• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes March 10th

Abdiel

Ps4 continues to remain our highest home console sold. The gap between the two is hard to tell in some stores, but in general, there's a clear showing that the Ps4 remains firmly in first for the month. I'm honestly most interested to how the free Pstv promo works out as final numbers, because... so few customers have a Damn clue of what the pstv is, but it's so useful, at least for me. I tell anyone that will listen, haha.

New 3Ds selling great, to the point that our only current way to get one was through limited quantities from our website for shipping. So whether that is universally awesome numbers, or stupid on Nintendo's part for not sending enough hardware... or somewhere in between.

Order sold decently, though I do hope it does well enough for a sequel, personally. Evolve didn't do so hot for most stores, and a lot of customers seem... wary or uncertain of what to expect from the game. The advertising doesn't seem to have done much, and I didn't hear of much of a blitz as far as that goes. Majora selling great, too.

Chobel

Thanks The Shogun and abdiel for your insights! Really happy that Dying light is selling well, the game is not perfect but it has great and refreshing gameplay and I'm glad the devs are rewarded for it.

Also, thank you Aqua for the awesome and informative OP!

Javin98

Banned
About a week. PS4 was winning solidly until then, which is what may throw off Amazon's numbers from a more accurate national picture by month's end.
This deal has been on for a week? This explains why the XBO has been slightly ahead of the PS4 in the hourly charts for a few days now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It did.

Damn good deal

Also yep Abdiel I agree with everything you wrote. Sounds like both our companies seeing similar results.

Dragon week 1 > old school knights week 1

I know it's just Gamestop, but wut...is Ghost Nappa really better than Lycans?

Abdiel

I know it's just Gamestop, but wut...is Ghost Nappa really better than Lycans?

I think people underestimate the appeal of Dragonball Z. There are people who don't give a damn about anime or anime genres, etc. that love the shit out of DBZ.

Xeno has sold pretty decently across all of its release platforms, because that audience just enjoys flying around, blowing shit up, and seeing the classic villans and heroes. This one, with the create your own character, appeals to all those people who like the show but want to see their perfect hero involved, haha.

I don't know if the PS4 SKU beat The Order, but considering the wide fanbase, it wouldn't surprise me, honestly.

Rymuth

Xeno has sold pretty decently across all of its release platforms, because that audience just enjoys flying around, blowing shit up, and seeing the classic villans and heroes. This one, with the create your own character, appeals to all those people who like the show but want to see their perfect hero involved, haha.
Haha, cheers again, Abdiel.

It's a definite improvement over Battle of Z. Gj, Dimps.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Haha, cheers again, Abdiel.

It's a definite improvement over Battle of Z. Gj, Dimps.

Meh. People will buy anything with the logo on it. Its unfortunate that the Dimps Budokai team has been upgraded to the Street Fighter 4/5 team indefinitely for Capcom, i think those games would have deserved to see this success.

Thanks for the impressions Abdiel

Wii U had one game release ALL MONTH? Sheesh...

Even last gen consoles had more. Lol.

Fortunately for Nintendo, they are going to have a great opportunity for PR with the 3ds surely taking the top spot for the month.

Here's a picture of the Wii U game section at a local USA Best Buy:

Sci5mkA.jpg

It's looking quite pitiful lately. That same Best Buy had a much more complete Wii U section back in early 2013.

Not as bad as the Vita section:

2W6rsC8.jpg

...but still.

On Demand

Banned
That Amazon X1 firesale makes things a bit more difficult to predict this month. Who would have expected a better deal in mid Feb than those found on Black Friday

That deal happened on the 22nd, the last week of February and only at Amazon. Not enough to change things.

Thinking The Order might have the highest month 1 to month 2 sales decay rate in history. Can't believe people are complaining about game length. I'm only on chapter 6 and the game feels like I've been playing it for days. It's soooo boooooooring.

jjonez18

[3DS] 325k
[PS4] 275k
[WIU] 65k
[XB1] 200k

Edit: Adjusted PS4 higher due to Sony announcing 20.2m. Guessing they had a good February in the NA well as the rest of the world.

Welfare

Thinking The Order might have the highest month 1 to month 2 sales decay rate in history. Can't believe people are complaining about game length. I'm only on chapter 6 and the game feels like I've been playing it for days. It's soooo boooooooring.

Who's the current holder of that record?

It's gonna drop hard yeah. Already has since its first week.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It's gonna drop hard yeah. Already has since its first week.

Yeah, it's already 56th on Amazon.com, and it released 9 days ago. A quick drop. Still, probably the record for the fastest drop on Amazon.com is Evolve, that was already out of top 100 with both SKUs in less than one week after the release.

Brew124

[3DS] 330K
[PS4] 390K
[WIU] 61K
[XB1] 215K

EDIT: Increasing PS4 numbers due to Sony's announcement that PS4 has sold through more than 20 million worldwide.

I'll admit, I complained about the games length before release, but after playing it I was very happy when it was over because I didn't want to play anymore

Javin98

Banned
*sigh* I really wanted the game to do better commercially and critically. I have yet to play it myself but the generally mediocre reception is definitely not helping. Hoping RaD does better next time around.

*sigh* I really wanted the game to do better commercially and critically. I have yet to play it myself but the generally mediocre reception is definitely not helping. Hoping RaD does better next time around.

Yeah not sure whether or not Sony will green light a sequel

So people expects PS4/XB1 to be down yoy this month too? Guess it was obvious from all the deals and bundling retailers been doing but still pretty disappointing.

Order sold decently, though I do hope it does well enough for a sequel, personally.

In the same boat as you with this one. I enjoyed the game and the universe and back story alone is set up perfectly for various entries in the franchise. Happy to hear it sold decently, and hoping monthly totals across the globe is enough for a greenlight on either extended DLC or just a flat out sequel. Andrea gave an indication that they were working on the "future" so I'm not sure if its order sequel or another title altogether.

If its not too much h trouble, would your "decent" be attributed to a particular number threshold that you can share?

My numbers:

[PS4] 265K
[XB1] 200K
[3DS] 310K
[WIU] 55K

Top Bottom