• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC is to vote on net neutrality

JordanN

Banned
They are paying my airspace fee, or they are being shot down by my SAM installations. That is my right as a libertarian.

Not an argument.

Euphor!a said:
I don't care if people believe in me, they are using a road, not electing me to some commie government position. If my road is more convenient than the alternatives they'll get used.

No one is using your road. They've all taken off and founded their own community where you're banned from doing business from.

Government is necessary in some form, but it's best when it's limited.

It's not either get rid of government, or allow a dictatorship to form. Ever notice how polarized people become instantly? Divide and rule..

Where is it best where it is limited? Which superpower in the world, which country in the vicinity of the population and scale of the US, has a limited government that proves to you that it is 'best'? It should be an easy question to answer if you are that certain.

JordanN

Banned
And how does this get addressed with "the less government the better"?
Standard Oil Co vs United States

A monopolistic government tells a monopolistic business what they can do.
That's somewhat of a double standard, even if it represents the greater good.

But if the idea is "all competition ceases to exist once a company grows large enough in the free market" I would still say that can be remedied. Another conglomerate could enter the same industry if they feel they would be threatened by the growing Oil one.

Or the monopoly could collapse one day on its own, and we naturally see the fragmented pieces spin off into their own businesses.

Manus

I'm just saying Netflix uses 37% of the USA's bandwidth during peak hours.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-bandwidth-usage-internet-traffic-1201507187/

Our ISP's have every right to charge them more or throttle their speed than other companies. I'm all for the way the internet is now I just think we need more ISPs in the USA. If some of these companies actually put some money into these ISP's to expand things would be so much better. I'm sure their still places out their with only one or two internet companies to choose from.

JordanN

Banned
holy shit at jordanL's dumbass libertarian logic taking over this thread. dude is seriously stunted.

When people call me names, it means they don't disagree or cannot come up with a counter rebuttal.

I've been on this site for the past two weeks and every time someone cannot debate, they have to resort to swearing or name calling, as if that somehow makes me wrong.

So I hope no one thinks they're being smart or trying to scare me when I've seen this all play out before.

Euphor!a

Banned
Not an argument.

No one is using your road. They've all taken off and founded their own community where you're banned from doing business from.

Your whole "not an argument" bit is just dumb because your post before was "not an argument". You see your problem is your answer to everything basically just boils down to "Well that is not how it would be in MY libertarian utopia. Where all millionaires are benevolent. Companies give away "free" gifts. All the poors are dead. There are no monopolies. No one is exploited. And there is fucking in the streets over how excited people are to be living under corporate rule."

You don't have an argument. You have a fantasy.

When people call me names, it means they don't disagree or cannot come up with a counter rebuttal.

I've been on this site for the past two weeks and every time someone cannot debate, they have to resort to swearing or name calling, as if that somehow makes me wrong.

So I hope no one thinks they're being smart or trying to scare me when I've seen this all play out before.

lol. I've seen you disappear from over a dozen debates in like less than a week, and that is just what I've seen. What you're describing has not happened, sorry.

Anyone who wants to get rid of NN is either profiting from it, is ajit pai, or someone who doesn’t know what it is, or someone who does understand it and is genuine pos.

I can’t believe we even have to fight for this. Corporations are fucking us in the ass while picking our pockets. They are getting wayyyyyyyyyy to powerful. It’s scary as shit.

I think you're delusional, quite frankly. You have beliefs, but that doesn't automatically mean you are making compelling or coherent arguments for them. Maybe ask yourself why you are getting called names without automatically believing that you aren't doing anything wrong.

Blood Borne

Anyone who wants to get rid of NN is either profiting from it, ajit pai, someone who doesn’t know what it is, or someone who does understand it and is genuine pos.

I can’t believe we even have to fight for this. Corporations are fucking us in the ass while picking our pockets. They are getting wayyyyyyyyyy to powerful. It’s scary as shit.

So please explain why corporations such as Google, Apple, Amazon and Netflix support net neutrality if they're not going to profit from it?

This is a classic example of public naivety and credulity. Virtually all policies are lobbied by some corporation. What's good for the public is always secondary. Policies are made on which corporation(s) has the most influence and money.

Net neutrality will benefit some corporations such as the aforementioned, and net neutrality being cancelled will benefit some corporations such Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, etc

JordanN

Banned
I think you're delusional, quite frankly. You have beliefs, but that doesn't automatically mean you are making compelling or coherent arguments for them. Maybe ask yourself why you are getting called names without automatically believing that you aren't doing anything wrong.

Ask yourself why haven't I called anyone names or just blurt out swears?

I had a an argument in real life about this. He's an overzealous Christian, who absolutely cannot or would not listen to criticism.

When I point this out, he swears and swears and believes Christianity can never be at fault for anything. When I point out why does he need to swear or why doesn't Jesus act the same way in the bible, he says God doesn't care and would let Christians do anything.

Even though I know the last part is false, you have to understand how frustrating it is when I deal with people who think they have a moral high ground over me but then it turns out I'm not the one flailing my arms and going on a rampage over the simple fact going berserk doesn't win an argument.

=============

At the end of the day, I will always value sanity and logic over pure batshit arrogance and stubbornness. I could do the whole "flail my arms and swear the most" tactic too but I wont. Not because I'm incapable, but because such behavior leads to nowhere and thus is a waste of my time.

It also continues to fuel my suspicion how flawed government is. Do you really the believe the government likes being criticized for any of their day to day action?. Nope. When people prop them up with their tax dollars, they give them a blank check to say "fuck you" to everyone and that's the reason why every country has so many problems. You empowered them, now you pay for it.

So please explain why corporations such as Google, Apple, Amazon and Netflix support net neutrality if they're not going to profit from it?

This is a classic example of public naivety and credulity. Virtually all policies are lobbied by some corporation. What's good for the public is always secondary. Policies are made on which corporation(s) has the most influence and money.

Net neutrality will benefit some corporations such as the aforementioned, and net neutrality being cancelled will benefit some corporations such Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, etc

Doesn’t Comcast own Hulu? If NN is destroyed, what’s gonna stop Comcast from slowing down the speed of Netflix and keeping Hulu normal? I’d be a little worried if I were Netflix. Same with amazon.

And I don’t trust google and apple. Fuck them. It’s just like Exxon or other oil companies supporting clean energy and other bullshit. They just say that shit to confuse dummies, we know those companies are evil.

Are you for NN being dismantled?

Euphor!a

Banned

I had a an argument in real life about this. He's an overzealous Christian, who absolutely cannot or would not listen to criticism.

When I point this out, he swears and swears and believes Christianity can never be at fault for anything. When I point out why does he need to swear or why doesn't Jesus act the same way in the bible, he says God doesn't care and would let Christians do anything.

Even though I know the last part is false, you have to understand how frustrating it is when I deal with people who think they have a moral high ground over me but then it turns out I'm not the one flailing my arms and going on a rampage over the simple fact going berserk doesn't win an argument.

Yep, instead you just like to ignore criticism and disappear, apparently thinking you "won" or some such nonsense.

That is way better.....

It's unavoidable at this point I guess. I really hope this doesn't fly over to the EU as a lot of American things tend to do. Either way it's probably going to be quite devastating for US middle and small businesses, outside of what the users have to suffer through.

Blood Borne

Ridiculous logic. Calling people names in argument/debate shows the person has no rebuttal, shows immaturity and the person can't keep their emotions in check.

=============

At the end of the day, I will always value sanity and logic over pure batshit arrogance and stubbornness. I could do the whole "flail my arms and swear the most" tactic too but I wont. Not because I'm incapable, but because such behavior leads to nowhere and thus is a waste of my time.

It also continues to fuel my suspicion how flawed government is. Do you really the believe the government likes being criticized for any of their day to day action?. Nope. When people prop them up with their tax dollars, they give them a blank check to say "fuck you" to everyone and that's the reason why every country has so many problems. You empowered them, now you pay for it.

You literally don't make any sense. What you post are simply feelings, how you personally feel about things. It's not rational, well reasoned, formed from sincere and meaningful debate, and certainly not well argued. You're putting the cart before the horse. Maybe reflect on that.

tkscz

Net Neutrality: "So the FCC won't let me be or let me be me so let me see. They try to shut me down for several years you see, but it'll be so empty, without me"

It has been interesting to see how the_dobald reacts to this. Half of them seem to blindly support taking net neutrality down simply because they are brainwashed, and the other half are trying to think for themselves and realising it directly affects them and having an internal battle.

i-Lo

Ajit will vote yes, its over. Its suing time.

The vote is going to be 3-2 in favour of repeal. A bit OT but it was women (black specifically) that helped stave off an alleged pedo and a bigot from entering senate and today it's another two women who are fighting for net neutrality.

TheContact

if you're against net neutrality you're either

1) brain damaged
2) alt-right (also see #1)
3) a troll
4) getting bribed

there's literally no other explanation

tkscz

Unfortunately like in many other industries; Buying influence through lobbying, putting ISP people in charge of FCC. Like hiring a dingo when you need a babysitter.

That dingo never touched that baby

Why is lobbying even still legal? It's basically bribing people to create or bend laws into the favor of the rich.

pramod

Banned
Can someone explain this whole bruhaha to me? Is it just millenials wanting to be able to stream Netflix without having to pay for it?

gohepcat

Banned

uggg.

You don't automatically "WIN" an argument if you get called a name. You are not a five year old.

People are just exhausted with this pseudointellectual libertarian bullshit. We clawed through one hundred thousand years of savage jungle law to build an infrastructure to peacefully exist with 7 billion other people...only to hear some arrogant beneficiary of this sit back and tell me we need to start breaking down the scaffolding

tkscz

uggg.

You don't automatically "WIN" an argument if you get called a name. You are not a five year old.

People are just exhausted with this pseudointellectual libertarian bullshit. We clawed through one hundred thousand years of savage jungle law to build an infrastructure to peacefully exist with 7 billion other people...only to hear some arrogant beneficiary of this sit back and tell me we need to start breaking down the scaffolding

Lol what world are you living in where this is a thing? The most we have are agreements not to kill each other and even then we fail at keeping to those agreements.

Top Bottom