• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 17 demo releases today

Pachimari

Is there a cutscene we have to watch every time we start up the demo? And will we have to go through the story part every time? Can somebody check this?

Brinbe

Just based on a single match, won a golden goal with Mkhitaryan in ET. This is on PC.

The game plays almost the same as 16. I don't know about the new engine and everything but it has the exact same feel. The running/sprinting/passing/shooting/defending. It's the same. Looks better I guess? The CPU, at least on legendary, is a bit better. More life-like, a bit less robotic in attack. The major difference I noticed is the crowd sounds/atmosphere. it's pretty spot-on. They'll get on you for misplaying easy balls, really get up for exciting opportunities. They even got the managerial reactions down right, as Mourinho went bonkers on the touchline after scoring the winner. Good stuff there.

Also, the new controls on setpieces are a big improvement. Much more control over the situation, as you can really drill the ball in to the box. But I can see it being exploited if not properly balanced out since you can direct things pretty accurately.

Other than that, it's the same old FIFA. Which is a good or bad thing, depending on your feelings on the game.

blacklotus

Just based on a single match, won a golden goal with Mkhitaryan in ET.

The game plays the same as 16. Almost the exact same feel. Looks better I guess? The CPU, at least on legendary, is a bit better. More life-like, a bit less robotic. The major difference I noticed is the crowd sounds/atmosphere. it's pretty spot-on. They'll get on you for misplaying easy balls, really get up for exciting opportunities.

Other than that, it's the same old FIFA.

So shooting is the same?

MM4nson

Neo Member
I open Origin but I can't download the demo. No error display, just sent me to store for buying the game. So sad.

Pachimari

Just based on a single match, won a golden goal with Mkhitaryan in ET. This is on PC.

The game plays almost the same as 16. I don't know about the new engine and everything but it has the exact same feel. The running/sprinting/passing/shooting/defending. It's the same. Looks better I guess? The CPU, at least on legendary, is a bit better. More life-like, a bit less robotic in attack. The major difference I noticed is the crowd sounds/atmosphere. it's pretty spot-on. They'll get on you for misplaying easy balls, really get up for exciting opportunities. They even got the managerial reactions down right, as Mourinho went bonkers on the touchline after scoring the winner. Good stuff there.

Also, the new controls on setpieces are a big improvement. Much more control over the situation, as you can really drill the ball in to the box. But I can see it being exploited if not properly balanced out since you can direct things pretty accurately.

Other than that, it's the same old FIFA. Which is a good or bad thing, depending on your feelings on the game.

Not that I have a problem with how FIFA 16 plays, but this is what I fear. I need the experience to freshen up a bit.

Definitely a noticeable upgrade on the visuals.
I just don't see this.

Brinbe

So shooting is the same?

I guess you can get good heft on it now? But I obviously gotta play more to see. I wish I could easily share this match winner on PC, they really nailed that atmosphere and the little things.

So far, I'm liking it a lot.

MauroNL

Played a few matches on Xbox One just now. (Download was pretty fast for me) Overall I like it. It takes a bit getting used to like all new FIFAs, but in a good way. I like all the new transitions and camera angles, and some of the faces look great. The lighting is a giant step forward and I like the DoF effects.

Overall the game feels a bit slower then last years, but animations look more natural IMO. Passing is slower and shooting feels harder. The new set pieces are really different though, so that'll take a lot of pratice and I didn't feel a need for change in that area.

It looks like, for me, this years FIFA will be a tight battle with PES.

Brinbe

lol sorry but this story is dumb as fuck already. I know it's just a game, but as if Mou would bench Ibra (or even Rashford) for these random youngsters away against Chelsea.

It's pretty much Mass Effect/FIFA and your teammate/rival is a douche.

Bumhead

Banned
lol sorry but this story is dumb as fuck already. I know it's just a game, but as if Mou would bench Ibra a(or even Rashford) for these random youngsters away against Chelsea

The premise for that story feels dumb as fuck anyway.

After the year(s) Jamie Vardy has had recently, what an opportunity to tell a proper "Roy of the Rovers" football story. I might be wrong but this feels like the time between coming onto the scene and "making it" feels way too short. Starting at a Premiership club kills some of my interest in it.

I know there's Rashford but.. eh. That's not quite the same compelling story.

Game looks nicer and feels a little slower, but we all know the final game will be completely reworked. No Fifa demo has ever been an indication on how the final game will play.

That said, it's Fifa. New engine and new coat of fresh paint, but the underlying ugliness is still there.

Iffy control in defence (changing players is still a fucking lottery) and playing against the AI is a torture no one in its sane mind would endure.

Multiplayer is why we buy this thing. And from what I can see from the demo, all things considered, I'll like it a lot (in the rare occasions it works as intended).

New faces are ace.

ps3ud0

Unskippable cutscenes in The Journey (lol at the sub change! I guess you arent always a ST I hope?!?) - like the mode though but still dont understand why you cant customise the player as your own pro

Like the new dead ball changes, but the game just feels like FIFA which for me isnt great, wouldnt have easily noticed the new engine if I hadnt have known...

Will play more!

EDIT: The GRID/DIRT like messages look terrible for some reason

ps3ud0 8)

Pachimari

Downloaded pretty fast on PS4.

I haven't played much of it - not even a full match - but can already now see that it looks nicer. Better lighting, and sharper and more detailed textures. Player likenesses are improved too. It feels the same as FIFA 16 so far though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Two quick screenshots on PC, playing on 4k DSR:

09.13.2016-20.07.00.0nvq30.jpg

09.13.2016-20.12.47.172p3u.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
1. AI still barely make mistakes and are hard as hell to get the ball off

2. wtf is this penalty system

ps3ud0

Are the new semi level of assists new or part of 16? I know a few of them have been around for a while but dont remember having them for passing/shooting

ps3ud0 8)

ps3ud0

They were in 16 too. Also for passing and shooting.

It feels the same so far. But that could change.
Cool - I didnt buy 16 so didnt know - hopefully theyll have filters for those level of assists - made me play Man Utd like a pub team at times :)

ps3ud0 8)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Have hit the crossbar more in this demo than I have the entirety of fifa 16

Easier to score long rangers now too 😎

How's pc version? At work staring at computer right now.

Hope they act like full manual exist this year.

Very good

Top Bottom