• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

besiktas1

lol just had a holy shit moment for something so silly haha.
Enable Primal view. Look at some animals. Pause. Now look at the cave paintings.

Don't know why I found that so cool because it was like hold on a minute.... Oh coooool. Haha.

I'm enjoying it so far. Nice and pretty. Still very early on. I'll take my time with it. Nothing else really to play atm :)

Karak

lol just had a holy shit moment for something so silly haha.
Enable Primal view. Look at some animals. Pause. Now look at the cave paintings.

Don't know why I found that so cool because it was like hold on a minute.... Oh coooool. Haha.

I'm enjoying it so far. Nice and pretty. Still very early on. I'll take my time with it. Nothing else really to play atm :)

LOL noticed that eh?
Funny enough I had a big title to play like massive and i still held off for this lol

N° 2048

You bastard. You pushed me over the edge. I really want to play with those spears. Bought.

Such a beautiful review. Pushed me too. I like how in depth the sound review was.

Starting the game in an hour or so woop!

Always like a no gun game.

So I'm early in the game and I rescued a couple people for my village and all of a sudden a couple hyenas or something appear out of nowhere and kill them! Those little bastards!!

theDeeDubs

Woo. Night hit, and as I turned around, I see a set of glowing eyes staring at me from on top of a rock in the distance. Coupled with the music that was playing, it gave me the willies.

ryseing

Woo. Night hit, and as I turned around, I see a set of glowing eyes staring at me from on top of a rock in the distance. Coupled with the music that was playing, it gave me the willies.

This is what ultimately sold the game to me. If Ubi had said "we have a Dying Light esque day/night cycle" I would have been on this thing day one.

Karak

You bastard. You pushed me over the edge. I really want to play with those spears. Bought.

My job is done here. I am actually starting up a kickstarter for crafting Primal Spears lol. JK

So I'm early in the game and I rescued a couple people for my village and all of a sudden a couple hyenas or something appear out of nowhere and kill them! Those little bastards!!

Brother I had hunted and killed my Wild Rhino across half the damn land and a croc stole him lol

Karak

Are the spears a melee weapon as well? Or can you only throw them?

Shit everything I craft will be throwable lol.
I am surprised the game doesn't have the ability to toss the bow at someones face Hawkeye style

A picture of my new primal spears

1200436988_0034.jpg

Is it just me or this game has a different lighting than FarCry 4? It looks more like AC Unity lighting engine than previous FarCry games.

Karak

Is it just me or this game has a different lighting than FarCry 4? It looks more like AC Unity lighting engine than previous FarCry games.

I think I posted this already earlier here but it does have an optimized renderer with some parts completely rewritten as well as adjustments to some of the post processing. Not enough to call it a .5 update but the joke was that it was a .45 to the engine

I think I posted this already earlier here but it does have an optimized renderer with some parts completely rewritten as well as adjustments to some of the post processing. Not enough to call it a .5 update but the joke was that it was a .45 to the engine

Yeah, whatever they did it looks really nice, much better than FC4.

The lighting does look better.

How big is the day one patch?

taken from gamespot...
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/far-cry-primal-day-one-patch-adds-expert-mode-and-/1100-6435036/
This patch is 564 MB on PlayStation 4 and 561 MB on Xbox One.

Expert Mode Changes:

Players' health has been halved compared to Hard difficulty.
Reduced players aim assist.
AI shoots faster by 1/3
Enemies in combat are not shown on mini map by default (they appear only if they are tagged).
It takes the AI a longer time to "forget" you when you hide
The aim assist box is reduced for several weapon types (bow, club, spear)
The player damage is reduced

Other Fixes:

Stability & Performance

Optimization and stability have been improved
Improved lighting

Weapons & HUD

Improved reticle display

Wildlife & AI

Improved beast companion behavior
Fixed rare animation issues
Improved visual of the mammoth when it destroys objects
Improved animal fighting behavior when triggering a fight

Design & progression

Tweaked and balanced XP rewards
Tweaked the damage ratio of certain recipes
Improved overall balancing

Gameplay

Improved animations of weapons on fire
Fixed issues with lit weapons during cinematics at night
Improved player navigation and small collision issues
Improved camera transition and minor collision issues on cinematics

It looks like they improved lighting with the patch, good job.

ViciousDS

Banned
How's all my neogaf friends enjoying this surprise hit? Finally got my review up. http://www.ztgd.com/far-cry-primal/review/ rated it a 9 and already relected on metacritic. Games too fun and we need more bold and unique titles such as this for more games!

Decent.....but 4 hours in and I'm already burned by all the shit that constantly pops up for me to do.....looks like I'll have to play this in small bursts or the ubi burn is going to get me. Sucks too because this has been my favorite far cry experience to date. No guns makes this such a great game to explore and treasure.

Also light your arrow on fire and shoot it into a huge patch of brush and start small forest fires that go up the trees. Pretty cool

I found out the hard way setting a bear on fire and having it chase me while it set the entire fucking forest aflame lol

Yoday

The single best visual improvement to the engine is the increased foliage density and draw distance. That coupled with the improved lighting make the environments feel so much more natural than any other FC. That said it still feels like more of a minor engine upgrade when compared to something like the jump AC saw. I look forward to seeing what they are able to pull off with the next mainline game that will likely see some major upgrades.

Karak

I'm really enjoying hard and it seems fair so far but really really chalangeing exspecially Bears :O

Ya with the myriad changes occuring in the difficulty levels there is a lot you can play with plus bits on or off in the hud. It can feel totally different played in particular ways.
The single best visual improvement to the engine is the increased foliage density
And type. That was one of the big improvements where they were able to get more types in the same footage resulting in far more organic looking playing spaces.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't seem to apply a 20% off code to this on GMG. Does someone have a code that works? Or is it just set at a hard 39.99??

I can't seem to apply a 20% off code to this on GMG. Does someone have a code that works? Or is it just set at a hard 39.99??

when they do those set discounts on games like that they usually disable using vouchers with them...so you'll have to pay whatever the price is and that's it

but if you click VIP at the top row (when you're logged in) you'll see the game is $35.99 if you click Pre-purchase from that page

Decent.....but 4 hours in and I'm already burned by all the shit that constantly pops up for me to do.....looks like I'll have to play this in small bursts or the ubi burn is going to get me. Sucks too because this has been my favorite far cry experience to date. No guns makes this such a great game to explore and treasure.

Also light your arrow on fire and shoot it into a huge patch of brush and start small forest fires that go up the trees. Pretty cool

I found out the hard way setting a bear on fire and having it chase me while it set the entire fucking forest aflame lol

Yea take it slow then. I've honestly yet to tire from it. I'm either in the midst of a crazy hunt, doing story, exploring a cave, taming animals, looking for craft material, night hunts... my oh my.

Tohsaka

I might end up caving and just getting this on PS4 while I'm out tomorrow. Does anyone know if any of the trophies/achievements are missable?

Carm

Sorry if any of these questions were already answered, avoiding reading most of the thread.

1. Do we know the differences in the difficulty options? Weird that it goes to expert, wondering if there is a non standard change there.

2. HUD options, is there anything I should keep on? What are others going with?

It was surprising that the game is less than 13gigs installed. Turning off gathering animations off is nice, so is just holding the button down to gather all nearby stuff by just walking up to it all.

Also, this is the first FPS I've played in quite awhile where it feels like your character is really short, camera feels to close to the ground.

Thewonandonly

Ya with the myriad changes occuring in the difficulty levels there is a lot you can play with plus bits on or off in the hud. It can feel totally different played in particular ways.

Ya I can't stress this enough turn off the minimap. Usually I'm a heavy advocate of minimaps but in this game it's amazing with out one. I still use the health bar tho because I like to see my health :)

Thanks. I'm glad it's not too big.

There's still some stuff I need to do.

l

Yea take it slow then. I've honestly yet to tire from it. I'm either in the midst of a crazy hunt, doing story, exploring a cave, taming animals, looking for craft material, night hunts... my oh my.

There's an overwhelming amount of stuff to do and it is easy to get distracted. I got a bit fatigued from all of the hunting and gathering, but I played in long sessions.

I still think it's a really good game, though.

Hmmm...so it seems that
The Future Past
is an Easter Egg and isn't tied to the sixth mission in your journey. My game must have glitched, and that's why my list is incomplete even though I've completed the game.

I want to do the final two exotic hunts tonight, and also try to clean out all of the outposts.

Top Bottom