• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 keyart revealed

Damerman

I think I want the player character to be either a black or native american woman. She, her husband, and her child are on a road trip when their car breaks down in Nowhere. They hike to the nearest house and are put up by a nice elderly couple who own the farmstead.

In the middle of the night, the cultists assault the house. The elderly couple try to fight back, and the cultists kill them for harboring the family. Then the cultists start to abduct her husband and child to use as sacrifices for Warrior Jesus' return and the player character starts whooping ass to stop them from leaving the farmstead.

A lot of Far Cry-esque games recently have tried to deal with the psychology of relatively normal people transforming into bloodthirsty video game player characters. They try to slowly ease the character into their role as murder machine, and have them get freaked out by the whole process.

I don't want any of that in this game. Cultists attack a home, kill the elderly, beat her up, take her husband and kid, use racial slurs; I want her to become the goddamn Doom Slayer in .02 seconds after that shit goes down. The cultists escape the farmstead with her family and a freak weather event further isolates the area from civilization, throwing the player character off the trail for a bit and forcing her to spend the rest of the game fighting her way through the entirety of the mysterious and unwelcoming landscape to exact her revenge. Batshit right-wing cultists are caged in with a maternal force of homicidal nature, and they've never had a better reason to pray. I want to play as her.

I'm sure none of that will happen. But it's fun when art stimulates the imagination like this.

agreed with every single letter and punctuation in this post.

Demoskinos

Do you guys not realize how big the US is? How open and secluded parts of it is?

You don't know how these cults have risen many times over the last 50 years and people don't notice till they have entire compounds built sometimes?

Totally. I live in southern PA and I've heard more than one story of people just like legit vanishing before. More than enough backwoods areas where you can barely get a vehicle to around here.

Exactly how many prior military members do you know? Stop stereotyping people. It makes you look just as ridiculous as the very people you are against. Don't be a hypocrite.

There is nothing wrong with owning weapons for self-defense, or just for range time. You do realize that a lot of us prior military as you poke fun of with your "tacticool" reference joined to better our lives, further our education and try and make the world a better place. I got my college education through 10 years of hard work, between deploying every 3 to 6 months for work ups that lasted 1 to 2 months, then deployments to Iraq and over seas. Just like myself there are very hard workers in the militay that don't fit in with your apparent gun nut theme. There are many of us that have been to Haiti when the tsunami hit, was there when Katrina hit and all over the world helping people that are helpless.

Before you poke at people, have some idea what they are about. I don't have a problem with any type of game and like I stated before I enjoy the fact the maybe just pushing the envelope. This game may just be a hell of a lot of fun. What I do have a problem with is hypocrites that say you shouldn't talk about people, because of who they are or where they come from, but do the very thing they speak out against.

Most military people stayed clean shaven, because they feel that the civilian world doesn't have the same order and discipline that the military affords. It just makes them feel a little closer to what they had when they were in and it is a proper appearance when going to school and look for work in the job force.

On topic, I can't wait for this game to see exactly where they take it. I enjoyed part 4 and I think I'll enjoy this one just the same.
lol You have no idea what you're talking about. Work around prior military and watch a gun culture channel or two and you'll see that what I'm saying is pretty true. It's the bro-tacticool look.But beyond that, your post is way too big compared to the blurb I posted. It's really not that serious.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really need to kill a certain group of psychos, you know what im saying, for catharsis or something. Come on UBI, you know you French wanna do it. Just do it man

Fury451

Banned
Wonder if they dared make the main character black.

Ubi has had quite a few protagonists of non-white backgrounds.

Regionally though, Native American would be a lot more fitting both in potential narrative relevance as well as practicality.

Man, I just finished the film Green Room and now I really hope there's some Neo-Nazis thrown in with these "extremists".

It's still a corporate product, I would be surprised if any game that is not a World War II game uses the term Nazis. They'll probably be neo-Nazis by a different name.

it may have came out sounding wrong, what i was getting at is i really hope UBI goes all the way and dumps all the nazi trash and shit coming out in the Trump era into this game for me to eradicate, which is completely reasonable!

Ah right. France has the biggest Muslim community in Europe which is what I thought you were getting at for a second. Ha, sorry.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ah right. France has the biggest Muslim community in Europe which is what I thought you were getting at for a second. Ha, sorry.

oh crap i didnt think of that, oops, i was thinking France is ultra liberal and just voted Macron so they might want to throw shade at the US right now, plus UBI seems to be in a position where they are about to be bought out, maybe they dont have as much to lose? Hoping for some balls.

realwords

The reveal trailer should be a whole bunch of "found footage" tapes a la David Koresh's tapes from inside the Branch Davidian compound. The first tape starting with aggressive rhetoric, and the progression of tapes showing troubling behavior by the antagonist, violent tendencies, drug use, etc.

I'm kind of hoping for a white protagonist. I personally loved Mafia 3, Lincoln Clay and his well deserved quest for revenge was amazing, but I'm wondering if making race into the central issue in this game would be a mistake.

So many other games about white protagonists gunning down people of different races are rightfully derided for varying levels of insensitivity or even racism. How about a white person who has the decency to clean up in his own back yard for once? Racists will hate that even more than a black man shooting racists. I think it'd be MORE controversial to have a so called "race traitor" be portrayed in a positive light.

Then again I think the game will lean more on the religion angle, which I also think could benefit from having a so-called "pure white Christian American" be the one to set these nutjobs straight.

If it ends up being a person of color, that's fine and it'll be interesting too(Native American would be great), but I think some of these angles should be considered before we jump to the conclusion that choosing a white guy would be their path of least resistance. Thoughts?

oh crap i didnt think of that, oops, i was thinking France is ultra liberal and just voted Macron so they might want to throw shade at the US right now, plus UBI seems to be in a position where they are about to be bought out, maybe they dont have as much to lose? Hoping for some balls.

No worries.

Hoping for some balls too.

dex3108

Ubisoft couldn't pick better moment to announce FC5

Montana Republican Greg Gianforte narrowly beat a political novice to win a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday, barely 24 hours after he was charged with assaulting a reporter who asked him about the Republican healthcare bill.

A race that was expected to be a test of President Donald Trump's political influence ahead of next year's U.S. congressional elections was jolted by the charge against Gianforte, a wealthy technology executive who had urged voters to send him to Congress to help Trump.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN18L0KE

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
lol You have no idea what you're talking about. Work around prior military and watch a gun culture channel or two and you'll see that what I'm saying is pretty true. It's the bro-tacticool look.But beyond that, your post is way too big compared to the blurb I posted. It's really not that serious.

I'm just gonna say I probably have some idea what I'm talking about with 15 years in the Marine Corps. Stop basing realife on a TV channel. There are millions of prior military members in the work force, seeing 10 of them on TV isn't pretty true.

Just like other people, military members don't like being stereotyped. However, your right it isn't that serious and I strayed pretty deep into the rabbit hole with my post. I apologize for that.

On topic: as mentioned in a post above it would be great to have a protgonist other than a white male. Maybe someone in their family is kidnapped, maybe it is the husband. The guy kneeling at the table, probably says they are kidnapping folks. Being able to put these religious cultist down sounds like a or of fun.

Shahadan

This is more Canadian than french. French Ubi is rayman and just dance and that's basically it.

sjay1994

Protagonists husband maybe?

Am I missing something?

Did they leak the protag would be female?

I still feel with this subject matter ubi might be tackling, they'd probably just do a white protag to avoid "race war allegations" since the game is intended for a large audience.

Magwik

Banned
Every time I see this thread I misread the title as Kyrat and not key art, and keep thinking of this
far-cry-4-kyrat-edition.jpg

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
A lot of protags would work for this. White for being against the bad part of white people, black for injustice of USA against them, Native American for A LOT of reasons. I just hope they up the gameplay from FC4. I kinda wanna buy this already for the antagonist choice, but I dont think I will if it is just a FC3>FC4 type upgrade. Especially with the crowded holiday season.

BBboy20

A lot of protags would work for this. White for being against the bad part of white people, black for injustice of USA against them, Native American for A LOT of reasons. I just hope they up the gameplay from FC4. I kinda wanna buy this already for the antagonist choice, but I dont think I will if it is just a FC3>FC4 type upgrade. Especially with the crowded holiday season.
THey can have all the flaws they had in 4 and I'd still play this game just to commit mass murder to white oppression.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Why would the cover art create controversy? Not sure I understand why people think that?

Trump voters(most of them) will not approve.

[ShowinShowinQUOTE=BBboy20;238120878]THey can have all the flaws they had in 4 and I'd still play this game just to commit mass murder to white oppression.[/QUOTE]

Too many good games coming out to buy things just to make a statement for me. Hoping Ubi makes it worthwhile.

Scoops

Banned
it may have came out sounding wrong, what i was getting at is i really hope UBI goes all the way and dumps all the nazi trash and shit coming out in the Trump era into this game for me to eradicate, which is completely reasonable!

I think you're going to be disappointed. Game has been in development for a couple years, since before Trump even announced his campaign probably.

The game will be more like Waco Incident/Ruby Ridge type stuff.

Plus umm it's kinda disturbing you want to play a video game so you can simulate mowing down people in real life...

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Why would the cover art create controversy? Not sure I understand why people think that?

I think you have people taking it too seriously. You have some Christians saying it makes them look bad, you have your typical White Knight types saying it is an attack on the white culture. Then you have some people slinging around that it is anti-American.

It is just a video game made by a developer that may or may not be making a political statement and they have that right. That's the beauty of free speech and the freedom to make any dang game you want and I absolutely love it.

Gun Animal

yah much like American History X, Fight Club, The Believer etc., far-right personalities actually appear to be in love with this game so far because of how attractive, charismatic & edgy the antagonists come off as. This is actually a charitable representation of right-wing extremists on Ubi's part.

edit: i'm the most far-right NeoGAF user that hasn't been banned yet and I'm very pleased by the look of this game so far, as are all my friends. In fact, most of the people I've seen offended by this are VERY MODERATE neocons and libertarians who haven't really evolved their ideological perspective beyond "SJWs are dumb." Basically the bottom of the barrel.

Moza

Some of the comments in this thread.....sheesh. Never actually played a game because I wanted to scratch some murderous itch of a certain group of people before. Might want to get yourselves checked out.

In regards to the game, the setting seems cool however I'm already greatly concerned from a gameplay point of view. The art already has it feeling like a copy of 3 and 4. Charismatic, crazy villain. Barns on fire in the back to signify liberating camps/zones. Open farmland and country areas to fill with animals to hunt for resources, etc. So basically looks like 3/4/Primal but with a new skin. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Top Bottom