• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FedEx lost my vintage games

knee

paralysis by analysis.

If you're worried about theft, you should've valued it over the real value... or right at the max insurance value.

that way if it's stolen, you'd at least make bank out of the deal.

I love my NES collection and would never sell it off but if something like this happened or I was robbed, I probably wouldn't replace them. It would take too long and be a PITA. The only reason I ended up with such a large collection in the first place was that I just picked them up here and there at flea markets and such over time.

jvm

Gamasutra.
For anyone who knows the value of Atari 5200 games, this is the only trace I have found of a post I remembered from USENET back in the 1990s (just looked, 1996). Keita, one of the guys behind Atari HQ (atarihq.com, not sure it's still there) and the Jaguar Interactive message board had moved and the movers apparently took a box which had some of his rarer games.

As I was unpacking my stuff from the move from Bayside to Harrison, New York (Westchester County), I noticed that I was missing a big box...

My wife and I used the services of a moving company so its quite obvious that they were after the tools, if they in fact DID steal the box. I will call them first thing tomorrow to inquire about the lost box.

-------
The Last Starfighter
Meteorites
Masterplay Interface
The Last Starfighter, as you may know, was an unreleased prototype. I think Keita lost more than that, but I can't find the full post. Seems like he had something like an NTSC Motorodeo (Atari 2600) in there. (That's really crazy rare crap, fwiw.)

I used to work for Fedex, and let me tell you: you screwed yourself by not insuring your package.

Sorry, it's kind of your fault.

Sure things happen and that sucks, and it really sucks you lost your games (I feel for you), but damn dude: why didn't you insure it?!?!?!?!?!

Himuro said:
Can't you like sue?

Since he didn't declare value over a $100, he can't do anything.

Really, really lame.

phez said:
why again did you only declare $100?

I'm wondering that too...

Did you pack it yourself OP? Because at over $500 they have to check your package and sometimes you have to pay them to re-pack it with their materials, kind of stupid.

Also, depending on what it is, there are caps to declared value so he may not have actually been able to go that high, plus if he was moving across countries, the customs values would have been astronomically high.

Though I'm still very concerned that you would trust customs with an undeclared value package with such rare and wonderful items inside.

Hope it all works out for you :(

Broktune

Banned
I just jumped in here so it may have been said....

Did you cash the check? If you did....you're fucked.

If you didn't, well, you could take them to small claims court. Not sure about Fed ex, but Kinko's possibly. Tell it to the judge. Hopefully you have an inventory of what was in the boxes and bring numerous receipts from different shops to replace those items.

Not the same, but, I broke up with a girl and she grabbed a whole bunch of my shit when she moved out of my house. I took her to small claims and had nothing but receipts. I was awarded about 3 grand for my missing shit.

Give it a shot....IF YOU DIDN'T CASH THE CHECK.

nbraun80

Z_Y said:
All I see is the fucking arrow!

Fuck!

For you, enjoy...

FedEx_arrow.gif

dogbowl said:
Cheese-

I've got some doubles of those games. Not many, but off the top of my head I've got a spare SNES LttP and NES SMB3.

Be glad to ship them to you. Maybe you could cover the shipping $?

Madsucktion said:
Duuuuuuude. Freaking ouch.

I've got an extra copy of Startropics (no manual, hence why I had to purchase a second copy) if you want it. You just gotta pay shipping from Atlanta, Ga.

These guys are awesome for helping a guy out. FaithInHumanity++;

Just to clarify, I didn't ship stuff to Japan, just across country to my dad's house. Moving things over here will require filling luggage on several trips. If, for example, I have to go back to wait on visa paperwork, I'll bring my desktop and PS3 back with me then. I'll probably have my family bring stuff when they come to visit next summer.

CoilShot

This is why I only use UPS and DHL Express(I rarely use them but sometimes have to). When they ask about declared value on Insurance I always price it myself because their estimates are way off.

kazuo

Cheesemeister said:
It's just very frustrating, as the clerks never explain what happens in the event of loss. I'd imagine it's bad for their business.

Uh, are you retarded? Seriously, shit like what happened to you is WHY THEY OFFER INSURANCE.

Darwin Award candidate?

later said:
You stupid motherfucker.

Harsh, but true. It's your own fault and FedEx owes you zip, zero nada.

Next time insure your shit for what it is worth. I'm sure the extra $2.50 it would have cost to do so is far less than what it is going to cost you to replace all that stuff.

It sucks that your shit vanished, but it's on you for not insuring it for what it was really worth. I hope you learn from this.

kazuo

Stumpokapow said:
Unless he needs his vintage games to breathe or breed, no? Duh?

In this instance, "Darwin Award" refers to the candidates for said award exhibiting astoundingly poor (read: stupid) judgment.

fanboi

Banned
kazuo said:
Uh, are you retarded? Seriously, shit like what happened to you is WHY THEY OFFER INSURANCE.

Darwin Award candidate?

Harsh, but true. It's your own fault and FedEx owes you zip, zero nada.

Next time insure your shit for what it is worth. I'm sure the extra $2.50 it would have cost to do so is far less than what it is going to cost you to replace all that stuff.

It sucks that your shit vanished, but it's on you for not insuring it for what it was really worth. I hope you learn from this.

And insurance is very cheap also :|

fanboi said:
And insurance is very cheap also :|

Compared to losing over a grand?

Actually to be honest international insurance, or "declared value" (Fucking FEDEX terms are so lame), anyhow, international "value" can jump a 2 pound package from 100$ to $600, I've seen it happen far too often.

It's no surprise that people don't insure, it's just their own fault if something happens.

To be honest, if that was my shit, considering how many rare games OP had (FF3, Super Metroid, etc), I would have taken that as a carry on.

fanboi

Banned
permutated said:

Actually to be honest international insurance, or "declared value" (Fucking FEDEX terms are so lame), anyhow, international "value" can jump a 2 pound package from 100$ to $600, I've seen it happen far too often.

It's no surprise that people don't insure, it's just their own fault if something happens.

To be honest, if that was my shit, considering how many rare games OP had (FF3, Super Metroid, etc), I would have taken that as a carry on.

Ehe... insurancecost is based upon how much you value your package.
Ex (DHL way to go here): My package is valued 10 000 $ I then pay 1% of the value of the cargo.

kazuo said:
Just to be clear, FedEx does NOT offer insurance. Insurance you have to get from an outside company. There is a big difference between insurance and declared value.

Also, you can try to sue FedEx, but it won't get you anywhere. And FedEx Office (used to be called Kinkos) is named that way because it is owned by FedEx. You want to sue one division, you get the whole company.

fanboi

Banned
Robert-GCA said:
FedEx does NOT offer insurance. Insurance you have to get from an outside company. There is a big difference between insurance and declared value.

Also, you can try to sue FedEx, but it won't get you anywhere. And FedEx Office (used to be called Kinkos) is named that way because it is owned by FedEx. You want to sue one division, you get the whole company.

Yep.

Declered value is something for the customs. Which you then pay VAT for (If I remeber correctley)

fanboi said:
Yep.

Declered value is something for the customs. Which you then pay VAT for (If I remeber correctley)
It doesn't even have anything to do with customs and international shipping. Even if you are shipping something domestically it is there in case something like this happens. If you are shipping one package for $300, you will pay a few dollars more (since up to $100 in declard value is free), but you will get the full retail value back.

Unfortunately even if you put a value of say $3000 on a package because of being a collectible or something similar, but the retail value is only $1000, you would only get back the $1k provided you could show proof of paying that much. This is where insurance from an outside company comes in.

fanboi

Banned
Robert-GCA said:
It doesn't even have anything to do with customs and international shipping. Even if you are shipping something domestically it is there in case something like this happens. If you are shipping one package for $300, you will pay a few dollars more (since up to $100 in declard value is free), but you will get the full retail value back.

Unfortunately even if you put a value of say $3000 on a package because of being a collectible or something similar, but the retail value is only $1000, you would only get back the $1k provided you could show proof of paying that much. This is where insurance from an outside company comes in.

Ok.

Then, as I understand, they work diffrentley (DHL and FedEx). Because at DHL they insure it by them self, with the ex I gave a few posts ago.

Ya. At my FedEx Office location, we get a bunch of manufacturers/resellers that ship stuff from electronic parts, scales, boots, and fake movie blood. For them, the declared value would be what their resell cost is. And of course there are plenty of people who ship gifts as such as well, and those are pretty easy to put a declared value on.

There were a bunch of people who were shipping out Wii's that they had sold on ebay back when it came out. I saw many times that the seller would put a value of like $500 because that is what the buyer paid for it. Unfortunately for them, if something happened during shipping, they would only get their $250 back.

fanboi said:
Ehe... insurancecost is based upon how much you value your package.
Ex (DHL way to go here): My package is valued 10 000 $ I then pay 1% of the value of the cargo.

I had different experiences shipping international when working under Fedex, are you sure you're not talking about domestic?

I guess that's why you tell FedEx the real value of things, even if you do have to pay more.

When I moved from Wisconsin to Seattle, sure I paid a bit extra, but at least I knew all of my 360 games and collection of DVD's would be covered if they became lost.

But still, man that's a huge loss... :-(

Aselith

permutated said:

He wasn't shipping internationally.

smurfx

get some go again
speaking of classic games i think i lost my super nes games. i had final fight, zelda, super metroid, street fighter 2, donkey kong country, yoshi's island. i could of sworn i had put them in this box but i looked and they weren't there.

fanboi

Banned
permutated said:
I had different experiences shipping international when working under Fedex, are you sure you're not talking about domestic?

I am sure, if my package is valued (according to me) up to 10000 $ I pay 1% of that value to have it insured.

Aselith said:
He wasn't shipping internationally.

Not sure how I derived that from his OP, kinda sounded like he was moving his shit internationally to Japan, not just "around".

Regardless, this just confirms that the OP could have spent an extra 30$ to insure it, but now...oh well.

Sucks.

kitch9

Banned
[Nintex] said:
That's one of the worst things that could possibly happen to a gaming collection :(

Yeah, some Fucktard will be fucking trying to ebay that shit, and I bet he gets more than fucking $100.00.

Fucks me off this shit. Some twats are scumbags.....

kitch9 said:
Yeah, some Fucktard will be fucking trying to ebay that shit, and I bet he gets more than fucking $100.00.

Fucks me off this shit. Some twats are scumbags.....

I was expecting "Junior Member" status :lol

Top Bottom