• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Ledsen

Once again, I REALLY recommend DX11 so you can use Alpha to Coverage on Enhanced (very small fps hit). Hugely enhances the IQ, the shimmering trees were buggin the hell out of me before.

Sethos

Banned
Once again, I REALLY recommend DX11 so you can use Alpha to Coverage on Enhanced (very small fps hit). Hugely enhances the IQ, the shimmering trees were buggin the hell out of me before.

Odd, I have mine to none and there's no shimmering here.

You can also turn off SSAO by changing either the 1, 2 or 3 under SSAO in the config file to a 0. You still get the other DX11 features but without the weird shadows around objects (plus I think I got a small fps boost).

scitek

Alright, I'm running in DX9 with everything maxed and SMAA, and I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps. Looks and plays nicely. I'll stick with it and save DX11 for future play-throughs with MSAA and downsampling.

Are you running DX9? Your 6850 is supposedly about equal to my 560Ti, and I'm running everything on High except Post Proc and Shadows on Medium in DX11 to get 60 fps.

Well I'm running on DX11 now and it runs fine between 40-60 FPS depending on what's going on with these adjusted settings:

Everything maxed out but Shadows on High, Geometry on High and Post Processing on High
Ambient Occlusion on HBAO
Alpha to Coverage on Enhanced
MSAA set to off

And I figured out some things that Post Processing seems to do on Ultra and Very High, it seems that a form of FXAA is missing on High as is Motion Blur entirely. Hopefully someone finds a way to adjust these settings individually since maybe there is more but that's all I could spot so far :/

And can someone maybe explain something about Ambient Occlusion for me? I know what it does but it has some very strange effects on my end such as:

SSAO: Supposedly the least taxing option but it makes my card notably louder
HBAO: Looks better and is supposed to be more taxing but actually makes my card quieter o.o
HDAO: Looks best of them all since it's very subtle but sets my card on a noise level between SSAO and HBAO

So yeah I'm a bit confused about that xD

noomi

So with all the different AO options ingame, I'm having a hard time deciding which one I should be using and which one is the best for visuals.

Running on nvidia here, does that mean I can only use SSAO/HBAO? HDAO is for AMD cards only from what I understand?

Which is the best option for visuals? SSAO better than HBAO/HDAO? or HBAO/HDAO better than SSAO?

Anyone?

Sethos

Banned
So with all the different AO options ingame, I'm having a hard time deciding which one I should be using and which one is the best for visuals.

Running on nvidia here, does that mean I can only use SSAO/HBAO? HDAO is for AMD cards only from what I understand?

Which is the best option for visuals? SSAO better than HBAO/HDAO? or HBAO/HDAO better than SSAO?

Anyone?

No, there's no vendor exclusive AO.

SSAO is the fastest with a poor accuracy on the AO. Creates a lot of halo effects.

HBAO is a bit more precise, takes a bit more of an FPS but still has some halo effects but not too bad.

HDAO is the most precise, takes a pretty hit on FPS for some but in this variation it seems almost invisble.

I opted for HBAO.

Anyone else think the Ultra DX11 shadows look kind of bad? They have the whole "becoming smoother as they go along" look which is neat, but the base of the shadows always looks bad and that's what you're seeing mostly.

noomi

No, there's no vendor exclusive AO.

SSAO is the fastest with a poor accuracy on the AO. Creates a lot of halo effects.

HBAO is a bit more precise, takes a bit more of an FPS but still has some halo effects but not too bad.

HDAO is the most precise, takes a pretty hit on FPS for some but in this variation it seems almost invisble.

I opted for HBAO.

Thanks for the clarification sir.

My GPU is all over the place with this game. Any ideas why? I tried V-Sync on and off, windowed and fullscreen and it is still the same. The game is also stuttering like crazy.

specs:
2600k @ 4.2ghz
AMD 7950 3gb
8GB RAM

Even with everything on lowest and no dx11, it is still like that.

Were you playing the tutorial? If so, it's a mix of indoor and outdoor areas, so it's pretty normal your GPU was being pushed to 100% outdoors and less indoors.

Also, guys, I added the farcry_dx11.exe to the Nvidia Control Panel, and turned on FXAA. MSAAx0 ingame. I see NO jaggies while playing normally. Standing still I don't see them either. I swear I looked for them, they just weren't there. If not a perfect IQ, a near perfect IQ by my standards. Definitely a solution to try which will provide awesome results and no fps hit.

Got my upgrades yesterday too. From a GTX285, which I can install again if anyone wants me to test the card with this game, to a 660ti. 60fps with drops only to the 50s. Running everything maxed out with the aforementioned MSAAx0 and FXAA on CP, SSAO and Alpha to coverage disabled. Once I turn down post processing, this will be a 100% 60fps game.

Also overclocked a CPU for the first time in my life. i7 920@ 3.4Ghz.

1680x1050 though.

Hope this helped.

rouken

You can also turn off SSAO by changing either the 1, 2 or 3 under SSAO in the config file to a 0. You still get the other DX11 features but without the weird shadows around objects (plus I think I got a small fps boost).

where is this config file? i just stumbled upon an xml file in the far cry 3 folder in my docs is that the one to change?

Ledsen

Were you playing the tutorial? If so, it's a mix of indoor and outdoor areas, so it's pretty normal your GPU was being pushed to 100% outdoors and less indoors.

Also, guys, I added the farcry_dx11.exe to the Nvidia Control Panel, and turned on FXAA. MSAAx0 ingame. I see NO jaggies while playing normally. Standing still I don't see them either. I swear I looked for them, they just weren't there. If not a perfect IQ, a near perfect IQ by my standards. Definitely a solution to try which will provide awesome results and no fps hit.

Got my upgrades yesterday too. From a GTX285, which I can install again if anyone wants me to test the card with this game, to a 660ti. 60fps with drops only to the 50s. Running everything maxed out with the aforementioned MSAAx0 and FXAA on CP, SSAO and Alpha to coverage disabled. Once I turn down post processing, this will be a 100% 60fps game.

Also overclocked a CPU for the first time in my life. i7 920@ 3.4Ghz.

1680x1050 though.

Hope this helped.

FXAA removes jaggies but it also makes everything really blurry. If you compare screenshots it's very obvious. SMAA works similarly, but looks much better and doesn't blur nearly as much. I don't know if the SMAA injector works here though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Afterburner limit to 60 fixed it for me.

I'm Playing at 30 since I can't stand the frequent drops under 60. I capped it to 30 in inspector and been fiddling around with different vsync / triplebuff settings but to no avail.

Ledsen

I'm Playing at 30 since I can't stand the frequent drops under 60. I capped it to 30 in inspector and been fiddling around with different vsync / triplebuff settings but to no avail.

Just lower your settings for a constant 60 mang! Doubling your fps makes WAYYYYY more difference than a couple of extra subtle visual effects.

Corky

Just lower your settings for a constant 60 mang! Doubling your fps makes WAYYYYY more difference than a couple of extra subtle visual effects.

I'm starting to realize that. Many of the settings I can barely tell any difference between however I'm sure one of the worst culprits is the HDAO, but dear god ssao and even to a certain extent hbao makes me want to put my head in a tiger's mouth.

Playing at 30? Jesus man :(

Hey man, those are the times, a cpu close to 5ghz and a 400 dollar gpu only takes me so far you know? These multiplat games man, they're so next gen my pc doesn't know what to do.

Sethos

Banned
I'm starting to realize that. Many of the settings I can barely tell any difference between however I'm sure one of the worst culprits is the HDAO, but dear god ssao and even to a certain extent hbao makes me want to put my head in a tiger's mouth.

Then turn off AO

Diggler

Do you guys have horrible, nasty dithering when objects fade from low quality to high quality as you approach them? I have it on everything and it's really quite distracting. You can see it quite clearly if you find a parked car and walk back and forth to it repeatedly. Very weird "speckly" effect.

Sethos

Banned
Do you guys have horrible, nasty dithering when objects fade from low quality to high quality as you approach them? I have it on everything and it's really quite distracting. You can see it quite clearly if you find a parked car and walk back and forth to it repeatedly. Very weird "speckly" effect.

Yes, the LOD switching is horrendous. Especially noticed it inside a house as the carpets were drawn, looks like some sort of digital drawing effect, black pixel blur.

Hmm I don't know if I'm on to something but I have a feel it's the games internal FXAA or whatever that kills Post Processing on Very High and Ultra. It might be a bug but for testing reason I enabled Morphological Filtering in Catalyst and ever since then the difference between Ultra and High are 3 FPS according to FRAPS o.o

Or not... I just restarted the game and Post Process is as bad as ever again... And this time dropping it to Medium brings me near constant 50-60FPS when before Medium didn't do much different from High, this game has some very weird quirks going on D: I would buy the game a second time if only someone would provide a detailed description of whatever Post Processing does... I know I must have said that about four times now but that's some sort of technical OCD I have :p

n0n44m

Anyone know a fix to the stuttering?

turn off all monitoring software and stuff in the background

like I said earlier I can get smooth 60 fps at 2880*1620 downsampled, but when I fired it up this morning it was anything but smooth ... only when I closed Chrome, EVGA Precision X and some other stuff the stuttering was gone again

also I need to set resolution to 1080p and back to 2880 everytime I boot the game, else it will just play at 1080p without V-Sync despite having the settings menu set to 2880+Vsync ? also alt-tab = automatically set back to Borderless Window at 1080p ...

so all in all happy I can get it to run at a smooth downsampled 60 fps but the game has a lot of weird quirks going on

Corky

C:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3

Open GamerProfile.xml

Find SSAOLevel="X"

Set to "0".

Should do the trick.

Bless your ass it worked. 2560x1440, ultra preset, dx9,no aa, no ao. 60 fps and gpu headroom to breathe ( albeit conservative ).

turn off all monitoring software and stuff in the background

like I said earlier I can get smooth 60 fps at 2880*1620 downsampled, but when I fired it up this morning it was anything but smooth ... only when I closed Chrome, EVGA Precision X and some other stuff the stuttering was gone again

I see, gonna give it a shot.

Corky

Good my son, next time I hear about you using 30FPS I will hop in my longboat and find you.

Now now let's not be too hasty, find me a card with the performance of sli 670s all neatly packed in a single card single gpu solution and I'm there!

Portugeezer

1600x900, DX11, mostly medium with high textures, 2xMSAA.

I have a HD 5850 with Phenom X4 840 @3.2GHz.

I get about 30 to 35fps as the lowest, average seems to be about 35 to 40fps though. the odd loading slowdown goes to 25fps for a second.

I had several things open in the background as I played the first tutorial mission though, so I don't know if that affected performance much, but it seems to be about what I expected.

Portugeezer

Alright, I'm running in DX9 with everything maxed and SMAA, and I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps. Looks and plays nicely. I'll stick with it and save DX11 for future play-throughs with MSAA and downsampling.

Wait what, DX9 runs better than DX11 on DX11 cards?

ss_lemonade

Yes, the LOD switching is horrendous. Especially noticed it inside a house as the carpets were drawn, looks like some sort of digital drawing effect, black pixel blur.
LOD on the 360 version is laughably bad. I once noticed a car turn into some sort of boxy figure that looked even worse than anything out of virtua racing... Hopefully the PC version doesn't share the same problem

n0n44m

anyone who has a 690 post their performance yet?

im expecting 60fps when i get this thang tommorow

there are some 670/680 SLI results in here so you should get sort of the same performance right :) running stock or overclocked?

Now now let's not be too hasty, find me a card with the performance of sli 670s all neatly packed in a single card single gpu solution and I'm there!

7970-ln2s3o2x.jpg

neatly packed? ha! just have your mom/sister/gf/wife pour in some Liquid Nitrogen every 5 minutes while you hunt tigers boars

iNvid02

small oc, and yeah you're right, maybe better performance since im only at 1080p now. man i wanna play this

edit: thanks zop

Zophop

anyone who has a 690 post their performance yet?

im expecting 60fps when i get this thang tommorow

Average on my 690 is 74fps when downsampling from 2560x1440 with everything on Ultra and MSAA off. It can be somewhat erratic though, I've seen it drop as low as the mid 30's when going in a hut.

Edit: No worries dude, I'll be dropping down the post processing like suggested by Sethos tonight so I'll post some more impressions then.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I just purchased two EVGA GTX680 FTW+ (KR-3687) with the intention to run them in SLI. I was wondering if anyone is knowledgable enough to let me know if this configuration with an I5 2500k processor and 4 gigs of ram will be able to run this game at a good framerate with good settings. Thanks!

n0n44m

Average on my 690 is 74fps when downsampling from 2560x1440 with everything on Ultra and MSAA off. It can be somewhat erratic though, I've seen it drop as low as the mid 30's when going in a hut.

Edit: No worries dude, I'll be dropping down the post processing like suggested by Sethos tonight so I'll post some more impressions then.

did you also change SLI bits to " 0x0C1902F5 " like he posted ? Game ran fine without doing that for me, until some particular gunfight where the framerate suddenly tanked (doesn't happen every gunfight?) ... hasn't happened yet with those bits adjusted so I guess they work

I just purchased two EVGA GTX680 FTW+ (KR-3687) with the intention to run them in SLI. I was wondering if anyone is knowledgable enough to let me know if this configuration with an I5 2500k processor and 4 gigs of ram will be able to run this game at a good framerate with good settings. Thanks!

sure, just get that CPU to around 4.5 GHz and follow the settings in this thread :)

although you might want some more memory in the future, but that hasn't got anything to do with framerates

My CPU is overclocked to 4.6 GHz at the moment. Do you think I can get better performance than console version?

if consoles released in 2006 perform better than a 4.6 Ghz 2500K + 680 SLI then we should all go find a new hobby :)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
did you also change SLI bits to " 0x0C1902F5 " like he posted ? Game ran fine without doing that for me, until some particular gunfight where the framerate suddenly tanked (doesn't happen every gunfight?) ... hasn't happened yet with those bits adjusted so I guess they work

sure, just get that CPU to around 4.5 GHz and follow the settings in this thread :)

My CPU is overclocked to 4.6 GHz at the moment. Do you think I can get better performance than console version?

Gibbo

Hey guys - I'm 7870 user here. I've got my settings on High at the moment (and DX9). Resolution 1080. Seems like the only setting that keeps me at 60fps. The moment I change it to very high, i lose about 15-20 fps.

Does that sound about right for my card?

Yea the AO in this game is pretty absurd. None of the settings look any good to me, with SSAO and HBAO looking chunky or something. I switched back to DX11 with some of the suggestions, and will be turning off AO in my next session. Game runs a bit better than last night in DX11 - I can certainly tell the difference, but DX9 also looks great.

Man, I hate treking across the map to a radio tower only to die in gunfire steps away. They didn't get rid of respawning checkpoints, they only made them mobile and often :p

scitek

Bless your ass it worked. 2560x1440, ultra preset, dx9,no aa, no ao. 60 fps and gpu headroom to breathe ( albeit conservative ).

Oh, you play at 1440p? I'm at 1080 and can max out DX9 and maintain 60fps (with a few rare drops) with a 2500k @ 4.5GHz and a factory OC'd 670 using SMAA. BTW, I don't like the ringing around characters with the SSAO, but the game looks incredibly flat without SSAO at all. I wonder if you can maybe force driver AO with Nvidia cards. Far Cry 2 could.

Top Bottom