• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Bronx-Man

Banned
Back around when Big E debuted and the Shield was still around, Big E vs Roman could've been a big money match with the right amount of hype.

Syder

So, Rollins is just going to be one of those guys that misses 4 months of every year because his ACL is made of wet tissue paper now?

Fuck.

Other than Cena.

Is their merch still selling like hotcakes? I know The New Day is stale to most of us here, but I have don't really have a good sense of what their appeal is like currently to the average audience.
I assume they still bring in a lot of money. There always seems to be a lot of people in the crowds at shows wearing their merch.

Sephzilla

Angle was never a comedy act. He was a wholesome heel in a world of cool faces.

qHM7SMt.gif

Mahonay

Banned
No, you just have a very generous idea of 'comedy gimmick' if you think Kurt Angle was ever one of those.

spoiler: You don't put the world title on a comedy gimmick
HHH was pretty certain he was a little comedy jobber bitch.

Angle was not comedy first, but it was a HUGE part of his character.

Anth0ny

i'm pretty sure sexual chocolate was a comedy gimmick too

then mark henry decided to kick ass and split wigs and he became a god

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
HHH was pretty certain he was a little comedy jobber bitch.

Angle was not comedy first, but it was a HUGE part of his character.

Unintentional comedy was a huge part of his character but he was never a comedy gimmick. He went from wholesome heel to what AJ is now which is guy who usually looks like an awkward loser out of the ring but always excels in the ring.

I can see what Data is talking about. AJ Styles is a top guy yet 90% of his onscreen time is comedy stuff because he's good at comedy.

Not as good at it as Angle, but still.

So, Rollins is just going to be one of those guys that misses 4 months of every year because his ACL is made of wet tissue paper now?

Fuck.

It was widely assumed that because of how early he came back last time a re-injury would occur eventually

If you come back too soon, it turns out it's not going to be fully healed. There's no benefit from rushing stuff back. Ask KENTA how not taking proper time off from injuries works out, every part of his body is currently fucked

Sephzilla

It was widely assumed that because of how early he came back last time a re-injury would occur eventually

If you come back too soon, it turns out it's not going to be fully healed. There's no benefit from rushing stuff back. Ask KENTA how not taking proper time off from injuries works out, every part of his body is currently fucked

And this is why Punk was pissed when Vince tried to talk him into coming back too soon

I have to agree with Dato. Shawn isn't a comedy act just cause of all the stupid DX shit.

Well, to be fair, I never viewed DX as a comedy gimmick. Both in my young teen years and now in my adult life.

Teen me - "oh this shit is fucking cool"

Adult me - "what are these tryhard fuckwads doing?"

Foggy

As it stands, Charlotte is definitely the best wrestler in the company. It certainly helps that Becky and Asuka have to wrestle with boulders tied to their ankles.

Anth0ny

Doctor of Thuganomics was supposed to be a one off for John Cena who played the try hard white rapper character on a halloween episode of smackdown

then it stuck

if that's not a comedy gimmick I don't know what is

Sephzilla

Mick Foley pretty much ran the gambit of wrestling personas.

Serious wrestler [Cactus Jack, Mankind]
Creepy gimmick [Mankind]
Comedy gimmick [Dude Love, corporate suckup Mankind]
Just plain funny person [Commissioner Foley]

Doctor of Thuganomics was supposed to be a one off for John Cena who played the try hard white rapper character on a halloween episode of smackdown

then it stuck

if that's not a comedy gimmick I don't know what is
Doesn't the story go that Cena was about to get fired but Stephanie heard him rapping on the WWE bus and wanted to turn it into a gimmick? Or something along those lines?

Kaladin

Mick Foley pretty much ran the gambit of wrestling personas.

Serious wrestler [Cactus Jack, Mankind]
Creepy gimmick [Mankind]
Comedy gimmick [Dude Love, corporate suckup Mankind]
Just plain funny person [Commissioner Foley]

Pretty much why he's solid in my all time Fave Five.

Top Bottom