• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

Turned all the hud off and it really is like a different game, so pleasantly surprised. Would definitely recommend trying it if people fancy a change of pace, really does feel like more of a survival game.

Karak

Is the graphics on the same level as Far Cry 4 or was it improved?

The same or better depending on what your talking about. But its got the optimizations to the renderer has toned down the DOF to more manageable levels and the volumetric effects are definitely improved.

Turned all the hud off and it really is like a different game, so pleasantly surprised. Would definitely recommend trying it if people fancy a change of pace, really does feel like more of a survival game.
Yep its night and day

This game is awesome! I totally love the mechanics this far, the small things like the fire burning up your weapon, and that you are actually non-stop in lethal danger, especially at night! Protip, bears are very-very dangerous, but so are the moose!
Since the reveal I couldn't wait to beome the Beast Master!

maxresdefault.jpg

TripOpt55

Should get this by Thursday. Really excited to dig in. Impressions seem really positive and I am a big Far Cry fan (my favorite FPS series).

Mossybrew

Oros might end up being one of my favorite game worlds. I just love the atmosphere, the stone age vibe that everything has and how it all looks. It's amazing and you appreciate the hell out it because you are not driving around and don't have jeeps full of guys barreling around every corner screaming, "There he is!" Totally different feel to this game.

It's this kind of thing that will make me pick up the game, admittedly once the price drops, but I wasn't interested at all after being burnt out on Far Cry after playing 4. But this sounds like a much more immersive, slower experience which sounds interesting.

Xumbrega

Banned
Damn, you guys talking nothing but good things about this game.

Downloading the game right now, so it seems like the way to play Primal is without any hud element, yes?

so it seems like the way to play Primal is without any hud element, yes?

It's more immersive, certainly. But personally, I prefer to have the information I need right there on the screen.

I'm glad there's an option to turn off the searching / skinning animations from previous games, though. It's not that I found it gross or anything, just a bit tedious when you're XX-hours into the game.

Cleve

With the ps blog posts and other stuff I was seeing the past couple of days, I was really excited to get started on this. I guess I missed the memo that the PC release is pushed back. :(

Karak

With the ps blog posts and other stuff I was seeing the past couple of days, I was really excited to get started on tihs. I guess I missed the memo that the pc release is pushed back. :(

Ya it was handled a bit oddly as well with codes as well.

newsguy

I'm glad there's an option to turn off the searching / skinning animations from previous games, though. It's not that I found it gross or anything, just a bit tedious when you're XX-hours into the game.

This is a thing!? Oh man, this game needs to win an award for best new game option. I freaking hate waiting through these animations in every game where skinning animals/searching dead guys is necessary.

This is a thing!? Oh man, this game needs to win an award for best new game option. I freaking hate waiting through these animations in every game where skinning animals/searching dead guys is necessary.

Yeah, when the option is turned off, crafting materials will just disappear and you'll see text telling you what you picked up. The animals will remain the same and won't appear to have been skinned or anything. You just loot them.

newsguy

Yeah, when the option is turned off, crafting materials will just disappear and you'll see text telling you what you picked up. The animals will remain the same and won't appear to have been skinned or anything. You just loot them.

That's great. I don't care about the gore, but damn I hate waiting. I get it, it's so immersive, but I have a family and a job, I don't need to waste time watching the same damn animation 1000x

0racle

For everyone wanting to play with hud off.....

Im doing the oposite and playing on EASY mode. Enjoying it so far!

Fliesen

That's great. I don't care about the gore, but damn I hate waiting. I get it, it's so immersive, but I have a family and a job, I don't need to waste time watching the same damn animation 1000x

yeah, i learned in the FC:primal review thread that this was already an option in Far Cry 4

they did shorten the animations quite a bit in Primal, so i kept them turned on for now.

It's a lot of fun, but then again Far Cry is one of my favourite series of all time. Things can get a bit repetitive, but the world is a blast to roam around in and there's so much to do.

I can't find the sixth mission on the "Your Journey" quest list, though. My map is clear for main missions.

I'll be honest, when they first announced Primal I was curious but I planned on buying it at a lower price later on because of my open-world fatigue, especially with Ubisoft.

However, seeing reviews and hearing people's impressions on the game convinced me to get it day one and I don't regret it at all. 6 hours in and I'm enjoying it a lot. It feels very much like an Ubisoft Far Cry game (both good and bad) but the prehistoric setting along with a focus on survival and wildlife really help set Primal apart from its predecessors.

So far my only real negative is the lack of co-op (I had a lot of enjoyment from Far Cry 4's co-op) but I understand that they wanted to focus on the core game and they probably had a smaller budget with this project.

Overall, I'm enjoying Primal and I hope it does well because I really want to see the next Far Cry game take more risks with gameplay and setting...

...or you can just give me Blood Dragon 2. That's fine with me.

Crap I'm stuck in a cave after someone pissed on me and I just tamed a leopard does anyone know what I do next?

You have to escape the cave.

I think there's a flammable grass covering on the floor, which you can set on fire and then go under. There's water underneath IIRC. But also look for grappling claw points.

aro52

Has anyone looked at the trophy/achievement list? Does it seem manageable?

It seems quite management. There's nothing big of interest to me, until The Division, so I plan to spend the next 2 weeks Platinuming this. It may not even take that long.

Grinding resources for village upgrades COULD be annoying, but as you build up the village, it also increases your daily [in-game] "gift bag" of resources.

i don't have the grappling claw yet?

You'll find it down there.

Gala

I'm still scared when a pack of wolves runs past me in the middle of the night hunting some poor Udam or animals. Night gameplay is so much fun, I'm sneaking around with my badass black leopard letting him stealth kill all the enemies in outposts and missions. I'm using the day mostly for farming stuff, but in the night I'm becoming the predator of Oros.

Karak

As well as everyone here a good majority of my lan group got it and I have yet to hear a single person regret that decision. Thats really...pretty crazy actually.

Man all these positive impressions...I have 40 in my PSN wallet...might have to make my finger slip on the rest of the credit and buy it digital.

GravyButt

Digital apex question. When do the rare resources show up in your inventory? Same with the perks? Or am I missing something oblivious? Like when I gather wood it's usually +3 or +2 for slate. Is that the perk. The weapon showed up already though. Also when do the preorder missions pop up? I'll admit im only as far as just collecting the green leafs and getting the first official camp :)

Top Bottom