• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

spirity

There's always a room for improvement. People said the same things about Halo when it led console online gaming. Look where it's at now.

It could be that a Japanese developer releases an online fps to the level of Modern Warfare. But that's going to bomb in Japan surely? It definitely wouldn't get 30m sales, unless it was all overseas. With no interest in Japan for that type of game from the Japanese public, I can't see it ever happening.

Yes, the guy's comment was rude and unprofessional. That was not lost on me in the least.

However, a 50 page rage thread that is rapidly growing gives me the impression there might be more at play here. Some people seem to be taking this more personally than others.
So you agree that it is offensive, and see all the Fish apologists backing him up, and the additional unfolding of events with the twitter jackassery, and then the backtracking by Fish, and the discovery of who the Japanese gentleman is and his own twitter feed, and speedpop's amazing recap, and you still think it has to be racial/national bias that drove the thread to such levels of enthusiasm?

There is a lot more to this thread than everyone arguing over the original story. It evolved, Hollywood ending and everything. A lot of people made the discussion about Japan's games being poor or not, and many others actually needed it explained to them what was so offensive about Fish's behavior. I guess I would blame the apologists before the enthusiasts, but that's just me.

canedaddy

I'm glad he finally apologized to the guy but I'm still passing on Fez. I try to avoid giving money to assholes whenever possible, and there are plenty of other games to play.

Note: I am not Japanese.

Dave Long

Banned
That apology is pretty hollow given what a dickhead he was until he found out who it was he slagged off.

Again, all it would've taken was professionalism from someone who is employed by a professional outfit called MICROSOFT to avoid this whole business ever occurring, but that's apparently asking too much of the game industry...

DaBuddaDa

...all it would've taken was professionalism from someone who is employed by a professional outfit called MICROSOFT to avoid this whole business ever occurring, but that's apparently asking too much of the game industry...

He's self-employed in the company he founded, Polytron. He has business deals signed with Microsoft, he's not a Microsoft employee. They're not a first or second party studio owned by Microsoft.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
People in the west like shooting their friends over a network in a first person perspective. That is not going to change anytime soon. If Japan wants to court them, they'll have to offer not only a similar experience, but a more refined one. And IW have got many years of refining their formula down to a t.

I can't see it happening. I don't like that situation, but that's how it is.

In the 16bit era - "people in the west like beating the crap out of their friends in a fighting game at a seedy arcade in the mall"

In the 32bit era - "people in the west like jumping around on 3D platforms collecting a million different doodads"

In the 64bit era - "people in the west like to drive around running hookers over while rap music plays"

Trends change, and in a few years something else will take the spotlight. Though knowing how trends work, it'll probably be something much worse. :p

My all-time favourite games are Japanese developed/produced/directed.

RE4, Silent Hill 1-4, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 9, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and that's just scratching the surface.

Also just picked up Gravity Daze, which despite the language barrier is enchanting.

I understand some people are disconnected or uninterested in Japanese developed games, but I can only conclude that they're sorely missing out if their choosing to avoid them for the cultural or stylistic differences that make them what they are.

Dave Long

Banned
You guys are confusing the business details of their relationship with the perception everyone has... the guy has his game associated with Microsoft and he has acted like a d-bag during a professional event and long afterward. That's what matters to Microsoft, regardless of what's printed on paper between the two.

Zia

I'm not confusing anything. You said Microsoft was publishing the game and that they're "paying his bills." Which is unsurprisingly, factually wrong. They owe Microsoft nothing but reimbursement for the technical assistance they were provided once they signed an exclusivity deal. That's it. The game is co-published by Trapdoor and Polytron.

and that would stop Japanese westerners from feeling that way?

I know an awful lot of people here in the United States who have never stepped foot in Ireland, but they're very proud of their Irish heritage, and their immigrant family members who left there.

As I midwestern American, I don't have any Japanese national pride, and I'm certainly not a "weeaboo". I do get irritated with the ugly menus, ugly UI and shoddy QA of a lot of Western product, however, and I do think that's something that Western devs can still learn from their Japanese counterparts. The general presentation style has gotten better in some cases, thanks to companies like Rockstar, but a lot of games, especially in the FPS, sports and WRPG genres still just throw page after page of junky, clunky menus at you with no explanation of how anything works (outside of random "helpful tips" on loading screens).

DaBuddaDa

I do get irritated with the ugly menus, ugly UI and shoddy QA of a lot of Western product, however, and I do think that's something that Western devs can still learn from their Japanese counterparts. The general presentation style has gotten better in some cases, thanks to companies like Rockstar, but a lot of games, especially in the FPS, sports and WRPG genres still just throw page after page of junky, clunky menus at you with no explanation of how anything works (outside of random "helpful tips" on loading screens).

Ironically, Dark/Demon's Souls, the poster children of Japanese console success of this generation, are full of glitches, exploits and framerate issues and have some godawful menu driven inventory UIs. I find UI issues more endemic to specific genres rather than which country they come out of.

Jasoco

Banned
This is one of the dumbest things I've read on this board and that's saying a lot. Comparing a snippy, culturally insensitive remark from a no name video game developer to a massive oil spill that killed people an destroyed significant swaths of coastland is so idiotic, sheltered and just plain dumb that I kinda feel sorry for you.

I didn't say anything about Fez being compared to Oil Spills. Read the post. It was a rant about boycotts. Nothing more. It has nothing to do with Fez or Fish. Geeze. Not once did I mention Fez or Fish in that post. It was a reply to someone saying we should boycott the game. It was my stance on BOYCOTTS. Not on FEZ.
KuGsj.gif

Oppo

Having only played the binary domain demo, sure, I can give you that. But vanquish? I'm having trouble thinking of what game they're imitating.
vanquish is nothing like gears o

are you for real or joking? Vanquish is a hilarious B-tier Gears ripoff. And yeah I own a copy. Rocket-sliding on your ass with janky controls is not all that amazing.

Anyways I really can't believe how much you guys care about what he said, to be on page 50 now. Words are wind. Just gotta relax some more, people talk shit, I would think GAFfers of all people would know how to separate the hyperbole.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
are you for real or joking? Vanquish is a hilarious B-tier Gears ripoff. And yeah I own a copy. Rocket-sliding on your ass with janky controls is not all that amazing.

Anyways I really can't believe how much you guys care about what he said, to be on page 50 now. Words are wind. Just gotta relax some more, people talk shit, I would think GAFfers of all people would know how to separate the hyperbole.

And yet here you are posting in response to someone with whom you disagreed.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
LOL juniors whipping out the weeaboo finger pointing and people trolling Vanquish.

Stay free, Internet, or some shit like that.

speedpop, you so crazy.

that's a good one, but you gotta include "It’s a console game on a console. END OF STORY" somewhere. perhaps the PC port thread title!

Fez |OT|: If I Stand Tall it is on the Shoulders of Sucky Giants

LOL juniors whipping out the weeaboo finger pointing and people trolling Vanquish.

Stay free, Internet, or some shit like that.

The adrenaline from the fight's still got them riled, I'd guess.

Iknos

I'm not 'pretending'; the situations aren't remotely comparable.

You seem to believe 'a putdown is a putdown', regardless of the context. That's completely untrue. Context matters.

Let's look at the situation again, this time taking context into account.

a) Japanese developer makes positive comments about film, asks what Fish thinks about Japanese games. Fish responds by ripping on all games from the man's home country in about the most tactless, rude fashion possible, in front of a room full of people.

b) NeoGAF gets wind of Fish's actions. In response to what he said and did, several people declare that he's a douche, some of them going so far as to inform him of this online.

Now, are you honestly going to sit there and tell me that those are both the same thing, because they both involve someone being put down? Really?

Since you still don't seem to get it, let me put this to you as unambiguously as possible.

Unnamed Japanese Developer didn't do anything to deserve the dickish treatment he received from Fish.

Fish, by being a real dick to someone for no good reason, has earned the response he's receiving.

That's about as simple as it gets, and if you still can't understand it, I don't know what else to tell you.

Your problem is that you consider his frankness to be "dickish".

Japanese dude fully deserved an honest answer.

