• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal – Bringing The Stone Age to Life

Shredderi

Nice visuals. I wonder how good Far Cry 5 will look. I hope that my initial disinterest in this is getting a nice clubbing to the head come release. I want to go from "meh" to "oh shit it's apparently super good!?" since the setting is interesting.

Kieli

The one Farcry that's falling off everyone's radar is incidentally the one that peaks my interest.

Funny how that works.

And I usually loathe first-person anything, to boot. Would rather watch paint dry.

Honest question: does anybody care about FC Primal?

It seems like there is very little buzz.

Honest question, why do people ask questions like this, especially when there are frequent threads about the game, with tons of people saying they are looking forward to it ?
I mean seriously, do you think just because you're not interested in a game that no one else is either ?
The fact that there are threads about the game every other day should answer your question.

0racle

For people that have been playing. I guess this is not agaisnt the nda but......

Does this game deserve an NDA and review embargo? Some games do for obvious reasons if you get my drift.

ironcreed

Banned
The one Farcry that's falling off everyone's radar is incidentally the one that peaks my interest.

Funny how that works.

And I usually loathe first-person anything, to boot. Would rather watch paint dry.

I am a fan of the series and think it looks like the most interesting one yet by a long shot. I am really surprised that it is not getting more attention, considering the changes and setting.

Karak

Has there been any talk of how long this one is? I know it's a full game.

100% complete while walking, 100% complete while running, always using a spear and nothing else, every single upgrade complete, just story without sides, story with some sides, story with most sides?
Length discussions are thankfully starting to go the way of the dodo though I understand why people ask.
I can't answer it but I can say its a full game in this style if that gives you some ideas.

I had someone tell me I was rushing the last Far Cry because I ran from one area down to a truck like my job was supposed to walk every...place...I went. LOL.

100% complete while walking, 100% complete while running, always using a spear and nothing else, every single upgrade complete, just story without sides, story with some sides, story with most sides?
Length discussions are thankfully starting to go the way of the dodo though I understand why people ask.
I can't answer it but I can say its a full game in this style if that gives you some ideas.

I had someone tell me I was rushing the last Far Cry because I ran from one area down to a truck like my job was supposed to walk every...place...I went. LOL.

Yeah, that's true. I just like to have a ballpark figure.

I never used to care so much, but it's harder to find time to game and I don't have forever with each game. Far Cry is one of my all-time favourites, though.

reggie186

I'll be down for this game when it drops in price a bit. LOVE Far Cry games, but fearing this one won't have the same magic without ridiculous gun battles.

Game looks like fun but i'll be buying this sometime in the summer. I honestly never understood the Ubisoft hate, they make some great games.

woen

It stemmed from a lot of their AAA games sharing the same exact Assassin's Creed elements: open-world, unlocking the map via towers, and endless collectibles strewn about. It's really not anything more than that.

Neogaf Award For Shittiest Post About Ubisoft, February 2016 ©

Was gonna wait to buy this as I'm still working on tomb raider, but I want to support this as it does seem to lack the hype of 3+4. Also that no-hue preview was amazing, along with seeing how much effort the team put into research has me sold. Day one

Karak

Was gonna wait to buy this as I'm still working on tomb raider, but I want to support this as it does seem to lack the hype of 3+4. Also that no-hue preview was amazing, along with seeing how much effort the team put into research has me sold. Day one

Thanks glad you liked it.

wouwie

Here is my preview and a no hud video
No Hud Hunting - Idea of the atmosphere - no commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ZYpDJRMLI

Preview with some hud and no hud gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw6ESuGg78E

The improvements they have made to the renderer allows for most of the foliage to be pushed out beyond eyesight as well as to change up the numbers of types. That results in a pretty cool looking title especially in this theme and with minimal hud. I have 10+ hours of no hud gameplay and aside from a couple skills sort of...not working without a hud its turned out to be awesome.

I watched your footage already (subscribed to your channel) and the no hud nighttime footage in particular seemed to have a lot of atmosphere and looked great visually, hence my comment. Not sure if i would like the game but i'd love to just explore the world. Is there dynamic weather?

http://youtu.be/ICvRmN9A8RQ

So I was pretty cold on this game, I'm honestly into Far Cry for the outpost stuff mostly, I'm not as into the hunting and other things.

But I did catch it in a recent Jontron video.

Man, that's a pretty game with an interesting premise to me. Might just give it a go now.

drotahorror

^I'll check that JonTron video out. I hope they made the melee combat more visceral or something. Just seemed like it lacked much impact.

I'm more interested in Primal than any other FC minus Blood Dragon which was great and the only one I've played to completion. I'll likely grab Primal some time. Maybe even at launch.

Spence

I have this pre-ordered for some time back because I always liked the Far Cry formula but the 101 trailer got my hype up quite a bit.

joeajs

Banned
Some of the best games of all time have been created by expanding upon a core concept or gameplay mechanic and perfecting it. For example:

Mass Effect 2 and 3
Uncharted 2, 3 and hopefully 4
Rise of the tomb raider
Assassin's creed 2 and brotherhood
Half Life 2
Elder Scrolls Series

You can go on and on with this list. Generally with gaming, its the sequels that establish the best of the bunch. Far cry primal is a sequel that is a much bigger jump in change than Far cry 4 was while keeping the core concept that worked so well in Far Cry 3 in tact.

ironcreed

Banned
Agreed.

Ron Perlman simulator is a go! All kidding aside some of the these guys are so yolked its insane lol. I did a takedown of an enemy that looked like Andre the Giant last night. Some built for harder times dudes in this title lol

Ron Perlman simulator, lmao.

tumblr_lnof9z7VHG1qi2lrlo1_500.gif

But seriously, I imagine it's a bit different than jeeps full of guys with assault rifles and grenades barrelling around every corner. "There he is!"

foxtrot3d

Banned

It's weird because it seems very interesting but I just don't give two shits at the moment about this game. I think I've been burnt out on the FC series, I didn't even play FC4.

omonimo

Banned
Yeah, it's Ubisoft.
Who are only responsible for the following list of games I have either outright loved or really enjoyed...
  • Far Cry (numerous titles)
  • Splinter Cell (numerous titles)
  • Ghost Recon (numerous titles)
  • Assassin's Creed (numerous titles, especially earlier in the series)
  • Rayman Origins
  • The Crew
  • Rainbow Six (numerous titles, especially earlier in the series)
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Prince of Persia
  • DRIVER: San Francisco
  • Outland
  • This War Of Mine
  • The Division (all signs are pointing to it being good and I enjoyed the Beta)
And I can probably keep going.

So really, I am not sure what it means when you make the comment "it's Ubisoft."

You can not like their games all you want, that is your opinion and you have every right not to like them if they are not your personal taste, but to infer that by simply just stating "it's Ubisoft" is an universally accepted phrase for bad games or something is just not something I will get on board with.

Yes. They make a lot of sequels. Too many. But they made some amazing damn games to get to a place where they can make too many sequels. And I feel it does a terrible disservice to all of those people who worked damn hard on those original games that got them to the place they are today.
If you are trying to say ubisoft is the same of the pop, BG&E or splinter cell era, well, it's not from awhile.

ironcreed

Banned

The only misstep for AC was 3 and for most Unity. Other than that, it has always been solid. Far Cry has also been consistent and became even more popular after 3. They also proved they can still make a great Splinter Cell with Blacklist.

Now, most recently people seem to be loving Rainbow Six Siege. Primal looks to be the most unique Far Cry yet and The Division is about to release and looks like it could be huge.

The future? AC is getting a break and an apparent reset, Ghost Recon Wildlands looks amazing, as does For Honor. Not to mention the potential for Watch Dogs 2 to realize more of it's potential as a series. I'd say they are doing pretty good.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If you are trying to say ubisoft is the same of the pop, BG&E or splinter cell era, well, it's not from awhile.
What was so much better about Ubisoft in that "era", exactly? They were still being accused of milking their franchises back then too.

More recent than that era, I've personally had a lot of fun with FC: Blood Dragon, AC:Black Flag, Rayman Legends, FC4, Grow Home, and that's just for my tastes. Looking forward to FC Primal, Trackmania for consoles finally, For Honor, that open world Ghost Recon game, etc.

If it's good, I'm interested in it. Not going to pre-order it, but I'm generally not interested in Far Cry games. If I end up buying it, I'll only own Blood Dragon and Primal.

Also, I generally avoid Ubisoft open-world games.

Karak

Ron Perlman simulator, lmao.

tumblr_lnof9z7VHG1qi2lrlo1_500.gif

But seriously, I imagine it's a bit different than jeeps full of guys with assault rifles and grenades barrelling around every corner. "There he is!"

Right its like Quest for Fire. HIs first movie ever

perlmancorn.jpg

Top Bottom