• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpgN

Oke, I'm lost here. Being a girl (not fat mind you), I really can't follow her. Isn't it nice to be treated like a princess and rescued as well? Should all the skinny women be offended because they're often portrayed as princess as well? The game sounds funny as hell to me.

And good work, Himuro :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
RpgN said:
Oke, I'm lost here. Being a girl (not fat mind you), I really can't follow her. Isn't it nice to be treated like a princess and rescued as well? Should all the skinny women be offended because they're often portrayed as princess as well? The game sounds funny as hell to me.

And good work, Himuro :lol

See it's women like you, with your "it's sometimes nice to be rescued" bull that continues to hold down the female superior...err... equality movement!

npm0925

Neogaf never fails to impress me. You don't fuck with this board. N'gai, Dyack, fat princess, when will people learn?

Belgand

J-Rzez said:
How long was this fat movement around though? Was it before or after that episode of Family Guy?

No, it's been going on for a lot longer than that:

"The overweight individuals in this country are just as smart and talented and hard working as everybody else. And they're going to make their voices heard! All they need is a leader." (1995)

Enk

makes good threads.
All this praise for Himuro when he didn't create or post that pic in the blog in the first place.

RpgN

Kinitari said:
See it's women like you, with your "it's sometimes nice to be rescued" bull that continues to hold down the female superior...err... equality movement!

:D

It's a funny little game with a nice twist. Being upset and serious about a game is ridiculous. I know I'll get my hands on it when it's released on PSN.

Belgand

RpgN said:
Oke, I'm lost here. Being a girl (not fat mind you), I really can't follow her. Isn't it nice to be treated like a princess and rescued as well? Should all the skinny women be offended because they're often portrayed as princess as well?

Tell me about it. If I insist that I work and my girlfriend stays home and takes care of domestic chores I'm a sexist monster. If I suggest that I stay home instead and see to domestic tasks while she works then I'm also a sexist bastard. A lazy one to boot.

Let's face it, I've found that being a housewife (without kids at least) is great: sleep late, stay up until dawn, screw around all day, game all night, cook dinner, and run other errands as needed. While I certainly support anyone's right to do what they want let's face it: stereotypical gender roles for women can be pretty cushy.

Mamesj

Banned
Cdammen said:
She didn't get the royalties? Hang in there. Sony's check is on its way :(

:lol

(EDIT) Oh the comments! They're killing me! :lol

okapav.jpg

Shop by Himuro.

seems more like something jarosh would do.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, that site just emphasizes my philosophy that "people are stupid unless they prove themselves otherwise."

Clearly, Shakes and PonyGirl still have quite a bit left to prove.

But...I suppose that have to wait until after their third-post-dinner-supper. Whatever. I'll wait.

Clinton514

I really don't like being mean, but is she upset because the game is a little too close to home in regards to cake eating? :-O

Evander

"industry expert"
Any time I hear or read the word "heteronormative" my brain just shuts off.

I am ALL FOR freedom of lifestyle choice, but if you want to gain acceptance, the solution is to break in to the mainstream by lifting yourself up, not to whine about it and pull everyone down to your level.

This game isn't oppressive; it's a silly little video game. If you want to promote gender-agnostic roles, then don't bitch about this game, go and make a better one that's gender agnostic. I'm pretty sure that this game wasn't made with any hegemonic agenda in mind.

noonche

Evander said:
Any time I hear or read the word "heteronormative" my brain just shuts off.

I am ALL FOR freedom of lifestyle choice, but if you want to gain acceptance, the solution is to break in to the mainstream by lifting yourself up, not to whine about it and pull everyone down to your level.

This game isn't oppressive; it's a silly little video game. If you want to promote gender-agnostic roles, then don't bitch about this game, go and make a better one that's gender agnostic. I'm pretty sure that this game wasn't made with any hegemonic agenda in mind.

Except her bitching isn't about gender roles. Heteronormatism doesn't have anything to do with being fat, it's about sexual orientation. She's trying to use big words to sound smart.

