• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemstar

That's why I have a great deal of respect for people like Beef. If someone doesn't like a game because they've tried it and it's not their thing then that's perfectly reasonable. Blindly bashing games because it isn't "your game" on Twitter, forums, and other social outlets is toxic to communities.

I don't think people realize how much word of mouth can effect niche communities. It can single handedly sink some franchises. If you don't like something, fine, just don't go out of your way to try to drag it into the dirt out of some ill placed self righteousness of the only game allowed to be enjoyed is your own.
ironic because beef's shitposting about arcsys games comes across exactly like blind bashing

That's why I have a great deal of respect for people like Beef. If someone doesn't like a game because they've tried it and it's not their thing then that's perfectly reasonable. Blindly bashing games because it isn't "your game" on Twitter, forums, and other social outlets is toxic to communities.

I don't think people realize how much word of mouth can effect niche communities. It can single handedly sink some franchises. If you don't like something, fine, just don't go out of your way to try to drag it into the dirt out of some ill placed self righteousness of the only game allowed to be enjoyed is your own.
Are you sure you are talking about our Professor Beef?

CO_Andy

edit: It's also dope has hell that more people are playing SC2 on Dolphin with Aris' stream. Sometimes the server gets wrecked since too many people jump on, since (I might be wrong on how it works) some server has to send hexcodes for the people to connect with.
You can play online on Dolphin?! Might have to try playing SC2 again.

Village

I feel for you guys missing out on some great games due to visuals not meeting your standards. Street Fighter as a series would have died at inception.

Visuals are important, visuals sell games. Aesthetic appeal is one of the most important factors a game can have because it can literally make or break your game.

And I think its a pretty valid reason to play or not to play a video game. You don't like how it looks.

Though his Boba Fett is kinda nice:

Those pictures you posted of batman and Flash are fantastic yes. Namura designs are great.

Kalamari

It would be interesting to hear how Japanese feel about Blazblue character designs. I am pretty sure they would give a far different perspective on what makes a good character design and the motivation behind such designs.

Village

It would be interesting to hear how Japanese feel about Blazblue character designs. I am pretty sure they would give a far different perspective on what makes a good character design and the motivation behind such designs.

I think the BB designs are fine for what they are, they are this weird parody amalgamation of 00's anime.

As is GG with 90's and 80's ish anime. I don't like them very much, or they think are very good but they functionally work for what they need to be. Though some new folks in GG look like they belong more in blazblue than they belong in guilty gear and every time I see them it weird them out because they look like they are in the wrong era of anime.

Pompadour

I think the BB designs are fine for what they are, they are this weird parody amalgamation of 00's anime.

As is GG with 90's and 80's ish anime. I don't like them very much, or they think are very good but they functionally work for what they need to be. Though some new folks in GG look like they belong more in blazblue than they belong in guilty gear and every time I see them it weird them out because they look like they are in the wrong era of anime.

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of the new designs but I guess the way you describe them makes sense. Old anime is my jam and I see the new GG designs as a mix of boring, generic, and pandering. That is also how I would describe BlazBlue.

Sayad

Oh god, lol, the irony is killing me.

ironic because beef's shitposting about arcsys games comes across exactly like blind bashing
IePxIzI.gif

Mnpgr5O.gif

Nightii

Banned
Being fair, I find KI to be fun to play in spite of how it looks, so it's ok for me.

NRS games just lose the 50/50 every time* against me.

*Except Story Mode, the Blunder God's escapades crack me up without fail.

NEO0MJ

I rather like KI's art personally. I mean not all characters are good looking but there are some standouts like Fulgore and I love most of the stages.

*Except Story Mode, the Blunder God's escapades crack me up without fail.

Oh God, the scene where the revenants started pushing him around and then stomping him, lol.

I feel for you guys missing out on some great games due to visuals not meeting your standards. Street Fighter as a series would have died at inception.

Even with how superficial I am when it comes to picking mains, I won't ignore a game strictly based on it's art.

I don't care for most Blazblue character designs, but the roster is large enough where I might find one or two I like and the game is fun to play.

Edit: Oh god, didn't even know Beef's Cena pic was actually a gif till I saw the wink

I think Blazblue was supposed to be like a parody, thats why so many of their character designs are awful.

Yes and no, that's the main problem to me. Look at Platinum, it's such a parodic character... But she's the most well done magical girl done in a video game.

The problem with Arc these days is that they do mostly great characters out of terrible/uninspired tropes. Look at Raven in Xrd. In his first appearances he was a statue/uncomplete humain being with craked face, a calm voice. Now he's a maniac/sadistic/masochist crow/raven inspired character seen everywhere. But just look at how he moves, his animations, the details and you gotta admit he's probably the most well done maniac/sadistic/masochist crow/raven inspired character. Elphelt is kinda the same. She takes from the armed bride stereotype (Kill Bill and maybe others) but they tuned that down for the cheerful waifu shit. But well, all her animations, moves, guns, works very well for the bride and the cheerful waifu.

That's arc nowadays. They take a great idea like they did for this first episodes of GG, put some shitty anime trope on it to reassure their public who probably can't handle anything that isn't instantly identifiable, add useless details on the design (patterns! belts!) and do greats gameplay/animation for the characters out of all this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
do greats gameplay/animation for the characters out of all this.
Yup that's why I was saying what you see on the character select is barely even half the character. Arc sys characters have a ton of personality in combat.

To use sf for an example r Mika or ibuki are wtf or boring designs each but their in game actions sell the characters

The wtf character becomes fun to watch and the boring character becomes exciting

Sayad

One of the best examples of this is bedman, has one of the most boring designs in a fighting game, but once you see him moving he's suddenly up there with the best in recent years.

NEO0MJ

One of the best examples of this is bedman, has one of the most boring designs in a fighting game, but once you see him moving he's suddenly up there with the best in recent years.

I think the base design is good, but they mucked it up in typical modern Arc fashion.

My standards must be really low, because I like the art design and characters of all the fighting games I play. Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, KOF, Street Fighter, Skullgirls, GG, BB, UNIEL, Tekken, Soul Calibur, VF, I genuinely like them all.

I can't think of one fighting game I haven't played because I didn't like the characters or the art style. I'm just full of love and childlike wonder, I suppose.

Even Arcane Heart and its ilk?

Hmmm.

I do own the first Arcana Heart. Didn’t care for Arcana Heart 2. I wouldn’t mind playing the latest one, if I could get it localized. I do enjoy some of the characters in Arcana Heart, though I don’t hold their character designs in high regard. I hold Skullgirls in a much higher regard, just for comparison’s sake.

Since you brought it up, I do retract my statement about not playing some fighting games because of characters and/or visual style. These particular games weren’t on my mind until you made that post, but I haven’t played Aquapazza, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax or Nitro+ Blasters. The reason is mostly because I don’t really care for the characters from the respective anime, eroge, and whatever else they hail from; not enough to want to play them in a fighting game, anyway.

Conversely, I have owned, played and enjoyed Marvel vs Capcom and Injustice, largely due to me enjoying the characters from those comics. Some of the Dragonball Z and Naruto fighters are guilty pleasures too, I’ll admit.

I love characters, and fighting games have the best characters in video games. It’s one big reason why I’m really gravitating to hero shooters; I really like the characters made specifically for this thing. Yeah. I’m one of those people. Maybe the only one.

man, missed a lot it seems.

oh, you guys talking about platinum in a design discussion?

Platinum is fine

and not shitting on her?

Yes and no, that's the main problem to me. Look at Platinum, it's such a parodic character... But she's the most well done magical girl done in a video game.

and praising her? holy shit, lol

thomasorus, your insight and thoughts on character designs are always interesting to read, always <3

I think Blazblue was supposed to be like a parody, thats why so many of their character designs are awful.

What... you guys want a dissertation on the character designs of Blazblue with the "definition" of what a bad anime/design is?

I said BB had some bad designs, then I was asked to list some, I listed them, then I was scoffed at for listing them, then name called for it. As you can tell, there's no actual discussion and/or analysis to have had here.

Just like no one is going to come up and be asked to explain themselves when they bash NRS/KI designs. These things are completely subjective, I may not like these designs but someone else might, that's how it goes.

when talking about aesthetics, sure, subjective, but when talking designs you can very easily bring up objective points that people that actually discuss. like when mentioning that bb designs feel like a parody where the creators aren't in on the joke, or that generic anime feel or whatever

but really, how did you guys switch from aesthetics to designs lol

To be fare, most of the criticism KI and NRS games get is because of the ugly models, not the actual designs, which really require no explanation past linking a picture of said model.

this has always been my problem since nrs moved to 3d models. the designs were fine in the 2d games, but end up ugly now because they can still sell despite being ass ugly

didn't know people shit on ki though, aside from the particles everywhere because of showing off the power of the one, i thought the game was generally liked visually

guilty gear xrd revelator is a fun game

yes

this discussion reminds me of a thought i had earlier this weekend. it's crazy to me that i often forget that i think sf4 is an ugly ass game. even though it probably makes sense considering i don't see the game much now, even for the last two years of it's competitive life the thought of how ugly it was rarely crossed my mind. but that game is ugly

That's why I have a great deal of respect for people like Beef.

lol, love ya beef but nah

Oh god, lol, the irony is killing me.

lol

Only Western fighting game i'm interested in is the Mortal Kombat remake fan project.

but skullgirls tho

My standards must be really low, because I like the art design and characters of all the fighting games I play. Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, KOF, Street Fighter, Skullgirls, GG, BB, UNIEL, Tekken, Soul Calibur, VF, I genuinely like them all.

I can't think of one fighting game I haven't played because I didn't like the characters or the art style. I'm just full of love and childlike wonder, I suppose.

mk, injustice, yatagarasu. nrs is expected, but i'm often surprised that i can never get past it with yatagarasu. every time i've thought about getting into the game, one look at the art always makes me ask myself why i think that would be a good idea

Village

I don't like bedman in GG, because he's one of the new characters who feels like he needs to be more on BB than GG, that isn't an insult. His design feels 00's anime as opposed to the bunches of 90's and 80's anime than is guilty gear. And to be honest Bedman feels like he's in the wrong genre entirely dude feels like he should be in persona or some dengan rompa death game type shit than a fighting game.

NEO0MJ

I don't like bedman, because he's one of the new characters who feels like he needs to be more on BB than GG, that isn't an insult. His design feels 00's anime as opposed to the bunches of 90's and 80's anime than is guilty gear. And to be honest Bedman feels like he's in the wrong genre entirely dude feels like he should be in persona or some dengan rompa death game type shit than a fighting game.

Maybe if they went with a Roujin Z styled bed though less bulky) instead it would have been better.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yup that's why I was saying what you see on the character select is barely even half the character. Arc sys characters have a ton of personality in combat.

Yup. Even now I still dislike Jack-O's character portrait. But once it gets ingame with her mask on and animations, she's way better.

To use sf for an example r Mika or ibuki are wtf or boring designs each but their in game actions sell the characters

The wtf character becomes fun to watch and the boring character becomes exciting

There's still plenty of boring characters boring to watch too. :p
But since Chrono Phantasma I feel Arc finally achieved something with their characters. They somehow have the SF3 syndrome: characters are only charismatic when they move, you can't rely just on artworks now. When you watch Bullet and see the feline attitude, the coat kick loop combo of Azrael or Amane drilling your ass, you feel they finally made it. The only problem is the lack of visibility for many characters because they use too many useless details but I won't explain that again, did it multiple times already.

The difference between BlazBlue and Xrd is that BB characters are limited in frames while Xrd chars aren't. They kind of abused this in SIGN as Bedman is actually hard to read and Leo was the opposite, very stiff. But with Jack'o crazy (and readable) moves, Jam's redesigned moves and Raven, they found a nice balance between going crazy and being readable. And also chars like Jack'O/Raven don't have to follow sprites from previous games so their animations are way better.

KOF14 also have this. New chars are better to look at than old characters because they followed the old sprites that lacked good animation and used long key frames to give visual impact.

man, missed a lot it seems.

oh, you guys talking about platinum in a design discussion?
and not shitting on her?
and praising her? holy shit, lol

thomasorus, your insight and thoughts on character designs are always interesting to read, always <3

Thanks. <3

Yup. Even now I still dislike Jack-O's character portrait. But once it gets ingame with her mask on and animations, she's way better.

They should never have put her mask off. Sometimes you should just let people imagination take over. Let her be creepy and sexy and players will wonder about what's behind the mask. That's way more cool than giving you waifu n°899. Same for Haehyun. What's the point of putting a girl inside the big master if she has no impact in battle?

Yeah I know the answer. Now they can sell fan products (pillow hugs, mugs, cards, borderline calendars) of those two more female characters instead of just Jam and Dizzy for this episode. And that's typically what I don't like about Arc these days... But I guess the new public they want to attract might like this. And they have to pay those developers.

Same for Haehyun. What's the point of putting a girl inside the big master if she has no impact in battle?

Man, i couldn't disagree more. Without the robot+girl pilot aspect he'd just be Gouken clone #4. At least now there's something unique, plus it appeals to fans of girl characters, robots and burly old men. It's a win-win in my book.

And they -really- nailed the robot animations, like at the end of a round when he overheats, opens up and Haehyun's hand comes out with a little fan? That's great.

Sayad

European Bison player won a premier event!!!
With Necalli. ;p
Step your game up US Bison players. :3

shaowebb

I'd love to hear some of the folks here describe how they would make the characters in Blaz Blue look given the stories, personalities, and moveset themes the characters are supposed to utilize.

Not scour the internet looking for cool fanartists to reimagine this for them either...I want to hear how they would redesign the looks. Body type, clothing accessories, posture for the personality, various poses on the attacks described, effects. The whole nine yards all without looking up someone else with talent to do it for them and posting that or describing it instead of showing us their own creativity here.

Because I'll outright say this...folks here talk a lot of shit and have no idea how hard it is to design a character from start to finish for animation in a game. They just repost their favorite game or character from it and try to describe a fan fiction reinterpretation of it. You have to consider shit like colors, or shapes on the body competing for the eyes attention because of silly shit like too many curve shapes in a cluster, or stuff like pointed shapes accidentally creating angrier and dangerous vibes for a character than intended...sometimes just by a pose looking too sharp you can blow a character's animated personality by creating corners instead of curves or vice versa. Plus shit like too many props and accessories competing for importance on a theme crop up by folks designing a new prop for every new attack they come up with.

Focusing a design to carry a full character's theme, personality and intended playstyle is ridiculously detailed shit. Its not something you just go into because you've played a lot of games. You gotta understand a fuck load of kinematic theory, color theory, and general light/shading, and linework theory to get right.

Folks talking shit on Blaz Blue designs are just letting anime emotions or game preference shit get in the way IMO. Watch it in motion and consider the personality of the characters in the story and how they were supposed to play. That shit was designed with some pretty fucking stellar attention to detail.

Seriously...get over the forum fighting game expert mindset here and realize that this is fucking deep animation and art theory shit and its completely removed from what your opinions of a good or bad character in a game are about. You can like or hate whatever kinds of designs you feel like, but that doesn't make you qualified to claim that all designs you don't personally prefer were "badly designed".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom