• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO_Andy

Saw this nugget in a Might No.9 thread

52LOj3C.png

WOW... dat communication between reps.

So we can expect this 8 frames of lag to get patched in the future?

No, it's just damage control. Who are gonna believe? The PRODUCER of the game or PR Fiend. Their entire netcode is built around input roleback within those extra 3 frames. They would need to redesign the netcode and who says they are even good enough to make it work with 5 frames?

kirblar

MvC4 would be the easiest way to save SFV (sales/participation wise), simply because more people will buy it over time once they get back into the genre. (I know thats what happened to me, I went MvC3 -> SSF4.)

Marvel with no Doom or X-men would be so dumb. They literally define the series. Through out the past 20 years there hasn't been a seminal or defining movement that didn't involve them.

Dahbomb

MvC4 would be the easiest way to save SFV (sales/participation wise), simply because more people will buy it over time once they get back into the genre. (I know thats what happened to me, I went MvC3 -> SSF4.)
MVC4 needs a hell of a lot more effort than either SFV and MVC3 to get the sales/reception. I really don't know if Capcom has it in them as of right now.

This isn't even including the supposed X Men ban.

There are so many ways they can mess up MVC4, I am legit surprised that Marvel even acknowledged it.

Also NB4 new Max video with ridiculously click bait title "MARVEL VS CAPCOM 4 CONFIRMED!!!!!????"

kirblar

Marvel with no Doom or X-men would be so dumb. They literally define the series. Through out the past 20 years there hasn't been a seminal or defining movement that didn't involve them.
Non-negotiables for MvC4:

X-Men characters. (who cares about F4)
Re-do Spider-Man's moveset
Re-do Iron Man's moveset

Dahbomb

Spider Man in UMVC3 is the most Spider Man-like character in a fighting game made yet. Plays exactly like you want/expect him to in a fighting game with a good mix of agility, run away, web slinging and rushdown.

The issue is that the character is hella hard to play which I am guessing is what you are alluding to. New players want to get into the game and want to make a team of Iron Man, Spider Man and Deadpool then realize that those characters are hard as hell to play then they all go to the Wolverines and Weskers.

Kumubou

No, it's just damage control. Who are gonna believe? The PRODUCER of the game or PR Fiend. Their entire netcode is built around input roleback within those extra 3 frames. They would need to redesign the netcode and who says they are even good enough to make it work with 5 frames?
If they were actually baking in input delay to help reduce rollbacks (and to smooth out differences in the online and offline experiences), they wouldn't put that in the vsync implementation.

I don't care if you're bringing this up as a troll or not, it drives me nuts every time it gets suggested. Their v-sync implementation is completely fucked and is endemic of the lack of care the game has had.

Or are you going to argue that legacy controllers having less input delay is an intentional design decision too?

Dahbomb intuited correctly what I was getting at- he should not be in the most difficult 20% of the cast to play. He's Spider-Man.
Popular characters should be easy to play? I don't agree with that. Sometimes, to really capture the spirit of a character, they need to be technical. I can't see Spider-man being easy to play while also feeling right. UMvC3 Spider-man is pretty close to perfect in terms of playstyle and flow.

kirblar

Popular characters should be easy to play? I don't agree with that. Sometimes, to really capture the spirit of a character, they need to be technical. I can't see Spider-man being easy to play while also feeling right. UMvC3 Spider-man is pretty close to perfect in terms of playstyle and flow.
Not necessarily all, but your #1 Guy? Yeah. Kids should be able to play her.

To maximize troll, Sirlin does the rebalance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
But if you were to define the spirit of Spider-Man, it would be the everyman. Everykid, in fact. Super technical characters are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Characters like Spider-Man and Iron Man shouldn't have the tight timing windows that they have now, it doesn't serve any real good purpose. You can have as much advanced stuff as you want, but Joe Blow is gonna think the game blows if he picks it up and the most popular or go-to characters are not intuitive. I mean, I like the content of their movesets, but they don't play as well as they could.

Dahbomb

They can easily make Spider Man easier to play without removing the technicalities of the character.

For starters, they can make Spidey Swing not be a reverse dragon punch motion. Then they can make Web Throw not a Half Circle but a QCB instead. The rest is just increasing his normal attacks hit box/hit stun so it's easier to do the chain combos.

And that's just the current system... who knows what they can do for MVC4 to make things easier. Maybe the S button is a special button that does unique actions for every character (and the launcher is just down + H like it is in the older Marvel games) so they can make the Web Zip just be S + direction if they want.

Not necessarily all, but your #1 Guy? Yeah. Kids should be able to play her.

To maximize troll, Sirlin does the rebalance.

But if you were to define the spirit of Spider-Man, it would be the everyman. Everykid, in fact. Super technical characters are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Characters like Spider-Man and Iron Man shouldn't have the tight timing windows that they have now, it doesn't serve any real good purpose. You can have as much advanced stuff as you want, but Joe Blow is gonna think the game blows if he picks it up and the most popular or go-to characters are not intuitive. I mean, I like the content of their movesets, but they don't play as well as they could.
I must be stuck in the past with Wolverine as #1. :-/

They can easily make Spider Man easier to play without removing the technicalities of the character.

For starters, they can make Spidey Swing not be a reverse dragon punch motion. Then they can make Web Throw not a Half Circle but a QCB instead. The rest is just increasing his normal attacks hit box/hit stun so it's easier to do the chain combos.

And that's just the current system... who knows what they can do for MVC4 to make things easier. Maybe the S button is a special button that does unique actions for every character (and the launcher is just down + H like it is in the older Marvel games) so they can make the Web Zip just be S + direction if they want.
Sure, but his general movement and pressure will remain difficult, which is what I thought we were focusing on.

If they were actually baking in input delay to help reduce rollbacks (and to smooth out differences in the online and offline experiences), they wouldn't put that in the vsync implementation.

I don't care if you're bringing this up as a troll or not, it drives me nuts every time it gets suggested. Their v-sync implementation is completely fucked and is endemic of the lack of care the game has had.

Or are you going to argue that legacy controllers having less input delay is an intentional design decision too?

Because not only has the maker of the game gone on record saying that, it's the exact same thing other developers have done. You are not supposed to shut off vsync, it fucks the game up and makes online even worse. It's built in. They aren't removing it, deal with it.

Dahbomb

What past? Wolverine never trumped over Spider Man. Though he was definitely more popular than Iron Man but Spider Man was always the king of Marvel when it came to popularity.

I miss you niggas. 😢

How is Revelator?

A lot of folks on here are digging it, and the OT seems to be bustling. I personally haven't gotten it yet, because I don't want to pay full price. The game is poised to have I think...four more DLC characters?

If Baiken is one of the DLC characters you can bet a lot of folks will jump on the game if they haven't already.

I know wolverine became really popular over the last 15 years since the first x-men movie came out. I know he was very popular before but the movie launched his popularity to a whole new level. But that being said I still spiderman is way more popular than wolverine. Always have been. Even to this day after 2 bad recent movies (IMO) and part 3 of the original trilogy spiderman is still much more popular than wolverine IMO.

Sayad

Was Wolverine ever bigger than Spiderman?!! Spiderman always seemed to be "the" superhero after Superman and Batman.

shaowebb

Feels nice seeing everyone excited over the thought of their favorite comic book guys being playable again someday in a new fighting game. Its good to remember what we like sometimes when so often we end up voicing nothing but the things that are wrong in the genre in hopes of getting a voice heard on an issue thats important.

Always good to take a moment and just talk about the things you love instead of focusing on the things you dont in the genre. Reminds you of why you're here to begin with.

On that note, I can't wait to play Injustice 2. Air techs and dodge rolls plus new DC faces has me excited. Gear will be something I'll have a ton of casual fun with like Heroes and Heralds mode, but if its in the main game in some limited form and not just something thats for funsies only I'll likely have a decent amount of fun trying to break the game with gear combinations all the time there too.

I love me some comic book characters in fighting games. I hope we see an increase in the number of them. Whether its more Marvel vs Capcom, or something new with folks from like Boom!, Top Cow, Darkhorse, IDW or Image I'd be down for that. Lord knows I'd love to play as the Top Cow folks and have The Magdalena vs The Darkness.

Rhapsody

Banned
Almost finished with MN9 lol. Game feels like all the bad/mediocre parts of Inti-Creates in one game, regarding stage design.

There some stages I like. But I feel like the mechanics really dampens the enjoyment of it all.

Edit: And yes, I know this is FGH thread lol

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
But there are other fighting games with rollback netcode and much lower input lag. And V-Sync implementation seems to be bad as well.

Because not only has the maker of the game gone on record saying that, it's the exact same thing other developers have done. You are not supposed to shut off vsync, it fucks the game up and makes online even worse. It's built in. They aren't removing it, deal with it.
Which other developers?

Sayad

Which other developers?
Namco have been doing this(adding input lag) for a while now, you can find it in SCV, TTT2 and Smash U. And they straight up said it's there to create a buffer for the netcode, long before SFV's input delay was a thing.
Famitsu: So how does Tekken 7 solve these problems?

Harada: For instance when the player hits the punch button or perform other actions, we put in a brief buffer period between the button press and when the punch move or action actually starts happening on-screen, as a measure to reduce the perception of lag.

Subsequently, if there is lag online, what the game can do in theory is to skip over certain frames or parts of the move's animation. In other words, in order to keep the amount of time elapsed -- between when the player hits a button and when the move actually hits -- consistent, the game makes adjustments to the move animations accordingly.

But that's not all. That's just one example. There's a bunch of other game system measures like this we've put in place.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...magic-tekken-7s-low-lag-techniques-explained/

It's probably built in, but that doesn't mean it can't be removed or adjusted to, say, SFIV level. I just don't see it happening this season.

Almost finished with MN9 lol. Game feels like all the bad/mediocre parts of Inti-Creates in one game, regarding stage design.

There some stages I like. But I feel like the mechanics really dampens the enjoyment of it all.

Edit: And yes, I know this is FGH thread lol
Well, it's better than nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That Namco system is pretty different man. How about other 2D games with rollback netcode? Why do they have much less input lag?

(I also think the Tekken idea is garbage, you shouldn't change animation timing in a fighting game, it's absurd)

Sayad

That Namco system is pretty different man. How about other 2D games with rollback netcode? Why do they have much less input lag?

(I also think the Tekken idea is garbage, you shouldn't change animation timing in a fighting game, it's absurd)
Because those 2D games actually have good netcode! The input lag part isn't required, it's just being used to artificially hide differences between online and offline play.

Also, this method actually worked well for Namco, just check how positively people think about TTT2, SCV and Smash U netcodes while there's close to no complaints about the input delay in those games(there's some around Tekken though). It's just not a very good idea when your game have moves as fast as 3 frames.

Tripon

why is this important

It's not. Well, maybe the part where he refuses to accommodate 3/5 for Smash games, which I am fine with.

Melee is already the only 3 day tournament before SFV had to be, and SFV and Marvel are the only game that gets 3/5. Smash games getting it too before other games like Xrd and MKX where matches move at a much more faster pace than Melee or Smash 4 does seems to be asking too much.

Namco have been doing this(adding input lag) for a while now, you can find it in SCV, TTT2 and Smash U. And they straight up said it's there to create a buffer for the netcode, long before SFV's input delay was a thing.http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...magic-tekken-7s-low-lag-techniques-explained/

It's probably built in, but that doesn't mean it can't be removed or adjusted to, say, SFIV level. I just don't see it happening this season.

Well, it's better than nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But like, Namco games don't use rollback. What advantage does the buffer have in a rollback implemented game like SFV?

Sayad

But like, Namco games don't use rollback. What advantage does the buffer have in a rollback implemented game like SFV?
For SFV it could work the same way as it does in GGPO games where you could set delay frames, think of it as a GGPO game where the default network delay is set to 3 frames, you will encounter less rollbacks at the expense of more input lag.

kirblar

It's not. Well, maybe the part where he refuses to accommodate 3/5 for Smash games, which I am fine with.

Melee is already the only 3 day tournament before SFV had to be, and SFV and Marvel are the only game that gets 3/5. Smash games getting it too before other games like Xrd and MKX where matches move at a much more faster pace than Melee or Smash 4 does seems to be asking too much.
If you want 3/5 for all of Melee Top 8, you have to give up the Sunday slot.

I would like this trade.

For SFV it could work the same way as it does in GGPO games where you could set delay frames, think of it as a GGPO game where the default network delay is set to 3 frames, you will encounter less rollbacks at the expense of more input lag.

if they could implement this that would be neat

Swarna

You are not supposed to shut off vsync, it fucks the game up and makes online even worse.

lol No it doesn't. Whoever told you this is uninformed/stupid. V-sync offline on PC is ~4.6 frames of lag compared to 7.9 on PS4 and plays completely fine online, too. IMO, worth switching platforms for.

This was never actually confirmed with data, just brought up by 1 SRK user and never mentioned again.

Again, netcode was outsourced and removing the input delay might be problematic if it's related to that since the original team isn't there anymore. Definitely gonna take some work on their part, especially if they don't know the inner workings of what the previous team did.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm glad the only thing I have to worry about on the asw side of things are.dumb match ups xD

and by that I mean a majirity if the cast in their games being borderline broken though if everyone is then no one is

Kappa

Sucks their net code doesn't handle over 1.5k miles that well. Good thing I live in California. Like it does short to mid really well but long is meh

I feel like they will have to make a lot of the more popular characters easier to use. Ironman's S should not have to be so finicky spacing wise and ditto with Spiderman's basic combos. I am not saying have them Nova easy but they should have had at least the ABCS jBBCS type starter combo and not have their normals push them out of combo range.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you are going to have technical characters they have to be BY default slightly stronger than the others otherwise their is no point in putting the effort in.

Like around a 8% power difference something that makes or breaks at max potential but doesn't ruin it for everyone else

Mvc3 sucked at this

Dahbomb

That's pretty dope.

Get everyone's power level high enough so they can understand what's going on.

If you are going to have technical characters they have to be BY default slightly stronger than the others otherwise their is no point in putting the effort in.

Like around a 8% power difference something that makes or breaks at max potential but doesn't ruin it for everyone else

Mvc3 sucked at this
There are still technical, hard to play characters at the top end like Magneto, Morrigan, Viper and Strider (non XF).

Spider Man is hard to play but it's not like Spider Man is a bad character, he's actually quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom