• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFCC: The Crystal Bearers Website (Releasing NA 26.12.09)

Vinci

Danish
Dascu said:
Prologue looked pretty awesome.

It made me a little giddy. It's like watching some anime that you know is going to be kick-ass from start to finish, then get really sad at the end.

:D

=(

Vinci

Danish
Dascu said:
Speaking of anime, it reminded me of Last Exile. And that's a veeeeery good thing.

If only they'd gone with Range Murata for the character designs. These are good, but Murata is an artistic god.

Yazus

I am very skeptical about this game. I loved to death the Multiplayer of Crystal Chronicles, and this game being single player got me really skeptical. I dont know... I'm going to buy this for sure, if it comes to EU, bit I want to be fresh for this. I'm not going to watch any trailers or things like that, only reviews.

Oh, and its confirmed to not have Multiplayer or there are chances to have a minor Multiplayer mode storyless like Ring of Fates?

If the prologue is like the rest of the game (Layle's attitude in particular), I'll be happy.

That one cutscene is better than any of the cutscenes out of SO4.

Yazus said:
Oh, and its confirmed to not have Multiplayer or there are chances to have a minor Multiplayer mode storyless like Ring of Fates?
It's going to have something minor but I mean really minor. Sounds like something along the lines of what Mario Galaxy had where you can help player one out. So sorry, no Multiplayer stuff like the original games.

Vinci

Danish
ShockingAlberto said:
If the prologue is like the rest of the game (Layle's attitude in particular), I'll be happy.

That one cutscene is better than any of the cutscenes out of SO4.

Good god, the English voice actors better not screw this up. Seriously, please let me just play it with English subtitles - I don't want to take a chance.

The attitude is awesome.

Combine

Banned
Sasuke's voice? Hah! Now we've got another role for Yuri Lowenthal. :lol

Seriously though, Layle is a real badass in an ocean of non-interesting JRPG protagonists. I can't wait to see more.

Vinci

Danish
AceBandage said:
Layle: *shoots bird thinks, "Hmm, screw it, I don't need a gun."

He's like, the opposite of Master Chief.
:p

I thought it only had one shot and he'd have to reload it, and was like, "Yeah, fuck that."

youzen

Man, the music on the Japanese site is awesome. I'm not too keen on some the character designs (mainly Jegran - maybe it's just the hair that is throwing it off for me), but I can live with them -- so that's not a big deal. Anyway, I'm officially hyped for this game now. They sure are showing a lot of media for the game when no mention of a release date has been heard (unless I've missed something)...

Please come out in 2009 (worldwide)... It's not going to happen though, is it?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
youzen said:
Please come out in 2009 (worldwide)... It's not going to happen though, is it?

I think its certainly a possibility. I'm positive it will be out in Japan, and the nature of the website unveiling makes me think it might be pretty much simultaneous world wide.

Rpgmonkey

This game looks like it'll be interesting.

Seems pretty lighthearted and charming, like FFV, instead of how the other upcoming FF games kinda are. And V is my favorite one, so this is welcome in my book. :D

Vinci

Danish
AceBandage said:
Non emo character: Check

This, on its own, makes me so happy. Praise Layle, he's got me interested in a FF game again. Seriously, if all the Crystal Bearer games (I'm assuming this will be a new franchise) have leads this appealing, I'm totally damn on-board.

Linkup

Loved it when the camera moved in as he reloaded and let his cannon go, perfect way to lead into an awesome air battle.

jrricky

Banned
The trailer was really well done. I cant tell you guys how much I think it is refreshing that square made a game with a guy lead that doesnt look like a girl. Oh and that website music is Great. I really hope its the title screen music.

That prologue was fucking awesome!:lol

I hope the entire game is littered with moments like this. I want Layle to be a confident hero throughout the majority of the game.

Thunder Monkey said:
That prologue was fucking awesome!:lol

I hope the entire game is littered with moments like this. I want Layle to be a confident hero throughout the majority of the game.

You just know that there's going to be some period mid-story where Layle makes a mistake and loses his confidence and turns emo for several hours. :(

Rpgmonkey said:
This game looks like it'll be interesting.

Seems pretty lighthearted and charming, like FFV, instead of how the other upcoming FF games kinda are. And V is my favorite one, so this is welcome in my book. :D

IX had a lighthearted and charming adventure story. And it also had a non emo protagonist.
Yitan (Zidane) was not so cool as what we have seen of Layle, but he also went in that direction.

Vinci

Danish
EmCeeGramr said:
You just know that there's going to be some period mid-story where Layle makes a mistake and loses his confidence and turns emo for several hours. :(

I'll stop playing the thing and take it back to the store then and there. I'm sick of the emo bullshit. Had enough of it. Keep it in the mainline FF series where Nomura gets his jollies.

EmCeeGramr said:
I can deal with it if the game is fairly long.

I'm not exactly an obsessive FF player, so it won't mean much to me if he goes emo for a bit.

For the record I've played FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX. And I've never beaten them. It was never the stories that irritated me, but the basic gameplay style.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Screenboy said:
i wish he was the main character :(
no you don't, because then he'd be emo. he's grade A prime character design for someone who's not as confident as Layle. that's why he's the sidekick, because you can't look like that kind of bishie and get away with being a confident awesomehole. no, you have to be "American bishie" which is essentially the Male Adonis look with a more ordinarily proportioned body without the ridiculous rippling muscle. i mean look at him, he's blond with blue eyes and and has a chain mail jacket. he's about a centimeter from the suave biker. all he needs is that mail to go to leather and a crotch rocket. Keiss wears sandles. FUCKING SANDLES!

no, Keiss can't be the main character, he's far to sidekick in his appearance.

Meesh

lol Nice, his fashion suggests otherwise, but Layle's a bad ass through and through, an apathetic in your face character.:D

My take:

Layle hauls out an impossibly huge gun, fires a round, killing one of the monsters and gaining the interest of the others with his recklessness. Now that the trap is set, he tosses the gun and flies off, luring the monsters from the ship. Taking the bait, Layle no doubt kicks their ass with his telekinetic crystal bearing powers.

(attitude) "...I'm the one you should be worried about...come and get it bitches!"

doomed1 said:
...he's about a centimeter from the suave biker. all he needs is that mail to go to leather and a crotch rocket. Keiss wears sandles. FUCKING SANDLES!

Well, I don't know about suave biker, but his get up pretty much suggests that he's untouchable, the chain mail being the "I dare you" part...yeah, overconfident and obviously flawed FF biker.

Keiss wearing sandals...Jesus wore 'em and walked on water, who knows what Keiss is capable of? That said, definitely not main character stuff...

Now that I think about, (just woke up) If we were to compare Layle to Cloud, as far as story driven game characters, I'd prefer to play as Layle.(so far)

Cloud's a jaded, brooding, emo. The, "I don't wanna play soldier anymore", angst filled type who can't remember his past...His supporting cast really makes up who Cloud is, what drives him to care, the loss of Aeris in my mind being the single biggest plot point in the game. At this point, Cloud not only stands as a legitimate character, but one we can identify with, one who seeks the revenge we only dream about. There's quite a bit of this in anime, which might add to my bias...I need something new?

Layle. From the outset we can tell he's cocky,( I despise cocky people btw) and recently been given a job which he feels is beneath him. He's too good at what he does to be reduced to a simple guard, but probably needs the coin. Or, the Kingdom has lead a relatively peaceful reign, until this point. Rumors of an evil force planning an attack might rope Layle into this position as well. His boss(?) Keiss, seems to cramp the adventurous, carefree style lifestyle a Crystal Bearer is (was?) accustomed to. This will probably lead to a cross roads where he gives up his freedom for people he becomes attached to. Hopefully this pays off at the end and nobody dies *looks at Cloud*...I actually have an urge to play this character, just to see how he turns around :D

Meesh

Just wanted to post this:

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/04/26/up-to-speed-final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-the-crystal-bearers/

Some stuff I haven't noticed before, scans I haven't seen, they look pretty good.

Also, this game sounds more and more like Zelda in terms of it being a single player experience, not turn based, more of an adventure with RPG stuff added...which is fine by me :D It's a real departure from other FFs.

Crystal Bearers is directed by Toshiyuki Itahana, who is credited for character design for Final Fantasy IX. He later went on to design the various races for the Crystal Chronicles games. Itahana-san has also done artwork for Square’s Final Fantasy Fables games. Akitoshi Kawazu, director of the Romancing SaGa games is the game’s scenario writer.

Loved the character designs for IX, explains why I enjoy CBs...

You can influence other objects and people within the game as well, and depending on how much of a lunatic you are around townspeople, they’ll react to you in different ways (women and guards for example). You can use this ability to open doors, jump across wide gaps, throw people around and even control enemies.

Oh, I plan on being as big a lunatic as posible.

EDIT: Most of this stuff has been seen already, lol, sunday mornings...

TreIII

EmCeeGramr said:

Hush! :lol

I'm hoping that, just for once, SE can have a hero that can basically be more along the lines of a Capcom hero like Gene the God Hand, where he stays pretty much the same way from start to finish, even if he DOES get the rug pulled over his eyes once or twice. That much shouldn't stop him from being the "sup" guy he's portraying himself to be.

Not being an angst case would make this game even more refreshing, as if it already isn't.

Speaking of which, I would totally recommend Beng Spies (Gene) for being Layle in an English dub. Watching Layle in that prologue, it really made it seem like they needed a guy who was as laid back as Gene.

Meesh

TreIII said:
I'm hoping that, just for once, SE can have a hero that can basically be more along the lines of a Capcom hero like Gene the God Hand, where he stays pretty much the same way from start to finish, even if he DOES get the rug pulled over his eyes once or twice. That much shouldn't stop him from being the "sup" guy he's portraying himself to be.

What!? Wouldn't that make for an extremely boring character?

I haven't played God Hand, but a lead guy who stays the same sounds really flat...and what's worse, staying the same even through plot points, or as you say " having rug pulled over his eyes once or twice", is grossly negligent considering how a character should evolve.

For the love of god Square, do not do this. Give us something we haven't seen before!!!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Who the hell is composing for this game? The tune on the website is amazing :D

Edit:
Crystal Bearers is directed by Toshiyuki Itahana, who is credited for character design for Final Fantasy IX.
Awesome!

Screenboy

doomed1 said:
no you don't, because then he'd be emo. he's grade A prime character design for someone who's not as confident as Layle. that's why he's the sidekick, because you can't look like that kind of bishie and get away with being a confident awesomehole. no, you have to be "American bishie" which is essentially the Male Adonis look with a more ordinarily proportioned body without the ridiculous rippling muscle. i mean look at him, he's blond with blue eyes and and has a chain mail jacket. he's about a centimeter from the suave biker. all he needs is that mail to go to leather and a crotch rocket. Keiss wears sandles. FUCKING SANDLES!

no, Keiss can't be the main character, he's far to sidekick in his appearance.

Layle looks like his favourite TV programs Bargin Hunt and likes spinach

Akai

Easy_D said:
Who the hell is composing for this game? The tune on the website is amazing :D

Hidenori Iwasaki...He helped Kumi Tanioka a bit in the first Crystal Chronicles, but he's mostly known for his Front Mission stuff...

EmCeeGramr said:
Oh, definitely. Even Zidane had that, though it ended as abruptly as it started.

Zanasea

Also, the soundtrack will be co-composed by Ryo Yamazaki. Note: this guy is great. By the way, those who wonder if Iwasaki is good, please listen to "Deliverance" from Front Mission 5.

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh, definitely. Even Zidane had that, though it ended as abruptly as it started.

It always seemed strange for me that he was called Zidane in the american (and also the japanese?) versions. I like it better the european name, Yitan, as it seems more magical-medieval, and Zidane reminds me always of him:
zinedine-zidane.jpg

Yuck!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Zanasea said:
Also, the soundtrack will be co-composed by Ryo Yamazaki. Note: this guy is great. By the way, those who wonder if Iwasaki is good, please listen to "Deliverance" from Front Mission 5.
Wow, amazing track.

So Crystal Bearers is pretty much confirmed to have godlike music.

Top Bottom