• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal – Bringing The Stone Age to Life

ironcreed

Banned
This actually looks interesting. I hope its good.

I have seen enough to make me believe that it will be the most interesting entry in the series for me. It's Far Cry, but something else as well that is more raw and savage. It has a totally different vibe to it in that sense.

Gray Matter

I keep going back and forth with this game. I've only played FC4 which was great, I loved the gun play, traversing and the explosions, this however lacks the gunplay that I loved from FC4 which was a big part for me, I'm not totally convinced that I can play this game to completion with prehistoric weaponry.

killroy87

Honest question: does anybody care about FC Primal?

It seems like there is very little buzz.

I want to believe. It's a setting that we see very little of in games, and the title seems to be trying to genuinely shake up the Far Cry formula in some interesting (if not proven) ways.

I will say, i find it a bit frustrating to see all the "Far Cry 4.5" talk thrown at this, when this game is leagues different from Far Cry 4, compared to how different FC4 was to FC3. If anything, this should be called Far Cry 4, and that game should have been Far Cry 3.5.

Ubisoft games aren't perfect but man, they know how to create credible worlds, that video shows a great work from many people just for the setting of the game, it must be great to explore that world and see/hear the performance of the actors!

Too bad the gameplay doesn't seem really funny, specially with melee attacks being so ... simple, weird with a setting like that.

jorkila

I became more interested in this when I realised I could buy the Apex version on Xbox from the Argentinian store for under £30 and share it on my lads Xbox also :-D

Nere

They went into that much trouble to make the language seem like something people would speak back then? I would say just use english and be done with it. It's not like everything else is realistic.

GavinUK86

I keep going back and forth with this game. I've only played FC4 which was great, I loved the gun play, traversing and the explosions, this however lacks the gunplay that I loved from FC4 which was a big part for me, I'm not totally convinced that I can play this game to completion with prehistoric weaponry.

I'm in a similar boat. I loved FC3 but got fed up with FC4 with it being so similar. This one hasn't convinced me that a bow and melee weapons for however many hours will be fun. I'll wait and see with impressions after it's release.

ironcreed

Banned
Ubisoft games aren't perfect but man, they know how to create credible worlds, that video shows a great work from many people just for the setting of the game, it must be great to explore that world and see/hear the performance of the actors!

Too bad the gameplay doesn't seem really funny, specially with melee attacks being so ... simple, weird with a setting like that.

Fortunately there are upgrades on a large skill tree and other weapons as well. Not to mention all of the help from commanding your tamed animals and doubling down on your foes. It looks completely bad ass when your wolf, lion, bear, saber tooth cat, etc leaps on an enemy's back and wraps their jaws around their neck while you nail a head shot with your bow at the same time.

Not really. I really enjoyed FC4, have pre ordered every AC game, and generally like Ubisoft games but three things have made me not preorder FCP

1. its not part of Best Buy's $10 pre order program. That makes it an automatic pre order - $38+tax to preorder, play for 2 weeks, trade in for $35-40.

2. I have grown a pretty big backlog of PS4 and Xbone games now. Currently playing Witcher 3, probably for the next 3-4 months, after that I have Fallout 4 and in between new stuff like Division, Uncharted 4, etc.

3. Ubisoft has been very aggressive in discounts the last 6 months. Syndicate with gold pass was $50 or less multiple times. Far Cry 4 gold was $20 multiple times. So why bother paying $48-60 now when in 2-3 months I bet I could buy Primal gold/deluxe/whatever for $40-50, especially as its not a multiplayer game.

Harlequin

This video was actually really interesting but most of the gameplay I've seen so far just looked kinda generic and boring, unfortunately :(.

DirtyLarry

It's an interesting idea. But... it's ubisoft...
Yeah, it's Ubisoft.
Who are only responsible for the following list of games I have either outright loved or really enjoyed...
  • Far Cry (numerous titles)
  • Splinter Cell (numerous titles)
  • Ghost Recon (numerous titles)
  • Assassin's Creed (numerous titles, especially earlier in the series)
  • Rayman Origins
  • The Crew
  • Rainbow Six (numerous titles, especially earlier in the series)
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Prince of Persia
  • DRIVER: San Francisco
  • Outland
  • This War Of Mine
  • The Division (all signs are pointing to it being good and I enjoyed the Beta)
And I can probably keep going.

So really, I am not sure what it means when you make the comment "it's Ubisoft."

You can not like their games all you want, that is your opinion and you have every right not to like them if they are not your personal taste, but to infer that by simply just stating "it's Ubisoft" is an universally accepted phrase for bad games or something is just not something I will get on board with.

Yes. They make a lot of sequels. Too many. But they made some amazing damn games to get to a place where they can make too many sequels. And I feel it does a terrible disservice to all of those people who worked damn hard on those original games that got them to the place they are today.

killroy87

Yeah, it's Ubisoft.
Who are only responsible for the following list of games I have either outright loved or really enjoyed...
  • Rayman Origins
  • The Crew
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Prince of Persia
  • Outland
  • This War Of Mine

So really, I am not sure what it means when you make the comment "it's Ubisoft."

You can not like their games all you want, that is your opinion and you have every right not to like them if they are not your personal taste, but to infer that by simply just stating "it's Ubisoft" is an universally accepted phrase for bad games or something is just not something I will get on board with.

Yes. They make a lot of sequels. Too many. But they made some amazing damn games to get to a place where they can make too many sequels. And I feel it does a terrible disservice to all of those people who worked damn hard on those original games that got them to the place they are today.

Exactly. The whole "yeah, but it's Ubisoft" argument is one of the absolute shakiest arguments that keeps popping up. It's okay to say that you don't enjoy their games, but by and large they are almost always solid products. Even The Crew is criminally underrated.

Nere

Yeah, it's Ubisoft.
  • Rayman Origins
  • The Crew
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Prince of Persia
  • Outland
  • This War Of Mine

Problem is, as you yourself wrote, most of their good games were made many years ago. Lately they have started milking 2-3 franchises like there is no tomorrow, with the quality falling as a result. You shouldn't be surprised for people not trusting the Ubisoft brand.

killroy87

Problem is, as you yourself wrote, most of their good games were made many years ago. Lately they have started milking 2-3 franchises like there is no tomorrow, with the quality falling as a result. You shouldn't be surprised for people not trusting the Ubisoft brand.

Watch Dogs, For Honor, South Park (not a new IP, but a new property for them), The Division, Grow Home, Child of Light, The Crew, Valiant Hearts, and probably something I'm forgetting. All in the last couple years.

How many new franchises do you expect one publisher to realistically put out? Or even better, name me one publisher that put out more unique IPs in a similar time frame (and I mean unique not in the opinion sense, I mean in the different from one another sense)

You can buy it in Iran now!

APCA0U.jpg

Nere

Watch Dogs, For Honor, South Park (not a new IP, but a new property for them), The Division, Grow Home, Child of Light, The Crew, Valiant Hearts, and probably something I'm forgetting. All in the last couple years.

How many new franchises do you expect one publisher to realistically put out? Or even better, name me one publisher that put out more unique IPs in a similar time frame (and I mean unique not in the opinion sense, I mean in the different from one another sense)

Small scale games from Ubisoft are really good, most people though have their big AAA games in their minds when they think about Ubisoft. Also South Park wasn't developed from them they just published it.

killroy87

Small scale games from Ubisoft are really good, most people though have their big AAA games when they think about Ubisoft. Also South Park wasn't developed from them they just published it.

I can't control what people think about, as long as they realize that their thinking is very selective, and thus completely unfair.

void666

Banned
Yeah, it's Ubisoft.
  • Rayman Origins
  • The Crew
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Prince of Persia
  • Outland
  • This War Of Mine

It means "same old open world game formula" they've been using for years.
Not all of their games are like this of course. But far cry, assassin's creed, watch dogs fall on the collec-a-thon checklist category.
And this is the reason why i can't be excited for a new far cry. Because it's ubisoft making another open world game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They went into that much trouble to make the language seem like something people would speak back then? I would say just use english and be done with it. It's not like everything else is realistic.
There's always a ton of effort that goes into making their settings look and feel authentic. Remember when people turned on their yahtzee impressions when the game first was leaked and were saying things like "oh they'll just use english and have a white protagonist."

scitek

I think the obvious reason this era was chosen is because it let them reuse the most assets from Far Cry 4, but interesting video nonetheless.

scitek

Small scale games from Ubisoft are really good, most people though have their big AAA games in their minds when they think about Ubisoft. Also South Park wasn't developed from them they just published it.

This is a $60 release.

Alebrije

I know right, but the game looks pretty good. It feels like a very different type of Far Cry.

Maybe Ubi should had called it just "Primal" and not relate it with FC IP, it seems its doing more damage than help being related to FC series.

Ushay

Maybe Ubi should had called it just "Primal" and not relate it with FC IP, it seems its doing more damage than help being related to FC series.

I suppose that would have risked being labelled as a new IP and outright ignored by the masses. Having 'Far Cry' attached to the title gives it a lot more attention, but in this case a lack thereof.

Who knows, maybe it will sell well. *shrug*
I'm looking forward to reviews either way.

Karak

Gonna be interesting to see how this turns out.
Reviews are out February 22nd at 3am PST.

Now back to questing for fire.

No thats how this magical thread was created by a mystical nonecaring force. The same one that created the other magical thread.

I can't control what people think about, as long as they realize that their thinking is very selective, and thus completely unfair.

The nice thing is. As long as your talking about gaming in general most people check to see if the game is good first before almost anything else.

MrDaravon

Legitimately had no idea this was out next week, holy shit o_o

I just completely and utterly burned out halfway through 4, even hearing that this is fairly different just doesn't do anything at all for me at this point. If it turns out super great I'll probably check it out later this year though, but FC fatigue is heavy on me right now.

Fayte19

Neo Member
Has any sort of multiplayer or, more importantly, map/level editor been announced? I've looked and can't seem to find an answer one way or another :(

scitek

You know I thought of that at first, but honestly, I don't feel that way playing it now.

It's not a knock against the game's quality, but doing that obviously let them have a comparatively quick turnaround as opposed to a numbered sequel with all new assets.

Top Bottom