around with 4/8 aa samples. The biggest difference was simply the AA samples, makes me think something is off with latest amd beta drivers, because it's a pretty big difference between 4/8.

Pretty impressive game visually, I've been playing the last three hours :)

I hate posting specs, because I never give a shit when people do but I'm running a 3770k @ 4.5 and an overclocked 6970.

Kabuto

Since we're taking about graphics, I've been running the game fine but the only problem I have consistently is the blood looks really weird. It looks really digital(?) and out of place. Any recommendations on what to do? I'm running the game on Ultra with a gtx 670 if that matters.

P.S. this game is definitely one of my favorite games of all time. Just got
to the 2nd island and I love how it's so different from the first one.

Rufus

I didn't think anyone even cared lol, yep turning it down to ssao, not horizon based or high def ambient occlusion helped a lot. I had to turn a lot of stuff down to be fair. Also went down to 1920x1200.
I just ask because I hate to see threads on support forums and such where someone has a problem but then never reports back to anyone if the suggested fixes worked or, worse yet, they say "figured it out" or "got it myself" and never detail what they did.

Kabuto

Just finished the game and it is definitely GOTY 2012 for me and one of my favorite games period. Gameplay is perfect, but the ending definitely disappointed me. I chose the
good ending and was disappointed in how there was no closure. Jason's just going to go home to mom and dad with tattoos and tell them Grant is dead?
Vaas was an amazing character and I wish that he was a separate faction from Hoyt, instead of being under his rule. I agree with everyone in that he died too quickly. Also, it was kind of a small thing, but I loved how the radio towers had a little bit of platforming to them. Made it fun to climb them every time. But yeah even with the bad ending, I still love this game.

lmpaler

So is it just me or (for safety reasons, potential spoilers below)

Was the chase scene after you rescue Liza just very underwhelming? I mean they were yelling at each other like they were going fast, you know, how a real chase is suppose to be. But this was like, very slow and blah.

Granted until I get my rig in a few months I am playing on the PS3, but I did search for a video about this and it seemed like either a bug or about the same as my experience.

Pyronite

Pretty significant changes in the newly announced patch.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/753983-New-Features-and-Changes-in-Far-Cry-3
New Features and Changes in Far Cry 3

Player feedback is an important part any game’s community. The ability to get first-hand impressions from players and what they think about the product is vital to make a game even more enjoyable. Thanks to the feedback, we are able to expand upon or add to the game experience.

During the games first few months, the Far Cry 3 Team has been collecting feedback from our players; those who enjoy the storyline, those who play online as well as our map makers. New functionality has been requested, and some have suggested improvements to already existing features. So here are some of the features that can be expected in upcoming patches:

Single Player: Ability to Reset Outposts

A big part of Far Cry 3’s single player experience is taking over the outposts manned by Vaas’s pirates and Hoyt’s privateers. These outposts, when taken, offer a safe place to resupply as well as a base of operations when exploring new parts of the Rook Islands.

Taking over an outpost as a player also presents a fun challenge; everything from how to approach the outpost to what weapons and tactics to use. Hence, a lot of community members have requested to be able to ‘reset’ the outposts, so that they can be taken-over again.

Here is how it works:

• After conquering all the outposts and completing the game, the player can reset the outposts by selecting “Reset Outposts” in the gameplay options menu.
• Doing this will reset and make all Outposts hostile again. All incomplete side missions and quests will become hidden. In order to finish the incomplete side missions, you will have to retake the outposts again.

http://i.imgur.com/dQw6jgm.jpg

Single Player: MASTER - A New Difficulty Setting

For those that have already completed the game on Adventurer, Survivor or Warrior settings and are looking for the next bill challenge, the all-new MASTER difficulty setting will be added in an upcoming patch of the game. Seasoned veterans will find themselves challenged by more aggressive wildlife, tougher pirates, and more deadly privateers. Your skills as a master of the Rook Islands will be tested.

http://i.imgur.com/QZApt30.jpg
 
Multiplayer: Feedback on User-Created Maps

The feedback system (while already having some information that is useful for other players looking for maps) has been expanded upon to give more information to the map makers. A new, more intuitive feedback interface and the addition of “feedback tags” have been added.

http://i.imgur.com/oCcLi3A.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hbkc6xC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wHqpo6c.jpg

Multiplayer: New Beta Map Testing and Spectating for Map Makers

The Problem:
With the current system, when a map maker has finished their map, they upload and publish it, essentially just sending it out "into the wild". They are hoping that it will get sufficient plays in order to get some valuable feedback. With a ballooning amount of user-made maps, this becomes harder and harder. The map maker can also have hard time finding enough players to play the map with, so they can judge for themselves where the map can be improved.

The Solution:
1. Someone makes a map in the editor and uploads or publishes it.
2. They start their map with a special option called “Start Beta Test”.
3. Other players who wish to help out with testing new maps, can join the new Beta Test Playlist or go into the Map Archive where all current maps in Beta Test will be displayed.
4. While in Beta test mode, the map creator can use the new spectating feature to monitor how their map is played.
5. After the round is finished, the players give feedback that the mapmaker can then use to improve the map.

http://i.imgur.com/TYTlzPf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/igM3CrY.jpg

Multiplayer: Find Other Maps by the Same Author

Suppose you play a map you really like, and you want to find more maps by that same author. You’d favorite the map, go to the Map Archive and (after the patch has been implemented) search for more maps from the same author. It shines the spotlight on a good authors’ other maps, and also gives the author an incitement to improve all the maps he/she has uploaded and published.

Multiplayer: Removing Idle Kick Time in Custom Matches

Far Cry 3 removes idle players from a match after a few minutes, to ensure the quality of online play. This works well in the standard playlists to weed out inactive players. But players of custom matches have told us that they typically like a much longer wait time before that happens, or want it removed completely. So in keeping with your requests: from now on, “idle kick” is disabled in private and custom matches (MP and Co-Op).

Multiplayer: “Skip Map” Voting System

The community has told us that the voting system for skipping a map in the user map playlists lacks a certain degree of visibility and provides too short a window for people to cast their vote. We have now made it more visible and also extended the time people have to cast their vote.

Top Bottom