Evander

"industry expert"
alske said:
Except her bitching isn't about gender roles. Heteronormatism doesn't have anything to do with being fat, it's about sexual orientation. She's trying to use big words to sound smart.

No, we're both right, it does branch out in to gender roles (which are considered to be supported by heterosexual society), and she is using it to refference the princess saving aspect of the game as being sexist so that she sounds "smart" while complaining.

What always amuses me is that Super Princess Peach is even deeper into gender roles than all of the other games, because despite the fact that she is actually rescuing mario that time around, suddenly the world is full of flowers and hearts, and better still, her various powers are based on her emotions!

There are definitely issues with the portrayal of women in video games, but using the word "heteronormative" to complain about it just makes you come off as a tool.

Gabyskra

Banned
What a stupid thread. So much sexism, it's unbearable. True to every cliché about the gaming crowd, it's disappointing from a forum where some discussions can be of a better level.

this is as laughable as those calling resident evil 5 racist. Of course more people are laughing cause race isn't involved but still.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Gabyskra said:
What a stupid thread. So much sexism, it's unbearable. True to every cliché about the gaming crowd, it's disappointing from a forum where some discussions can be of a better level.

Ah, I severely doubt 90% of the 'sexist' comments in this thread are serious (of which there were very very few). It feels like they are meant to poke fun at this extreme emphasis of gender issues. It's kind of how I feel about organizations that try to promote African American (black) ideals. In their pursuit to 'bring together' black people, they end up alienating them from everyone else. In general, I think people need to be a bit more easy going about this.

It's understandable that people can be offended by a lot of things, but there are only so many things we can do to avoid insulting people before we start completely impeding our ability to speak/enjoy things. I know this sounds like I'm okay with everyone being dickwads, but really, people just need to draw their own lines.

sonicmj1

Evander said:
There are definitely issues with the portrayal of women in video games, but using the word "heteronormative" to complain about it just makes you come off as a tool.

It's so true.

Only someone who complains about harmless stuff like this would use 'heteronormative' sincerely.

Gattsu25

Banned
Coverly said:
From the replies on her site:
what are you pissed about anyway ? Atleast Sony is depicting your oversized ass as something worth saving, whereas in reality, most men wouldn't even give you a glance. you should be grateful.
:lol
Ice. Fucking. Cold.

arne

Evander said:
I'm pretty sure that this game wasn't made with any hegemonic agenda in mind.

and in that respect you are wrong. in this case, there is a princess, and a castle. clearly one can infer that there is probably a ruler, a king, queen, emperor and the like -- likely a wealthy landowner and the economy is probably a feudal system. nevermind that there is a conflict between two of these ruling landowners, one of whom is likely not only vying for dominance, but for total control of the lands. therefore, it is quite clear there is a hegemonic agenda in this PSN title.

Bildi

AKS said:
Judging from that picture of her, I don't think she's ever tried it...or any other form of physical activity.

The Wii Fit balance board has a limit of 330lbs. I don't think she's tried it.

Is this thread still a trap? With as many people I've seen banned for fat jokes, I'm expecting this fly-trap to snap shut any second.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
God's Beard said:
what does retrofuck mean?

Not sure, but I am guessing "retroactive fuck" - where something will occur that will trigger a chain of events that will retroactively fuck everyone associated with it?

Bojangles

I'm not really about to read this whole thread. but since is fat hating the same as heteronormative? Or does condemning fat people automatically make someone a homophobe?

Or maybe it's the princess thing... I guess rescuing a princess means you hate gays now?
Take some more women's studies courses and stfu kthx bye.

KTallguy

Banned
Bojangles said:
If I read "bigot" one more time, I'm going to go eat a fucking piece of cake.

Let me stuff MORE DOWN YOUR THROAT SO THE ENEMY TEAM CAN'T CARRY YOU.

Kotaku said:
As we tend not to be pre-offended by these types of things — probably due to caveman like ignorance — we were a bit surprised to see such a loud reaction. Just kidding, it's the internet. We were, however, genuinely surprised to be so disappointed by the results of a Google Image Search for "fat princess."

You're doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom