• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk I wish he'd wash his hair, it looks so grimy :(

oVerde

Banned
DAT arrogance! Not all gamers are wuss, do that to me in real life and I'll make sure he'll end up in the hospital.... NERD!!!!
image.php

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I've been a fucking asshole and a troll "for the lulz," but people are actually holding it against me? What the hell?! I'm starting to feel a bit depressed now. This sucks.

If he actually wanted all of this to stop, he probably shouldn't post such self-centered "my feelings are hurt" nonsense, and instead start being a nice guy. Stop provoking people unnecessarily, stop being inflammatory, and start interacting with people as if you respect them.

GG-Duo

Developer says stupid things, gets attacked about them, and gets depressed.

Oh my God!!!... what kind of world do we live in?

Developer says stupid things, gets attacked about them, developer apologizes, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, and gets depressed.

A shitty immature echo chamber world.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Developer says stupid things, gets attacked about them, developer apologizes, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, gets attacked about them, and gets depressed.

Oh yes. All he ever did was say some stupid things and then apologize.

This absolutely didn't come as a result of a his having a consistent history of outbursts of pure rudeness. Nope! Just a one time thing that he owned up to!

zroid

Banned

I think you left out a few dozen more "says stupid things"

but this discussion's been had to death already. Talking about Phil Fish is one of the last things I want to do right now.

paile

Banned
He's probably right at the moment but you just don't say things like that. I've been turned off his game as a result. Pity, it looked decent in the Steam video I watched too.

It doesn't warrant any-fucking-where near this level of discussion. For real.

Yup. But hey, internet gonna internet.

For comparison's sake, Blow got sick and fed up with all the hullabaloo around him and he did the only right thing for someone who really wants it to go away: left the net and the public eye for a while until shit died down naturally.

Not really though, there are people who still talk shit about Jon Blow every time his name is brought up. There are a shocking number of people who will hold a grudge for years because someone said mean things on the internet.

69 pages of piling on Phil Fish for having opinions in just this one thread. I guess it is good for you guys to get it all out. Bunch of haters.

To be fair it sounds like its more "Dev says stupid things, gets attacked, apologizes, says more stupid things, gets attacked, says even more stupid things, gets attacked, gets depressed and apologizes."

I really haven't been paying attention though, that's just what I gather from the last few pages :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
69 pages of piling on Phil Fish for having opinions in just this one thread. I guess it is good for you guys to get it all out. Bunch of haters.

Do you think opinions are immune to criticism? Why are you against people negatively reacting to someone's negative public statements?

To be fair it sounds like its more "Dev says stupid things, gets attacked, apologizes, says more stupid things, gets attacked, says even more stupid things, gets attacked, gets depressed and apologizes."

I really haven't been paying attention though, that's just what I gather from the last few pages :p

That "poor me" breakdown on Twitter was supposed to be an apology? Or did I miss something else?

Roto13

Yeah, no, that's not the story, sorry.

Burt

I love how the term "troll" has morphed into this blanket term that encompasses any action a person takes that someone else disagrees with. Phil Fish hates the direction Japanese games have taken over the last decade... troll! Phil Fish uses strong language to respond to people that've been anonymously antagonizing him over Twitter... troll! Phil Fish uses the success of his game to call out people who've been actively rooting for his failure... troll! Phil Fish changes his mind about bring Fez to the PC... troll!

And at the same time that he's being straightforward and organic in his interactions with the community people bitch about PR doublespeak in the industry and make defense forces for George Kamitani's sex doll art and casually homophobic response to Kotaku and Kamiya's actual trolling.

I'm beginning to go to the side of him just being an attention whore.

And that's fine. I guess it's working for him. I still won't buy Fez though. :D

I suppose he can "choke on that".

Haunted

Yup. But hey, internet gonna internet.

Not really though, there are people who still talk shit about Jon Blow every time his name is brought up. There are a shocking number of people who will hold a grudge for years because someone said mean things on the internet.
Some people do, but many more gamers "outraged" now have the long time memory of a squirrel.

But as I said, that's not actually in his interest. He wants the attention and he'll continue to get it.

Valnen

Lol. We're talking about a guy who tells his critics to suck his dick. Anything negative said to him is justified.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Didn't he tweeted a picture of him flipping the bird and saying "fuck you all" earlier today?

Now he's having a breakdown?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love how the term "troll" has morphed into this blanket term that encompasses any action a person takes that someone else disagrees with. Phil Fish hates the direction Japanese games have taken over the last decade... troll! Phil Fish uses strong language to respond to people that've been anonymously antagonizing him over Twitter... troll! Phil Fish uses the success of his game to call out people who've been actively rooting for his failure... troll! Phil Fish changes his mind about bring Fez to the PC... troll!

And at the same time that he's being straightforward and organic in his interactions with the community people bitch about PR doublespeak in the industry and make defense forces for George Kamitani's casually homophobic response to Kotaku and Kamiya's actual trolling.

It's all about how you present yourself. If you're being antagonistic and inflammatory or otherwise trying to get a negative reaction out of your target, you're being a troll (or a "flamer" in earlier net lingo). Saying, "I think the quality of most Japanese games are in a decline overall. I don't really like to play them anymore." would have been no problem. Saying, "your games just suck." to an single Japanese person as way to express your distaste of games from Japan is just a shitty thing to do. Not only are you treating that guy as if he is the representative of Japan, but you're just being an asshole.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
And at the same time that he's being straightforward and organic...
idDTql7MKWSZz.png

So straightforward and organic.
Not trying to get a rise of people at all.

The guy isn't innocent. Not saying he deserves all the shit he gets, but he has certainly earned some of it.

Burt

Lol. We're talking about a guy who tells his critics to suck his dick. Anything negative said to him is justified.
We're counting anonymous assholes on Twitter critics now?

If Louis CK got in as much shit as Phil for every time he said something similar, he'd be in jail.

The screen cap above me is exactly straightforward and organic. It isn't filtered through a PR grinder, and it's exactly how he feels about the issue. People who got offended by that were self-identifying as the petty, antagonistic twits that threw fits when he changed his mind about the PC. He isn't insulting his fans or the community as a whole, he's putting down the people that had been cheering for his failure. I dont see much wrong with that.

At the bottom, he has kind words and a thank you for all the people that don't fall into that category. Granted, he probably should've put that at the top and the comment towards all the nerds as a P.S., but whatever.

I also think that the "your games suck" was probably a bit too much, but if he had generalized it as "Japanese games suck" or even "Japanese games are fucking atrocious" instead of making it sound like he was dropping it all on that guys shoulders, it would've been fine. That's a semantic argument though, because I think it would be pretty hard to believe that Phil actually believes that the single dude in front of him was actually single-handedly responsible for his perception of the Japanese industry.

"I don't really mean it guys, why so serious?" isn't really an apology. It's just turning it back on the critics.

Fez is a good game. It isn't diminished by its creator being the way he is.

I don't feel sorry for him at all for the things he continues to bring in himself.

King_Moc

Banned
idDTql7MKWSZz.png

So straightforward and organic.
Not trying to get a rise of people at all.

The guy isn't innocent. Not saying he deserves all the shit he gets, but he has certainly earned some of it.

Woah, what the hell? Everyone that dislikes him is a nerd? I'm pretty sure that if you asked the man on the street who the most nerdy people in society were, videogame programmers would be high up there. You know, if you like to generalise. Which he does.

I take back my previous statement. The guys a dick.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We're counting anonymous assholes on Twitter critics now?

If Louis CK got in as much shit as Phil for every time he said something similar, he'd be in jail.

I didn't realize his comments were directed ONLY at the anonymous people on Twitter. I saw a ton of people using real names and pictures on Twitter throwing criticism his way.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just ordered the wrong shit from Amazon and I get bitched out about it. I'd rather be in Phil Fish's shoes right now.

Ushae

Banned
Very classy. Japanese games are the reason most of us even got into gaming at all. They still produce incredible titles now, although in fewer quantity, like ni no kuni, dark souls and Zelda.

He isn't half wrong tho, japans output has been dire in the last few years, they're capable of so much more.

Burt

I didn't realize his comments were directed ONLY at the anonymous people on Twitter. I saw a ton of people using real names and pictures on Twitter throwing criticism his way.
Have you ever seen the screencap of the Twitter conversation where he told a someone to suck his dick? Im not gonna put it in here cause I'm on mobile and it's a hassle, but all Phil said was "there's a 35 page thread about me on neogaf".

And then Agent MST decides it would be fair to call him an arrogant smack-talking schmuck with zero accomplishments.

Justified?

Moobabe

Very classy. Japanese games are the reason most of us even got into gaming at all. They still produce incredible titles now, although in fewer quantity, like ni no kuni, dark souls and Zelda.

He isn't half wrong tho, japans output has been dire in the last few years, they're capable of so much more.

A little lttp there - and Ni No Kuni is far from incredible, so much wasted potential :(

Kade

Have you ever seen the screencap of the Twitter conversation where he told a someone to suck his dick? Im not gonna put it in here cause I'm on mobile and it's a hassle, but all Phil said was "there's a 35 page thread about me on neogaf".

And then Agent MST decides it would be fair to call him an arrogant smack-talking schmuck with zero accomplishments.

Justified?

You do know Agent MST's sole purpose for tweeting Phil was to get a reaction out of him, right? The whole time it was happening he kept bragging about it and trying to push it further. The screencap is of one of many tweets that he made to Phil. I can understand Phil getting annoyed with some guy who wouldn't stop tweeting to him but he should have just ignored it like he did with the other attempts. IIRC, many people in the thread told Agent MST to give it up but he just wouldn't let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom