• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 keyart revealed

Just call them white supremacists, bro.

No need to sugar coat it.

I hope they go all in. Let the main character be black or Mexican too. Better yet, let him be mixed black AND Mexican. It'll be like playing the movie, Fury. Good times.

Every dude has a beard. Why?

Preppers, gun nuts and tacticool guys (also former military) usually do.

I also expect a lot of huge, lifted, flat bed trucks in this game.

Mutant

Neat premise but this is Ubisoft, I'm not going to expect them to make some sort of cutting statement about 48% of the country.

shiba5

I hope they go all in. Let the main character be black or Mexican too. Better yet, let him be mixed black AND Mexican. It'll be like playing the movie, Fury. Good times.

I hope we get to "roll coal"!

Shaanyboi

Banned
So sick of this anti-American bullshit.
The image in the OP? That shouldn't be the 'America' that you spend your time defending. And it's telling that you still are...

Far Cry 5 |OT| A Rational Debate of Ideas on Economic Anxiety
url.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
imagine being legitimately upset that a band of racial extremists with likely fanatical religious ideologies are chosen as the antagonist of a video game

imagine being actually angry and upset about this representation

So sick of this anti-American bullshit.
What doesn't represent parts of America in that image? Please show me. That's the most American cover I've ever seen.

Edit:
Given the current political climate, it represent parts of the American ideology. The truth really does hurt.

Ubi did a great job because we have over 30 pages talking about a cover.

sjay1994

You guys should read up about Colorado City, Arizona. It's a town run by Fundamentalist Mormons and used to be the home of Warren Jeffs - now sitting in prison for felony child sexual assault. He had like 70 brides some of which were just children. The Government has a long history with this town and mostly turned a blind eye to what was going on there. There are little enclaves dotted all over the country that the Feds ignore because they are hot potatoes politically.

Woah. Never heard of this.

This might be how they tackle this then.

sjay1994

Has this "crazy head figure" and "tortured soul" always been a theme with the Far Cry games?

They are really starting to run it into the ground.

With that said though, the setting and idea this image portrays is still interesting.

I dunno. I think its kinda fun they created their own boxart gimmick.

They also make for fun photoshops.

Farcry4ArtMiyamotoFilsAime_zpsc73f1ad3.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Jerusalem cross on the white wolf is a nice touch.

overcast

Great art/visual. I'm not really interested in the concepts that come with the art though. Not sure Ubi has told a particularly good story with this franchise.

I'm not against it being out of the forest/tropics though.

SoulUnison

Banned
Seriously, though. Look at that dude.

If he doesn't have a bunker in his backyard with an easter egg NPC named "Kimmy," somebody screwed up.

latest

It's almost uncanny.

WiseguyMVP

A close friend from college grew up near Yellowstone on the Montana side. Still lives there today. I visited him several times over the years and he told me about friends and acquaintances who had connections to religious cults. There's also some people who have extreme views there. It's a sad aspect of a beautiful area with mostly friendly and welcoming people. Should be an interesting game. My friend from Montana said he's looking forward to it.

Actual product is likely to be a lot more tame then what this cover implies, based on the franchise's history of courting controversy with their covers...

but still, wow, Ubisoft has some huge balls taking this direction. Props.

hamsjams

I think I want the player character to be either a black or native american woman. She, her husband, and her child are on a road trip when their car breaks down in Nowhere. They hike to the nearest house and are put up by a nice elderly couple who own the farmstead.

In the middle of the night, the cultists assault the house. The elderly couple try to fight back, and the cultists kill them for harboring the family. Then the cultists start to abduct her husband and child to use as sacrifices for Warrior Jesus' return and the player character starts whooping ass to stop them from leaving the farmstead.

A lot of Far Cry-esque games recently have tried to deal with the psychology of relatively normal people transforming into bloodthirsty video game player characters. They try to slowly ease the character into their role as murder machine, and have them get freaked out by the whole process.

I don't want any of that in this game. Cultists attack a home, kill the elderly, beat her up, take her husband and kid, use racial slurs; I want her to become the goddamn Doom Slayer in .02 seconds after that shit goes down. The cultists escape the farmstead with her family and a freak weather event further isolates the area from civilization, throwing the player character off the trail for a bit and forcing her to spend the rest of the game fighting her way through the entirety of the mysterious and unwelcoming landscape to exact her revenge. Batshit right-wing cultists are caged in with a maternal force of homicidal nature, and they've never had a better reason to pray. I want to play as her.

I'm sure none of that will happen. But it's fun when art stimulates the imagination like this.

oneils

It looks like the guy who is bound has a "forever ghost" tattoo. On his arm. Anyone know what that means?

Edit: I'm gonna assume that the man tied up is a former member of ghost recon. Maybe he is indeed the protagonist, or he is someone the protagonist is meant to rescue.

Scoops

Banned
I'm definitely on the right end of the political spectrum and I think this looks really good and intriguing.

If they're going the anti-Trump route the more subtle they are in relating it to real world the more effective it'll be. If it comes off as forced and preachy it'll just come off as a propaganda piece that will quickly be dismissed and not prove any of the points it looks like they're trying to make.

My guess is the game will end up relating less to Trump and more to Ruby Ridge/Waco Incident/Jim Jones type of stuff then some posters in here are hoping though. Especially since the game has probably been in development since before Trump even announced his campaign.

I hated Far Cry 2 but I generally enjoyed Far Cry 3.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University

Exactly how many prior military members do you know? Stop stereotyping people. It makes you look just as ridiculous as the very people you are against. Don't be a hypocrite.

There is nothing wrong with owning weapons for self-defense, or just for range time. You do realize that a lot of us prior military as you poke fun of with your "tacticool" reference joined to better our lives, further our education and try and make the world a better place. I got my college education through 10 years of hard work, between deploying every 3 to 6 months for work ups that lasted 1 to 2 months, then deployments to Iraq and over seas. Just like myself there are very hard workers in the militay that don't fit in with your apparent gun nut theme. There are many of us that have been to Haiti when the tsunami hit, was there when Katrina hit and all over the world helping people that are helpless.

Before you poke at people, have some idea what they are about. I don't have a problem with any type of game and like I stated before I enjoy the fact the maybe just pushing the envelope. This game may just be a hell of a lot of fun. What I do have a problem with is hypocrites that say you shouldn't talk about people, because of who they are or where they come from, but do the very thing they speak out against.

Most military people stayed clean shaven, because they feel that the civilian world doesn't have the same order and discipline that the military affords. It just makes them feel a little closer to what they had when they were in and it is a proper appearance when going to school and look for work in the job force.

On topic, I can't wait for this game to see exactly where they take it. I enjoyed part 4 and I think I'll enjoy this one just the same.

Tajaz2426

Mhh, delicious. Maybe I should buy this game.

I totally agree, if I wasn't already going to buy this game I would do so because of his post. That type of fanatical, apparently cultist views, should not be defended in any way, shape, or form.

Really excited by the premise of this. Hell, the game could just be a reskin of 3 and 4, and the theme alone makes this a day one purchase for me.

(For an example, see the bearded white dude above me? That's a child's femur he's gnawing on.)
Ew.......
Wait really???
You guys should read up about Colorado City, Arizona. It's a town run by Fundamentalist Mormons and used to be the home of Warren Jeffs - now sitting in prison for felony child sexual assault. He had like 70 brides some of which were just children. The Government has a long history with this town and mostly turned a blind eye to what was going on there. There are little enclaves dotted all over the country that the Feds ignore because they are hot potatoes politically.
The LDS church kicked them out long ago cause they believed in that Warren Jeff figure as the prophet. Obviously the fundamentalists were wrong cause they couldn't handle the doctrines and misinterpreted them and, now many are in jail.

It's a huge stain.

Looking forward to shooting stuff, collecting shit, climbing church-towers and getting Platinum trophy after 20-30 hours. Really liked FarCry 3+4.

Tajaz2426

And I just thought the US had a gun problem for a second, thank god this isn't the case.

Right because the 3 men that broke into my home 3 years ago, even with my security system, didn't have weapons. Your absolutely correct the US has gun problems. Good on you for bringing that up. Couldn't imagine what would have happened to my 3 children and wife. I guess I could have just asked them nicely to leave, however.

The point I was trying to make is that stereotyping people is wrong. It doesn't matter the background they come from. I'll stop it here at this point as this isn't the topic to discuss these things at all. We are talking about video games.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Far Cry 5 |OT| Cucks of Duty
Far Cry 5 |OT| So much for the tolerant left stick
Far Cry 5 |OT| Assault on Calamity Bannon
Far Cry 5 |OT| The BannedGAF Simulator

Top Bottom