It's only "dickish" because you don't agree with his opinion.

You call it tactless because you don't like it. You call it rude because you don't want to hear it.

Ask me what I think about Terminator Salvation. It sucks.

Does that make me an asshole? Saying it how it is? Am I expected to waste my breath and time as to why it sucks?

Fish was being frank. More power to him.

Hate on him all you want but you people have to admit that you guys are being douchebags too.

That's all you have to admit.

You call it tactless because you don't like it. You call it rude because you don't want to hear it.

Does that make me an asshole? Saying it how it is? Am I expected to waste my breath and time as to why it sucks?

Hate on him all you want but you people have to admit that you guys are being douchebags too.

You and Fish are such bad asses.

Jeff-DSA

Yeah, man. It's not even remotely dickish to shame a dude in front of a room full of his colleagues!

Phil Fish was so incredibly out of line it's not even funny. You can be frank and tactful. First of all, he didn't need to use the world's widest brush. Secondly, he could have said, "Japan has produced some great stuff in the past and recently, but many have fallen behind in many regards when it comes to UI, storytelling, controls, and cohesiveness. Obviously there's talent in Japan, but it's time to let go of old conventions."

Still frank, but not dickish.

Iknos

You and Fish are such bad asses.

Yeah I know. Using the word "sucks" makes someone a badass. Automatically.

Good point.

Yeah, man. It's not even remotely dickish to shame a dude in front of a room full of his colleagues!

If the guy was ashamed that's his problem. Not yours and not Fish's.

The guy had a chance to answer back like "what about japanese games suck?" or "can you go into more detail?".

Maybe the fact that the guy ran out of the room crying is something he should be ashamed of.

I'm not really wading into the larger issue but

Wrong. There are perfectly tactful and useful ways to express negative opinions other than "It sucks." Movie critics do it all the time; I don't agree with Ebert on everything, but his bad reviews are still really interesting to read and provide insight as to why he feels the way he does. Throwing out "it sucks" doesn't provide any insight at all, it's just a childish retort. This is entirely regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

If you want your opinion to be respected you do. It's funny you find the mere prospect of providing supporting arguments a "waste of breath and time."

Why does he have to? What if he doesn't?

Iknos

It's funny you find the mere prospect of providing supporting arguments for things that should be very obvious a "waste of breath and time."

Tweaked your statement to reflect what I was thinking.

Why does he have to? What if he doesn't?

Then he's just being ignorant. Which isn't my problem and I don't care either way.

EmCeeGramr said:
Are you 13 years old.

Maybe you should be asking the guy who ran out of a room crying.

A more valid comparison would be if you said every American movie made within the past 5 or so years sucked.

Prior to 2003 I would have said the exact same thing to any American asking me what I thought about modern American cars. Yeah there are exceptions there are always exceptions but I would say "your cars suck" if someone asked me what I thought about modern American cars. If the guy wants to ask why or carry the discussion I'd be up for it. If the person runs out crying that's another issue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are you 13 years old.

I think he is. I almost responded to his idiotic regurgitation of the same narrow-minded viewpoints already expressed multiple times in this thread, but I didn't think it would be worth it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Hilariously pathetic response.

It was at the GDC, an international convention of developers. People expect better from the panels when answering an audience's question than the equivalent answer one would read on a gaming forum or from youtube comments.

Nice try though, but you need to think a little more.

If the guy was ashamed that's his problem. Not yours and not Fish's.

The guy had a chance to answer back like "what about japanese games suck?" or "can you go into more detail?".

Maybe the fact that the guy ran out of the room crying is something he should be ashamed of.

"Professor, what do you think of the big bang theory?"

"It's shit!"

"Why is it shit, professor? Can you go into more detail?"

See how ridiculous this is? This is exactly what happened. You didn't think this through before commenting.

mollipen

He's a person a lot of indie developers look up to, he was a speaker on a rather major panel at a rather major conference, and he was asked a question by somebody who was hoping to get a genuine answer. There's a huge world of difference between than and making a statement about some random movie on an internet forum.

