• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast786

seriously, get a PC sheesh.

I like the OS stuff. I love watching netflix on my consoles, all these extra bells and whistles that they can think up with is going to be awesome.

Sheesh, I already have a smart tv.

Beast:

You assumed the PS4 had 7 GB of RAM available to gameOS. It was never official, just a number people wanted to throw around. C'mon mang :/.

Cause, for the 1 millionth time, it was NEVER confirmed to be 7GB, just some rumour that you, me and many many other believed was official.

Not SONY's fault, it's ours for believing something that wasn't official.

I never said its anyone fault. just disappointed from the expectation we created. Like I have said, I am buying ps4 day one. Still very hype

prwxv3

You are ignoring the best argument:

fat-nerd-with-glasses_full.jpeg

"Since the PS4 does not give developer's all 8 GB of GDDR5 for games, it is not a true games machine. PS4 is really a faux media device parading itself as a gaming platform."

The ignorance on display when third parties are perfectly happy with the RAM given, first parties have yet to ask for any more, and when engineers went out of their way to insure an optimal development environment.

It's pretty obvious that the ps4 was designed as a game machine. They chose GDDR5 over DDR3 when at the time there was no way to get 8 gigs of the former in the ps4.

He also told us that Final Fantasy 15 was exclusive to the Playstation 4 and that Kingdom Hearts 3 would be following suit since Sony was in talks to nab it up as well.

And DF also told us that it was 7 Minutes not 15. Everyone gets it wrong one or few times. However if their right overshadows their wrong...How can that person not be trusted?

I don't know who this guy is tbh, and I don't take what he says as truth until I hear it from Sony themselves, but if he is pretty credible for even more things that were confirmed over time...how could one wrong calculation mean he is not credible at all?

6 or 8 cylinders who cares!

Now wait a minute... The difference between a 6 cylinder and an 8 cylinder car engine is much more profound on the performance of the vehicle than the difference between 6GB and 8GB of ram in the system.

And as far as the overall system power, the only difference is that Xbone has a somewhat slower graphics card.

Madness

So in all honesty now, if it's 4.5 gb or 5 gb GDDR5, how does it compare to 5gb DDR3 and 32 mb eSRAM? Obviously the memory in the ps4 is better, but with the fact it's now 5gb or less as opposed to 7gb we all originally thought, how will that translate to multiplatform and ports? Will this equalize the consoles even more somewhat?

He also told us that Final Fantasy 15 was exclusive to the Playstation 4 and that Kingdom Hearts 3 would be following suit since Sony was in talks to nab it up as well.

that def discredited vgleaks and anyone who corroborated that in my eyes. things change, but not long term exclusives right before e3.

So in all honesty now, if it's 4.5 gb or 5 gb GDDR5, how does it compare to 5gb DDR3 and 32 mb eSRAM? Obviously the memory in the ps4 is better, but with the fact it's now 5gb or less as opposed to 7gb we all originally thought, how will that translate to multiplatform and ports? Will this equalize the consoles even more somewhat?
Still a gpu difference.

Shin

Banned
Wait till the start talking about GPU reservation.Then the flood will be Noe-ous.

Speaking of GPU I would have loved if they went with a 7950 and a CPU running at 2.0GHz, on that note I'm slightly disappointed.
We have a handful of games running at 1080p/30 right out of the gate, something that shouldn't have happen.

Anyway on-topic: if it's 6 for games and 2 for OS (including reservation) that seems ideal to me. Using my smartphone (yeah I know dumb comparison) with 2GB of RAM @ 1.5GHz everything feels snappy (Nexus 4).
Then again different people want different stuff, so it's good to have enough reserved than to come short in the future (see PS3).

chris0701

And DF also told us that it was 7 Minutes not 15. Everyone gets it wrong one or few times. However if their right overshadows their wrong...How can that person not be trusted?

I don't know who this guy is tbh, and I don't take what he says as truth until I hear it from Sony themselves, but if he is pretty credible for even more things that were confirmed over time...how could one wrong calculation mean he is not credible at all?

The DF analysis report on PS3 games,their interview with Sony first party developers, were the most awesome and comprehensive technology columns which easily made us know how outstanding Sony first party studio was.

PS4 has 6 GB for games. Nice try buddy. Go call someone else a shill.

You seem way too emotionally invested in a plastic box full of wires man. All I'm saying is that the article mentions that they're getting their information directly from Sony official documentation. Between that and Shinobi confirming the 3.5 OS / 4.5 addressable ram setup yesterday it seems that it was confirmed. It doesn't matter in practicality, 4.5 is still a ton of ram and it's on par with the Xbox. Games will look great on both systems.

Samyy

And they still have a big stock share in Square, right?.Indeed that has never paid in influence(and even less in profits).

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, your not beholden to your stockholders in that fashion.

SE going exclusive would hurt the stuck - lose Sony money in that regard. Also you can't just play nice to a minority stakeholder when you've got a whole bunch of others to deal with.

Just because they own shares in them doesn't mean they can go around asking them to give them exclusive games buddy, they are different organizations. If they had a majority stake then they would have control over things like that!

Good lord. This is even worse than I imagined.

What happened to the original 5.5GB?

Where are all them gigabytes going?

How can the OS demand so many gigabytes?

Whoa, I missed the original thread after the reveal... PS4 is also going to have a giant OS? I mean, Xbox One has a reason at least - 3 OSes. This is wild, 4.5GB GDDR5?

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Instigator, even if the RAM on PS4 + Xbox One is equal in number, the quality and bandwith advantage of GDDR5 smokes DDR3. On top of that, PS4 has a 50 % more powerful GPU and allowing developers to code to metal.

instagatarpls.

So that means you aren't sure about PS4 having 6GB for games?

Palm

Banned
PS4 has 6 GB for games. Nice try buddy. Go call someone else a shill.

Where does 6GB come from?

4,5GB + 512MB flex RAM = 5GB for gaming. Maybe.

Add another 512MB in swap file fashion. Would not count this since the use of SWAP on HDD is useless.

And MS could add a SWAP also. No world on the 3GB setup on Xbone.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So we're on 6GB now from?
Is that 5GB with 1GBflex, or 5.5 with 0.5flex or just a straight 6GB with the possibility of flexible on top, I imagine Sony wouldn't have commented on the different types if there wasn't the flexible ram in that number somewhere.

Still, seems like typical Digital Foundry taking unconfirmed information and sprouting it off as fact.

Omerta

Hey: I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about so I'm not going to comment on this.

I wish similar minded folk would follow suit.

Chumpion

Where is the 6gb number coming from? That is s logical number for Sony to target given they can only access 5.86gb per second with a 30fps game given the consoles current bandwidth.

It has nothing to do with that. That's not how games access memory.

Some of the rumors could be reconciled if it was actually 6 GB direct + 1 GB flexible. So... can we move the consensus up to 7 GB now? Please?

7 GB going once... going twice... do I hear 7.5 GB? Anyone? Seven-geebee-now-five-woulda-bidda-five-who-bidda-five-anywhere?

Add another 512MB in swap file fashion. Would not count this since the use of SWAP on HDD is useless.

Where does 4.5+512 come from? Who is DF getting this info from? I want some answers. I want justice.

synce

Disappointing but it's GDDR5... do PS4 games really need more than 5GB of it? The GPU is nothing impressive.

From developers publicly saying the article is ridiculous and false. I'll believe public source instead of unnamed ones.

It's funny how DF waits and posts these tech rumour articles on a Friday, sits back, and waits for the shit storm to develop over the weekend.

iirc the Xbone 'EDRAM memory boost' rumour article was published on a Friday for maximum effect too.

I think at this point Richard Leadbetter knows how volatile and how numerous Sony fans are, so publishing stuff like the above is a sure-fire way of getting hits. You can't blame the guy, or whoever dictates DF's editorial policy I suppose.

Another one was the tech-analysis of an incomplete PS4 Watchdogs demo which was baited out there a week or so back, although that one didn't get the traction desired.

Shin

Banned
On top of that, PS4 has a 50 % more powerful GPU and is allowing developers to code to metal.

Except we might not see it being used on multi-platform titles at all, this industry is about making a quick buck instead of pouring love into your creation (PS1/PS2 days felt like that to me).
Just my opinion, but again we'll have to wait and see.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Can you not read just a couple of words before that where he says "even if"?

I know. But we already know about that. Point is DF is pretty sure about this RAM distribution, and if he is saying it is 6GB for games and is contradicting DF then he must be pretty sure about it.

All this memory fiasco has proven, is that there was literally nothing Nintendo could have done to win the core gamer over.

In my opinion everything right now is just a gut reaction. Or at least the majority of the comments are gut reactions. When these systems come out and they look great, the issue will die down. The thing is though, right now we're going through growing pains. Its better to go through this, than to just not care. At least this way we get stuff that is far and above what we had. Even if we have to make sacrifices and have these conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom