• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

tomedo

Can someone explain gathering / inventory management in this game? Seems like there is lot to gather so is it constant "not enough space in bag must run to stash" situation?

G_Berry

Banned
I'll be honest, I was poo pooing this game from its announcement on day one. I figured that it was just a re-skin of farcry 4 and given the fact it was out so quickly I thought it would be a dud for sure.

Boy was I wrong.

I'm absolutely loving this game. It feels so different yet it's quite familiar. The world they have built is a site to behold, it's simply beautiful and so alive with NPC's and wildlife.

The supporting cast is also a treat. Each one is unique and you can understand and relate to each of their plights (even though you can't understand a word they say lol)

I never finish Farcry games as I just get so bored but I'll be finishing this for sure.

It's a shame it's flying under the radar. My only hope is that it's brought up in game of the year breakdowns as a hidden gem.

killroy87

Can someone explain gathering / inventory management in this game? Seems like there is lot to gather so is it constant "not enough space in bag must run to stash" situation?

...I thought you couldn't put things in your stash, you could only take out? Have I just been missing something?

killroy87

Anyone finished it yet?, anyone put in a lot of hours?, keen to know if the sheen of a new and unique setting wears off, or holds interest for a while.

I've put seven hours in, and not for me, no. I haven't even touched the snowy portion of the map yet, either so if repetition does sink in, there's a big change up coming.

Rinさとり;196474418 said:
PS4 version is rock solid and it seems same goes for Xbox One. no idea about PC

PC is out next week, no one can speak to that version

Genio88

I'll be honest, I was poo pooing this game from its announcement on day one. I figured that it was just a re-skin of farcry 4 and given the fact it was out so quickly I thought it would be a dud for sure.

Boy was I wrong.

I'm absolutely loving this game. It feels so different yet it's quite familiar. The world they have built is a site to behold, it's simply beautiful and so alive with NPC's and wildlife.

The supporting cast is also a treat. Each one is unique and you can understand and relate to each of their plights (even though you can't understand a word they say lol)

I never finish Farcry games as I just get so bored but I'll be finishing this for sure.

It's a shame it's flying under the radar. My only hope is that it's brought up in game of the year breakdowns as a hidden gem.

Happy to hear that, i played start to finish both Far Cry 3 and 4 and i really enjoyed them, so i was looking forward for this despite the low general hype around it.
It's just a shame that i still have to wait another week to play it, cause i'll get it on PC for 60fps and everything

danowat

Banned
I've put seven hours in, and not for me, no. I haven't even touched the snowy portion of the map yet, either so if repetition does sink in, there's a big change up coming.

Damn, I am getting caught up in GAFerbole again........promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore games in their release week!!!

I need something new to play, as I am fairly bored with everything I got, but I am just worried that the new setting is just the emperors new clothes, and under the bonnet it's just another Ubi-openworld-borefest.

derFeef

Yes....sadly despite it's positives I'm selling my copy to my buddy because of the padding and collectathon. I'll check it out again later. Love the environments and gameplay though. Night hunting is amazing

That's a shame really, it looks so good and I love the setting. But I don't want to collect flowers to progress through the story.

killroy87

Damn, I am getting caught up in GAFerbole again........promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore games in their release week!!!

I need something new to play, as I am fairly bored with everything I got, but I am just worried that the new setting is just the emperors new clothes, and under the bonnet it's just another Ubi-openworld-borefest.

I mean...if that's the attitude you're going into this with, then don't expect a miracle. I don't think anyone, from reviews to people here, have tried to argue that this is a massive shakeup to the Ubi formula. But I just happened to be in the mood for that formula, and this is a very refined version of it

danowat

Banned
I mean...if that's the attitude you're going into this with, then don't expect a miracle. I don't think anyone, from reviews to people here, have tried to argue that this is a massive shakeup to the Ubi formula. But I just happened to be in the mood for that formula, and this is a very refined version of it

If the new setting can carry it off, then I could be down for it, wish there was a demo....

Fliesen

...I thought you couldn't put things in your stash, you could only take out? Have I just been missing something?

nah, you're correct.

The stash is less of a 'stash' but a 'mailbox' where daily deliveries or quest rewards are being deposited for you.

Ricker

I don't have the game - thats why Im asking. =)

So far no,because what you need to pick up is there in the menues and you can only pick 8/8 hardwood,or 16/16 green leaves at first so when you are maxed,thats it,you cant start another stack...only 3 hours in though and you raise the cap by doing the story and side quests and building your village etc etc...

owlbeak

Really a great game so far. I played about five hours total last night. Haven't went too far beyond the starting area, just exploring a bit and lighting campfires. Game is beautiful on PS4 and runs solid with no slowdowns so far. HUD off is the absolute way to go. The only thing I have on is hit direction indicators, health bar and the icons to show when you have a new skill/new crafting recipe. Combat is brutal, and the ragdolls and animations are great. Headshotting charging humans or animals with the bow and watching them crumple forward with the momentum is awesome. Still haven't killed a bear, but have been killed by bears upwards of five times. XD I've also become quite adept at sniping eagles and birds out of the air with the bow.

Can't wait to get home and dive back in. The setting is so unique and well done. I hope we see more games like this without a focus on the modern world and guns. It's become so boring, we need to support creative settings like this game. :D

God so good with headphones.

I need to try this tonight. I had a feeling it would be after playing a bit last night

So far really enjoying it, didn't get a chance to play more than an hour or so but I love the club already and how it slowly burns away after igniting it. Game looks gorgeous on PS4 too and runs very well so far.

mdsfx

WARNING: This is going to sound super cheesy

The main appeal to me, besides the time-period, is really the connection to nature in this game. Maybe I've missed out by not playing any survival games, but the simplicity here combined with the beautiful landscape is all it took to hook me. I'm honestly not looking for a complicated/engaging story. I think the setting alone creates enough of one.

It's also almost nostalgic in a way being that, as a kid, I played so much outside and took the time to enjoy being outdoors, playing in the grass, dirt, etc.I feel like I somewhat lost that connection with nature as I became older, started working full time, etc.

I'm really enjoying just playing/exploring in this setting.

Side note: Loved FC3, got bored with FC4 quickly and didn't finish it.

Definity

Could not finish far cry 4 but I'm really having fun with this new setting. Currently sidetracked on taming every animal I can. Sit down to play and 5 hours passed.

Yoday

The main appeal to me, besides the time-period, is really the connection to nature in this game. Maybe I've missed out by not playing any survival games, but the simplicity here combined with the beautiful landscape is all it took to hook me. I'm honestly not looking for a complicated/engaging story. I think the setting alone creates enough of one.

It's also almost nostalgic in a way being that, as a kid, I played so much outside and took the time to enjoy being outdoors, playing in the grass, dirt, etc.I feel like I somewhat lost that connection with nature as I became older, started working full time, etc.

It's probably due to the density of the environment. This is the most dense natural setting I have ever seen in a game, and combined with the fantastic lighting it feels like you're in the forest. On more than one occasion I have gotten a forest moon of Endor vibe as well.

I can't post while at work gaf but before my day starts, I say to you. Enjoy the land, the beauty, and the animals, because if you dont, surely some other animal will be enjoying you (after they suprise attack your ass) lol

Had a thought, would be great to see them do a Blood Dragon kinda DLC or Stand Alone with this game and just add a ton of dinosaurs. Hunting, or getting hunted, by raptors would be amazing or imagine hearing loud thuds when a T-Rex or something was approaching and the only thing you have to defend yourself is a bow, spear, and club.

I know it doesn't make sense having humans and dinosaurs together...but come on. I think it could be amazing.

Fliesen

I feel like the difference between FC3/4 and Primal is that this time around, you're kind of on equal footing to the animals around you.

Previously, they were just annoyances that sucked up some ammo. Now, depending on difficulty setting, a single pack of wolves could be your demise.

You're also more connected to the environment / nature, because this time around, you're constantly gathering natural resources around you, because you'll be needing them to craft new arrows and spears, as well as bait and food. - whereas in previous games, after killing those 3 Tapir's and 2 sharks for those grenade bags, you stop going on hunting trips and the only thing you'll constantly be picking up would be green plants.

DirtyLarry

not sure if i wanna dip. how are the graphics on this for ps4? are they close to or better than infamous/metal gear 5?
Better than MG5 in my opinion but of course that was 60 FPS, so we can expect it to be better.
I would say it is a close tie with Infamous but keep in mind there is a lot more going on in Far Cry as far as an active environment. And it is a forest compared to a city. Id say Primal is very impressive from the graphics standpoint taking into account all that is happening.

And reading some more of the impressions this morning, I must have gotten really lucky with my first bear encounter. I took the bear out right away. Granted I was pretty damn far away when I fired the first arrow.

Mi goreng

Better than MG5 in my opinion but of course that was 60 FPS, so we can expect it to be better.
I would say it is a close tie with Infamous but keep in mind there is a lot more going on in Far Cry as far as an active environment. And it is a forest compared to a city. Id say Primal is very impressive from the graphics standpoint taking into account all that is happening.

And reading some more of the impressions this morning, I must have gotten really lucky with my first bear encounter. I took the bear out right away. Granted I was pretty damn far away when I fired the first arrow.

nice! thanks, it's cheaper physical so i might go that route

Yo, this game feels like what Fry Cry was always meant to be (at least since 2)

Everything that Ubi-soft threw into the pot in 3 and 4...here it finally feels like it belongs and that it gels with the game we are presented with. I literally spent the entire last two hours just hunting, gathering and doing little side missions.

