• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna make some early predictions on who I think are the most likely players to excel at Marvel Infinite in its first year. There's definitely gonna be some surprises, but I think these are the safest picks for people who could do serious damage at majors and at Evo in 2018. I've grouped the players into 3 tiers.

Tier 1:
  • Justin Wong. This is a no-brainer. He's the marvelous one. He's such a solid pick that I think there's a wide gulf between tier 1 and tier 2.
Tier 2:
  • Chris G. Best umvc3 player all-time, champion-level player at many fighting games but best at Marvel.
Tier 3: These 11 guys not in any order.
  • Filipino Champ. No-brainer pick. One of the all-time best at umvc3, a top SF4 and SFV player, and loves Marvel. He's gonna go in hard.
  • Kane Blueriver. We've seen what he can accomplish over the last couple years, and he even won Evo with what some consider a low-tier team. If he works as hard at MVCI as he did at umvc3, watch the fuck out.
  • PR Rog. Top-level player in multiple games, won a bunch of Marvel 3 majors, and got 2nd place at Evo for vanilla.
  • Yipes. He wasn't a top umvc3 player over the long term, but the dude lives and breathes Marvel. He's gonna go in super hard when Infinite comes out, and he's gonna be hella good.
  • Viscant. He figured out the best strategy in vanilla Marvel 3 before anyone else did, and he won Evo off that. He won't be a threat long term, but in the first year of Infinite he's one to watch out for.
  • RayRay. One of the best umvc3 players. Known as a Marvel player but also does surprisingly well in SFV, so we know he's not a one-trick pony. He's gonna go in hard on Infinite.
  • Tokido. He plays, and wins, at practically every fighting game that's made in Japan. Was a serious threat in vanilla mvc3. If there's any esports money behind Infinite, and I think there will be, he'll be coming for it.
  • Nemo. One of the best in multiple games including umvc3. Several top Japanese Street Fighter players have expressed an interest in Infinite, but I don't know if they're gonna stick to it. I think Tokido and Nemo are the two most likely Japanese players to stick with the game and play it well enough to be a serious threat. I said tier 3 wasn't in any order, but I would put Nemo a bit below Tokido for being a threat in the first year.
  • Flocker. He came out of nowhere at Season's Beatings 2011 and dominated the west coast in the east vs west team tournament. He also won that major and he's an Evo champion at umvc3. It's a mistake to understimate him.
  • SonicFox. He's pretty close to unstoppable at all of the recent NRS games and is one of the best in the world at several other fighters. He even does pretty well in SFV. If he decides to play MVCI and he takes it seriously, he could be a serious threat. Dude is extremely talented at fighting games in general.
  • Marn. This might be a surprise pick, but surprise wins are Marn's specialty. He's the only TvC Evo champion. He was a major threat in vanilla mvc3 and beat ChrisG in umvc3 at Evo. He's unpredictable, but on a good day he's all but unstoppable. You should never underestimate Marn.

I'm gonna make some early predictions on who I think are the most likely players to excel at Marvel Infinite in its first year. There's definitely gonna be some surprises, but I think these are the safest picks for people who could do serious damage at majors and at Evo in 2018. I've grouped the players into 3 tiers.

Tier 1:
  • Justin Wong. This is a no-brainer. He's the marvelous one. He's such a solid pick that I think there's a wide gulf between tier 1 and tier 2.
Tier 2:
  • Chris G. Best umvc3 player all-time, champion-level player at many fighting games but best at Marvel.
Tier 3: These 11 guys not in any order.
  • Filipino Champ. No-brainer pick. One of the all-time best at umvc3, a top SF4 and SFV player, and loves Marvel. He's gonna go in hard.
  • Kane Blueriver. We've seen what he can accomplish over the last couple years, and he even won Evo with what some consider a low-tier team. If he works as hard at MVCI as he did at umvc3, watch the fuck out.
  • PR Rog. Top-level player in multiple games, won a bunch of Marvel 3 majors, and got 2nd place at Evo for vanilla.
  • Yipes. He wasn't a top umvc3 player over the long term, but the dude lives and breathes Marvel. He's gonna go in super hard when Infinite comes out, and he's gonna be hella good.
  • Viscant. He figured out the best strategy in vanilla Marvel 3 before anyone else did, and he won Evo off that. He won't be a threat long term, but in the first year of Infinite he's one to watch out for.
  • RayRay. One of the best umvc3 players. Known as a Marvel player but also does surprisingly well in SFV, so we know he's not a one-trick pony. He's gonna go in hard on Infinite.
  • Tokido. He plays, and wins, at practically every fighting game that's made in Japan. Was a serious threat in vanilla mvc3. If there's any esports money behind Infinite, and I think there will be, he'll be coming for it.
  • Nemo. One of the best in multiple games including umvc3. Several top Japanese Street Fighter players have expressed an interest in Infinite, but I don't know if they're gonna stick to it. I think Tokido and Nemo are the two most likely Japanese players to stick with the game and play it well enough to be a serious threat. I said tier 3 wasn't in any order, but I would put Nemo a bit below Tokido for being a threat in the first year.
  • Flocker. He came out of nowhere at Season's Beatings 2011 and dominated the west coast in the east vs west team tournament. He also won that major and he's an Evo champion at umvc3. It's a mistake to understimate him.
  • SonicFox. He's pretty close to unstoppable at all of the recent NRS games and is one of the best in the world at several other fighters. He even does pretty well in SFV. If he decides to play MVCI and he takes it seriously, he could be a serious threat. Dude is extremely talented at fighting games in general.
  • Marn. This might be a surprise pick, but surprise wins are Marn's specialty. He's the only TvC Evo champion. He was a major threat in vanilla mvc3 and beat ChrisG in umvc3 at Evo. He's unpredictable, but on a good day he's all but unstoppable. You should never underestimate Marn.

Move Marn to tier 1. He will make top 8 evo 2018 free.

Replace Flocker, Nemo and Tokido with Clockwork, Apology Man and GoldenBoyNeo.

Dahbomb

Nerdjosh going to be good at Marvel out of the gate too. Probably will be good month one then fade way.

Flash Metroid too will be good month one.

I don't expect Full Schedule or KBR to be good out of the gate. These guys will take some time founding their groove in the game.

Nerdjosh going to be good at Marvel out of the gate too. Probably will be good month one then fade way.

Flash Metroid too will be good month one.

I don't expect Full Schedule or KBR to be good out of the gate. These guys will take some time founding their groove in the game.

I considered NerdJosh when I was making that list but I think he belongs at tier 4 along with FullSchedule. I did not consider FlashMetroid.

Beckx

bish was just a mod the way that Marty O'Donnell and Joe Staten were just bungie employees, right?

times, they are a changin'

2gbUAC5.jpg

Kanye posted a list of his favorite Wii games an TvC got a shoutout

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Twitch's new ad thing is such crap. Always have to refresh after it's over. And if you thought Twitch used a lot of resources back then it's even worse now.

Sayad

From Ultra David thread, something Vicious actually brought up as a negative:
We have people traveling from all over the place, just trying to seal those spots...
That's kinda unfair!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTtp3unEPys

And then people proceed to cry when an event takes place in Brazil with no names filling up top 8. Get the fuck out with this scrubby safe space shit, Vicious, how is people traveling to events a bad thing?!

Reality is, they're just salty that their local hero wasn't actually good enough to make it because someone from the outside was better. It's pure scrub mentality where the solution isn't getting better, but bending the roles to make it easier for lesser players to qualify.

Better players traveling to local events made them way more watchable. Some of the best moments in the season, stuff like RB's run at NA finals wouldn't have happened if events were gated. Really hope Capcom would just ignore those scrubs, else CC finals will be filled with Julios.

NEO0MJ

I understand wanting your local event actually having local reps in the top 8 but yeah it won't make for an entertaining show.

Wild Card

And then people proceed to cry when an event takes place in Brazil with no names filling up top 8. Get the fuck out with this scrubby safe space shit Vicious how is people traveling to events a bad thing?!

Reality is, they're just salty that their local hero wasn't actually good enough to make it because someone from the outside was better. It's pure scrub mentality where the solution isn't getting better, but bending the roles to make it easier for lesser players to qualify.

Better players traveling to local events made them way more watchable. Some of the best moments in the season, stuff like RB's run at NA finals wouldn't have happened if events were gated. Really hope Capcom would just ignore those scrubs, else CC finals will be filled with Julios.

This excuse no longer works becuase Du won Capcom Cup, Ricki got second, they did it, the rest of y'all need to put in the work. Someone should remind Vicious.

Sayad

Tournaments shouldn't cater to spectators. Ever.
A "competitive" tournament also shouldn't be trying to protect its local scene from outside competition.

I also fail to see how preventing outside competition is for the good of the scene, it's only for the good of the top two or three locals wallets. If I'm paying to travel to a tournament the higher the competition there the more tempting it is to go, and I imagine that's the case for everyone with expectations outside the prize pool which is usually most of the scene.

It's not the local tournaments that's catering to spectators here anyway, it's Capcom with its tour, where views are the main reason why the tour exist.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

And then people proceed to cry when an event takes place in Brazil with no names filling up top 8. Get the fuck out with this scrubby safe space shit Vicious how is people traveling to events a bad thing?!

Yea I agree completely. They should ditch the confusing as shit regional leaderboards, have just 1 global leaderboard and no auto qualifiers, have the top 32 people on the leaderboard get into CapCup. It incentivizes top players to travel more, which gives smaller tournaments bigger names, which draws more players to events and more eyes to streams. It's win win all around.

I would also completely change the point distribution to reward consistency more instead of overly emphasizing winning.

For example at a ranking event give points to top 8 like:

1st: 32
2nd: 24
3rd: 20
4th: 16
5th: 12
7th: 8

Then at premieres double it and give points down to top 16, and evo they can double or even triple that and trickle the points down further.

This way if you got 2 players going to 4 tournaments, the guy who gets 3rd place at all 4 is going to be better off then the guy who gets first at 1 and drowns in pools in the rest,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom