• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

Oliver Onion

Neo Member
I do and it looks and plays great.

A few shots I took:

The mountain range in the background was modeled after the Tre Cime de Lavaredo/Drei Zinnen in the Dolomites. Its just mirrored and a scaled upwards a little.

Orca

Started the game yesterday and I'm blown away by the atmosphere. I've been playing with the headset on, creeping around in the bush, throwing rocks to distract animals/people and then headshotting with my bow. It's the first game in a long time that has had me look over and realize it's 2 am and I need to get to bed.

I was stuck out in the wilderness when night fell and instead of going back to camp I posted up on an outcrop that gave me protection from the back to see what waiting it out was like. It's funny how quickly I could tell what was out there - the chuckling of the dhole packs, the grunty noises of the hogs, the awful coughing growl of a jaguar that probably knew I was there too...

I lit everything on fire. Seemed an appropriate response.

jtrov

This game is so good on Expert difficulty with no HUD. Having to learn your surroundings and hunting without the mini-map just adds so much more to the game and it just feels right based on the setting and time period. With health being so fragile you really need to pay attention to what is going on around you at all times, which again, feels so appropriate. It's just awesome roaming the lands with my tamed white wolf as we save some Wenja and gather some resources for the hunt. After becoming a beast master I've spent most of my hours just wondering the land in order to build my tribe up and become more acclimated with the land. Now it's time for some more story missions so I can get this damn grappling hook.

Is there really no weather affects in the game though? That rainstorm in the beast master mission was just so damn promising.

1337Sauce

Will the difficulty stated for each mission on the map adjust as I get more skills? Or is that just a general label that they have placed over each mission before you start it?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This game is so good on Expert difficulty with no HUD. Having to learn your surroundings and hunting without the mini-map just adds so much more to the game and it just feels right based on the setting and time period. .

I am playing on Hard with most HUD elements turned off (everything except Minimap and Reticle). I've toyed with the idea on turning the minimap off as well, but feel as though that would just lead to me using to the full map more often or using Hunters Vision more, which imo would be less immersive.

Do you find this to be the case?

N° 2048

I've come across this blocked cave, tried burning the wood in front and clubbing it but nothing.

Has a "?" so there is something inside to discover.

Any ideas?

edit: reading on reddit about how other caves are like this, maybe an ability?

Karak

I am playing on Hard with most HUD elements turned off (everything except Minimap and Reticle). I've toyed with the idea on turning the minimap off as well, but feel as though that would just lead to me using to the full map more often or using Hunters Vision more, which imo would be less immersive.

Yes for main map. As it should and no for hunter vision.
I have beat it with no hud and no minimap. Turning off the minimap is absolutely the #1 main immersion inducer.
As for Hunter vision that happens regardless as a couple missions require it.

N° 2048

I have beat it with no hud and no minimap. Turning off the minimap is absolutely the #1 main immersion inducer.

How do you know where to go? Do you look at the big map or no map at all?

I've come across this blocked cave, tried burning the wood in front and clubbing it but nothing.

Any ideas?

There was a cave I was looking for and ended up falling into it from above. XD

N° 2048

Yep like I said. Yes for the main map. You do indeed use it more. But it doesn't have to impact Hunter Vision. You can pretty quickly get out of using Hunter unless you need.

Same

So I'm using owl to replace map sort of. Turned off mini map. I like.

Frillen

There's a question mark a bit north east of the starting village. Or it's quite a bit to walk anyway. The location seem to be a cave but it's blocked by some trees. How do I get rid of those?

jtrov

I didn't really mess with quests at first so I could get a feel for the map. Now that I'm doing more side quests I mainly open up the map to see where the target is and head into the general direction, then using sound in order to see how close I am to villagers, animals, etc. I found it a bit difficult at first with my surround sound, but I'm using headphones now and I'm able to pick up the direction of most things. It definitely takes some time and patience, but I'm enjoying the slower pace it brings to the game as it feels like you're actually tracking and hunting as opposed to running right to the location. I'm sure some will find that annoying, but I'm really enjoying it. Nothing beats running into an event by accident since there is no mini-map to show you it popped up. It just feels more natural.

Aww man, just found the rare Black Lion. This game... Actually preferring night now with him around. I just ambushed an opposing tribes camp, and then burned their village down. I didn't realize their were unarmed civilians though, so watching them run out of the huts on fire was quite something...

Considering how much you loved the no HUD playthrough of this game, makes me want to replay Far Cry 2 so bad cause it's immersive as fuck in so many ways than just those HUD things.

GAF I made a video review for the game. I'm really value GAFs input and would love some contrustive critisism. Worked pretty hard on it so go easy on me. :p

https://t.co/dNCy0BAG1B

Great job, v0mitgOd. I got the general gist of what the game was about and its mechanics without spoiling what storyline it may have. The opening of the review also incorporated just the right level of humor to catch the viewer's attention without overstaying its welcome.

You need to work on smoother segues that create a nice bridge from one subtopic of the review to another. A simple sentence would be sufficient. Also, give a brief list of what you're going to talk about at the intro so the audience has a general idea of what will be discussed in your video.

Glad you enjoyed the game! Looking forward to playing it myself.

Karak

Trying to find a rare yak suuuuuucks.

What's so great about their skins anyway. Dumb yaks.

Sigh. Agreed man. I spent so long. I ended up just using the Sabre to kill as many as possible and traveled all the northlands. I think it took me close to 1 hour. But here is the thing. I think there is a chance of them spawning more if you have no pet?!?

Sounds odd but I spent hours with a pet and then suddenly thought. I am going to send him away. Very next group had 1 rare.

Frozone

From the video footage, this game looks very stunning. It reminds me of the Horizon trailer in many ways. Will have to pick this up at some point.

v0mitg0d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVBDCB1lbgM&feature=youtu.be

Great job, v0mitgOd. I got the general gist of what the game was about and its mechanics without spoiling what storyline it may have. The opening of the review also incorporated just the right level of humor to catch the viewer's attention without overstaying its welcome.

You need to work on smoother segues that create a nice bridge from one subtopic of the review to another. A simple sentence would be sufficient. Also, give a brief list of what you're going to talk about at the intro so the audience has a general idea of what will be discussed in your video.

Glad you enjoyed the game! Looking forward to playing it myself.

Really great advice! I agree with all your points. I'll work on those. Thanks FoxnHurley!

Can anybody help with this?

Iit's just a general label, the game just tells you that this particular mission or camp will be more challenging then the other, might have more enemies or tougher enemies etc but it won't change the in game difficulty for that mission/quest/outpost.

Fliesen

Any ideas?

was and still am having the same issue with a cave 300m north of the tribe village.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished the Deep Wounds tutorial mission, the game just "released" me into the world.

I'm really enjoying it so far. The graphics are very colorful and everything looks nice. I love the atmosphere and how foreign it all feels. I'm not sure how they did it, but it definately feels like a place before time instead of just, you know, a random forest. Audio is great too, so much ambient forest noise everywhere. Had to fiddle with the UI a bit though, disabled objectives, minimap and stuff like that. Kept stealth indicators on because otherwise the game would get unreasonably hard [I think].

Combat is a bit iffy I guess, but that was to be expected.

Also - it helps that I roleplay as Adam Jensen who took a wrong turn at Sarif Industries and ended up in a time machine. Everytime the girl talks to me I imagine him saying "I never asked for this" or "Yeah.. RIP".

razzel

I've realized Far Cry is probably always going to be a day 1 purchase for me. I have had an absolute blast with 3, 4, and Primal.

Klocker

really getting hooked now... in past FC games eventually the hunting and collecting become pointless, this game seems to reward you continually for collecting as you need the resources more... also after getting machine guns and grenade launchers the games always seemed to bottom out in fun for me after a few hours,,, this feels organic and challenging (LOVE the dangerous night cycle)

loving it

I'm enjoying the game so far. The world is very pretty and I like the primitive weaponry.

One nitpick is I don't like how the whole screen gets darker when you crouch. It makes zero sense and it doesn't look good.

0racle

I feel the animal density is a bit high. Everywhere I go I hear noises and see the same creatures depending on the area.

Area with tol many goats, then an area with too many deer etc etc etc.

I rather have less quantity requrements in crafting vs using the hunter vision and 10 things on screen light up yellow

Top Bottom