Can't wait to play more.

I agree with the bolded part. This game gives me FarCry 1 vibes that 2, 3, and 4 haven't.

Yeah, whatever they did it looks really nice, much better than FC4.

taken from gamespot...
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/far-cry-primal-day-one-patch-adds-expert-mode-and-/1100-6435036/

It looks like they improved lighting with the patch, good job.

Was the day 1 patch included in the pre-load? I bought mine digitally on both the Xbone and PS4 but neither indicate receiving a patch.

Plainsong

Good hearing the ton of positive comments here. There was so much negativity prior to this release that I feared the game would be as bad as people were making out - though of course none of them had played it yet so I could mostly ignore it.

My game arrived yesterday but I haven't started it yet because I want to finish TLoU first as I am very near the end - ironically I am at the part with just Ellie and the bow.

Those XB1 screenshots look great. Keep the comments coming. Super excited to get into it!

leng jai

Game definitely isn't for everyone. It's extremely slow paced and crafting is a core part of the gameplay. I'm enjoying it myself but I can see people hating it for sure.

Karak

That's not cheesy thats actually understanding the core fiction the developers are attempting to reflect. There is nothing cheesy about that.

I agree with the bolded part. This game gives me FarCry 1 vibes that 2, 3, and 4 haven't.

Was the day 1 patch included in the pre-load? I bought mine digitally on both the Xbone and PS4 but neither indicate receiving a patch.

Interesting. I didn't check to see if there was a expert mode yesterday. I will see later today.

Whats the verdict on PC/PS4/XBONE with this?

I'm looking at either Farcry 4, Ass Creed Syndicate or this as my next game...unsure.

I really like all 3. Honestly. You're in a good place no matter which you choose. I beat the first two and I'm 8 hours into Primal. I think Syndicate is the best of the bunch and I like FC4 better for the guns, but Primal made a lot of improvements and is a very good game in its own right.

I'd pick the one that sounds best to you.

Karak

People here with preload have indicated getting the patch. So not sure whats up.

derFeef

If the impressions keep that positive until next week I might bite. Just watched some videos again and I would be so into this.

People here with preload have indicated getting the patch. So not sure whats up.

No patch here either on Xbox One, digital version.

Where can this expert mode be found? Not seeing it in the gameplay options.

EDIT

I now see when i choose New Game that i can select Expert at Game difficulty. So i guess i have the patch after all.

Freeman76

If the impressions keep that positive until next week I might bite. Just watched some videos again and I would be so into this.

Thats the thing, a lot of the time you get a small section of those people with the 'new game' feel that praise a game to high heaven only to get bored and never finish it. Lots of that in these threads, and thats not a criticism as i have done it myself many times in the past.

Karak

Inherently the spread will be wider by then by sheer customer change.

Do we know how long the "main story" takes to complete? Just curious.

Could be 10 could be 30. The hud and difficulty have massive impact on your length of time played. Easy with all hud items on maybe 8-10 though you cant complete the main without a couple sides. And inherently difficulty and lack of hud make those sides take longer.

ironcreed

Banned
Game definitely isn't for everyone. It's extremely slow paced and crafting is a core part of the gameplay. I'm enjoying it myself but I can see people hating it for sure.

The slower pace, outstanding stone age immersion and hunting and crafting for more believable reasons make it the best of the series by far for me. No more hunting just to have a larger wallet while your friends are getting killed, lol. Here you are a hunter and gatherer because that is what you have to do to survive and build a settlement for your people. It all ties in together and makes sense in the grand scheme of what is going on.

Freeman76

Lol nice post! The only thing that makes me want this is my obsession as child with the prehistoric era. Once its half this price i will buy it just for that.

tomedo

So far no,because what you need to pick up is there in the menues and you can only pick 8/8 hardwood,or 16/16 green leaves at first so when you are maxed,thats it,you cant start another stack...only 3 hours in though and you raise the cap by doing the story and side quests and building your village etc etc...

I see, thanks for the reply.

derFeef

Thats the thing, a lot of the time you get a small section of those people with the 'new game' feel that praise a game to high heaven only to get bored and never finish it. Lots of that in these threads, and thats not a criticism as i have done it myself many times in the past.

I have been burned before, with Dying Light for example. But the thread now hiwlights the issues I have with the title. I am sure issues with this start to pop up sooner or later as well.

ironcreed

Banned

Not cheesy at all. I actually find myself hiding in the brush like some National Geographic photographer that took a trip back in time just to observe and take screenshots of the wildlife and the amazing actions they have.

Karak

I have been burned before, with Dying Light for example. But the thread now hiwlights the issues I have with the title. I am sure issues with this start to pop up sooner or later as well.

Exactly. More people get it more issues crop up and more people like it but the spread is going to get larger regardless.

Top Bottom