• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Rebirth sold less than FFXVI in Japan at launch (336,027 vs 262,656) Retail

Rac3r

Only way Final Fantasy recovers in Japan is if Sony releases a hybrid/handheld system (like they and Xbox are rumored to do) or Square starts bringing the mainline games to Switch 2. Even then, it seems like it would be far from the juggernaut it used to be. For example, Crisis Core Reunion sold half as much as PS4/5 at launch in Japan.

Woopah

Only way Final Fantasy recovers in Japan is if Sony releases a hybrid/handheld system (like they and Xbox are rumored to do) or Square starts bringing the mainline games to Switch 2. Even then, it seems like it would be far from the juggernaut it used to be. For example, Crisis Core Reunion sold half as much as PS4/5 at launch in Japan.
I would say PC offers the largest growth opportunity for FF, at least until Switch 2 comes out and establishes itself.

Even then, SE would need to do more to build the FF userbase on Nintendo platforms. The latest info we got for Crisis Core total sales is:

PS5 + PS4 = 153, 027
Switch = 109,189

Lethal01

Too damn long between sequels
It was just a totally stupid decision all around. Usually, you can buy a game's sequel without playing the original and it's fine. In this case, because it's one game divided into three parts, there's no real sensible reason to buy the game if you haven't finished part 1. What percentage of people who bought part one actually finished it?

By the time the third installment releases who's gonna still be interested outside of the diehards?

Again, these games are the two biggest launches on PS5, How does that register as a failure in any way?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
IMG-5710.jpg

Where my fellow Squall chads at? Love the game or hate it FFVIII is pinnacle series commercial relevance. Haters absolutely blown the fuck out :messenger_sunglasses:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

So Nintendo is the one to rescue Square? Would be ironic, although it's difficult to argue that it would likely sell better.

The concerning thing for me is that Square is not in the greatest financial shape, and having high production games bomb is not good.

It could also be that people don't want to play this game piecemeal, and would rather wait until a complete edition releases?

Of course the install base matters, which is why these exclusivity deals, timed or otherwise, are not good for 3rd party developers.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Rebirth has a lot more gameplay elements to it than the Remake. It’s been great if you ask me. Maybe the Remake satisfied everyone’s nostalgia. It’s kinda sad because Rebirth is a real treat after the Remake. I’m looking forward to the final game.

I didn’t enjoy 16 even though I beat it. It felt like a typical Square action game. I would take Cloud over Clive any day of the week.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not on a single platform.

Very true! Something most here don't seem to realize either.

What would you have said the ceiling was for a traditional CRPG at this time last year?

BG3 did break through that CRPG ceiling. It rarely happens that way. But it did for Larian.

But.. I thought the install base really mattered /s

There's something wrong with Final Fantasy and it's that it's not selling what it should. And this should have sold more than FF15 and FF16.

If only there were a way to release the same game across multiple platforms to sell more copies..

The port begging has gotten nasty as of late on GAF.

Remember how gamers begged 2 decades for a remake?

This should be a lesson to game makers. Gamers do not know what they want. Do not listen to them.

So are we going to ignore the fact that FF7:Remake sold almost 9 million copies? Why would any gaming company not listen to those sales?

Last edited:

kevm3

Elden Ring and RE4 don't even manage 100K but weeb trash like FF gets 200K+?

Japan really needs to get into modern times and let go of their hard-ons for JRPGs with teenage protagonists.

What exactly is 'weeb' about FF7? And you are wondering why the remake to essentially the most renowned rpg of all time and one of the games that really put PSX on the map over the n64 is a top seller?

Hugare

Seeing people's interpretations here make me understand how executives can be so clueless sometimes with their decisions.

They probably also miss the forrest for the trees. "FF Rebirth sold less than XVI". Does it mean XVI was better? Japanese people preffer XVI? The franchise popularity is declining? There's so much more to it, as shown by some users here.

Woopah

Elden Ring and RE4 don't even manage 100K but weeb trash like FF gets 200K+?

Japan really needs to get into modern times and let go of their hard-ons for JRPGs with teenage protagonists.
Elden Ring and RE4 were on PC and PS4, so even just for physical those games had higher openings in Japan that what is on that chart.

Yeah, if they had just put it on Xbox I'm sure it would have gotten massive success in Japan

/s
Don't see Xbox mentioned anywhere.

SE would've sold 10 times the pathetic current sales if it were multiplat day one including PC and Switch, but they chose not to.

It's their own fault for tying the franchise to a console whose owners don't care about it.

VII Remake and XVI killed the series for me. After a decade of them spinning their wheels with adolescent trash like XIII and XV they finally had a chance to do something right and all we got was more adolescent trash. That's all this repulsive studio knows how to do anymore unfortunately.

Scotty W

So are we going to ignore the fact that FF7:Remake sold almost 9 million copies? Why would any gaming company not listen to those sales?
They spent way too much money on it, it took way too long. The profit margin is probably infinitesimal. The risk is too great for such a reward. And now they are caught in a trap of producing increasingly expensive sequels for increasingly small returns.

They could have reduced the risk substantially if they had not released all those trash FF7 stories which cheapened the mystique of 7. No one walks away from that 7 movie liking Cloud more.

The story is 90’s gnostic fart huffing jank. We didn’t realize it in the 90’s, because it was text and we were young, but to quote Harrison Ford, “You can write this shit George, but you sure as hell can’t say it.”

noshten

It's pretty clear which Square Enix games have not targeted Nintendo platforms, Final Fantasy is obviously there and Sony has secured exclusivity for it into next gen. What this likely means is that the XVI is likely to have below 800K physical sales.

Overall the PlayStation exclusive games will have trouble not severally declining in Japan. Until they become niche on the market.

It's like the most obvious result of a bad strategic alignment Square Enix made with the PlayStation for their "AAA" games

PlayStation 5 is irrelevant in Japan and likely active PC user-base now is bigger than the active PS5 audience in the country. Square not having a day-one port to PC is probably the thing that hurt them most, followed by the lack of PlayStation 4 version. Despite it's age PS4 is still the saving grace for some pubs that continue to support if they had gone full PS5 exclusive they would have been in hot water.

Still it's good that Final Fantasy franchise is above niche status, most PlayStation 5 exclusive titles are never going to reach 200K physical in Japan. Currently outside of bundled games like GT7 / SM2 which cost $2 on the second hand market only Hogwarts Legacy will probably surpass 200K. I've said it for a long time but a lot of franchises will become irrelevant in Japan because of their publishers being allergic to what is actually popular in their home nation. Final Fantasy is a cautionary tale and hope Capcom is taking notes for Monster Hunter...

Last edited:
Direct sequels of single player games tend to lose customers, as people who didn't play the first title tend to avoid the 2nd. This then get customers who love a certain franchise angry, when a studio said they are not interested in making a sequel to something due to projected lack of profitability.

You can only avoid this by making every sequel stand alone like with Assassins Creed, Dragon Quest, etc.

Kokoloko85

Oh well, they will tie their largest franchise to one console and let it flounder there, it's their own fault.

They mostly released Final Fantasy games on a single platform for there launch.

FF1-6 NES/SNES
FF7-9 PS1
FFX/ FFXII PS2

Japan just isnt as interested in non portable games. Look at the difference between Wii U and Switch console and games sold.

The latest Yakuza and Persona games are on multiple platforms and I dont think they sold more than FF16.
Also this is just physical sales, not digital

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

But.. I thought the install base really mattered /s

There's something wrong with Final Fantasy and it's that it's not selling what it should. And this should have sold more than FF15 and FF16.

If only there were a way to release the same game across multiple platforms to sell more copies..

Doubt Switch could handle this game.
PC barely does physical retail games….
And Xbox doesn’t have much presence in Japan.

So neither platform would of made a difference to how many physical copies the game sells in Japan.

Did you think before posting at all? Or just spouting the usual anti exclusive nonsense Xbox and PC gamers constantly do now

Neofire

Once you factor in install base comparedto the ps4. Rebirth has and will do very well.

However I already see where this narrative is going from the people that are continuously harping on the sales comparison lol.

Woopah

It's like the most obvious result of a bad strategic alignment Square Enix made with the PlayStation for their "AAA" games

PlayStation 5 is irrelevant in Japan and likely active PC user-base now is bigger than the active PS5 audience in the country. Square not having a day-one port to PC is probably the thing that hurt them most, followed by the lack of PlayStation 4 version. Despite it's age PS4 is still the saving grace for some pubs that continue to support if they had gone full PS5 exclusive they would have been in hot water.

Still it's good that Final Fantasy franchise is above niche status, most PlayStation 5 exclusive titles are never going to reach 200K physical in Japan. Currently outside of bundled games like GT7 / SM2 which cost $2 on the second hand market only Hogwarts Legacy will probably surpass 200K. I've said it for a long time but a lot of franchises will become irrelevant in Japan because of their publishers being allergic to what is actually popular in their home nation. Final Fantasy is a cautionary tale and hope Capcom is taking notes for Monster Hunter...
Monster Hunter is at least coming to PC, and I do think the franchise will be on Switch 2 in some form.
Japan just isnt as interested in non portable games. Look at the difference between Wii U and Switch console and games sold.
That's not a good metric to use, otherwise we would say every country isn't interested in non portable games.

Some non-portable games have done pretty well in Japan.
Once you factor in install base comparedto the ps4. Rebirth has and will do very well.

However I already see where this narrative is going from the people that are continuously harping on the sales comparison lol.
Final Fantasy has done noticeably more on smaller userbases.

Hero_Select

The port begging has gotten nasty as of late on GAF.
I have a PS5 friend
Doubt Switch could handle this game.
PC barely does physical retail games….
And Xbox doesn’t have much presence in Japan.

So neither platform would of made a difference to how many physical copies the game sells in Japan.

Did you think before posting at all? Or just spouting the usual anti exclusive nonsense Xbox and PC gamers constantly do now
I like how your only PC explanation is waved off as "PC doesn't have physical releases anymore so obviously that's a point off".

Lmfao.

You're hyperfixated on the physical sales. I'm talking about the sales of FF7 as a whole and another 3-4 million gained by releasing on other platforms sure would help it sell more.

I have a PS5. I don't care if it comes to Xbox but square enix is a weird company that expects the the most and constantly falls flat on their faces and wonder why their games don't sell as well as they want them to.

FF should be a franchise where selling 10million plus isn't some lofty goal

Comprende?

Ozzie666

Long as it sells well enough world wide so the conclusion is made ;)

I keep wondering what the target audience for this game is in Japan or if younger gamers who are into mobile gaming, have the attention span for such an epic long game.
Maybe games like Persona are a better indication for these types of game sales. Final Fantasy and Dragon's Quest aren't what they once were, no longer the spectacles. FF on PS1 was an institution and Square at it's peak.

Kokoloko85

I have a PS5 friend

I like how your only PC explanation is waved off as "PC doesn't have physical releases anymore so obviously that's a point off".

Lmfao.

You're hyperfixated on the physical sales. I'm talking about the sales of FF7 as a whole and another 3-4 million gained by releasing on other platforms sure would help it sell more.

I have a PS5. I don't care if it comes to Xbox but square enix is a weird company that expects the the most and constantly falls flat on their faces and wonder why their games don't sell as well as they want them to.

FF should be a franchise where selling 10million plus isn't some lofty goal

Comprende?

Maybe because thats what the thread is about…. Retail physical copies sold in Japan… This isnt about overall numbers in Japan (Physical and Digital) or worldwide sales.

Im replying to people saying it should have gone multiplatform for better success. Going multiplatform wouldnt have made much difference in physical retail copies sold in Japan because the Switch can’t play games like this

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Remember how gamers begged 2 decades for a remake?

This should be a lesson to game makers. Gamers do not know what they want. Do not listen to them.
"pls square gib FFVII remake"
"Ok, here it is."
"Yay!"
"Do you like it?"
"....this isn't a remake but some weird reimagining?"
"Indeed. Cool aye?"
"Yeah.... uh.... this is just the first part.....?"
"Ya, you begged so much we decided to make it a 3 part series spanning 10 years of releases. We'll probably make some extra additional part at some point too."
"....nice.... i guess.... wait, is that pokemon with guns? Sweet!"
"Where are you going player? Why aren't you buying our gaems?"

Last edited:

Belthazar

The thing is, Square is seemingly aware of FF's decline and budgeting accordingly. I mean, Rebirth was developed in 3 years, which is very short for a AAA titlw.

iorek21

Maybe in the long run the numbers will be better. Seems like people are avoiding day one purchases nowadays.

Word of mouth and discounts are turning into a bigger factor.

Top Bottom