• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

dancmc said:
I did say human beings.....but if you are being sarcastic, then :D
I didn't notice you said human, but I was being sarcastic anyway. Fat acceptance is fairly sickening to me, especially with the overall state of the world. I think it'd be good for everyone to know what it's like to be truly starving for at least once in their lives. Changes your perspective on things.

Extintor

I am pro fat acceptance. I'm thin but my girlfriend is fat. I haven't 'settled' for what I think I can get by dating a fat girl. She is genuinely sexy to me.

To me, its just common sense and fair that fat people should be treated equally in legal and moral terms to thin people.

However, I do think that a lot of the people who claim to be online advocates of size acceptance (like the people that have been quoted so far) have their heads so far up eachothers asses that they are full of shit. I despair at the groupthink and moral 'outrage' that this title has drawn from some quarters. Its ridiculous and serves as an indicator just how far fat acceptance has got to go before it sorts itself out and can work out what it stands for, what battles it should be fighting and indeed who its enemies are?

A game about rescuing a fat princess is actually a positive development. How often do we see fat women in pop culture or the media being the focus of a product?

dancmc

Extintor said:
I am pro fat acceptance. I'm thin but my girlfriend is fat. I haven't 'settled' for what I think I can get by dating a fat girl. She is genuinely sexy to me.

To me, its just common sense and fair that fat people should be treated equally in legal and moral terms to thin people.

However, I do think that a lot of the people who advocate size acceptance have their heads so far up eachothers asses that they are full of shit. I despair at the groupthink and moral 'outrage' that this title has drawn from some quarters. Its ridiculous and serves as an indicator just how far fat acceptance has got to go before it sorts itself out and can work out what it stands for, what battles it should be fighting and indeed who its enemies are?

A game about rescuing a fat princess is actually a positive development. How often do we see fat women in pop culture or the media being the focus of a product?

I think that fat acceptance/tolerance should be looked at in a far different manner than how someone is treated because of their weight. I agree 100% that anyone who is overweight should not be discriminated against, but I also think that overweight people should be making attempts to be healthier; not only for themselves and their own health, but for the eventual drain on the healthcare/medicare/medicaid system that they will become.

Now enough of all that, back to the game, which looks like it will be really fun.

peetfeet

This thread has kept me amused all morning as i read snippets between work, thank you Fat Princess! Would there be so much fuss if it were Fat Prince? Not a chance, just a few overweight and insecure women kicking up a stink. What next? A bunch of fat and neurotic Italian plumbers attacking Nintendo cos they keep being labeled Mario?

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Fewr said:
Go away! we don't tolerate people who disagree with us, even if they are polite! Garrr!!

Did you miss the part where it was a post completely unrelated to the topic? Polite or not, it wasn't the place for it.

I mean 'LOLZ FATTIES! DON'T RUIN MY GAME! SERIOUS BUSINESS!'

MrHicks

Banned
PS2 KID said:
Nah, she's just hating on the PS2 Slim.
2ep2a0k.gif

Fewr

noire said:
Did you miss the part where it was a post completely unrelated to the topic? Polite or not, it wasn't the place for it.

I mean 'LOLZ FATTIES! DON'T RUIN MY GAME! SERIOUS BUSINESS!'
I did, and I also noticed that they disabled comments in the original post where they criticised the game. If they shut the original communication channel it's obvious people will keep trying to voice their opinions through other ways.

Holepunch

This annoys the hell out of me. Sparing the obvious Fat Princess doesn't in any way promote fat hatred, I don't get the whole fat movement. ITS NOT HEALTHY. And I don't understand why certain people seem to think the world should support fat people and their decision to be fat.

Its like...its like if there was a group of people whos' hobby was to jump into pools of radioactive waste. Then society tells them that's stupid, and really unhealthy, so the wastejumpers get all up in arms, calling society discriminatory and "wasteists". But society retorts but it really, really is dangerous, that they cause the healthcare system millions of dollars. And the wastejumpers get really mad, needing special equipment to test and uphold against their radioactive bodies, they need special treatment when it comes to transportation (because after all, who wants to sit next to a radioactive person?)

Fat people should be looked upon the same as smokers. In that if it disturbs or harms people around them or themselves, it should be placed upon their personal manner to stop. Their personal choice should not burden society. Fat acceptance should go as far as not insult fat people AT BEST, but when it comes to special treatment, really, piss off.

(I hope I just didn't fall for the ban trap)

JimiNutz

Banned
Second said:
Holy shit, this thread was a deathtrap.

Sorry banned guys lol.

Wait people got banned for making jokes about fat people? Really? Being fat isn't the same as being a certain race, sex, or age. Its not the same as getting cancer or getting raped or something equally horrific. Fat people are fat because they either eat too much, or eat unhealthily, it’s a CHOICE and they should be open to ridicule just the same as other people that make stupid decisions such as scientologists, or drink drivers (and no I’m not saying that fat people are the same or just as bad as drink drivers I’m just pointing out that they are both the result of a certain choice that you make.)

I'm sure being fat is a horrible thing to live with, but you aren't just magically born obese and it's not something that you cannot change. Being fat is a lifestyle choice-the same as smoking or excessive alcohol consumption. Addiction, as with most psychological disorders, can be beaten through strong will and perseverance, there is nothing physically wrong with you (and this is coming from somebody that used to sniff 3-5g of coke a week and also suffered from severe depression and at one point almost died form an overdose.)

The game is called Fat Princess because it features a princess and she happens to be fat-what else should they call the game?

Rant over :D

obesity is the result of an interplay between genetic and environmental factors

Just like almost EVERYTHING else in life then.
Some people are genetically more likely to get fat sure, well when you notice that you're piling in the lbs think to yourself 'shit maybe I shouldn't eat so much fucking junk.'
Some peole are also genetically more susceptible to depression, or alcoholism, so identify your triggers for depression and do something about it, or identify that you seems to love that liquor more than the average person and makes an effort to drink less. I’m not saying I have no sympathy for these poor people but at the same time they shouldn’t be lumped in with people suffering from things over which they have absolutely no control.

soldat7

NutJobJim said:
Wait people got banned for making jokes about fat people? Really? Being fat isn't the same as being a certain race, sex, or age. Its not the same as getting cancer or getting raped or something equally horrific. Fat people are fat because they either eat too much, or eat unhealthily, it’s a CHOICE and they should be open to ridicule just the same as other people that make stupid decisions such as scientologists, or drink drivers (and no I’m not saying that fat people are the same or just as bad as drink drivers I’m just pointing out that they are both the result of a certain choice that you make.)

I'm sure being fat is a horrible thing to live with, but you aren't just magically born obese and it's not something that you cannot change. Being fat is a lifestyle choice-the same as smoking or excessive alcohol consumption. Addiction, as with most psychological disorders, can be beaten through strong will and perseverance, there is nothing physically wrong with you (and this is coming from somebody that used to sniff 3-5g of coke a week and also suffered from severe depression and at one point almost died form an overdose.)

The game is called Fat Princess because it features a princess and she happens to be fat-what else should they call the game?

Rant over :D

The ignorance surrounding the topic of obesity is stunning. Truly stunning.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Fewr said:
I did, and I also noticed that they disabled comments in the original post where they criticised the game. If they shut the original communication channel it's obvious people will keep trying to voice their opinions through other ways.

Right... like an email perhaps.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
andycapps said:
Agreed, this girl is just wanting attention and hits on her site. Featuring her on 1UP Yours would only help her. Best to ignore.

Or hire her, like they did with Jane Pickard.

JimiNutz

Banned
soldat7 said:
The ignorance surrounding the topic of obesity is stunning. Truly stunning.

I read the wiki page you linked and posted my response. I re-read the message and realise that maybe I sound like I have no sympathy at all for people suffering from obesity but if you read my edits maybe you'll better see the point I'm trying to make.

Maybe I am a little harsher on obese people because I have also battled addictions and suffered from psychological problems and realise that you the individual have the power to change your circumstances.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
NutJobJim said:
Addiction, as with most psychological disorders, can be beaten through strong will and perseverance, there is nothing physically wrong with you (and this is coming from somebody that used to sniff 3-5g of coke a week and also suffered from severe depression and at one point almost died form an overdose.)

Awesome post man :D

It's not even the fat activism (lolz) that annoys me, it's her faux feminist garbage. Here's a newsflash: Feminism is NOT defacto man-hating, despite what these smug and pretentious slags would try and tell you. These are the women that have turned feminism into an utter joke, especially when they throw "clever" words like "heteronormative" around -- erroneously, in her case.

I'm fat, and I didn't bat an eyelid when I heard this game's name -- mainly because moving the eyelid could burn one of my precious calories. As someone who gets into a lot of fights online, I can't say it's cool being called fat over and over again (it's such a handy ad-hominen for retards) but by the same token, being fat isn't something to be proud of, and this volatile "fat acceptance" warbling does nobody any good.

She's a demented, sexist fool.

bryehn

Jim Sterling said:
It's not even the fat activism (lolz) that annoys me, it's her faux feminist garbage. Here's a newsflash: Feminism is NOT defacto man-hating, despite what these smug and pretentious slags would try and tell you. These are the women that have turned feminism into an utter joke, especially when they throw "clever" words like "heteronormative" around -- erroneously, in her case.

I'm fat, and I didn't bat an eyelid when I heard this game's name -- mainly because moving the eyelid could burn one of my precious calories. As someone who gets into a lot of fights online, I can't say it's cool being called fat over and over again (it's such a handy ad-hominen for retards) but by the same token, being fat isn't something to be proud of, and this volatile "fat acceptance" warbling does nobody any good.

She's a demented, sexist fool.

Best post of the whole thread.

jluedtke

Paul said:
Gee, this isn't sexist nor sizist in the least! A new game at E3 called Fat Princess involves battles and, oh yeah, fattening up a woman to the point of immobility. SUCH A GOOD IDEA.

Does it offend me more as a feminist or as a fat activist? I can't decide.

I wish I had enough time on my hands to sit around and choose which way I'm going to be offended.

Lighten up.

Oh, and heteronormative is my new least-favorite word.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
FlyinJ said:
There may be hope yet:

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/lose-weight-wit.html

I wonder if the next Rovian move by the GOP will be to mobilize the obese base. "The librulz are going to make you walk around and ride a bicycle! We need to drill in Alaska!"

somebody kill this
motherfucker

His number-crunching suggests a permanent $1 increase in gasoline prices could cut the obesity rate by 10 percent within seven years. The number of Americans who are overweight, but not obese, could fall by 7 percent in that time, he says, as people shun cars in favor of walking, biking or taking mass transit. Granted, you don't burn many calories sitting on the bus, but you burn quite a few walking to and from the bus stop, he says. People also tend to eat out less frequently, opting instead to cook their own meals. "These results suggest that the recent spike in gas prices may have the 'silver lining' of reducing obesity in the coming years," he writes in the paper.

JeTmAn81

I wonder what the angry internet lady thought of Wall-E...a movie whose human cast is made up of morbidly obese people who live their entire lives in floating chairs.

DunpealD

dralla said:
Sony will pull a Capcom and say there are fat people on the development team

Not really, but according to Joyofstick the studio director has replied with:
"Does it make it better or worse that the concept artist (who designed the look, characters, everything) is a girl?"

I think he means female though...

:lol

DunpealD said:
Not really, but according to Joyofstick the studio director has replied with:

I think he means female though...

:lol
Now the feminists will slay him. He's just digging himself a hole, unless its his daughter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dralla said:
Sony will pull a Capcom and say there are fat people on the development team

All I can say to that is, well, the same thing I would have said to the RE5 guy: in what capacity? I heard about white-shoe law firms getting building staff to show up at events and photo ops to put on a front, and yet, big surprise, there is no diversity among their ranks. It's all just a marketing and public relations front.

So even if it's true that fat people "worked" on this game in some manner (which we don't know for sure even sine the company hasn't addressed it yet)--what are their positions? how fat are they really? what was their involvement with the game? did they voice any of the concerns being voiced now by the public? what kind of a work environment is this game really perpetuating for these supposed staffers?

The list could go on and on, but you don't get a free pass just because you claim "oh, someone fat worked with us on this."

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
so I finally replied to one of her post:

I truly cannot understand why you are even making a fuss over this.

You wonder why people are making fun of you? Its not because you are fat, there are plenty of fat people out there to make fun of, myself included and probably half the people making fun of your over-exaggeration. It's because you are taking a good game that doesn't mean to insult anyone and making a idiotic case against it.

Yes being fat is negative. Ohhhh why aren't you more sensitive. Well if a fat feminist can call random people idiots or tards without a sensitivity concern I can say the truth about what obesity is. I would question if you are an actual asset to the feminist community or a liability. Obesity is a disease. I love the feminism movement. It has taught us the meaning of equality more so than any other groups. However this whole game against fat women thing is ridiculous. I think your perception of games has to change and you require consciousness raising about what gaming is. For example gamers are not just a bunch of teenage geeks looking to make 'chops on the internet.

what if lets say the game required you to starve the princess, then she would become weak and feeble which would require more soldiers to bring her back, is this an offense to thin women? Your argument is ridiculous and your are taking advantage of the fact that the world has become afraid to hurt peoples feelings (which is a good thing being that it affects people's self esteem). I applaud those who reject your idea with ridicule because that's what ridiculous arguments like yours require.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was fat for many years as a youth.

Now I'm not.

I say fat is something you can make fun of.

Humor is meant to ease pain. If you think about all humor, it always comes in some situation where something is painful or not quite perfect. We put a premium on fitness because it is a signal of health in the individual, and in sexual interest to create healthy offspring. When someone is not fit, this is a painful situation that demands humor to ease it.

And guess what... physical fitness is malleable.

This "fat princess" could lose weight and be attractive someday, but by identifying herself with fat women and defending fat women as a peer group, she is essentially not seeing her situation as malleable. Her loss.

GodofWine

They should add a feature to, prior to carrying the princess, have her 'purge'...alot....to slim her down and make her more appealing, and easier to carry back...that should make everyone happy. :lol

AndresON777

shooting blanks
PistolGrip said:
so I finally replied to one of her post:

I like this part a lot

what if lets say the game required you to starve the princess, then she would become weak and feeble which would require more soldiers to bring her back, is this an offense to thin women? Your argument is ridiculous and your are taking advantage of the fact that the world has become afraid to hurt peoples feelings (which is a good thing being that it affects people's self esteem). I applaud those who reject your idea with ridicule because that's what ridiculous arguments like yours require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom