• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FB worker living in garage to Zuckerberg: challenges are right outside your door

Theonik

You're suggesting they relocate so that the contract staff can live more comfortably?
They relocate so they can pay their staff less more like. But if the local residents don't give facebook what it needs to run its business moving is the right option. You see that all the time when more office space is needed etc.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I am just pulling this out of my ass, but the reason the parent chose to live in the expensive area is probably for the school districts. A lot of people in LA does that in expensive neighborhood.

I am sure with their salaries they can drive 1-2 hours for a more affordable place to live.

Syriel

A 3 bedroom apartment in that area is around 3-5k a month.

It's not hard to educate yourself about this before posting nonsense numbers.

Average price of a 2 BR apt in San Francisco is $4650 which is $55,800 a year.

Here is some more info: https://smartasset.com/mortgage/what-is-the-cost-of-living-in-san-francisco

Menlo Park is crazy expensive because it's Menlo Park.

Hopping across the Bay (and the Dumbarton) to Fremont means you can find a 3 bed/2ba for between $2800-$3500/mo. That'll be a 30-60 min commute depending on traffic (standard for the area) and still below the 50% of income that most in the SF Bay Area pay for housing.

An example:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_re...,-121.779671,37.31939,-122.236977_rect/10_zm/

You're suggesting they relocate so that the contract staff can live more comfortably?

Some folks are living in a dream world i guess.

They relocate so they can pay their staff less more like. But if the local residents don't give facebook what it needs to run its business moving is the right option. You see that all the time when more office space is needed etc.

Facebook is a software engineering company, the highest concentration of highly skilled software engineers is silicon valley.
Not in some random city, you probably need to pay top software engineers more to move to that random city.
Or be happy you lost your competitive edge and hire lower tier developers in a small town.

I am just pulling this out of my ass, but the reason the parent chose to live in the expensive area is probably for the school districts. A lot of people in LA does that in expensive neighborhood.

I am sure with their salaries they can drive 1-2 hours for a more affordable place to live.
Yup. School districts is there most important thing to many parents. I can relate!

Kthulhu

Facebook could relocate. Companies often do because of these kinds of issues. Let's see the homeowners complain when their houseprices plummet.

That would be like a steel company leaving Pittsburgh or an auto manufacturer leaving Detroit at the height of their respective booms. It makes too much sense for a major tech company to have it's HQ in San Francisco.

Theonik

Facebook is a software engineering company, the highest concentration of highly skilled software engineers is silicon valley.
Not in some random city, you probably need to pay top software engineers more to move to that random city.
Or be happy you lost your competitive edge and hire lower tier developers in a small town.
When you're facebook that's not an issue. People move cross-country to work for you.
I'm not suggesting this is what Facebook should do. I'm saying it is well within their powers to do so if so desired.
E: This is all contingent their plans to build housing fails because of locals. You can't sustain industry without affordable housing not even Silicon Valley can.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
How many homes could Facebook build, for say 1bn? And still have 437 billion in the bank

About 1,000. They also don't have 437b in the bank. They have less than 10bn in assets they could liquidate.... so they could say build 10,000 houses in the bay. Do they give those houses to people?

The problem is too many people in an area. Giving everyone higher wages doesn't fix the problem at all.

Paying them a shit load isn't going to fix the housing situation.

You are treating a symptom and hoping it cures the entire disease.

And paying everyone a livable wage and not fixing the housing problem is only going to drive the price of housing up even more because everyone will have more money to spend on housing. It is clearly a supply issue not being able to keep up with demand.

Exactly. The problem is too many people in an area where you can't expand houses. The solution would be huge condo and apartment complexes for housing. We've seen what happens in the past by building giant housing projects, they don't tend to work out so well.

What will happen is that eventually business will move out due to the cost or lack of employees they can afford to pay. Then it will crash.

Syriel

The problem is no new housing is being created, except in San Jose where you'll find 2.5k+ apartments and condos. But I would sooner kill myself than live in SJ.

The problem is housing. The city needs to build more affordable housing.

Paying them a shit load isn't going to fix the housing situation.

How many homes could Facebook build, for say 1bn? And still have 437 billion in the bank

Facebook has been trying to build housing for awhile.

It has a current plan for 1500 units, 15% BMR, and office/retail space. It'll take at least two years to get thru the Menlo Park approval process, assuming there are no NIMBY objections.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-facebook-housing-idUSKBN19S31V

And as I replied, fb could quite easily take the staff back in house
Why? What would Facebook gain from doing this? Sure, any billion dollar tech company could do a lot of things, but doing what you are saying makes no sense. It is significantly more expensive and complicated to run an in-house cafe department than simply cut a single check to a contractor every X number of months and be completely worry free. What you are saying makes zero sense, and is why Facebook outsources this work.

Javaman

Where are they spending their 70k a year on if they are effectively living rent free in his father's house. Unless he is paying them rent for the garage it just doesn't make sense that they are living paycheck to paycheck.

Why? What would Facebook gain from doing this? Sure, any billion dollar tech company could do a lot of things, but doing what you are saying makes no sense. It is significantly more expensive and complicated to run an in-house cafe department than simply cut a single check to a contractor every X number of months and be completely worry free. What you are saying makes zero sense, and is why Facebook outsources this work.

Google has a lot of in-house chefs. But a lot contracted as well.

Can't really defend them, there already getting paid better then min. wage ..a job that not complicated ...don't want to come out as begin a dick, but it is what it is ...and they live in a high cost of living area ...yeah ...can't expect to get paid $25 an hr while some people with college degree barely make $25+ an hr
I fucking love this post and the casual assertion that these people shouldn't dare dream to earn much as someone with A COLLEGE DEGREE does.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Once all those poor move out there will be nobody to do those jobs, they will have to get the IT guys to staff the cafeteria at 4x the cost.

JWiLL

Banned
The housing market is surely the biggest factor affecting their life there.

That being said, and I don't mean for this to sound offensive (though I'm sure some will take it that way), but if you're living situation is as such...you probably shouldn't have 3 children.

Google has a lot of in-house chefs. But a lot contracted as well.
I could understand having an in-house, high end, Chef, to run a cafe of contracted workers. The linked article didn't say whether these particular individuals in this case have any unique culinary ability, and they sound like run of the mill cafe workers. These individuals are going to be contracted, just like many others such as landscapers, etc.

Nipo

Once all those poor move out there will be nobody to do those jobs, they will have to get the IT guys to staff the cafeteria at 4x the cost.

Or the entire area will become proof of concept for automation and they'll see how few people they can get by with. That will then spread to the rest of the country leading to massive unemployment.

WhatNXt

William and James Darcy Lever (founders of what is now Unilever) built the town of Port Sunlight for their workers in the late 1800s. In that same century, The Cadbury family built the village of Bournville for their workers. Sir William Hartley, owner of Hartleys Jam, had a village built for his key workers. Sir Henry Tate donated his art and thousands of pounds to worthwhile causes in education and health in towns and cities wherever Tate and Lyle operated.

In 2017, Mark Zuckerberg employs families that live in garages.

She's right, he should take more interest in what his presence in that state is doing to rents and think about how he might help.

Can't really defend them, there already getting paid better then min. wage ..a job that not complicated ...don't want to come out as begin a dick, but it is what it is ...and they live in a high cost of living area ...yeah ...can't expect to get paid $25 an hr while some people with college degree barely make $25+ an hr
Well, it's the bay area. If you don't want your employees to move out and find a job elsewhere you have to be competitive.

Theonik

Or the entire area will become proof of concept for automation and they'll see how few people they can get by with. That will then spread to the rest of the country leading to massive unemployment.
More likely is that eventually Facebook outgrows their ability to expand in that location due to housing becoming cost prohibitive/running out of office space. When that happens they will have to move. /somewhere/ wherever land is affordable. What history has taught us is that for large companies like that what makes sense is to try and buy lots of land and build a purpose built community around it to house their workers in either one large campus or of you prefer a Facebook village. Many industrial cities were built much in the same way. The major companies simply bought the land and built the housing there.

E: In fact it's why many of the major silicon valley players are adding housing as part of their equation when expanding their existing campuses today.

J-Rzez

Oh how do I hate that... he can do both just fine. How entitled is she? He's already paying your salary.

But they can't get by on their income well enough. And then you have people saying so just live outside the area. Yea, we should strive to be like the olden days where people worked in the castles had to live outside the protective walls of their job. Make them suffer that they have to drive their cheaper cars longer distances giving up more time of their days because they're not as important. Lets have the richer people with the nicer comfy cars have the shorter commutes.

This guy wants to talk about the salary discrepancies, yet he has how much assets?

This "area inflation" needs to stop. Only way these companies will learn is when they drive people out of where they choose to set up shops, and have to pay significantly more to get these same people back.

leroidys

More likely is that eventually Facebook outgrows their ability to expand in that location due to housing becoming cost prohibitive/running out of office space. When that happens they will have to move. /somewhere/ wherever land is affordable. What history has taught us is that for large companies like that what makes sense is to try and buy lots of land and build a purpose built community around it to house their workers in either one large campus or of you prefer a Facebook village. Many industrial cities were built much in the same way. The major companies simply bought the land and built the housing there.

E: In fact it's why many of the major silicon valley players are adding housing as part of their equation when expanding their existing campuses today.
They've been hiring like crazy in Seattle. All the Silicon Valley firms are. Ruining one city and its surroundings wasn't enough.

The family of five have lived in this cramped space next to Victor's parents' house for three years

So they live at home, and either are rent free and spend everything elsewhere or they rent from Victor's parents at a rate that leaves them broke? Something doesn't add up.

btrboyev

What do they mean thy ant afford the healthcare their employers provides them? Most companies will not let employees not take a health plan if it's a benefit for full time employees.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Once again people are being mislead or misleading themselves into thinking people should be dependent on corporations to have a social safety net instead of it being the government's responsibility.

You're barking at the wrong tree. First you get a living wage, then you need all the regulations imaginable to make sure you can't lose your job overnight, then you need the government to bail out companies to support people, etc. It's taking the problem all the wrong way, it's fucking up the economy at other countries' benefits.

Fight corruption thoroughly, put in place an efficient tax system, and cover society's basic needs using the revenues so that people aren't forced to work to live and support their kids. Then let businesses live by their own mantra of free market offering what people will take to work for them.

dankir

She lives in Menlo park??? I've eaten at the Facebook HQ and it's amazing. Family friend of mine has a sick position at FB. HIS house cost like 1.5 - 1.7...this specific employee needs to live in another city though.

17 dollars an hour is not a salary. Shit is too low to live on with a family. Regardless if both parents make it.

Ha! You should try and live in Puerto Rico. Here a family of 5 live on a $7.25/hr 32 hour a week salary. And that's with a whopping 11.5% sales tax on almost every good but medicines and non prepared food.

-So are they paying rent for that garage?
-What do the parents parents do sounds like they aren't struggling?
-Ask if they can go rent free if they aren't to save money?
-Don't borrow money for Birthday parties if you cant get by.
-I never grew up with a room, be honest with your children and tell her to chill till they can get more money.
-Time to move IF your struggling that bad or commute the job/pay is that great. I know people who commute 1 to 2 hours to work and they have children.

I think there is a disconnect in this forum between what is possible to live on depending on where you are from. In Europe you can live on €15 with one person working to support a family of four. It basically means you don't pay any taxes, come out with 2500 € including child support and health care for everyone. Rent would be 600 to 700 €. So you could live relatively comfortably on that one salary in a small to medium town.

That two people work for more than that (with much less time off, we have 24 mandatory holiday days plus unlimited sick days plus sick days for when your kids are sick) and have to live in a garage in the US and don't even have health care is mind blowing. I'd say if your employer doesn't pay you enough to afford the minimum any decent working human being should have, get another job somewhere else.

In "Europe"? Europe is a big place. There are cities, I'm sure, where this wouldn't be enough money.
Same in the US.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
She lives in Menlo park??? I've eaten at the Facebook HQ and it's amazing. Family friend of mine has a sick position at FB. HIS house cost like 1.5 - 1.7...this specific employee needs to live in another city though.
Which city? It's not like the Bay has a lot of spawning land like other areas. You know that Menlo Park was a modest community before FB came along, right? And that your friend's $1.5M home used to be a tiny fraction of that when it was constructed, because most of the houses there were built in the mid-late 20th century.

I know that FB overpays devs, some make $200k only after a year of experience. It makes no sense.

Isotropy

William and James Darcy Lever (founders of what is now Unilever) built the town of Port Sunlight for their workers in the late 1800s. In that same century, The Cadbury family built the village of Bournville for their workers. Sir William Hartley, owner of Hartleys Jam, had a village built for his key workers. Sir Henry Tate donated his art and thousands of pounds to worthwhile causes in education and health in towns and cities wherever Tate and Lyle operated.

In 2017, Mark Zuckerberg employs families that live in garages.

She's right, he should take more interest in what his presence in that state is doing to rents and think about how he might help.

Lev

How about these tech companies offer some cheap housing on their own campuses? That'd be a far better solution (if feasible) than expecting these employees to live out of garages or commute two hours one way.

BadHand

What responsibility does Zuckerberg have if she works for a subcontractor? If I pay a cleaning company a fair price to clean my house, how responsible am I if the maids they employ are paid minimum wage?

They've unionized now - let them strike and negotiate fairer pay. Facebook developers will have to go without their avocado toast for a few days.

Baki

I'm sure a $480B corporation can afford to pay it's service workers enough to afford a frigging apartment for a family of five in the bay area.

The necessary amount isn't the issue, because Facebook is a profit generating company, they can easily adjust these workers salaries so they don't have to live paycheck to paycheck just to scrape by.

3 bed apartment would easily cost upwards of $5,000 a month in the Bay Area. So household income would have to be above $170K.

Wider problem is nimbyism leading to unaffordable cost of living.

How about these tech companies offer some cheap housing on their own campuses? That'd be a far better solution (if feasible) than expecting these employees to live out of garages or commute two hours one way.

They want to but aren't allowed to. Blame local government & nimbyism.

Paying employees more is not the answer. That would just increase the rents even more. What you want is supply-demand equilibrium. Paying people more just increase the demand. Have we not learned anything yet?

digdug2k

I know it increases gentrification, but the bay area needs to build a fucking working mass transit system so that people can live more than a few miles away from work without having a 3 hour commute every day. Bart/Muni/Caltrain is literally the worst system I've been on anywhere in the world. Too few lines that don't go anywhere useful so you have to take a bus when you get off anyway.

That's an amazing wage. The problem isn't Facebook, the problem is the politicians. The cost of housing is out of control due to poorly thought out housing regulations.

They won't move. They'll expand and open offices in other cities. Probably Seattle, Vancouver, New York, Toronto, London.

Which city? It's not like the Bay has a lot of spawning land like other areas. You know that Menlo Park was a modest community before FB came along, right? And that your friend's $1.5M home used to be a tiny fraction of that when it was constructed, because most of the houses there were built in the mid-late 20th century.

I know that FB overpays devs, some make $200k only after a year of experience. It makes no sense.

FB has signing bonuses that range from 75,000 to 250,000 for entry-level. lol

I haven't lived in one of these expensive areas that people often talk about. I don't see how things could really be as expensive as people make out - as in, $90,000 a year being just enough to 'get by' in San Fransisco, or where ever.

I understand rent and mortage costs might be significantly higher in good areas of these cities, so let's say $2000 a month for a well-kept apartment in a safe area. So let's say $30,000 a year, just to even bump that up a bit.

Are utilities really 10x what they are in cheaper places to live? Groceries and stuff might be a little bit more expensive, but largely these kinds of things are standard across countries. I don't know how seriously to take the 'it's impossible to live on x salary in this city' stuff, but not having lived in these places, I don't really know, so I'd like to hear how this all adds up to $90,000 or there abouts being only just about a decent standard of living and not a shitload of money.

I'm not talking supporting a whole family btw, that's expensive anywhere. I just mean one person trying to keep themselves afloat.

$2k a month won't get you a 1 bedroom in most of SF.

Maximo

Still need people to do the small jobs but not willing to pay them a bigger wage "Just live outside the city" is not the best response, more money is being spent for travel more time ia being spent travelling meaning less work hours or most meaning less time for family and leisure time.

Top Bottom