• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FedEx lost my vintage games

BlacKMaRK

Banned
Mejilan said:
Irk. This is not a happy story. Make it happy, some one! :(

its possible that the shipping label came off the box and its still at the fed ex hub waiting for its owner to be found:D

Husker86 said:
$100 is what the package was valued at by the customer (it's the default value, but still). How is FedEX responsible for reimbursing him for more than what the package was valued at? If your package's contents are worth $1,000 then you tell the shipping company you want it insured for $1,000.......

They also normally ask you how much you want to insure your package for "in case it gets lost or stolen in the mail". That's too much of your life not to put a higher value for it

Struct09

That would be my worst nightmare come true.

I had a moving company help me relocate across the country, but I still brought all my classic games in my car with me. I don't trust those in the hands of anyone except myself.

theultimo

Man, that sucks..maybe fedex employees "lost" it?

Its also too bad that SA1 is missing, all you would have needed to do is Play the opening, it'll be alright :D

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
That really sucks, sorry to hear about your loss(es).

A little known fact about UPS and FedEx. If you are truly concerned about your package not being lost or broken during shipping, ship overnight. They treat overnight deliveries like gold pressed latinum. Losing or damaging one of those usually results in people getting fired. Everything else just gets thrown around like luggage at an airport.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Always insure for the full amount of your shipment. I believe UPS charges around .50cents per $100 dollars of coverage, so it would have only cost you about $5 extra, I'm sure FedEx has a similar fee. Take it from someone who has worked for both companies, ALWAYS INSURE YOUR PACKAGE!!!!!!

pje122

So I have a question... (not sure if this has been posted)

Is it possible then to try to scam the company by mailing items that are very low in value but buying a large amount of insurance in hopes that the package does get lost? I'm just sort of wondering how FedEx and UPS prevent such a scenario.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
pje122 said:

Is it possible then to try to scam the company by mailing items that are very low in value but buying a large amount of insurance in hopes that the package does get lost? I'm just sort of wondering how FedEx and UPS prevent such a scenario.

In order to collect your funds, you have to provide UPS or FedEx wih an invoice, receipt or official appraisal that states the items worth. Sending a box of lent insured for $700 bucks isn't going to work if you don't have proper documentation. However, you could send a box of lent, say its something else you do have the receipt for and in the event it gets lost, provide that receipt for proof of value.

Sorry for your loss. As long as you learned from this experience then it isn't a total loss. Best wishes in the future.

The Dark One

pje122

truly101 said:
In order to collect your funds, you have to provide UPS or FedEx wih an invoice, receipt or official appraisal that states the items worth. Sending a box of lent insured for $700 bucks isn't going to work if you don't have proper documentation. However, you could send a box of lent, say its something else you do have the receipt for and in the event it gets lost, provide that receipt for proof of value.

You couldn't just say your lent (whatever that is) has an extremely high degree of sentimental value?

truly101 said:

What about stuff with sentimental value then, or things where their value does depreciate?

For example, if I buy a game for £40 today and it gets lost 5 years later I still class it as being worth £40 even though in a shop today it might go for £5 second hand. Also, I don't have a receipt for it so I can't prove what was in the box that was insured for £40. How would I claim for this?

pje122

wackojackosnose said:
What about stuff with sentimental value then, or things where their value does depreciate?

For example, if I buy a game for £40 today and it gets lost 5 years later I still class it as being worth £40 even though in a shop today it might go for £5 second hand. Also, I don't have a receipt for it so I can't prove what was in the box that was insured for £40. How would I claim for this?

Mr. Petrie just cleared that up for us:

"Sentimental value means little to nothing in the real world."

pje122 said:
Mr. Petrie just cleared that up for us:

"Sentimental value means little to nothing in the real world."

So that even factors in depreciation? Things that are out of print or one of a kind?

If so then that's complete bullshit and I will never send any of my crap through any of these services.

And what, I even have to get it appraised just in case nimrods lose my stuff.

Bollocks to them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
truly101 said:
this is true. However you don't really need it appraised on the spot. You can also take detailed pictures of the contents and have it appraised after the fact.

I have actually filed a few claims with FedEx and believe it or not, about the only thing I have to say about them is that they AREN'T helpful. Beyond that though, I think the only claim they never fulfilled was a customer who was sketchy at best (he called a week after it was delivered AND we include tracking URLs all of our emails and directly on the site yet he never bothered to go to the tracking site to see where it was??) Otherwise they have filled all loss or damage claims I've submitted to them (with adequate proof of course).

wackojackosnose said:
So that even factors in depreciation? Things that are out of print or one of a kind?
An appraisal is valid. Out of print and unique are not the same as "I REALLY loved that copy of SMRPG!!! I'd say my love is worth $300." If you were to go to an adjuster they would appraise it at exactly what it would cost for you to get another one back in the same condition. Same thing as insurance. This does count for UPS and FedEx claims as long as the adjuster is accredited.

dogbowl

Cheese-

I've got some doubles of those games. Not many, but off the top of my head I've got a spare SNES LttP and NES SMB3.

Be glad to ship them to you. Maybe you could cover the shipping $?

edit: I once shipped a bunch of boxed Game&Watches from Tokyo back to the states. I didn't sleep good for a number of days until they arrived.....

linsivvi

Somewhere out there, a lucky bastard is celebrating when FedEx accidentally delivered your box of vintage games to his house.

Cheesemeister said:
They're just some random clerks at a FedEx Kinko's. Maybe one of them didn't like me and felt like robbing me.
Unless they just didn't enter the info correctly, then its not their fault (sorry gotta defend my fellow FedEx Office coworkers :)).

Did you ship them all on one airbill or each have their own separate one? If you did them all on one and most arrived then at least they entered the info right and it would be the fault of the other division. It could be a few different places that messed up from the driver picking it up from the store, to the station, the airport at either end (unless you sent it via ground), or the station on the receiving end.

And ya, the company will pay you back whatever you put as the declared value (not the same as insurance). They won't pay you back for something's value for what it would be at auction, or to a collector. They pay back for what the retail price is/was if you have a receipt for a recently purchased item for stuff over $100.

borghe said:
this is true. However you don't really need it appraised on the spot. You can also take detailed pictures of the contents and have it appraised after the fact.

Thanks for the clarification, it's good to know that I need to start taking pictures of the crap I send out.

later said:
You stupid motherfucker.

You got a laugh from me, and the person that was reading over my shoulder...........:lol :lol :lol

This reminds me of the Fresh Prince episode where Carlton doesn't get insurance on the car and he ends up wrecking it....:lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Cheesemeister said:
Believe me, upset doesn't begin to describe it, especially given that list.

What should I do, sue? I'm told attorneys require a $3000 retainer or some such nonsense. It's also particularly difficult to do from Japan.

They're just some random clerks at a FedEx Kinko's. Maybe one of them didn't like me and felt like robbing me.

1. You told them it was only worth $100.
2. They lost it, so they gave you exactly what you said it was worth.

What the hell would you sue for? On what grounds?
later said:
You stupid motherfucker.
Can't be quoted enough.

mm04

That blows, but yeah, you shouldn't under-declare the value of anything you ship to save a few bucks. Would you have done the same had you been shipping an antique that was purchased for $5 many years ago but is now worth $500? Probably not.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cheesemeister: damn, that gotta suck big time, i'm sorry to hear this! :( I hope there is some chance that the package comes up later on sometime and that the package is not lost forever (unless someone stole it, but i hope that is not the case! :().

undrtakr900

Sucks next time put the value price a little higher than the actual worth(what I do) so at least you get a little something out of it if they loose it. Also remember if you looked up the ebay prices don't forget to add like $5 or so for shipping cost for ech game on top of the final bids you saw.

Owensboro

Duuuuuuude. Freaking ouch.

I've got an extra copy of Startropics (no manual, hence why I had to purchase a second copy) if you want it. You just gotta pay shipping from Atlanta, Ga.

Madsucktion said:
Freaking ouch.

rob_yescombe_body_180x240.jpg

Mega Ouch!

Slavik81

pje122 said:

I'm not sure you understand how insurance works. Buying insurance is like playing the lottery. Each person chips in their money and part of that pot of money is given to a single lucky (or unlucky) person.

Trying to scam them by buying insurance and hoping your package gets lost makes about as much sense as trying to 'scam' the lottery company by buying a ticket. You're basically guaranteed to lose money... particularly if you're paying shipping fees on top of the insurance.

Simply put, the odds of your package getting lost are so low that by the time they lose one, you'll probably have paid more for the insurance than you'll receive back.

Zertez

Most shipping companies require you to provide some type of proof on the lost goods. A receipt, picture etc. On things under 150 dollars, they usually dont care, but things over 500 they usually make you provide some type of evidence to back up your claim.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Zertez said:
Most shipping companies require you to provide some type of proof on the lost goods. A receipt, picture etc. On things under 150 dollars, they usually dont care, but things over 500 they usually make you provide some type of evidence to back up your claim.
What about between 150 and 500? :D

Top Bottom