• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coda

Well, this is random: Justin Wong, Mike Ross and Gootecks are heading to the White House to play some SFV.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/08/twitch-white-house-event/

Lol that's awesome. Imagine Obama or Joe Biden getting down on some SF V.
pogchamp_by_twitchkreygasm-d81hs8a.png

shaowebb

Just brought this up in the other thread, but why aren't Mission Mode combos a rhythm game? Only FGC bother with them. Casuals try then give up because they can't get the timing. Why not just have a ghost performing it at half speed as inputs scroll by and you just play it rhythm game style as it speed up till folks get the timing down? Its simple, cross genre appeals to casuals, and trains both audiences to do combos properly.

Also why can't folks upload combos for folks to search, download, and practice in fighting games? Just save it as an input string and have training mode load up a ghost based on the input string and timing recorded by players. Wouldn't take up much storage at all to upload to a server or to download for players since it woudn't be recording video just inputs to practice and it'd teach them new combos. Hell it'd make the rhythm game continued player made content for the life of the game. Just make it searchable by criteria like char, #hits, and damage.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has been wanting these particulars.

Also why can't folks upload combos for folks to search, download, and practice in fighting games? Just save it as an input string and have training mode load up a ghost based on the input string and timing recorded by players. Wouldn't take up much storage at all to upload to a server or to download for players since it woudn't be recording video just inputs to practice and it'd teach them new combos.
I've been making this suggestion for years. Also have downloadable playlists like "[X Player]'s [X character] BnBs"

mbpm1

Just brought this up in the other thread, but why aren't Mission Mode combos a rhythm game? Only FGC bother with them. Casuals try then give up because they can't get the timing. Why not just have a ghost performing it at half speed as inputs scroll by and you just play it rhythm game style as it speed up till folks get the timing down? Its simple, cross genre appeals to casuals, and trains both audiences to do combos properly.

Also why can't folks upload combos for folks to search, download, and practice in fighting games? Just save it as an input string and have training mode load up a ghost based on the input string and timing recorded by players. Wouldn't take up much storage at all to upload to a server or to download for players since it woudn't be recording video just inputs to practice and it'd teach them new combos. Hell it'd make the rhythm game continued player made content for the life of the game. Just make it searchable by criteria like char, #hits, and damage.

So basically the Dark Souls Rune Messages for combos

Look at SFV's feature set.

Dahbomb

Fighting games are missing far more integral modes and features than what you are stating here. This is the sort of stuff you start adding after you have reached the number of features and modes in something like DOTA 2.

In addition, I don't like that fighting games put so much emphasis on learning combos in their tutorials. For new players it's more important to get that first hit and learn neutral plus basics rather than learning sick and situational combos that a lot of these tutorials/mission modes feature. There's a whole culture around combos that just feeds into itself and stuff like Mission modes just feeds into it even more. I have met so many casuals who fret over trying to do combos in something like Blazblue challenges but don't even know the game's systems or how to move well or how to even land that combo to begin with.

Speaking of DOTA 2 apparently another massive patch is upon us.

In addition, I don't like that fighting games put so much emphasis on learning combos in their tutorials. For new players it's more important to get that first hit and learn neutral plus basics rather than learning sick and situational combos that a lot of these tutorials/mission modes feature. There's a whole culture around combos that just feeds into itself and stuff like Mission modes just feeds into it even more. I have met so many casuals who fret over trying to do combos in something like Blazblue challenges but don't even know the game's systems or how to move well or how to even land that combo to begin with.
Blazblue challenge combos are usually a waste of time, but you have to start learning combos early in that game. If you focus only on that you are screwed, but its a heavily combo important series. It very much helps to get a subset of BnBs down early then focus on hit confirming them, both in neutral and mixup.

Fighting games are missing far more integral modes and features than what you are stating here. This is the sort of stuff you start adding after you have reached the number of features and modes in something like DOTA 2.

Combos are fun to do and look at. I love the trial mode in these games, and Blazblue's was the first one that I did a good portion of them. I just wished they had more practical combos in these modes.

Some of the fighting game basics you can pick up in a tutorial, but some other things are just supposed to come natural as you play more games. I know I started going on SRK, Dustloop, Dreamcancel, etc, when I first got into the genre when SSF4 came out, but after awhile I just wanted to learn as I was playing and not try too hard with the textbook stuff.

NEO0MJ

Blazblue challenge combos are usually a waste of time, but you have to start learning combos early in that game. If you focus only on that you are screwed, but its a heavily combo important series. It very much helps to get a subset of BnBs down early then focus on hit confirming them, both in neutral and mixup.

Yeah. If someone knows what they're doing they can end an opponent within three combos.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So, I think we played a pro NFL player in Tekken at PAX last year

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/08/...o-games-gaming-comic-books-batman-ben-affleck

GREEN: Yes. In my career I got paid to do marketing stuff, I know a lot just by osmosis of watching my agents negotiate, so I started going to video game events, to network with people and market myself. I went to E3, Electronic Entertainment Expo out in L.A., I went to my first PAX West convention in Seattle this past September. I’ve been going to Comic-Con, that’s the one thing about me and my family, we go to Comic-Con every year. I usually dress as Batman, but I am a Star Wars guy too and with all the Star Wars stuff coming out in the next five or six years, I may come as Vader for 2017 Comic-Con. I have a Vader mask and Storm Trooper helmets. My stepdaughter, she is with me, she is in the force. The force is strong with her. She did cosplay, and she had a white storm trooper helmet with a white suit. It was awesome. It’s in San Diego and that’s like the Super Bowl of Comic-Cons. People come from all over to go to it.

GREEN: No. I have placed. My best finish was eighth at PAX West, in a Tekken 7 tournament, that game is not out yet, it’s coming out. I have not bought a video game in years. If I could just get free video games for the rest of my life, I would die a very, very happy man, which I have been, so I have no complaints here. I give my feedback on the games, I broadcast their stuff, I talk about it and I get the games free.

Shouta, were you in the Tekken tournament at PAX this year?

shaowebb

Oh I'm not refuting that learning neutral and mixups and how to move and hit is more vital than combos. I'm just stating that the way they go about training players to do combos in particular doesn't really do anything. The ones in the game wont be the go to for the FGC who will blow through them just to test drive a few links and timings. The casuals wont use them enough to learn anything and the way they train them to do them is "just do this" instead of easing them into the timing on when. A video doesn't cut it. Slowing it down, teaching rhythm and pickup the pace as you go is how you teach that.

The searchable index or uploadable/downloadable combos I think is better overall than leaving folks to go youtube, because folks can directly get tools while they play to study and practice. This way they are encouraged to spend more time in game for stuff rather than letting them drift to the internet on a computer (since we all know how distracted they can get once there).

Just saying that the stuff they do put in place that is meant for combos is next to worthless. You could actually draw interest to those modes as a rhythm game setup and as a means for folks to grow their own name and popularity via uploads and upvoting their combos. Plus if it was community driven content that rhythm game and combo lab always has free continuing content.

They still need to learn neutral and mixups and all that but thats for a different mode. Just stating they need to fix the combo modes is all because what they got is pointless and isn't appealing to anyone.

Dahbomb

Justin, Floe, Marn, Sonicfox all in the chat talking shit. This is a good stream.
The hell is SonicFox doing talking shit in a Marvel stream?

Don't tell me he's gonna start some shit in Marvel Infinite. There was a time I was scared Sonic Fox would pick up Marvel 3 and whoop everyone with Zero (because that's how he crushes in most of his matches).

But nah Justin would hold that down.

The hell is SonicFox doing talking shit in a Marvel stream?

Don't tell me he's gonna start some shit in Marvel Infinite. There was a time I was scared Sonic Fox would pick up Marvel 3 and whoop everyone with Zero (because that's how he crushes in most of his matches).

But nah Justin would hold that down.

Yipes and Sonicfox have been talking about going at it in MVCI for a while now.

There's a good callout video but I'm having trouble finding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom