• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if this 4.5 malarkey is true, does that mean Sony lied? I certainly think it would paint them as disingenuous.

1) It's not true, according to filopilo.

2) It's probably not set in stone, so Sony can still come out and say whatever the hell they want.

3) The machine has 8 GB of RAM. Sony said the machine would have 8 GB of RAM.

Raymo

No. Save your money.

Egcowd8.jpg

Let me.ask a serious question...how come as soon as Sony releases a statement regarding this article...all of a sudden DF's sources miraculously have slightly different information that aligns more with what Sony is saying?

Their story hasn't changed.

Their original story stated that it would be 4.5gb available for developers w/ a extra 1gb of "flexible" memory potentially available for them bringing the total to 5.5gb. These EXACT numbers where also mentioned by a Sony insider here on this site.

They updated the story to say that of the 1gb of flex memory only 512mb is available for game development bringing the number down to 5gb.

Sony then comes out and confirms that their is indeed flexible memory in the system but that ALL of it is available to developers.

Again, at the end of the day their original story was 4.5gb - 5.5gb of ram available for developers at launch (the title of the original article even stated 5.5) and i haven't seen a single person say it's more than that. Outside of the one Sony insider who posted the same numbers as DF, we've only seen blanket "they're wrong" statements from other insiders with no actual numbers.

Zephyx

Personally, I really don't know what to believe as it has been such a roller coaster of a thread but what in my mind is this:

If Sony initially planned the PS4 to have 4GB of RAM, having an OS footprint of more than 1-1.5 GB would hurt them as it would only have around 2.5 to 3 GB available for games. It wouldn't be as powerful as it is now if it has that kind of memory so that may have led to the PS4 having 8GB instead.

Now, OS planning, design and development is not as simple as people think it is and developers have to bear in mind that they must maintain a memory cap/allotment when developing OS features. If they have initially 4 GB for the PS4, wouldn't that mean OS, planned with all the features they announced, is built with the initial memory cap they have?

Of course, over time, Sony has opted to use 8GB of system memory but I don't think features such as gameplay recording, multi-tasking, etc are just added later in the planning when they knew they secured that 8GB RAM. What they can do with the additional RAM they have is at least allocate more to the OS for future proofing which should be around 512MB-1GB as more would hurt them again in the games department.

I don't know when Sony opted for 8GB instead of 4GB so I could be wrong about all this but if they planned and developed the console for 5 years, they would have at least figured out what they want to do at the OS level at an early stage.

This is all speculation though but I think this is the most logical conclusion I can come up with.

We really should just wait and see how multiplats will turn out on both systems this fall.

Unless I'm reading the thread wrong, nothing has seemingly changed here that would disrupt the current view that PS4 should have the superior multiplat performance even if the amount of RAM available according to this seemingly false rumor were true.

Not only is this whole memory thing a rumor (and apparently may not even be true if filopilo is right, since he's still around after speaking to bish), but the PS4 still has the better RAM even if they were theoretically both at 5GB for games (plenty of knowledgeable people were pointing out how GDDR5 could have given the PS4 the edge even when we were talking the original 4GB of GDDR5 specs) and most importantly the PS4 still has a far superior graphics card.

Liamario

Banned
Whatever the OS ram allocation is now, it's only going to decrease as time goes by. Current titles aren't going to hit the current limitation for the near future. While I think we would all like to see more RAM dedicated to games, as long as the existing RAM is causing limitations in development; there's nothing to worry about.

DC1

Well I would call him junior GAF, but a) I'm a junior :( and b), I don't like lumping people together based simply on the date at which they signed up for something.

How about "crooked spin, you so crazy."

As stand..apologetic.
I am guilty for that which I accused.

From hence fourth let it be none that all ill logical or short sighted proclamation shall be referred to as "crazy GAF"

at least from my perspective. :)

This is only bad news if you are a console warrior (one fewer talking point). Non-partisan gamers around the world, however, can be heard collectively saying, "Meh."

Feindflug

End what? Nothing has happened other than GAF flipping a huge one.

End the speculation, gaf only or not DF/Eurogamer is still getting clicks and if all this is bollocks then it's even worse.

I laughed at MS for reserving 3gb of ram for the OS on Xbone and it will be the same here if this turns out true, in fact as SSX said in the other thread iirc this is a bad thing for anyone who wants the best games possible...plain and simple.

That being said if this turns out BS Sony could enjoy all this spotlight even if it's limited to some core gaming forums like gaf. :p

So they didn't lie, sure. Still, the XO was widely criticised for utilizing 3GB for its OS(to make use of superfluous features like Skype and streaming) while Sony positioned their approach as being almost entirely concerned with delivering the best pure gaming experience possible. I dunno, it kinda takes the wind out of their sails to find out their OS is gobbling up so much of those 8GB.

Every 4-5

You dont need a new GPU just to play games always at max 120 fps

Turning shadows to medium and shit helps and still looks overall better with the lowest settings on a console

To turn stuff down, I'd rather play on a console and not worry about any upgrades

The Last Of Us goes against the whole "better than in lowest settings thing"

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yes, we talked privately already. Take from that what you will.

Interesting....

Knowing Richard Leadbetter's history, wouldn't be surprised if he latched on to the first negative PS4 material he could find, whether it's true or not.

I understand why Sony's not giving out hard numbers though, it seems like every PS4 advantage they have put out in public, MS has just went and outright copied it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
This is only bad news if you are a console warrior (one fewer talking point). Non-partisan gamers around the world, however, can be heard collectively saying, "Meh."

I agree. I however am a console warrior as you put it, and still think, meh. As long as the games are good. I don't care what tech voodoo is behind it.

VanWinkle

Meh, hoped for some numbers. Sony loves bragging about them, but now silence? Meh again.

Could it be that they haven't decided on a definite amount yet?

Also, Sony loves bragging about number? Obviously they love bragging about good numbers. Everybody does. Do you think MS accidentally mentions how they are number one selling console in the US for the 30th time, or that they had 150% marketshare for a certain month over other consoles? Companies love when their numbers are better than others. Get over it.

KoopaTheCasual

UPDATE:

welp...

Hmm, that's certainly very interesting news. Yet another insider claiming DF's numbers or fudged or outdated. I'm just going to continue to believe we'll end up with 6GB dedicated to gaming and 2GB for all OS features. I also believe Sony has declined commenting on numbers, because they're simply not finalized yet, or they're hoping to reveal more OS features at Gamescom. Either way, I can't wait for Gamescom, because by then all Sony execs will be grilled for detailed numbers about the system, and we should have our clear answer by then.

This whole deal of Sony playing coy reminds me of the whole E3 DRM controversy. They could easily be waiting to make the most impact with their announcement. I mean, even MS wanted to sit on their good indie support news, until Gamescom. Doesn't seem out of the question that both companies are withholding more than just games to announce.

glenn8

Banned
Wont let sony go anywhere before the PS4 isnt more powerful than a PC.

I want a 17 meters tall titan, more than 64gb ram and a 16 core 20ghz ea cpu.

And OS shall only take 500mb. Rest for gaming. Games should be downsampled from 4k to monitor, SGSSAA always on max.

Only then I will re-preorder the ps4

Beowulf28

I kind of don't understand why this is a big deal, most of us on here aren't developers so its not really going to effect us unless you REALLY care about the how much RAM you can brag about in console war arguments.

nib95

Banned
This is wrong, that not how VRAM works.

VRAM Is allocated automatically depending on the GPU VRAM. A 660 will report almost 2GB of VRAM usage in the MSI afterburner at ultra settings, but a sli'd 2GB 560 Ti will still be able to run BF3 at ultra and outperform the 660 despit having only 1GB of VRAM.

3GB is enough for Crysis 3 even at 1600p and 8xMSAA btw:

That's because the sli configuration is pushing more performance. It's not wrong. You can test ram useage yourself now, by tweaking graphics settings in certain games ad watching useage change.

Also, think about what you posted. If Crisis 3 already uses 3gb at such settings, you honestly think future next gen games won't max out what they're given? Naive to think otherwise imo.

My theory (not an insider, mind you):

Remember how everyone thought Sony was gonna follow Microsoft down the DRM and always online rabbit hole? And how the silence coming from Sony's camp was almost deafening? It seemed to confirm all our worst fears.

Then E3 came. And they blew our fucking faces off.

I'm guessing the reason they're not giving details is because they're going to address it at Gamescom, either onstage or shortly thereafter in interviews. And they'll say either there's more than just 4.5-5.5GB for devs, or they'll say they've upped the total system RAM (highly unlikely, I know).

#Believe

This whole deal of Sony playing coy reminds me of the whole E3 DRM controversy. They could easily be waiting to make the most impact with their announcement. I mean, even MS wanted to sit on their good indie support news, until Gamescom. Doesn't seem out of the question that both companies are withholding more than just games to announce.

Bingo.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
This is wrong, that not how VRAM works.

VRAM Is allocated automatically depending on the GPU VRAM. A 660 will report almost 2GB of VRAM usage in the MSI afterburner at ultra settings, but a sli'd 2GB 560 Ti will still be able to run BF3 at ultra and outperform the 660 despit having only 1GB of VRAM.

3GB is enough for Crysis 3 even at 1600p and 8xMSAA btw:

why are you both only talking about VRAM? PS4 doesn't have a split pool. what's crysis 3's system RAM usage on top of that? i'm pretty sure a fully modded skyrim breaks through 5GBs of combined system+video RAM.

not that it really makes for a great direct comparison given that PC devs assume that PC gamers are swimming in system RAM and probably don't break their necks optimising it. there's probably a load of overlap too.

My theory (not an insider, mind you):

Remember how everyone thought Sony was gonna follow Microsoft down the DRM and always online rabbit hole? And how the silence coming from Sony's camp was almost deafening? It seemed to confirm all our worst fears.

Then E3 came. And they blew our fucking faces off.

I'm guessing the reason they're not giving details is because they're going to address it at Gamescom, either onstage or shortly thereafter in interviews. And they'll say either there's more than just 4.5-5.5GB for devs, or they'll say they've upped the total system RAM (highly unlikely, I know).

#Believe

I'm hoping for a Gamescom "6 GB to developers, guys" statement that puts these fears to rest.

SCEI has been great at positively responding to gamer concerns so far...I see no reason why they wouldn't continue that sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom