• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 keyart revealed

erawsd

I predict this is going to go hard on the religious nut job angle, who are a soft target, rather than the racist angle. I'd love to be surprised though.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if Ubisoft even touches on any issues of race. I imagine the leaks would've mentioned it if it did. I bet you'll play a white cowboy type going after crazy militia of non-descript religious devotion.

So it's controversial for this game to portray that racism is bad? Doesn't quite a bit of media do that these days. (TV, Movies, etc.)

Looks to me like it's more about this fictional (apparent) white supremacy group than it is about christianity.

1) Yeah and look at the reception that media got.

2) It's clearly about both since again there's a church in the keyart? It may not be mocking american right christianity directly but it's clearly going to have a religious angle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like I'm done with Far Cry style gameplay for a while

But I am SO ready if this premise is what I think it is. I don't know if they're brave enough to go all the way on this, though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yeah, I'd be shocked if Ubisoft even touches on any issues of race. I imagine the leaks would've mentioned it if it did. I bet you'll play a white cowboy type going after crazy militia of non-descript religious devotion.

What if the main character is black?

Why is everyone so convinced this game is controversial?
Religious imagery and likely story elements, and not in a good light
A cult/group with far right ideology as an antagonist
A modern American setting + guns + religion

All that in today's current fucked up political situation

Vice

Huh? Look it up. Ubisoft will get a shitstorm of problems with this art, trust me.
And it won't matter that it's a "design decision". Veterans will see it and flip out.
That may be the point. They are also usig a US flag for a tablecloth.

I was really hoping they'd move away from the formula of the last 3 games, but even the way they have the bow just sitting there tells me they probably aren't. The idea of going after a cult or something is cool but I'm just so bored of the Far Cry gameplay formula.

I know Far Cry games are not MP but if ubi makes this co-op i can see this being the next GTA V, just see how well Ghost Recon did.

OffT: some of you guys like to play the victim..

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
No other flag flies above the U.S. flag in the United States. Ubisoft WILL be changing this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Chris R

Looks awesome!!!!!!!

Just hope the gameplay loop has been updated... would suck if Horizon does Farcry better than Farcry.

That may be the point. They are also usig a US flag for a tablecloth.

It isn't a proper US flag, they have replaced the stars with their own religious cross symbol.

Toa TAK

Banned
What if the main character is black?

I'd be impressed if they went that far. Not just implementation, but being able to deliver on the social commentary.

They did for ACIII Liberation and Freedom Cry, but those were either a spin-off handheld or DLC. I'm not sure if they're going to do it for a huge mainline entry for Far Cry, despite 4.

I'd love to be wrong though.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Love the vibe however seeing the weapons etc I get the feeling (I hope it isnt) just another copy and paste of ol far cry games. Give me a littel different gameplay, give me a villian I love to hate but LET ME SEE THE FUCKER MORE OFTEN, dont do radio and dont make it sparse.

Day 1 buy if the game somehow stands on its own and uses a different formula while having the same great gameplay

Kinyou

You sure proved him wrong! (he's right. It's a generalization. If it doesn't apply to you, why are you mad? Unless it does apply to you)
What kind of argument is that? I guess every kind if generalisation is okay because only those guilty of it would get mad? Isn't it more logical that he'd get mad if it doesn't apply to him?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
1) Yeah and look at the reception that media got.

2) It's clearly about both since again there's a church in the keyart? It may not be mocking american right christianity directly but it's clearly going to have a religious angle.

Look at the church though. There's no depiction of a cross or crucifix, only the cult's fictional logo. A church doesn't necessarily mean Christianity, only that it's a place of worship for any number of religions.

Also you guys are giving way, WAY too much credit to the folks that would be offended by this. Most of them are probably to thick to realize it's a reference to the alt-right groups in the US.

Edit: The more I look at it I'm tempted to say this isn't really an alt-right group as much as it is just a bunch of religious cultist nutters. The individual tied up front is clearly white.

TheRed

Spent a good amount of time in Montana... and some "tropical" areas in South America... id have to argue the opposite i'm sorry. Montana is absolutely gorgeous... but there's not much besides the usual western US landscape. Nothing wrong with that but to me tropical islands offer a much more visually interesting environment.

Also - Is that an Olsen twin on the right?! LMFAO

Well that might be but I meant more unique to gaming and I like that. I've already seen many tropical islands even just from Ubisoft games and they've started to feel samey to me. I'm sure they can make many visually interesting locations in Montana.

That's a clear reference to "The Last Supper", reinforcing the idea this has heavy religious overtones / vibes

This is gonna be really interesting.

Hell. Fucking. Yeah.

Let me be a righteous warrior fighting far-right religious extremists/domestic terrorists. I am so effing into it.

Top Bottom