• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 keyart revealed

I'll dock Ubi marks for the lazy Last Supper reference. It's not that it isn't a cool reference, it's that they did it so half-assedly.

Also, what in the dickens is up with the P-51 lol

Resident Evil 7
That was more crazy Deliverance/Hills Have Eyes-style backcountry family than an organized cult

Resident Evil 7 did this with the family who acted like a cult. I think a couple others might have in the Indie scene.
True. A Church In The Darkness is tackling a Jim Jones-esque isolated compound narrative

But I would never have expected a AAA dev to be daring enough to try this. Which is pretty sad I guess, considering how every other medium already has

rhandino

Banned
Fully this... 100%. However, (and personally) FarCry needs to disappear or reinvent itself completely. No excitement here at all. Likely the same, towers/hunting/side-quests/rebels/quippy bad guy tropes. Cant see this doing well at all. Primal was at least risky.
People have been saying this every time they announce a Far Cry game and yet every single release is a success.

YaBish

WRT the main character, if past Far Crys are anything to go on, it's probably that guy with "Sinner" on his back. So, looks like a white guy to me? If the rumours are true, you're probably a sheriff investigating someone who's gone missing or somethin'.
Far Cry 4's protag wasn't on the cover either pre-or-post controversy.

If the protagonist is a POC I expect that top liked YouTube comment to be along the lines of, "Wow Ubi is really catering to the left BLM crowd. So I guess it's okay to show white genocide in your games now? #BoycottUbisoft"

You know it's gonna happen.

I am pumped to fight some white supremacist assholes with a bazooka.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Hoping this antagonist is as good as Pagan Min but actually precent in the game for more than like 15 minutes lol

Griss

We've never gotten a game that has both done this setting/genre (at least well) or tried to do this kind of antagonist beyond the over-the-top Outlast/etc. cultists

What else in gaming has tried to do those? Those are areas usually reserved for film, TV, and books

I'm not disputing the unique nature of the idea, I'm just stating that I'm not interested. For me, Far Cry is all about that exotic tourism. That's why I got into the series. This seems like a wholesale turn away from that.

What is wrong with you?!!

Well, like I said above, these games are open-world tourism for me. Blood Dragon didn't deliver on that, therefore it's no wonder I didn't like it.

Iksenpets

Banned
Once you went Montana, right-wing militia is sort of where you have to go with it. They're definitely doing a religious angle; I wonder if there will be white nationalist elements to it too, or if they'll shy away from that.

Between this and Bethesda bringing a new Wolfenstein, this should be a uniquely... politically relevant E3...

Shredderi

I hope the main character is someone over the top cool like this:

marshall3.jpg

Or a female version of that.

Cool, I get to play Deliverance in a video game
The teasers made it seem more widespread IMO. Not just a compound or single family

I'm expecting more of a Preacher/Southern Bastards approach, where a town/area is under an iron grip, rather than it being a separate group

I really like the Far Cry formula but I hope they switch it up for this one. I don't want another reskinned Far Cry 3. It wouldn't surprise me if they keep things the same. It's a solid franchise for Ubisoft.

mindsale

Genuinely excited for the kinds of associations this art brings to mind.

1: That group who occupied a national park service building after claiming federal overreach for land acquisition, for one. I wonder if the AmeriCultists are trying to form a sovereign nation on US soil, which brings the main character in, wittingly or otherwise.

2: Hyper Christian / American cultists, like a contemporary BioShock Infinite. Compelling villains has always been a strong suit of this series and this looks no different. I hope there's actual empathy, and not just "herp derp red state," which given Ubisoft's track record could be a perilous balancing act.

3: Hipsters or some kind of Counterculturists looking to get away in the vast Montana wilderness? Competing for resources or mindshare with the AmeriCultists?

4: Montana as a setting for a game. Expanses of pristine trees, granite outcrops, petrified muddy badlands, gorgeous rivers, an assortment of hazardous fauna (wolves, bears, cougars).

The more I see that key art the more lazy and uninspired it seems, a shame because the premise looks interesting , going against some crazy cult in the US but the Last Supper man, really fucking lazy.

Top Bottom