It's all about context, and if you can't understand that, it's not the fault of the people in this thread.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It was at the GDC, an international convention of developers. People expect better from the panels when answering an audience's question than the equivalent answer one would read on a gaming forum or from youtube comments.

"It's shit!"

See how ridiculous this is? This is exactly what happened. You didn't think this through before commenting.

It's even more ridiculous when you realize he's comparing a single film to an entire nation's output in a certain medium.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

The bolded part is what makes the Japanese guy's story poetic. His goal with going to GDC was to have a dialog with like minded professionals and enthusiastic programmers, to get real questions and answers.

So the first thing that happens is he runs into a guy who says "U ALL SUCK". A guy on a panel. Who is supposed to be leading the intellectual side of the discussion.

Well played, Canada. Or something.

Tweaked your statement to reflect what I was thinking.

Then he's just being ignorant. Which isn't my problem and I don't care either way.

Prior to 2003 I would have said the exact same thing to any American asking me what I thought about modern American cars. Yeah there are exceptions there are always exceptions but I would say "your cars suck" if someone asked me what I thought about modern American cars. If the guy wants to ask why or carry the discussion I'd be up for it. If the person runs out crying that's another issue.

Speaking of a waste of breath and time......

Mik2121

I'm completely clueless as for what you're trying to achieve repeating this. Either you're just trying to act funny and laugh at other users, or you're just plain ignorant about what actually happened.

Either way, just for your information, the guy actually didn't run out of the room. And why would you want to engage in a discussion with someone that at the time didn't seem to be capable of expressing his opinions in a neutral way without being plain insulting?

You're aware that he apologized afterwards, right? So you're not defending or agreeing with anyone.

Big-E

Crazy how this is still going down and people fail to realize what GDC is. It is a conference for PEERS to discuss game development. In any other profession where someone would directly belittle another in front of a forum of peers, the person making the comments would be regretting what they said. In a way, I am glad at least GAF is talking about this as it is something that hurts the perception of developers and of indie developers specifically.

jman2050

Iknos, GDC is neither a high school classroom nor an internet message board. I don't know if you have actually experienced a real world setting beyond those two, but just in case, I'll let you know what's what.

Iknos

"It's shit!"

Have you ever been to a conference? It's not like he can go into an essay for each and every question.

It was a nice "first response". A "TDLR" version if you will.

You see in these environments the moderator typically asks the panel to keep their answers short and concise. Getting into a rant doesn't help anyone here.

I'm completely clueless as for what you're trying to achieve repeating this. Either you're just trying to act funny and laugh at other users, or you're just plain ignorant about what actually happened.

Either way, just for your information, the guy actually didn't run out of the room.

The fact that he didn't run out of the room doesn't matter here. We want to paint a picture of a Japanese guy who can't emotionally handle any negative statement. We want to make him look weak. By repeating this I can make it a reality.

Just like how people keep repeating the idea that Fish's response was vile and insulting. When the reality was that it was just frank.

Big-E

Have you ever been to a conference? It's not like he can go into an essay for each and every question.

It was a nice "first response". A "TDLR" version if you will.

You see in these environments the moderator typically asks the panel to keep their answers short and concise. Getting into a rant doesn't help anyone here.

I like how anything over one sentence is an essay. Your position is as weak as Fish's tact. Let it go.

The fact that he didn't run out of the room doesn't matter here. We want to paint a picture of a Japanese guy who can't emotionally handle any negative statement. We want to make him look weak. By repeating this I can make it a reality.

What the hell are you talking about? What sort of desperate backpedaling is this?

Iknos

I like how anything over one sentence is an essay. Your position is as weak as Fish's tact. Let it go.

I like how I didn't say that and yet you insinuate that I did. You were saying something about weak arguments?

What the hell are you talking about? What sort of desperate backpedaling is this?

Talking about your tactics. Interpreting Fish's actions to be something other than what it was and then repeating it ad nauseum.

Look folks we are getting off topic here.

The real discussion is...was Fish being rude or being frank?

I sit in the "frank" side. Many of you obviously don't. But what I find interesting is that those claiming "rude" are being rude themselves.

And its that observation that seems to have tickled you folks in the wrong way.

Maybe because it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom