• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

Damnit Gaf, I am conflicted. I had this preordered for PS4 and it arrived today, but I also got in on that cheap HP PC with the GTX 980 TI that won't get here until late next month. I don't know if i should just dig in or return it and wait for my PC to come in.....decisions, decisions...

Hmmm...so it seems that
The Future Past
is an Easter Egg and isn't tied to the sixth mission in your journey. My game must have glitched, and that's why my list is incomplete even though I've completed the game.

I want to do the final two exotic hunts tonight, and also try to clean out all of the outposts.

Yeah that's really odd. At least it didn't stop you from finishing the game...

How many people here have it on XB1? I was contemplating getting it on XB1, rather than PS4, as I still have Syndicate and Ori to play on XB1, and that'll save me from switching consoles back and forth until April.

I know it has an inferior resolution, but I was honestly impressed with the quality of FC4 on XB1 (I got it for free from the Unity fiasco).

Damnit Gaf, I am conflicted. I had this preordered for PS4 and it arrived today, but I also got in on that cheap HP PC with the GTX 980 TI that won't get here until late next month. I don't know if i should just dig in or return it and wait for my PC to come in.....decisions, decisions...

I'm waiting on the PC version. Be strong man. We can do it

Thewonandonly

You no what I'm going to say it this is the greatest far cry ever. Five hours in and it's already my favorite far cry. Everything about it is so good. Collecting resources it worth it and you actually need to and it feels good. This is coming from someone who hates collecting stuff. Then the Melle combat is really fluid I think and I'm having a hell of a fun and fought time on hard.

Seriously it can't be said enough but get this game

How many people here have it on XB1? I was contemplating getting it on XB1, rather than PS4, as I still have Syndicate and Ori to play on XB1, and that'll save me from switching consoles back and forth until April.

I know it has an inferior resolution, but I was honestly impressed with the quality of FC4 on XB1 (I got it for free from the Unity fiasco).

There's no need to avoid the Xbox One version. It's really solid and looks great. No real issues to complain about.

Does anyone happen to know a good way to take down birds? I need one more feather to craft a new quiver, and I've been having the hardest time. I got one by what now seems to be dumb luck, but I can't seem to find any before they take off.

Does anyone happen to know a good way to take down birds? I need one more feather to craft a new quiver, and I've been having the hardest time. I got one by what now seems to be dumb luck, but I can't seem to find any before they take off.

It's a pain in the ass sometimes. You just have to wait for a lucky opportunity where they're on the ground and you haven't disturbed them.

Birds become more prominent later on, and there were lots just sitting on the ground ignoring me. I had no issue with feathers then, but did earlier on. I could never hit any when they were flying.

I had a hard time too, once you get the grapple, go to top left of map. Eagles will attack you for sure, ready you bow and fire!!!

I had a hard time too, once you get the grapple, go to top left of map. Eagles will attack you for sure, ready you bow and fire!!!

How far along do you get the grapple? I've only done one story mission since I left the cave
for the shaman guy
. The rest of the time I've been wandering around doing my part to kill as many of these asshole animals as possible. Especially jaguars, those little chickenshits.

adj_noun

Just rode into an enemy camp on the back of a sabretooth tiger, waving my flaming club around and laying waste to all before me.

This game is an undiscovered heavy metal album cover.

kind of sad...3 pages for an OT of a AAA sequel to a well-known and once beloved franchise.

NeoGAF bingo:

Impulse Post? Check.
Acting like a thread's post count on a random internet forum to a game that has not even come out yet for most platforms has any direct correlation to the game's quality? Check.

Sorry guys, but I just can't believe how much better Primal looks over FC4.

FC4 X1
25199638486_b9093d5929_o.png

FCP X1
25225912555_42179155cd_o.png

FC4 X1
24858238909_f75e767222_o.png

FCP X1
24858235859_b9cf4fe6f8_o.png

Karak

Ya I can't stress this enough turn off the minimap. Usually I'm a heavy advocate of minimaps but in this game it's amazing with out one. I still use the health bar tho because I like to see my health :)

Me too. I have now played a good deal of it with both on and off and its honestly quite a deal more fun with it off. Which might be a bit of the reason we see less collectibles and stuff as well. Not sure but I do know that they said off was sort of the devs idea of the original experience in this game in particular.

Sorry guys, but I just can't believe how much better Primal looks over FC4.

FC4 X1
25199638486_b9093d5929_o.png

FCP X1
25225912555_42179155cd_o.png

FC4 X1
24858238909_f75e767222_o.png

FCP X1
24858235859_b9cf4fe6f8_o.png

Uhm your XB1 Primal pics are all blown out to the tune of some serious information loss. Do you have your HDMI setting on the wrong colortype?

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
The more I read about this the better it sounds! Was going to wait to pick it up on a sale, but I might just have to grab a copy tomorrow. The time period and how everything is incorporated sounds well done!

Nah, PC RGB, 1080p 36 bits all games look just fine on x1 and ps4, Primal looks kinda different on screenshots than on my Tv but not sure why.

How far along do you get the grapple? I've only done one story mission since I left the cave
for the shaman guy
. The rest of the time I've been wandering around doing my part to kill as many of these asshole animals as possible. Especially jaguars, those little chickenshits.

Need to do the mission for the skinny one armed guy, forget his name. It's not far progress wise at all.

Xumbrega

Banned
Game is really awesome, I am loving it.

Also I think it's the most beautiful game I ever played on Xbox One, prettier than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Need to do the mission for the skinny one armed guy, forget his name. It's not far progress wise at all.

I think his name is Wogah.

You'll get trapped in a cave by him, and will find it.

This game isn't structured in a way that it's missions are ordered. So it depends.

TheMan

NeoGAF bingo:

Impulse Post? Check.
Acting like a thread's post count on a random internet forum to a game that has not even come out yet for most platforms has any direct correlation to the game's quality? Check.

random dude making assumptions despite the fact that my post made no comment whatsoever about the quality of the game?

i think the game looks good and I'm going to pick it up soon. I was commenting on how little hype this game has garnered despite the fact that it's a popular franchise. stop acting like an asshole.

Is there an option to turn off the little red blips that show were the enemies are located at on the mini map without having to turn off the mini map?

Is this deal still live?

DirtyLarry

So I just played 2 hours and 18 minutes (the game told me this), and so far I am really digging it. The Far Cry series will not and does not appeal to everyone, but it appeals to me. Just something relaxing about it. I also have to say it runs smooth as silk (on the PS4) and it also looks great for an open world game. I just
unlocked the owl
and decided that was a good time to call it a night and go to bed.
I feel like I have not even seen anything yet, and I am really enjoying it thus far. I was not brave enough to turn off the HUD just yet, but believe I am definitely going to experiment with doing so.
This is definitely going to hold me over until The Division is released, and honestly depending on how deep I get into it, I may even hold off on The Division until I feel like my time with this game has come to an end.
Very glad I picked it up. Feel like this is going to be one of those games that the people who enjoy it REALLY enjoy it, and some people will like it enough but feel it is more of the same, and others will skip it completely because it has Far Cry in the title, which the latter especially is a bit of a shame. While it is no doubt a Far Cry game, it very much does feel like a culmination of the series. Everything they did right in the previous titles is on display here, with some new stuff added on top, and really all I will say is if you somehow skipped the previous two games, definitely consider picking this one up at some point in time. So far all signs are pointing towards it is a damn good game.

Grassy

random dude making assumptions despite the fact that my post made no comment whatsoever about the quality of the game?

i think the game looks good and I'm going to pick it up soon. I was commenting on how little hype this game has garnered despite the fact that it's a popular franchise. stop acting like an asshole.

This OT went up a bit later than normal. Plus the PC version isn't out until next week, but it's also the #1 selling game on Steam right now.

ironcreed

Banned

I do and it looks and plays great.

A few shots I took:

Catdaddy

Played a while this evening... now I can't wait till the weekend to really dig in and play.. picked up the X1 version and man it's purdy...

Haven't checked it out yet but saw Conan was doing a clueless gamer on it tonite..

dEvAnGeL

This game is just incredibly beautiful, no other way to describe it, the atmosphere it has is incredible and the gameplay feels so cool, no guns! no guns! Im loving it :)

ironcreed

Banned
Played a while this evening... now I can't wait till the weekend to really dig in and play.. picked up the X1 version and man it's purdy...

Yeah, a hell of a lot more went into this game than many were expecting. It's the most unique Far Cry I have ever played, I know that much.

Thewonandonly

The only part I don't like per far cry game is the god damn drug sections. Their now fun and this one is the worse in the series so far ugg

Welp after playing for 5 hours today I think I need to hit the hay. Really good game tho and everyone should give it a shot in my opinion :)

Pimpbaa

I was walking out of my camp when I saw a woman crouching by a tree making grunting noises. I thought she was hurt, but she wiped her ass and stood up and walked away. Then I realized I was watching a woman taking a shit.

ironcreed

Banned
I was walking out of my camp when I saw a woman crouching by a tree making grunting noises. I thought she was hurt, but she wiped her ass and stood up and walked away. Then I realized I was watching a woman taking a shit.

I walked into a hut and saw two Udam fucking. Stone Age voyeurism.

Played many hours tonight. I enjoy it for what it is. Definitely miss the guns though. I'll be happy to go back to modern day, but I expect this will live on favorably in my memory. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

ironcreed

Banned
I love the music that plays while you are exploring. It's so incredibly fitting for the atmosphere with it's savage sounding tone. Plus all of the sounds of the wild, animals hunting each other, etc. It just makes you want to move slowly and take it all in because it's so damn immersive.

Karak

I love the music that plays while you are exploring. It's so incredibly fitting for the atmosphere with it's savage sounding tone. Plus all of the sounds of the wild, animals hunting each other, etc. It just makes you want to move slowly and take it all in because it's so damn immersive.

Did you notice yet that they blend in the sounds into the music? Its not done super often in games but Ubisoft seems to be doing it more and more whenever they have the chance. Really lodges the music and sound as a whole atmosphere above and around wherever you are.
For example sometimes when getting near the village the drum will actually play dynamically in the music track and then you get close to the village and he is playing the drum. Not to the same tune but its the same instrument. Also you can catch one of the Udam singing one time and grunting in time to the drum beats of the song during a cave attack

ironcreed

Banned
Did you notice yet that they blend in the sounds into the music? Its not done super often in games but Ubisoft seems to be doing it more and more whenever they have the chance. Really lodges the music and sound as a whole atmosphere above and around wherever you are.
For example sometimes when getting near the village the drum will actually play dynamically in the music track and then you get close to the village and he is playing the drum. Not to the same tune but its the same instrument. Also you can catch one of the Udam singing one time and grunting in time to the drum beats of the song during a cave attack

Wow, that is another one of those amazing little details. I'll be sure to keep my ears open for it.

I would really love some weather system in this game, the quest with owl got me super excited with that storm ;) Really love the game, super happy with the purchase.

A few shots, hope they look good now...

25201822096_ec29f69212_o.png

24597451914_b0000ce662_o.png

25134909231_035aaf0d94_o.png

25109853312_e14f678ba5_o.png

Karak

I would really love some weather system in this game, the quest with owl got me super excited with that storm ;) Really love the game, super happy with the purchase.

A few shots, hope they look good now...

25201822096_ec29f69212_o.png

24597451914_b0000ce662_o.png

25134909231_035aaf0d94_o.png

25109853312_e14f678ba5_o.png
LOL dude they look night and fucking day better hahaha

The second picture when you can see the pick flowers having the light reflection dimmed due to being in the shadow but not blacking out thats a pretty fair representation of what the game looks like. Those others...I swear hahah
Wow, that is another one of those amazing little details. I'll be sure to keep my ears open for it.
Ya its difficult to pick up but in one of my lets plays you hear me say something about it as it occurs just for a moment during an attack I think.

Top Bottom