• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIGHT! Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Sonic The Fighters Rated for XBLA

onken

Yeah definitely needs Fighters Megamix, though the arcade version of VF2 would be enough I guess. Played that game with my brother soooooo much.

Rlan

Thanks. Realistically the only game that seems to have been ported from Dreamcast directly was... Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

Also yeah -- Nights wasn't a Sega Ages title, odd that it is. It was on its own for some reason.

And it seems like Treasure either hates the PS3 or only has the power to make Xbox Games. Not just Guardian Heroes, Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun, but Bangai-O as well.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SEGA is on a roll regarding their previous IP's and how to reintroduce them to a new audience and let users with new and large LCD TV screens enjoy those games with improved visuals.
Despite all critics, the PSN/XBLA version of Sonic Adventure 1 remains the best installation of that game to date (thanks to a much more consistent framerate than the GCN DX version), so I am going to count it too.

Man, I'm glad more Saturn games seem to be hitting DD services finally. Hopefully it starts cracking things open for getting more obscure, hard to find games on like Panzer Dragoon Saga. Though NiGHTS itself is a huge triumph, even with control issues.

Glad to see more Saturn games too. I hope its not just Xbox who's gonna get them all, I really want to see Nintendo open a Saturn and Dreamcast section to Virtual Console for the Wii U.

Now previously AM2 have done their own porting of their own products -- I believe After Burner Climax, Virtual On: OT and VF5 was them, so there's a chance they're doing it this time for VF2, STF and Fighting Vipers from the original Arcade versions.

If it's the same outfit that ported Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS, which was SEGA Shanghai, then it'll likely be the PS2 versions.

Looking back at the SEGA AGES release list, they started off with some shockingly bad remakes, but ended up getting pretty sweet by the end. The following would make good to great ports over to the XBLA and PSN.

Phantasy Star: Generation 1

package_l.jpg

screen_1.jpg
screen_2.jpg

screen_3.jpg

screen_4.jpg

A PS2 remake of Phantasy Star 1, complete with new graphics. a new translation of this title would be awesome, along with a port of Generation 2 (ie; PSII remake)

Decathlete Collection

package_l.jpg

screen_1.jpg
screen_2.jpg

screen_3.jpg

screen_4.jpg

Sega's simple Arcade "olympic" titles, Decathlete and Winter Heat. Konami's Track and Field is on there, I think this might actually do well?

Dynamite Deka

main.jpg

caption1b.jpg

caption3b.jpg

This old brawler apparently got a great update to the original version. Also, considering this was called Die Hard Arcade and had it changed to Bruce Willis's character for America, it might actually be a good idea to get this, rebrand it Die Hard Arcade again, and release it when Die Hard 5 comes out next year.

Panzer Dragoon

main.jpg

caption1b.jpg

caption2b.jpg

I'd honestly prefer Zwei, but considering Panzer Dragoon has a PS2 port, is included in Orta, and has a level in SAASRT, why not?

Other stuff that they've got in the SEGA AGES stuff, including Fantasy Zone Collection and Treasure Box, would be better suited to the sweet collections M2 have been doing for Streets or Rage etc.

A hearty fuck yes to this whole post, but especially that PS Generations. Releasing those games with Vita compatibility would get me to run out and buy one for sure.

Releasing fossilized fighting games with no 3D movement that revolve around 3 hit combos is pretty pointless in 2012, but people would for sure get excited if Sega started re-releasing some of their holy grail games like Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Trojan X

Banned
Frankly. SEGA needs to release this game and make everyone happy:

virtua_cop_3_010-preview.jpg

Not to sound like a fanboy but this is the best shooting game ever.

Interested in VF2. But after the whole NiGHTS control fiasco, I wouldn't be surprised with Sega's laziness.

What do you mean by "control"? The controls? I've read complaints about the 360/PS3 analog not being able to replicate the 360 degree movements as the SEGA Saturn 3D pad. I can't remember since it's literally been since 1996 the last time I played NiGHTS.

And it seems like Treasure either hates the PS3 or only has the power to make Xbox Games. Not just Guardian Heroes, Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun, but Bangai-O as well.

I'm not really concerned with what console a digital game makes it to, but Treasure has made it clear there's a preference to XBLA. Either because of a past preference (before around 2009, PSN was admittedly irrelevant to many developers/publishers releasing on digital platforms as evidenced by the myriad of XBLA exclusives and such) or an ongoing preference, Treasure seems XBLA only.
And of course Gunstar Heroes, even though it's one of theirs, is only on PS3 being more a SEGA/Backbone port thing that SEGA has more ownership of.

Anyone know what Treasure is up to these days? They released 3 XBLA titles in 2011, now they seem silent.
They're still sitting on a boatload of gems. Mischief Makers on XBLA would be incredible.

Anyone know what Treasure is up to these days? They released 3 XBLA titles in 2011, now they seem silent.
They're still sitting on a boatload of gems. Mischief Makers on XBLA would be incredible.
Mischief Makers depends on Square Enix and maybe even Nintendo (who could hold rights over the western localization), so it's doubtful you'll see it on any digital services except possibly VC.

Mischief Makers depends on Square Enix and maybe even Nintendo (who could hold rights over the western localization), so it's doubtful you'll see it on any digital services except possibly VC.

Yeah, I forgot about Enix publishing. Might be an unfortunate similarity with Sin & Punishment being owned by Nintendo

Are we sure that Enix publishing would be the prevention? Enix technically doesn't exist anymore after the merger and past Treasure XBLA titles not orginally published by Treasure made it.
Edit: It was published by Nintendo in US/EU and just Enix in Japan. Not sure the Nintendo thing would negate any chance at a port. I'd be OK with Japan-only XBLA. I'd still be able to access it.

A shame because XBLA is lacking in railgun shooters, Panzer Dragoon titles and S&P1/2 would be incredible in HD with leaderboards. So far the only ones are Aces of the Galaxy and Yar's Revenge from what I recall.

danwarb

What do you mean by "control"? The controls? I've read complaints about the 360/PS3 analog not being able to replicate the 360 degree movements as the SEGA Saturn 3D pad. I can't remember since it's literally been since 1996 the last time I played NiGHTS.
It's pretty much 8-way with the analog stick. This for a game that came with its own analog pad in 1996.

Yes, the controls. NiGHTS moves as deftly as a garbage truck. It's not a problem with the 360/PS3 sticks because the PS2 version was almost a bit TOO touchy. It's a problem with the port.

Here is a game that I totally forgot about and I would love to see a port.

Three Dirty Dwarves. I have never played it but it looked very cool to me. Its a 3 player beat em up that was on the Saturn. A game like this can really use online coop.

Tain

I wonder if M2 will be involved with these, given that they released those excellent Model 2 packages on PS2.

Yes, the controls. NiGHTS moves as deftly as a garbage truck. It's not a problem with the 360/PS3 sticks because the PS2 version was almost a bit TOO touchy. It's a problem with the port.

Yeah, from what I played so far of the XBLA/PSN port, doing loops and in general turning is pretty sluggish. Even though I played with the Saturn 3D pad back then, I still chalked it up to the game, not the port.

I was watching a video of the Saturn version and he was doing a Paraloop super fast and in a small motion, while trying to do it in this new port you have to do a larger, slow circle and thus some fast boss methods are severely luck based or impossible to pull off it seems.

A shame about that and the lack of "Sonic mode" in the NiGHTS port. If only the PS2 version included it. I just don't understand how the port screwed up the analog control if the PS2 port was decent. These two little things are something they should have taken a little time to include. Nonetheless, great port visually and aurally, just the control thing yes, makes serious play frustrating. Besides Sonic mode, is there any other content missing from the original/Chirstmas (if this wasn't a port of the PS2 versio, which included it, you could bet we wouldn't have gotten Christmas NiGHTS either).

geebee

Banned
Sega is kicking ass with digital distribution recently! Seaman, Virtua Cop 3, and Cosmic Smash next, please.

lupinko

If not already mentioned, VF2 Sega Ages version didn't run at 60fps, AM2 had some problems initially with porting to the PS2 from Model 2. VF2 Sega Ages ran at some weird 57.8fps or whatever instead.

AM2 eventually had this sorted out by the time they got around to porting FV.

SkylineRKR

I have the feeling we'll get everything down the line. No one expected Daytona and House of the Dead 4 and Final Showdown was in doubt as well. They're here.

Sega was about going digital and not developing new IP anymore, so it fits in.

But I don't expect Saturn ports, remember, this stuff is Model 2. The model 2 version of Sega Rally 1 would be incredible.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Still hoping for a Border Break port more than anything else from Sega

Hatten

I really wanted to play sonic the fighters.........back in 1996

Now? I dont know, back then it was a curiosity, now the franchise has been whored down to every gaming genre known to man.

Remember when the franchise wasn't even 10 years old? this game is 4 years shy from 20!

And to think the best of the best was released in the first 3 years...

geebee

Banned
I really wanted to play sonic the fighters.........back in 1996

Now? I dont know, back then it was a curiosity, now the franchise has been whored down to every gaming genre known to man.

Remember when the franchise wasn't even 10 years old? this game is 4 years shy from 20!

And to think the best of the best was released in the first 3 years...
Sonic the Fighters and Sonic R were fun little side games back then. By now, though.. the novelty has worn off a bit.

It's hard to believe how much good that Sega being on the verge of collapse has done. Not only have they finally started re-releasing their vast untapped back catalogue, but they've been treating the ports with respect as well.

Day one on both Fighting Vipers and Sonic the Fighters. I also hope this means that Sonic R could potentially get a re-release as well - it's now the last main title from Sonic Gems Collection that hasn't been re-released and also one that could be very easily ported from the PC version.

KageMaru

I agree these are likely ports of last gen ports, but I hope we see more games heading over. Wasn't Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue also rated a long time ago?

SkylineRKR

they did make a sequel to Fighting Viper..........i had the EU Fighting Viper 2 for the DC. I wish they bring Fighting Viper 2 to XBLA and PSN.

Yeah and it was a pretty good game, great gameplay with DC arcade stick. Those Super K.O.'s were ridiculous though, they're exactly like the Soul Calibur IV finish moves.

GrayFoxPL

VF2 on PS2 was not arcade perfect the graphics seemed off. Saturn ver will always be the best I think.

Saturn version looked different from arcade. Actually less blocky thanks to different shading, but no 3d backgrounds and less texture detail.

With a karaoke mode.
Lyrics = off in the options screen. No lyrics on the screen, though, which was probably what you were thinking about.

What'd probably make my day is if they included a Lyrics = Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. Take the Karaoke versions of the tracks and have the Daytona USA guy sing over them. The resulting mental image is so hilariously corny that I can't help but smile.

Top Bottom