• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 keyart revealed

This looks more like Far Cry than I expected. Pretty much all the Far Cry's are about someone stumbling across a maniac's personal slice of heaven and being forced to survive the locals and the psychos in charge. And this gives off that vibe. I'll keep an eye on this. Far Cry has been pretty hit and miss for me but I might jump back in.

Fully this... 100%. However, (and personally) FarCry needs to disappear or reinvent itself completely. No excitement here at all. Likely the same, towers/hunting/side-quests/rebels/quippy bad guy tropes. Cant see this doing well at all. Primal was at least risky.

Joeku

WRT the main character, if past Far Crys are anything to go on, it's probably that guy with "Sinner" on his back. So, looks like a white guy to me? If the rumours are true, you're probably a sheriff investigating someone who's gone missing or somethin'.

Banned
lol

CElPsCG.png
10/10.

If the protagonist is a POC I expect that top liked YouTube comment to be along the lines of, "Wow Ubi is really catering to the left BLM crowd. So I guess it's okay to show white genocide in your games now? #BoycottUbisoft"

Not feeling that at all. Every piece of Far Cry reveal art has always made me feel "Yes, I want to visit that place and adventure there." Well, with the exception of the shitty Blood Dragon spinoff.

But this... I don't see it. I don't see Montana's landscape being as interesting as tropical islands or Nepalese mountains, and I find the idea of christian fundamentalists as bad guys tiring already and I haven't even seen a trailer yet.
We've never gotten a game that has both done this setting/genre (at least well) or tried to do this kind of antagonist beyond the over-the-top Outlast/etc. cultists

What else in gaming has tried to do those? Those are areas usually reserved for film, TV, and books

robotrock

Banned
We've never gotten a game that has both done this setting/genre (at least well) or tried to do this kind of antagonist beyond the over-the-top Outlast/etc. cultists

What else in gaming has tried to do those? Those are areas usually reserved for film, TV, and books

Resident Evil 7

Mafia 3 was about as overt about fighting racists as a black guy as you could get in a AAA game and it sold well so there's precedent. I really hope you play as a PoC.

daman824

Far cry always has an interesting main villain. But the side villains are always forgettable. The guy in the middle is the only person that stands out here. Dissapointing

shandy706

Not feeling that at all. Every piece of Far Cry reveal art has always made me feel "Yes, I want to visit that place and adventure there." Well, with the exception of the shitty Blood Dragon spinoff.

But this... I don't see it. I don't see Montana's landscape being as interesting as tropical islands or Nepalese mountains, and I find the idea of christian fundamentalists as bad guys tiring already and I haven't even seen a trailer yet.

I love Far Cry, though, so I'll continue to give this a chance as they roll out the press materials.

Basically I'm the opposite of this guy.

What is wrong with you?!!

Mossybrew

Hope there is less annoying wildlife every ten feet in the world. I hope they got the remainder of their animal killing and skinning crap out of their system with Primal.

Resident Evil 7 did this with the family who acted like a cult. I think a couple others might have in the Indie scene.

Whompa02

Ubisoft wins at whatever the main character's skin color or gender is tbh. They positioned themselves for having the player character dealing up against a known topical hated subgroup. Easy motivation.

the compositing in that keyart is honestly terrible though.

Excited to see more!

All the dude's with the same beard looks fucking hilarious/ridiculous. Ubisoft is terrible at character design these days and they try so damn hard, iconic hair and beard combo incoming pre-order bonus for iconic bowtie and suspenders.

I hope we fight against these dudes. On the other hand if not, it could be quite damn interesting as well.

FC4 had the protagonist on the cover didn't they? Wasn't he the guy that the Antagonist had his foot on or something?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm confused how you're supposed to have a big enough fight across a large area that somehow wouldn't trigger a massive police or army response?

In previous games they were more remote but this is in modern day USA

Kinyou

Question is how far Ubisoft will actually will go with racism as theme. The keyart seems to focus more on it being a religious cult.

Think I'm in. If you're going against an American survivalist gun nutjob, I'm really into that idea.

Also really interested in rural, Mountainous Montana. They'll make it more over-the-top than it is, but it's also a really beautiful area.

lome88

American Religious Nuts? Cool.

I'm excited to see what they do with the Montana setting. One of the cooler things about Primal was that tall grass was a different kind of stealth than the typical "hide in bush" from previous games. You could essentially just crouch down in the grass and be kinda stealthy even out in the mostly open.

Montana has some impressive vistas, but some of those trailer clips of people running through the tall grass have me excited for that kind of opportunity more than any other.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I had no idea Bono from U2 grew a beard, became a cultist leader and moved to Montana. Well, I guess I should have seen that coming.

Top Bottom