• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV and the mismarketing in its trailers. Discuss! (spoilers).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think it was totally reasonable to expect the content Tabata showed off in his trailers to represent the final game. After all, they made a big deal about the shift in direction and much of this footage was used heavily in their monthly Active Time Report broadcasts - assuring fans about the progress of the game. The Dawn trailer in particular was shown at three major industry events in 2015.

I know it's nitpicking but I really like how the last scene of King's Glaive doesn't match with FFXV's opening : in the final scene, we see Prompto driving the car just before they ran out of gas. The game starts right after this, and while pushing the car, Prompto asks Ignis if he can drive the car... assuming he never did.
I think the car broke down whilst he was at the wheel.

In the beginning cutscene of the duscae demo there is dialogue that may support this. Sadly some of the character stuff / cutscenes from the demo didn't make it into the game either

HeelPower

I think it was totally reasonable to expect the content Tabata showed off in his trailers to represent the final game. After all, they made a big deal about the shift in direction and much of this footage was used heavily in their monthly Active Time Report broadcasts - assuring fans about the progress of the game. The Dawn trailer in particular was shown at three major industry events in 2015.

I feel like a lot of the changes were made "just cuz" without any strong basis behind them.

That's what is really bothering me.They didn't actually take this into some wildly different but equally creative directive direction.They just neutered everything.

I didn't mean 'comes close' in terms of quality. I meant it in terms of similarity. Sorry if that was confusing.

EDIT: It's also kinda ironic that the whole point of my post goes against your reading of it.

I think what you said is that the old format provided a kind of experience that's unreasonable to expect by modern standards due to sheer man power demands.

I disagreed with that.Because I think these experiences have already been outdone in every way by modern games.In terms of quality,quantity,depth every aspect.

JP

You know what, you've convinced me. You are absolutely right - its not Squeenix's fault at all — its ours...
And yet, the game was exactly the game that I handed over money for.

People can choose how to buy whatever they want and it's not of my business which why they choose to do that but if people are wanting to use old trailers as the sole basis for purchasing a game then I would suggest that it's not a risk that I would want to take.
- you know there are legal reasons commercials have to specifically state what you see doesn't depict the final product, right?
I'm assuming that as you've quoted me that you're referring to something that I actually said? If so, in relation to what I did say, are you suggesting that Square Enix is breach of the law in how they've sold this game? Any chance that you could share which laws they're in breach of which the trailers shown in the OP?

I ask because I'm almost 100% sure the if it was so, then there would have been sued long before this thread was started and it would have been posted on here.

I understand that people may not appreciate with what what they've bought but I not many people weren't at all confused by the product that they were handing over money for. What could differentiate between the people who did understand what they were buying and the people who didn't? After all, I'd assume that the information on the game that was publicly available, was available to both parties equally.

I'm not talking specifically talking about games here but people can be terrible at buying things without considering the available information. I'm sure I'm probably looking at the lowest common denominator on there so I don't think it represents all purchasers, but you only have to read reviews on places like Amazon to see that people often don't read the description of items that they buy then complain about the items because it's not what they wanted it to be, even though the description of the item is completely accurate.

In all honesty, if you do feel that there are legal issues with the way that you were sold Final Fantasy XV then I do sincerely suggest that you pursue that via the correct means and I sincerely wish you the best of luck when you do that.

Neff

I was absolutely stunned to find so little of what I expected in the final game. I was particularly looking forward to this part

m0G4FU.jpg

I enjoyed parts of the game, but it's terribly paced (I estimate half of my 60hr play time was spent waiting for loading screens, car journeys, or running from A to B without event), extremely repetitive, and between the game feeling so unfinished and literally divided between a game and two animated movies, the experience has overall been a bit of a blue balls disaster. FFXIII wasn't perfect but It felt complete, focused, and satisfying, none of which I can say about FFXV.

I really hope Square gets its act together for XVI.

CaramelMarx

Neo Member
I think what you said is that the old format provided a kind of experience that's unreasonable to expect by modern standards due to sheer man power demands.

... I think these experiences have already been outdone in every way by modern games.In terms of quality,quantity,depth every aspect.

Gotcha! I'd agree with you, and I'd also agree that nostalgia is a big part of the problem it seems we're both describing; with a minor caveat. I try not to judge retro games by today's standards - as much as I try not to let nostalgia bias me in the other direction. I'd disagree if you're saying today's games are absolutely superior - though they're undeniably more sophisticated technologically. Rather, I see different 'ages' of gaming as simply separate periods that preclude easy comparison.

yunbuns

Yeah, but it's clear that it wasn't originally drawn with Luna in mind. Not only because Luna wasn't even a character when it was made, but also because Luna has a minor role in the plot and isn't "deserving" of being the sole person on the game's normal logo (the ending suggests that the devs felt the same way). The logo lady is also sleeping, which makes a lot of sense with Etro (who was regularly described as sleepy) and very little sense within the plot/themes of XV.

Basically, if the Versus XIII logo doesn't fit the game, then give the game a different logo. Don't market it with a logo that you know doesn't fit the game just so you can piggyback on some other game's hype.

If the Versus leaks are true
Noctis was supposed to go to sleep in the afterlife with Stella at the end too so it does still fit the game.
Why would they change the logo when XV was announced when Nomura was still the director? Plus not everyone sat and analyzed everything about Versus like people do here. Versus is dead yet some of you all still seem way to attached.

CaramelMarx

Neo Member
I was absolutely stunned to find so little of what I expected in the final game.

I enjoyed parts of the game, but it's terribly paced (I estimate half of my 60hr play time was spent waiting for loading screens, car journeys, or running from A to B without event), extremely repetitive, and between the game feeling so unfinished and literally divided between a game and two animated movies, the experience has overall been a bit of a blue balls disaster. FFXIII wasn't perfect but It felt complete, focused, and satisfying, none of which I can say about FFXV.

I really hope Square gets its act together for XVI.

It's interesting to see how the Skyrim model continues to produce such a wide variety of responses. Our experiences couldn't be less similar, but we played the same game. I think that says something about how hard it is for modern sandbox games to satisfy any large majority of its players. Even as someone who enjoyed it more than you seemingly did, I'll agree it was pretty fragmented. XV is way more about the 'experience' or 'journey' than the story, which I don't think most of us anticipated.

JaseMath

If you think about it, it's not like the story of FFXV is super complicated. Why the game makes it seem like it is ruins the story aspect of it. Actually, it ruins the game.

I'd be more inclined to get outraged if the game wasn't packed with at least 100 hours of genuinely worthwhile content.

The dungeons, the hunts, the quests, the postgame secrets, optional bosses...

It might not be what story-centric FF fans wanted, but those who prioritize gameplay and unique content couldn't have asked for a better product. At 126 hours for the platinum, I felt like my $60 was very well spent.

How is this mismarketng? That's not malice or deceit. That's just the nature of a troubled development. It's the same with movies or other games that had a struggle through their development.

Skinpop

i don't think it's misleading marketing as much as it is awful marketing.

Tabata straight up said that they wanted to make a "world-class" RPG. I don't know what else that could mean except "we wanted to prove we could hang with Bethesda/CDPR/Bioware".

it means they have no clue what a good rpg is.

The Witcher 3 far,faar exceeds anything those FFs of old has achieved.Scale of world,story depth,variety of content,you name it has been bettered completely.

I think people need to wake up & remove the nostalgia goggles..
and I still think w3 just isn't a good game. it does nothing for me. scale and ambition isn't the same as being fun to play.

HeelPower

Gotcha! I'd agree with you, and I'd also agree that nostalgia is a big part of the problem it seems we're both describing; with a minor caveat. I try not to judge retro games by today's standards - as much as I try not to let nostalgia bias me in the other direction. I'd disagree if you're saying today's games are absolutely superior - though they're undeniably more sophisticated technologically. Rather, I see different 'ages' of gaming as simply separate periods that preclude easy comparison.

What was FFXV's ultimate problem ?

I honestly think FFXV's problem was just poor direction and lack of a strong vision backing and unifying this into something great.

The game had no problem with tech,budget or skilled manpower.It was all there,but it was all under very poor,uninspired direction.Bad writing,glaringly bad game design decisions plague this game.

But it had a fuckton of effort dedicated into it.Presumably like no other japanese game out there.Everything was in place to produce something great.

And that is a shame.

Adaren

If the Versus leaks are true
Noctis was supposed to go to sleep in the afterlife with Stella at the end too so it does still fit the game.
Why would they change the logo when XV was announced when Nomura was still the director? Plus not everyone sat and analyzed everything about Versus like people do here. Versus is dead yet some of you all still seem way to attached.

I don't think I'm overly attached to Versus. If anything, I'm annoyed that they didn't drop the logo as soon as they realized they were cutting any significant plot connection that it could have to XV. If people went into this game expecting Versus, then Square Enix was only making the situation worse by marketing the game with the Versus logo.

Like, if they want to make a different game than Versus, with different characters and a different story, and they think that it ought to have a different logo, then that's fine. But at least have the honesty to put the game's actual logo on the box.

Infest

I have another question for you guys: none of the footage, gameplay, menus, mechanics, or even visual design of this early trailer for Metal Gear Solid (PSX) made it into the game, but to me it seems inaccurate to call it false advertising. Is the FF XV 'mismarketing' any different?

mgear-2.jpg

It's not about stuff from early announcement/concept trailers that didn't make it into the game (which would be understandable) but pretty much every trailer throughout the course of the 3.5 year wait since its re-reveal as Final Fantasy XV was full of scenes that didn't represent the game. They were promoting a "concept" and not a game up to a point where it's just unaccaptable.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah, its a shame most of the FF15 trailers have stuff that is not in the game period. I don't put the E3 2013 trailer at Tabata or the staff's feet, but everything after that is just a shame.

But i think development on this project was very hectic in the last few years anyways, so those of us expecting, but hoping against a swiss cheese game were kinda always going to be right in the end.

As Kagari said above. I don't think deflecting is good. The game coming out in the state that it did was unfortunate, for whatever reason Tabata and his staff could not get things together despite cutting out huge portions of things, and changing entire events into different types of media(movies anime ect) and not even including important info into the game itself, like the Promptp thing in the guidebook

sonicmj1

How is this mismarketng? That's not malice or deceit. That's just the nature of a troubled development. It's the same with movies or other games that had a struggle through their development.

To pick an example from another industry, basically nothing from Rogue One's early trailers is in the final cut of the movie, and it doesn't seem to bother people that much.

And yet, the game was exactly the game that I handed over money for.

People can choose how to buy whatever they want and it's not of my business which why they choose to do that but if people are wanting to use old trailers as the sole basis for purchasing a game then I would suggest that it's not a risk that I would want to take.

I'm gonna clarify this so its clear, but I'm not one of those who have been waiting since Versus XIII and sad the game isn't Norma's vision or whatever (I was an Xbox guy last gen). I'm someone who saw the major announcement trailer that got a lot of people who wouldn't normally play FF hyped for XV in the first place. To its TGS trailer and Jump Festa trailers the following year, to its Dawn trailer last year. I've watched a few others and seen some stuff they revealed publicly via the ATRs - all of which contained scenes that aren't in the game.

The whole purpose of the marketing media is to provide a depiction of the game that gets people interested - by showing them parts of what they can expect if they buy the product. If you weren't interested in the media then thats fine, but don't be obtuse and make out as if people are somehow at fault for being interested in whats shown to them and expecting to see it in the game.

I'm assuming that as you've quoted me that you're referring to something that I actually said? If so, in relation to what I did say, are you suggesting that Square Enix is breach of the law in how they've sold this game? Any chance that you could share which laws they're in breach of which the trailers shown in the OP?

I ask because I'm almost 100% sure the if it was so, then there would have been sued long before this thread was started and it would have been posted on here.

I understand that people may not appreciate with what what they've bought but I not many people weren't at all confused by the product that they were handing over money for. What could differentiate between the people who did understand what they were buying and the people who didn't? After all, I'd assume that the information on the game that was publicly available, was available to both parties equally.

I'm not talking specifically talking about games here but people can be terrible at buying things without considering the available information. I'm sure I'm probably looking at the lowest common denominator on there so I don't think it represents all purchasers, but you only have to read reviews on places like Amazon to see that people often don't read the description of items that they buy then complain about the items because it's not what they wanted it to be, even though the description of the item is completely accurate.

In all honesty, if you do feel that there are legal issues with the way that you were sold Final Fantasy XV then I do sincerely suggest that you pursue that via the correct means and I sincerely wish you the best of luck when you do that.

The exact regulations vary by region - but some examples from the UK: Sale of goods: Marketing & advertising law
and from the US: FTC: Truth In Advertising
When consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence. The Federal Trade Commission enforces these truth-in-advertising laws, and it applies the same standards no matter where an ad appears – in newspapers and magazines, online, in the mail, or on billboards or buses.

I have no interest in pursuing legal challenges because:
1) like most people I have more important things to do with my time - this is the real reason most of these thing never end up in legal challenges. What happened with NMS for example, is the exception and not the rule.
2) While i have no problem pointing it's flaws - it doesn't mean i didn't enjoy the game
3) tbh I've already moved on from playing it and will come back to it when this patch content they announced is available

People aren't confused by what they bought. They knew what FFXV was intended to be and they bought into that. The whole reason this thread exists though is because of the legitmate sentiment that people expect to see what's in the marketed media (that isn't disclaimered), show up in the product & FFXV feels like a game where a lot of stuff that was in there has been taken out

To pick an example from another industry, basically nothing from Rogue One's early trailers is in the final cut of the movie, and it doesn't seem to bother people that much.

I haven't seen R1 yet, but does it feel like parts of its story and delivery are lacking? The rumours were saying it had extensive rewrites because Disney didn't think it wasn't good enough. If it has changed but still delivers a coherent and satisfying product then people are unlikely to be disappointed. Can the same be said for FFXV?

Inuhanyou

I don't think what bothers people is specifically that footage from earlier trailer is missing. Its that the footage that is missing kind of looks like footage that could have expanded upon the final result that we got which was, any way you slice it, a disappointing incomplete mess.

The dawn trailer shows a Luna backstory and hints at something or someone in the empire having a vendetta against her, a plot point that does not exist in FF15, a game in which Luna has only a handful of scenes and generally no development whatsoever in addition to the empire itself being almost nonexistent.

If the game had actually been complete in terms of its feeling, nobody would generally be questioning earlier trailers and the footage missing. But the game content as it is clearly gives a feeling of something missing and cut out, which is what i was afraid would be the case.

It's not about stuff from early announcement/concept trailers that didn't make it into the game (which would be understandable) but pretty much every trailer throughout the course of the 3.5 year wait since its re-reveal as Final Fantasy XV was full of scenes that didn't represent the game. They were promoting a "concept" and not a game up to a point where it's just unaccaptable.
No, they were promoting the game as it was and/or planned to be at the time. Stuff gets cut. If it doesn't work, doesn't mesh right, too expensive to implement properly, changes direction due to a new director, etc, etc, it's left on the cutting room floor. It's like asking a writer while they're working on their draft how exactly the final published copy will turn out; they can only tell you what they hope it to be and go by what they have at the time.

IE Stephen King cut 400 pages from The Stand.

I don't think what bothers people is specifically that footage from earlier trailer is missing. Its that the footage that is missing kind of looks like footage that could have expanded upon the final result that we got which was, any way you slice it, a disappointing incomplete mess.

The dawn trailer shows a Luna backstory and hints at something or someone in the empire having a vendetta against her, a plot point that does not exist in FF15, a game in which Luna has only a handful of scenes and generally no development whatsoever in addition to the empire itself being almost nonexistent.
Things doesn't get cut, plot points doesn't get removed or reduced, for no reason or to mislead and trick or to anger fans.

Infest

No, they were promoting the game as it was and/or planned to be at the time. Stuff gets cut. If it doesn't work, doesn't mesh right, too expensive to implement properly, changes direction due to a new director, etc, etc, it's left on the cutting room floor. It's like asking a writer while they're working on their draft how exactly the final published copy will turn out; they can only tell you what they hope it to be and go by what they have at the time.

IE Stephen King cut 400 pages from The Stand.

And I don't blame them for willingly misleading anyone but it's just the result of a development/production desaster like no other and I really hope they've learned their lesson. Other companies also show work in progress stuff that didn't make it into the final product but never to that extend. I've never heard of a game that changes and cuts important story details that were already publicly shown like ~6 months before launch. .. *smh*

Cynar

I don't think I'm overly attached to Versus. If anything, I'm annoyed that they didn't drop the logo as soon as they realized they were cutting any significant plot connection that it could have to XV. If people went into this game expecting Versus, then Square Enix was only making the situation worse by marketing the game with the Versus logo.

Like, if they want to make a different game than Versus, with different characters and a different story, and they think that it ought to have a different logo, then that's fine. But at least have the honesty to put the game's actual logo on the box.
you may need to self reflect to see it. Many on GAF seem to be very attached to it and are still unable to let go.

RobRSG

I have another question for you guys: none of the footage, gameplay, menus, mechanics, or even visual design of this early trailer for Metal Gear Solid (PSX) made it into the game, but to me it seems inaccurate to call it false advertising. Is the FF XV 'mismarketing' any different?

mgear-2.jpg

Cherrypick masterpieces in order to defend a bad game, for me that's the new estabilished standard for low:

• First comparing Leviathan Battle to Zone of the Enders 2 gameplay.
    No chance in hell I can accept this kind of crap.
  • Now comparing the MGS concept trailers to FFXV.
    Aside from the CGI looks, unfinished menus and camera angles, what more do you loose in the final game? I don't think the comparison is even fair. God, look at the Leviathan section, Cor dialogue and etc.

Inuhanyou

Things doesn't get cut, plot points doesn't get removed or reduced, for no reason or to mislead and trick or to anger fans.

I didn't say they did. I said that those cuts or edits happend and that the cuts show blatantly in the final product, and that's a shame.

LordKasual

Banned

It's a logo...FF7 and FF8's logo significance doesn't show up until over half way into the story. FF9's doesn't show up until literally the last hour of the game. XII not until right before the final section.

If the logo rubs you the wrong way...yeah, you're waaaay more attached to Versus than probably 98% of the people who played this game.

But that's alot of Gaf, too. So yeah.

Adaren

you may need to self reflect to see it. Many on GAF seem to be very attached to it and are still unable to let go.

It's a logo...FF7 and FF8's logo significance doesn't show up until over half way into the story. FF9's doesn't show up until literally the last hour of the game. XII not until right before the final section.

If the logo rubs you the wrong way...yeah, you're waaaay more attached to Versus than probably 98% of the people who played this game.

But that's alot of Gaf, too. So yeah.

Well I guess I can add "You're overly attached to Versus" to the list of vague ad hominems that are used to distract from criticism of FFXV (the others being "You need to pay attention to the cutscenes" and "You don't understand the intricacies of the combat").

I'm arguing that they should have changed the logo, not changed the plot. I'm arguing that using the logo for Versus was a way of tricking people into thinking that Versus wasn't dead, and having the "true" logo be different than the logo on the box is a form of dishonest marketing masquerading as the world's most boring plot twist (the main character is actually part of the "true" logo? Shocking!!).

Is it the most egregious, despicable marketing trick ever? Certainly not. It's still a little annoying, though, and I don't think it's out of place to mention it in this thread.

I feel like I made those same points in my last post, but whatever. I guess I need to go have a self-reflective conversation with my Stella body pillow or something.

HeelPower

I agree with Adaren on this.

Its not about attachment to Versus its about how they changed pretty much everything yet kept Versus related stuff on the exterior to bank on hungry fans.

They should have changed everything to maintain some integrity & boldness.

But the truth is Tabata never had a truly strong direction for anything,hence the patch work.He's a functional director at best ,but not a creative artist(or not a good fit for this franchise)

JP

maybe I'm wrong but I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not confused about the laws that you mention, I'm confused about how those laws related to what I specifically said.

Although I'd seen the trailers in question before buying the game, when I bought the game the details of what what I was buying were stated on the PSN Store that I was buying it from, they are the details that would stand legally as a part of my purchase because they are what I agreed to when I was buying it.

If one of those trailers had specifically stated "you get this in the final game" and then I didn't get said thing in the final game and I was never informed that I wouldn't be getting it, then I believe that I would have genuine grounds to take action against them because they haven't fulfilled the agreement that we made.

This was all covered, to some extent, in relation to No Man's Sky when people took legal action in the UK against what was shown in the before that game was launched. There was a similar incident in the USA with GTA V when it didn't launch with the previously advertised online mode. I'm probably stretching the connection between the GTA V case and what is being suggested here though.

Unsurprisingly, neither of thee cases was successful and I'm not seeing anything that you're posted here which suggests that this would be treated any differently if somebody did attempt to take it on.

The thing that confuses me more than your suggestion that they are in breach of the law is that fact that you believe that they are but you, in part, "don't have time to deal with it". That is bewildering on a level that I just can't explain. If I felt that somebody had done wrong by me on a legal level, by god, it would be an absolute priority to deal with and deal with it to completion.

Again, I would suggest that if you genuinely feel that you've been lied to by the earlier trailers for Final Fantasy XV then, as you know, there are laws that protect you as a consumer and people really need to be standing up for their rights, even for stuff like this.

I don't think it makes me an expert (it doesn't) but I was a political officer for just over five years and almost every day of that was spent fighting for the rights of people who believed they didn't have the rights that were mandated to them by law. I just don't see anything being presented here that suggests that the law could be involved as you suggested it could.

We have different opinions on this, it's allowed, but I would be happy to see anything that could change my mind about how I feel about suggestion that this is a legal issue. :)

Cherrypick masterpieces in order to defend a bad game, for me that's the new estabilished standard for low:

• First comparing Leviathan Battle to Zone of the Enders 2 gameplay.
    No chance in hell I can accept this kind of crap.
  • Now comparing the MGS concept trailers to FFXV.
    Aside from the CGI looks, unfinished menus and camera angles, what more do you loose in the final game? I don't think the comparison is even fair. God, look at the Leviathan section, Cor dialogue and etc.

I don't know what's worse tbh, this or Lightning's cult. I thought it couldn't get bad like it was with FFXIII fans, but I was wrong.

LordKasual

Banned
Well I guess I can add "You're overly attached to Versus" to the list of vague ad hominems that are used to distract from criticism of FFXV (the others being "You need to pay attention to the cutscenes" and "You don't understand the intricacies of the combat").

I'm arguing that they should have changed the logo, not changed the plot. I'm arguing that using the logo for Versus was a way of tricking people into thinking that Versus wasn't dead, and having the "true" logo be different than the logo on the box is a form of dishonest marketing masquerading as the world's most boring plot twist (the main character is part of the logo? Shocking!!).

I feel like I made those same points in my last post, but whatever. I guess I need to go have a self-reflective conversation with my Stella body pillow or something.

Final Fantasy logos are not particularly significant things by itself, they require context to really understand why it means anything.

People are simply pointing out how crazy biased it sounds to complain about a carried over picture on the title of some vapourware game. It's strange for someone to have an emotional attachment to something that doesn't represent anything.

If you beat Final Fantasy XV (a real game) and instantly felt a swell of anger because it's doing a disservice to something that doesn't exist...

anyway, I dont see the point in complaining about changing the logo when instead they changed the title of the damn game, so for you to feel hoodwinked about Versus XIII is just obsessive

Its not about attachment to Versus its about how they changed pretty much everything yet kept Versus related stuff on the exterior to bank on hungry fans.

But the truth is Tabata never had a truly strong direction for anything,hence the patch work.He's a functional director at best ,but not a creative artist(or not a good fit for this franchise)

Tabata may be "functional at best" when it comes to directing (I can't speak to his other works; FFXV is the only game of his I've played), but it's clear he's an exceptional project manager, and was brought onto the XV project for specifically this purpose.

The notion Square should've dropped everything and started over to "maintain integrity & boldness" is ludicrous; the game would've never released at all. Though I agree they should've revealed the redone logo when the reintroduced the game as XV proper.

_Nemo

Sucks that Versus XIII will never truly be realized. If they were gonna change this much shit up they may as well have made a new game instead of taking existing concepts and characters and shitting on them.

jimmypython

Yep. People (me included) still buy their things. Nothing would change as long as the company is making money. This is the sad truth.

LordKasual

Banned

Why do people presume to know the "direction" or creative vision anyone has for anything in this company?

All this silly artistic talk only ever came about when Nomura left the project, but nobody can ever articulate exactly what his "vision" would amount to with any real clarity. Probably because nobody here actually knows because the project never formally existed until it was rebranded as XV and everything people attribute to "artistic vision" or "direction" had already been destroyed by the company's directive, which was required to push the game out. Artists don't make AAA videogames. Money does.

The option was to either completely can Versus XIII or rebrand it and salvage the work they already put in, which must have been significant. But blaming the shortcomings of the story or completeness of such a massive heelturn from a broken project on the person brought in to fix it is just really, really, aggravatingly misinformed and shortsighted.

Legitimate question, are people here suggesting that Versus XIII would have been better as a canned game that never existed, so people could fawn over the possibility of its greatness in peace? It's like people were SUPER invested in this game's development, but have absolutely no clue how it actually works.

See this is one thing that gets me. We've never given other studios/devs a pass for this - why are we starting now?

If you show it so people expect it in your game and it's not there, then it's not there.

If Bungie or EA or Activision or anyone else showed target render footage for their games without the clear "footage pre-rendered / not representative of gameplay" type disclaimers, GAF and other places would be shredding them. I'm not saying you specifically, but why do we dismiss this criticism now for XV?

Actually it's been a thing for ages; the trailer for Killzone 2 was entirely mock up gameplay done in CG the PS3 could have no hope to match; same for the first Final Fantasy XIII trailer. Note that these were shown in 2005 and 2006 respectively, so the tradition is at the very least a decade old, probably more. It's basically the younger, more elaborate cousin of the age-old bullshots.

I've always thought it's entirely and completely unacceptable, but you will find no shortage of people defending it as perfectly legitimate. Much like every single dubious corporate practice you'd care to mention.

Xane

Omen Trailer, November 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZymd6r4wGg

Having completed the game, I feel this trailer hinted towards a much more deeper fate for Noctis/Luna. What we got in the final game was just undercooked and this trailer just feels a bit pointless to me.

What does everyone think? Is this another round of NMS?

I hope they learn and announce FFXVI no sooner than a year before they intend to release it... and move on from this project asap.

I believe the Omen trailer nowadays is to be seen as Noctis' nightmare he had the night before he woke up after the incident in Altissia. It shows the inner struggle Noctis went through, processing his past experiences and present fears into these condensed, nightmarish visuals.
Noct blames himself for the death of Lady Lunafreya which is depicted in the nightmare as his own shadow giving the striking blow.

Personally, I feel it's powerful on its own.

HeelPower

It's like people were SUPER invested in this game's development, but have absolutely no clue how it actually works.

Tabata may be "functional at best" when it comes to directing (I can't speak to his other works; FFXV is the only game of his I've played), but it's clear he's an exceptional project manager, and was brought onto the XV project for specifically this purpose.

*snip*
Legitimate question, are people here suggesting that Versus XIII would have been better as a canned game that never existed, so people could fawn over the possibility of its greatness in peace? It's like people were SUPER invested in this game's development, but have absolutely no clue how it actually works.

I'll be the first to admit,I know shit all about game development.

But I am gonna judge this game's artistic merit based on the final product we got,not some hypothetical conjecture about how it was developed.

The truth is this game lacked a strong backbone,it goes backwards in some aspects and is thoroughly unambitious in anything that isn't technical/graphics related.

Also by this token,Motomu Toriyama should be considered an exceptional project manager as well.

He pushed out a fully functional open world game(Lightning Returns) in under two years from announcement to delivery.

XV is actually no better than Lightning Returns,but it sure looks nicer.

sappyday

I found it funny how they would actually market the game with Older Noctis. Despite the fact he only appears in the game for exactly one chapter. Like who the fuck thought that was a good idea. I remember at the time we must play as him for a good chunk cause the marketing team wouldn't be that stupid.

maybe I'm wrong but I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not confused about the laws that you mention, I'm confused about how those laws related to what I specifically said.

Although I'd seen the trailers in question before buying the game, when I bought the game the details of what what I was buying were stated on the PSN Store that I was buying it from, they are the details that would stand legally as a part of my purchase because they are what I agreed to when I was buying it.

If one of those trailers had specifically stated "you get this in the final game" and then I didn't get said thing in the final game and I was never informed that I wouldn't be getting it, then I believe that I would have genuine grounds to take action against them because they haven't fulfilled the agreement that we made.

This was all covered, to some extent, in relation to No Man's Sky when people took legal action in the UK against what was shown in the before that game was launched. There was a similar incident in the USA with GTA V when it didn't launch with the previously advertised online mode. I'm probably stretching the connection between the GTA V case and what is being suggested here though.

Unsurprisingly, neither of thee cases was successful and I'm not seeing anything that you're posted here which suggests that this would be treated any differently if somebody did attempt to take it on.

The thing that confuses me more than your suggestion that they are in breach of the law is that fact that you believe that they are but you, in part, "don't have time to deal with it". That is bewildering on a level that I just can't explain. If I felt that somebody had done wrong by me on a legal level, by god, it would be an absolute priority to deal with and deal with it to completion.

Again, I would suggest that if you genuinely feel that you've been lied to by the earlier trailers for Final Fantasy XV then, as you know, there are laws that protect you as a consumer and people really need to be standing up for their rights, even for stuff like this.

I don't think it makes me an expert (it doesn't) but I was a political officer for just over five years and almost every day of that was spent fighting for the rights of people who believed they didn't have the rights that were mandated to them by law. I just don't see anything being presented here that suggests that the law could be involved as you suggested it could.

We have different opinions on this, it's allowed, but I would be happy to see anything that could change my mind about how I feel about suggestion that this is a legal issue. :)

I'm pretty sure your misunderstanding me as well. And that's fine because I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind anyway, but i don’t think you understand the purpose of the advertising regulations.

This started because you implied that onus was not on the advertiser to be truthful unless they state concrete terms, and thus it was somehow our fault as consumers for buying a product based on its marketing…. Which I consider to be nonsense concept.

A consumer is not at fault for being interested in a product based on its marketing - because the entire purpose of marketing to generate interest in the product by showing samples of it.

It doesn't work like that. The laws (that you acknowledge), don't require the person advertising to explicitly say “this is what you are going to get”, because the marketing itself *is* telling you what you are going get. What the laws actually require is that the person advertising has to specifically tell you when what they are showing you is not what you are going to get. Disclaimers exist because those laws require disclosure that what you are being pitched is not what you are going to receive.

There are other people in the thread making the argument that FFXV is not intentional, because its a result of the development process etc etc. If you want to make that argument instead then by all means do. It has more ground than the one you are currently on. But none of it goes against my ongoing point: that a consumer shouldn’t somehow be blamed for having an interest in a product because of material -whose raison d’être is to build interest in a product by showing samples of it-. And when the final product doesnt contain what is depicted in that material people have a right to be displeased/disappointed as many are.

Some may want to take the the time to pursue legal charges (most won’t). While others may instead just want to talk to others about who share their use of the product as we are doing now.
Lets be honest Tabata & co know they have underdelivered on what was shown - they wouldnt be planning on releasing narrative content to improve the game if they themselves didn't acknowledge that what they had given us doesn't live up to the what they pitched.

Anyway I’m sure we are going to go in circles with this so lets agree to disagree and call it a night.

ED Cantu

I don't count anything from when the game was Versus XIII as cut content because the game changed completely, even the first trailer as FF XV shown at E3 2013 would barely count, but then seeing all the scenes from when Tabata took control that didn't appear in the final game makes me wonder why they were cut if they already had worked to create said scenes.

For example, this one:

The Attack on Altissia still happens in the game and they had this CG scene of how it starts, it's just that it's at night, so why don't work around it? why don't make the attack and the fight against Leviathan at night and keep this scene?

Or this one:
Apparently the scene where Cor explains what happened in Insomnia was not inside a Royal Tomb, it was outside and a CG scene, so again, Cor still explains what happened to Noctis (well, if you call that an explanation) in the final game so why not keep the scene and the make Cor accompany Noctis to the tomb afterwards?

FFXV Reborn.
FFXV ReVersus

kiuo

I believe the Omen trailer nowadays is to be seen as Noctis' nightmare he had the night before he woke up after the incident in Altissia. It shows the inner struggle Noctis went through, processing his past experiences and present fears into these condensed, nightmarish visuals.
Noct blames himself for the death of Lady Lunafreya which is depicted in the nightmare as his own shadow giving the striking blow.

Personally, I feel it's powerful on its own.

Ok that makes so much more sense now with that trailer. I enjoy how people are connecting the dots and finding the missing pieces to the story. However, I have to point out, it's a good example of doing exactly that. You guys are making the story of ffxv far more interesting than what was actually presented in the game. Not that i dont enjoy it, but I feel it is really getting away from what the game actual is, a complete mess with a ton story content cut away from it.

CaramelMarx

Neo Member

I disagree that I'm cherrypicking masterpieces to defend a 'bad game'. My question was if the MGS trailer is false advertising, in the way people are claiming about XVs.

Honestly, the MGS featured in the trailer is a completely different game in every respect apart from its non interactive elements, because it's a glimpse of a game still in the works, 2 years before release. There are people in this thread complaining that trailers from much longer than 2 years ago aren't accurate enough; and that's for a game with far higher costs, requirements, and size.

Game trailers are not solely for the purpose of '100% accurately' depicting what the game will look and play like day one, unless it's already pretty damn close to the release. The most recent ad I saw of XV was their (pretentious) pseudo mini-movie 'interpretation' - it was obviously not representative of the game's content, only of its themes.

Especially in cases where there are years of development time, game trailers are arguably more for showing how the project is shaping up, at the time of the trailer's creation. There was a ton of coverage and openness pre-launch of what XV's first hour (at least) would look like, and those depictions were 100% accurate reflections of the game at large. Just because a game takes a turn or structure you didn't expect or like, it doesn't mean this was a willful or careless mistake. I think it just means you didn't like it. You weren't wronged by anybody but your own expectations; and who could blame you, for not knowing what a game will look like pre-release?

Again, I'm fully admitting that there's a suprisingly large amount of material in the trailer that isn't in the game. But cutting and trimming is fundamental to the creative process: it doesn't necessarily imply some conspiracy or foul play when creatives change their work during development.

I'm a big believer in self criticism, and I just think it's easier to blame SE for not creating the ideal Final Fantasy of my dreams, rather than face the possibility that my expectations were unreasonable; or that I'm lacking in empathy for the devs or awareness of what it's like to make a game like this.

I'm not even saying you should like the game, so please don't mistake my post for a 'defense'.

I'll be the first to admit,I know shit all about game development.

But I am gonna judge this game's artistic merit based on the final product we got,not some hypothetical conjecture about how it was developed.

The truth is this game lacked a strong backbone,it goes backwards in some aspects and is thoroughly unambitious in anything that isn't technical/graphics related.

Also by this token,Motomu Toriyama should be considered an exceptional project manager as well.

He pushed out a fully functional open world game(Lightning Returns) in under two years from announcement to delivery.

XV is actually no better than Lightning Returns,but it sure looks nicer.

XV is critically and commercially much more successful than Lightning Returns. I've platinum'd both games and while i like Lightning Returns and it does alot of cool things, there's no comparison between the two. XV is much better in nearly every facet of the game.

And the reason why LR was made in two years is because it was reusing assets everywhere from XIII, XV's assets had to be built from the ground up.

Astral Dog

FF XV has some very good qualities but so far i enjoyed XIII-2 more (didn't played the original XIII)

That was the definition of a flawed gem

Top Bottom