• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminists play GTA for the 1st time

Kinyou

They showed her multiply times throughout the video. Shooting up people in front of a hospital, driving her car into a tree and I think she was the one who burst out laughing at the video game tits.
My bad. They didn't show her face during those scenes. Still, seems like they didn't show her reactions to the more juicy bits.

mcz117chief

urJXmtU.gif

awesome gif :)

The one women who understands satire was good. The rest, ugh. This video is just a total click bait to feminists/gamergaters.

While, yes, that's EXACTLY what this video is. Understanding that GTA is satire doesn't mean you can't have negative opinions towards it from a feminist perspective. It may be satire, but it's a piece of satire in which all the men are given complex lives and goals and all the women are shrill, superficial, and obnoxious.

Einbroch

Banned
"I totally wasn't told that if I killed the prostitute I got my money back, this is something I naturally would have done!"

Zornack

My bad. They didn't show her face during those scenes. Still, seems like they didn't show her reactions to the more juicy bits.

Yeah, aside from her opening and closing remarks I think they only show her face once. I actually had the same thought as you and had to re-watch the video and pay close attention to the voices because they way its edited does make it seem like they didn't show any of her reactions.

t's a piece of satire in which all the men are given complex lives and goals and all the women are shrill, superficial, and obnoxious.

It's almost like a satire of American culture where women are treated worse than men. Weird. Anyway, the way buzzfeed did this was obviously just to stir things up. Hardly worth a proper discussion.

Zornack

While, yes, that's EXACTLY what this video is. Understanding that GTA is satire doesn't mean you can't have negative opinions towards it from a feminist perspective. It may be satire, but it's a piece of satire in which all the men are given complex lives and goals and all the women are shrill, superficial, and obnoxious.

Are there any GTA side characters who aren't shrill, superficial and obnoxious? GTA only makes you give a shit about the character(s) you're playing and they haven't had a female protagonist yet.

I hate videoes like this and all the "teens/children react" videoes. It just plays of super fake every single time.
Here they obviously directed them towards the things that would give the biggest reaction. It didn't seem like they any had a chance to get a feel for the tone of the game before being blasted in the face with 3D boobs and prostitutes. Terrible.

Gestault

As much as I had low expectations coming in, I thought the on-the-fly commentary, alongside the candid, relatable "oops" moments made it come across in a way more people would listen to than might otherwise. I guess I don't like the subtext that feminists wouldn't have played it already, but that's layering on assumptions. I didn't like how it wasn't them reacting to the game as a game, but they were directing them to incidental points for a reaction.

Vire

I thought it was relatively tame aside from the hilarious quote "This is why I wrote a blog post about why I fucking hate video games"..

Oh no... blog warrior coming for ya.

Why does it seem like there is two separate companies within Buzzfeed? There's one that produces good journalistic content and then there's this part. I don't get it.

Empty

gta is horrible and despite this being a shallow take and a bit insipid they are correct to identify that it's sad how influential and formative it is among teenage boys trying to find themselves. terrible messages about people and the world, even if the relentless cynicism is trying to be satire it just feels like cheap pandering with little attempt to subvert any element.

pj

Banned
I hate videoes like this and all the "teens/children react" videoes. It just plays of super fake every single time.
Here they obviously directed them towards the things that would give the biggest reaction. It didn't seem like they any had a chance to get a feel for the tone of the game before being blasted in the face with 3D boobs and prostitutes. Terrible.

The available activities in GTA5 range in morality from neutral to bad. I think stuff like this would have less of a point if there were more constructive things to do (what happened to fire fighter/ambulance missions??), even if the bad stuff still got more media attention.

Experien

I have to say that I chuckled a bit when one of them said "I wrote a blog post about this..."

But I was actually surprised how the video ended.

Video was tame, still confused on what's the major issue though, it's GTA it not having prostitutes would be weird, I mean, maybe I don't know also have some male prostitutes or a game where you play as a girl or something.

Also, that comment about how much time they spent on the girls body, well I feel the need to point out that from the looks of it, it was just a generic body, probably the same as the one used for several non-prostitute npcs, so they probably didn't spend that much time on it.

Seems like YOU guys are overreacting more than you expected THEM to...

I mean, oh for christ sake. I'm a woman, I consider myself rooting for the feminist ideals and I love GTA V, it's a FRIGGIN GAME. And a GOOD one with great, funny, satirical, clever story!

I completely ignored the gamergate etc. stuff.
Would voicing her opinion (i.e. "it's just a game") get someone banned on GAF?

Sounds reasonable to me but apparently the whole mess is a super touchy subject here.

But I co-sign the lack of strong female story characters, although there were a few in other GTA games (at least I remember GTA3, though her role makes the player hate her...). The new multiple character thing would easily allow even a playable female protagonist (didn't fit with the story of GTAV though).

I thought it was relatively tame aside from the hilarious quote "This is why I wrote a blog post about why I fucking hate video games"..

Oh no... blog warrior coming for ya.

I thought so too. Other than the blogger, who almost bordered on a caricature with how she reacted to it. The rest was pretty rational.

Oh and the woman in the black top made me laugh with "Well, I want to show her a good time." That was pretty funny.

Their complaints are pretty valid really, especially that there's really no 'strong', good or even enjoyable female characters in GTA (even though they didn't go in to the story they got that right lol).

Pretty lame video overall. They seemed to enjoy the game though.

How would you define a good character in GTA? GTAV in particular is a game that paints everyone ins a very negative light. They're all terrible people to a much greater degree than in previous games where you could at least see where someone like CJ or even Niko were coming from initially. There's none of that with Michael, Franklin and Trevor. They're just terrible people that are extremely fucking greedy.

gta is horrible and despite this being a shallow take and a bit insipid they are correct to identify that it's sad how influential and formative it is among teenage boys trying to find themselves. terrible messages about people and the world, even if the relentless cynicism is trying to be satire it just feels like cheap pandering with little attempt to subvert any element.

Yeah man. All us 45+ million teenage boys playing GTAV to find ourselves. Wait...

How would you define a good character in GTA? GTAV in particular is a game that paints everyone ins a very negative light. They're all terrible people to a much greater degree than in previous games where you could at least see where someone like CJ or even Niko were coming from initially. There's none of that with Michael, Franklin and Trevor. They're just terrible people that are extremely fucking greedy.

A strong character doesn't necessarily mean a noble character, it means a well written character. The trio of GTA V at least have fleshed out back stories, they go through a character arc, they occasionally express feelings. They're not the strongest characters in gaming, but they're fleshed out to some degree. None of the women in the game get anywhere near the same treatment. They're all one-dimensional cliches and plot devices.

One of them condemns the fact that you can beat a prostitute to death but at no point does the game make or even encourage the player to do that. They did that on their own accord...

I completely ignored the gamergate etc. stuff.
Would voicing her opinion (i.e. "it's just a game") get someone banned on GAF?

Sounds reasonable to me but apparently the whole mess is a super touchy subject here.

That wouldn't get you banned on GAF.

Spewing a sexist agenda would probably do the trick though.

This is more "lets see what happens when we have __(outspoken self-proclaimed feminists)___ play ___(a game that would present a completely opposite and possibly offensive stance to everything you believe in)___sensationalism."

Seems like they're looking for shock value more than anything else.

Furyous

"If anyone has ever went to a strip club you know you're not supposed to touch girls"

Technically, you're not supposed touch girls but.... life comes at you fast and depends upon where you're at. I'm not condoning touching strippers but ...*EDIT, *EDIT*, *EDIT*, *EDIT* and *EDIT*.

The women in glasses did not seem amused by the is game at all.

I'm with them in regards to the lack of female portrayal and think they should boycott this game. Rockstar loves awareness about their products and such a campaign helps spread GTA V.

Zornack

A strong character doesn't necessarily mean a noble character, it means a well written character. The trio of GTA V at least have fleshed out back stories, they go through a character arc, they occasionally express feelings. They're not the strongest characters in gaming, but they're fleshed out to some degree. None of the women in the game get anywhere near the same treatment. They're all one-dimensional cliches and plot devices.

Every character outside of the main three are one-dimensional cliches or plot devices. Every male side character is as slight of a character as every female side character.

TM94

So high up on that horse.

Are there any GTA side characters who aren't shrill, superficial and obnoxious? GTA only makes you give a shit about the character(s) you're playing and they haven't had a female protagonist yet.

Not entirely true... Kendyl from GTA:SA is a strong, reasonable, get-shit-done female character in the game, and her role is pretty important throughout the entire story. She was probably the most reasonable, positive non-protagonist in the whole story.

Top Bottom