• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal – Bringing The Stone Age to Life

Everytime I see a mammoth I'm like .... nope... not today friend.

z4Ib.jpg

I almost wrote off this game but the more I see the more interested I get. I tried the previous Far Cry game and it lost me pretty early on. I may get on the band wagon.

Karak

I almost wrote off this game but the more I see the more interested I get. I tried the previous Far Cry game and it lost me pretty early on. I may get on the band wagon.

Ya reviews come out soonish. Just see what they say. The one nice thing is this month isn't lean for game releases.

Dezzy

I loved Far Cry 4, and the Primal for PC is $36 on GMG right now. That's just too cheap to pass up for me. I went for it.

I'm kind of hoping your character finds some guns later on and you discover the setting is a "The Land that Time Forgot" situation where you have to chase off the outsiders as this Rambo Caveman. Outside of some ridiculous bullshit like that, I am not interested.

MaKTaiL

Can anyone confirm what type of weather effects are in the game? Is there dynamic rain/storms?
I'm curious about this too. Far Cry 3 had a great weather system that they completely removed from Far Cry 4. There was only Night and Day cycle. It was a bummer after seeing so many great storms on Far Cry 3.

Karak put up over 2 hours of new gameplay on Xbox One, with commentary and impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVHDjZpsZSE

Yes, the sound gets sorted.

Looks really nice. It does however clearly reuse things from FC4. The climbing and swinging with the grapple. Special moves like stabbing one dude and throwing a knife into the other dude is pretty much the same. But it IS called Far Cry, so there's that. I don't mind these things, as long as there's plenty new stuff too.

The pets look awesome and riding them seems like a lot of fun. Right now i am torn between playing like Karak plays, on hard difficulty and no HUD. I like a good challenge and what he describes what hard difficulty is like in Primal sounds really good to me. But at the same time i don't want it to ruin the fun, and he did say that sometimes it can be a bit too much,..especially in the beginning.

Then there's the HUD. I really like the idea of not knowing where the enemy is, both human and animals. I remember in FC4 that i would always know if a enemy was nearby and that was fine, but for Primal and its game world not knowing might actually be better this time around. I am sure though some animals are going to be really annoying. But what i'll really need to get used to is not using the minimap anymore and like Karak shows in the video, if you wanna see where you're going, you need to go into the map screen. I'm just going to disable it all from the start and see if i can truly enjoy it.

Karak

Looks really nice. It does however clearly reuse things from FC4. The climbing and swinging with the grapple. Special moves like stabbing one dude and throwing a knife into the other dude is pretty much the same. But it IS called Far Cry, so there's that. I don't mind these things, as long as there's plenty new stuff too.

The pets look awesome and riding them seems like a lot of fun. Right now i am torn between playing like Karak plays, on hard difficulty and no HUD. I like a good challenge and what he describes what hard difficulty is like in Primal sounds really good to me. But at the same time i don't want it to ruin the fun, and he did say that sometimes it can be a bit too much,..especially in the beginning.

Then there's the HUD. I really like the idea of not knowing where the enemy is, both human and animals. I remember in FC4 that i would always know if a enemy was nearby and that was fine, but for Primal and its game world not knowing might actually be better this time around. I am sure though some animals are going to be really annoying. But what i'll really need to get used to is not using the minimap anymore and like Karak shows in the video, if you wanna see where you're going, you need to go into the map screen. I'm just going to disable it all from the start and see if i can truly enjoy it.

IF you get it do this.
Play it for 2 hours with the full hud. Get accustomed to movement and understanding what looks like what. Then turn off 1/4th of the options at a time leaving the minimap last.
I BET it will work

Also dont ignore difficulty it completely adjusts the game when combined with the hud changes. Well even without them actually.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm so glad many people are now changing their minds about this game. I loved Farcry 4 and I reckon I'm going to love this more.

IF you get it do this.
Play it for 2 hours with the full hud. Get accustomed to movement and understanding what looks like what. Then turn off 1/4th of the options at a time leaving the minimap last.
I BET it will work

Also dont ignore difficulty it completely adjusts the game when combined with the hud changes. Well even without them actually.

Thanks man. I will do that. :)

JHandlebars

Neo Member
PC People:

Please forgive my lack of knowledge but I just bought my first gaming PC so I'm still learning how to read PC specs and comprehend them. I was hoping somebody could tell me if I should get this on my PS4 or my PC based on my specs.

Here are the Primal Specs for reference:

MINIMUM

Supported OS
Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

Processor
Intel Core i3-550 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 or equivalent

RAM
4GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB VRAM) | AMD Radeon HD 5770 (1GB VRAM) or equivalent

RECOMMENDED

Supported OS
Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

Processor
Intel Core i7-2600K | AMD FX-8350 or equivalent

RAM
8GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 | AMD Radeon R9 280X or equivalent

Here are my PC's specs:

Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30 GHz (4 CPUs)
8GB of ram
Windows 10
AMD Radeon HD 7800 series

Thanks for the help!

Chase17

Will there be an OT for this thread soon? Game should be arriving for me Tuesday and am looking forward to it. Curious to see reviews tomorrow.

Will there be an OT for this thread soon? Game should be arriving for me Tuesday and am looking forward to it. Curious to see reviews tomorrow.

I'd imagine the OT would go up sometime tomorrow or Tuesday morning

don't really know the exact rules these days on the timing of OTs

ironcreed

Banned
Only mission specific? I hope not, dynamic weather was a huge omission in FC4 and it would be stupid to not include it again.

It does have an amazing snowy region, where even your tamed animal has snow accumulate on their fur. You have to craft the proper clothing or freeze to death as well.

Karak

There is a very light dynamic weather going on with shader effects but its done over the top of a static system that makes the large changes depending on locations so it can be very hard to even notice and seems to have few changes even then. You have 4 sections in the game world
South tropical, forest, tundra, true northern reaches, each somewhat adjusts its weather but not to the tune of true dynamics.

It does feel less dynamic than I would like but not near the hilariously bad dynamic weather of the early Farcry titles. Its very odd but not like the gods of thunder and sun battling every seven seconds like those games.
That being said some of the best weather effects in a game exist in the Northern Reaches even if they aren't dynamic. But sadly no large thunderstorms and stuff excerpt as said in missions.

ezekial45

Banned
I've been playing a bunch of it, and I think it's really fun. It's one of those games that gets more fun the more you upgrade you character. There's some surprisingly cool shit to find in the game.

i have the game since saturday and i just have to say WOW

technically absolutely amazing, no laggs, no bugs until now, graphics are awesome

and it's fun as hell, the perfect mix between already known mechanics from FC 3+4 and a few new ones like beast taming and stronger focus on Crafting

the open world is also pretty interesting, very many things to discover from maze caves to treasures throughout the world, very cool

Mdk7

i have the game since saturday and i just have to say WOW

technically absolutely amazing, no laggs, no bugs until now, graphics are awesome

and it's fun as hell, the perfect mix between already known mechanics from FC 3+4 and a few new ones like beast taming and stronger focus on Crafting

the open world is also pretty interesting, very many things to discover from maze caves to treasures throughout the world, very cool

How is the melee combat? It looked pretty bad based on videos.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Gotta say i'm pretty surprised by all those positive impressions, will definitely keep an eye on it now.

is nighttime still green?

Sorry don't know what you want to know. There is a day night cycle, the nights are pretty short though

How is the melee combat? It looked pretty bad based on videos.

if you battle more than 1 enemy i have to admit its pretty tough and annoying, but i use the bow very much so there aren't many close combats i have problems with ^^

the rest is my Jaguars Job :D

GHG

Gold Member
I'm kind of hoping your character finds some guns later on and you discover the setting is a "The Land that Time Forgot" situation where you have to chase off the outsiders as this Rambo Caveman. Outside of some ridiculous bullshit like that, I am not interested.

I don't understand... Why does the game need guns for you to be interested in it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PC People:

Please forgive my lack of knowledge but I just bought my first gaming PC so I'm still learning how to read PC specs and comprehend them. I was hoping somebody could tell me if I should get this on my PS4 or my PC based on my specs.

<snip>

Thanks for the help!

The 7800 series is around a few years old now and VRAM tops out at 2GB. I'd go with the PS4 version.

watdaeff4

Swore I wouldn't buy this until later but the impressions make it sound so good.

Getting harder to resist esp since I can get it for essentially $35

Karak

I have now been reviewing for hmm 3 years I guess and this is the first time I have seen such utter vile and filth aimed at a title. I mean f*cking vile. Even my lets plays have absolutely been filled.
Even the lets plays and previews I did of games with a higher controversial meter than this one were NOTHING like this. Its like all humanity swore to remove their braincells, good manners, and dedication to appearing above a starfish in mentality prior to posting.

MMaRsu

Banned
I have now been reviewing for hmm 3 years I guess and this is the first time I have seen such utter vile and filth aimed at a title. I mean f*cking vile. Even my lets plays have absolutely been filled.
Even the lets plays and previews I did of games with a higher controversial meter than this one were NOTHING like this. Its like all humanity swore to remove their braincells, good manners, and dedication to appearing above a starfish in mentality prior to posting.

Wait whats vile? What are u talking about

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait whats vile? What are u talking about

Well it's no secret this game receives a remarkable amount of "herp derp" comments like "OMG Far Cry 4 reskin", "needs guns", "wheres teh towers at yo lol" and other "am I cool yet?" nonsense.

Karak

Well it's no secret this game receives a remarkable amount of "herp derp" comments like "OMG Far Cry 4 reskin", "needs guns", "wheres teh towers at yo lol" and other "am I cool yet?" nonsense.

Today I was told "how about I rape your mom with a reskinned cadaver dick in front of your dad and then you tell me if you notice its reskinnned or not?"

Sometimes...lol. People say the damndest things.

Top Bottom