• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminist Frequency: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Review

In the grim future of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the world has been pushed to the brink. Tensions are boiling over between cybernetically augmented people and “naturals,” with much of humanity now asking itself if augmented people be segregated from everyone else, forced to live in aug-only ghettos and communities. Does Mankind Divided handle these hefty moral questions with the gravity and perspective they deserve? Watch our review to find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b7oQKjWUQg

Interesting take.

SomTervo

I dig the idea of doing per-game Feminist reviews. Hopefully means they'll go deeper. It's always frustrating when they don't do a game justice - although they have been improving.

Edit: so it's just a by-the-numbers review? No thanks. (Was going to watch when I got home.)

-shadow-

While I don't really agree with her, I really liked the review of Assassin's Creed. I wonder how she'll approach this game.

Basically they enjoy the gameplay, even though they think that some of it is a step back from Human Revolution. Most of the complaints are directed towards the story feeling unresolved.

Spoilers? I'd like to watch it, but I'm afraid it may spoil the game for me.

It shows some cutscenes and some characters you may or may not know about. If you don't wanna watch it, the reviewer doesn't like it because he has issues with how oppression is shown in the game and feels like the gameplay is a step back from HR. She goes in 0 depth on both issues.

Deus Ex MANkind Divided- Triggered

Wow, that is so clever and funny.

I'm also a bit worried about spoilers - was just about to start the game up and am completely blind. Do they only discuss broader themes or actual details not related to representation/feminism as well?

Edit: Oh, it's just a general review of the game and not an analysis of specific subjects? Guess I'm skipping it for now then.

It shows some cutscenes and some characters you may or may not know about. If you don't wanna watch it, the reviewer doesn't like it because he has issues with how oppression is shown in the game and feels like the gameplay is a step back from HR. He goes in 0 depth on both issues.

She.

tim.mbp

It shows some cutscenes and some characters you may or may not know about. If you don't wanna watch it, the reviewer doesn't like it because he has issues with how oppression is shown in the game and feels like the gameplay is a step back from HR. He goes in 0 depth on both issues.

She. It's Carolyn Petit, formerly of Gamespot.

There's lots of talk about the story so people might find it spoilery.

Gestault

I'm definitely into individual game reviews for issue sites like this. I'll dig in after I'm done at work.

I would say there are some storyline spoilers at a conceptual level but I dont feel like anything was completely spoiled for me personally.

Oh sweet.

Trace

Banned

Alright saved a few minutes of my life, thanks. I'm fine with people having issues with a game, I just need explanation of why.

Exploiting the language of #BlackLivesMatter was pretty evident all through the game. And they're right in the sense that it never felt like there was ever a true conviction for either side throughout the game.

Adam always felt like he was 2 minutes from saying "Allow me to play devils advocate..." throughout it as well.

Great youtube channel. No ratings and comments. They sure encourage conversations between users.

If you've seen how toxic it gets, you'd see why. People are amazingly brave when they don't have to have responsibility for their words.

Are you sure, sounded like a male reviewer to me, was wondering why a man was working for a feminist site.

Men can be feminists too.

Deus Ex MANkind Divided- Triggered

Are you sure, sounded like a male reviewer to me, was wondering why a man was working for a feminist site.

Stellar contributions so far gameongreggy... (Edit: And there it is)

To the OP, this sounds similar to what Jeff Gertmann was saying about it during UPF last week; the main storyline has all these heady concepts and they're dealt with in about the depth you'd expect "from an episode of Law & Order." Disappointing. Sounds like the side stuff is a lot better though.

Great youtube channel. No ratings and comments. They sure encourage conversations between users.

Hmmm, yes. YouTube comments are where I go for all my in-depth conversations.

aeolist

Banned
Lol you do know the history of this channel right?

nobody really cares about youtube comments being disabled, if someone complains about it in these threads it's because that's a common anti-FF talking point and they just want to shitpost

stupei

Don't do this.

If you want to have a conversation about the content of the video, you can have one right here instead of baiting with comments unrelated to the substance of the argument.

DrBo42

You have to open with bait, not make it your second post in the thread. The triggered post already gave you away.

As for some of the talking points not sure how I feel about her take on the comparisons to victims of oppression in the real world. The black lives matter parallel does seem a little off but have to play it first to really judge.

Gattsu25

Banned
lol

It shows some cutscenes and some characters you may or may not know about. If you don't wanna watch it, the reviewer doesn't like it because he has issues with how oppression is shown in the game and feels like the gameplay is a step back from HR. She goes in 0 depth on both issues.
You're telling me that someone had issues with how oppression is conveyed in a game where their marketing has bluntly used "Aug Lives Matter" and "Mechanical Apartheid"?

Color me shocked.

Chobel

Some, the person talks about some of the locations. Parts of the story is talked about. Other than that, it's pretty non spoilerly.

I would say there are some storyline spoilers at a conceptual level but I dont feel like anything was completely spoiled for me personally.

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at the video.

Jakoo

I feel like when I tried and played through half of Human Revolution, as much as I was impressed by the universe, I thought the story-line and mechanics were not to my taste.

This sequel doesn't sound as though it's pushing anything forward with regards to either of those aspects.

Still excited for Deus Ex Go though.

I feel like when I tried and played through half of Human Revolution, as much as I was impressed by the universe, I thought the story-line and mechanics were not to my taste.

This sequel doesn't sound as though it's pushing anything forward with regards to either of those aspects.

Still excited for Deus Ex Go though.

That's what worried me as well. I honestly thought the main story was fairly bad in HR. It had some excellent character moments, but the overall story and the way things were handled seemed bad. So if this isn't a step forward, I'm struggling to convince myself the game will be worth my time.

I dig the idea of doing per-game Feminist reviews. Hopefully means they'll go deeper. It's always frustrating when they don't do a game justice - although they have been improving.
I think this would be a really interesting concept tbh, they kind of touched upon this with the first one they did (AC: Syndicate) but since have shifted into much more standard reviews, which is a shame.

I would love a per-game feminist analysis but I guess that they are too busy what with Tropes vs Women, Ordinary Women and the various talks and stuff they do.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Actually the first review I've seen that goes over the whole Aug Live Matters thing going on in the game. And shits on it.

DrBo42

should just put this in the review thread if its just a regular review
It is and isn't. Considering the nature of their content it spends quite a bit of time on the social issues in the game rather than a comprehensive review of the gameplay etc.

Actually the first review I've seen that goes over the whole Aug Live Matters thing going on in the game. And shits on it.
What have others been saying about it?

RedAssedApe

Banned
It is and isn't. Considering the nature of their content it spends quite a bit of time on the social issues in the game rather than a comprehensive review of the gameplay etc.

i stand corrected them. the comments above just made it sound like your average review. sorry for the derail

iiicon

While I don't really agree with her, I really liked the review of Assassin's Creed. I wonder how she'll approach this game.

Different reviewers. Anita Sarkeesian reviewed Assassin's Creed, while Carolyn Petit reviewed Deus Ex (and provides most reviews for their site).

This game runs into the same problem that X-Men does when it comes to telling a story about discrimination and phobias.

You try and make it flashier by adding fantastical elements to it (whether that be mutations, augs, etc), but those fantastical elements inadvertently make the antagonists more reasonable due to their danger, and therefore direct comparisons fall entirely flat.

And when you are invoking "Aug Lives Matter", that is a very direct comparison.

SomTervo

I think this would be a really interesting concept tbh, they kind of touched upon this with the first one they did (AC: Syndicate) but since have shifted into much more standard reviews, which is a shame.

I would love a per-game feminist analysis but I guess that they are too busy what with Tropes vs Women, Ordinary Women and the various talks and stuff they do.

Agreed, although it takes so long to make normal videos like this in my experience - why not focus it through feminism? Even simple tests like the... What's it called, the simple "do any women talk with other women about non-male main character plots" test.

The possibilities are right there!

[HP];214720557 said:
I'll die of old age before clicking that link.

... Thanks for dropping by?

Top Bottom