• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to hear some of the folks here describe how they would make the characters in Blaz Blue look given the stories, personalities, and moveset themes the characters are supposed to utilize.

Not scour the internet looking for cool fanartists to reimagine this for them either...I want to hear how they would redesign the looks. Body type, clothing accessories, posture for the personality, various poses on the attacks described, effects. The whole nine yards all without looking up someone else with talent to do it for them and posting that or describing it instead of showing us their own creativity here.

Because I'll outright say this...folks here talk a lot of shit and have no idea how hard it is to design a character from start to finish for animation in a game. They just repost their favorite game or character from it and try to describe a fan fiction reinterpretation of it. You have to consider shit like colors, or shapes on the body competing for the eyes attention because of silly shit like too many curve shapes in a cluster, or stuff like pointed shapes accidentally creating angrier and dangerous vibes for a character than intended...sometimes just by a pose looking too sharp you can blow a character's animated personality by creating corners instead of curves or vice versa. Plus shit like too many props and accessories competing for importance on a theme crop up by folks designing a new prop for every new attack they come up with.

Focusing a design to carry a full character's theme, personality and intended playstyle is ridiculously detailed shit. Its not something you just go into because you've played a lot of games. You gotta understand a fuck load of kinematic theory, color theory, and general light/shading, and linework theory to get right.

Folks talking shit on Blaz Blue designs are just letting anime emotions or game preference shit get in the way IMO. Watch it in motion and consider the personality of the characters in the story and how they were supposed to play. That shit was designed with some pretty fucking stellar attention to detail.

Seriously...get over the forum fighting game expert mindset here and realize that this is fucking deep animation and art theory shit and its completely removed from what your opinions of a good or bad character in a game are about. You can like or hate whatever kinds of designs you feel like, but that doesn't make you qualified to claim that all designs you don't personally prefer were "badly designed".

This is a lot of words just to say "well you're not an artist so"

Xg3DEhc.gif

shaowebb

Meh. I saw it as more of a "you guys don't pay any attention to titles you aren't into and talk out your ass on things you know nothing about." KI, NRS, BB being poorly designed artistically? Pftt...yeah okay.

You don't like something thats one thing, but claiming it was badly designed? Yeah thats ridiculous. These titles work the themes of their roster to the breaking point most times from color, to animation, to linework. Stellar art teams on them all.

Meh. I saw it as more of a "you guys don't pay any attention to titles you aren't into and talk out your ass on things you know nothing about." KI, NRS, BB being poorly designed artistically? Pftt...yeah okay.

You don't like something thats one thing, but claiming it was badly designed? Yeah thats ridiculous. These titles work the themes of their roster to the breaking point most times from color, to animation, to linework. Stellar art teams on them all.

but what about the man-faces

shaowebb

but what about the man-faces

Thats something you don't see in the sketch drafts of the character. Design and implementation can become removed from each other. I was and still am certain this was caused by someone who was rough in Zbrush doing a beginner error of stretching a model to uniformly make her body type a bit lankier to her limbs a longer looking appeal. If you lengthen a leg to show sexier legs your arms look to short and then the torso and so on. Many just use stretching to get things that are minor stretches, but if you don't mask the head you get Raven. Sharp jaws become boxy, foreheads become long, chins become firm and your textures make you have the highest eyebrows ever. You do that it stretches the head and the textures as well if the UV's are in place. You can see instances of a blurred texture on the worst models. Wonder Woman especially.

Horrible, but a failure on the modelers part, not the character designer or animator.
People frequently confuse appeal for quality, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that there's a lot of shit talking crossing beyond the appeal line.

This honestly is the most concise way to describe all this and as we all know I am not good at making explanations small. I am ridiculously thorough.

Dahbomb

The model is the end product and what the consumers see. That reflects poorly on the original design even if the original design might be stellar. Consumers aren't playing concept arts.

This may come as a shocker but the average consumer is far more critical of these end product designs than just about anyone in this thread. You guys catching feels over opinions on a forum? Just take these designs on the street and ask every day folk whether they would want to play as those characters... then realize why certain fighting games aren't as popular as they should be despite having excellent aesthetics (according to you) and game play design.

Tripon

The model is the end product and what the consumers see. That reflects poorly on the original design even if the original design might be stellar. Consumers aren't playing concept arts.

This may come as a shocker but the average consumer is far more critical of these end product designs than just about anyone in this thread. You guys catching feels over opinions on a forum? Just take these designs on the street and ask every day folk whether they would want to play as those characters... then realize why certain fighting games aren't as popular as they should be despite having excellent aesthetics (according to you) aND game play design.

It's not just one game for NRS either. This has been a constant criticism for that company starting with MK9 and it has continued though Injustice, MKX, and now Injustice 2.

You can throw the modelers on the bus, but they still seem can't get faces right. So it's either they are okay with how their in game models look, or they seem to employ incompetent modelers over multiple dev cycles. Which is it?

Dahbomb

The faces have been getting a bit better over time, I am just going to chalk up Supergirl to early game development for now.

Sayad

Horrible, but a failure on the modelers part, not the character designer or animator.
I thought that was the conclusion we came up with! NRS and to a lesser extent KI get criticized mostly for their bad models, not actual designs. New Cinder is a legit awful design though, so is Injustice's Scorpion.

VariantX

I thought that was the conclusion we came up with! NRS and to a lesser extent KI get criticized mostly for their bad models, not actual designs. New Cinder is a legit awful design though, so is Injustice's Scorpion.

Its the face mask that totally kills the new Cinder for me, why did they give the mask a mouth?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
From a playstyle and mechanic standpoint Xrd is probably the most welcoming and inviting game for fans of fighting games.

So many characters use mechanics and play styles from other games as their gimmick.

Ramlethal is a tekken character has ewgf, 3d game style strings and juggle combos, has unique wall splat combos that take note from tekken.

Slayer, kum, leo, faust, and KY all mesh well with street fighter styles.

Bedman, chipp millia, and zato mesh with marvel

Sol meshes with kof

Jacko meshes with blazblue

There are more and some characters mesh with multiple games but it's really something that's unique to gg imo

Dahbomb

NRS games actually have a slew of bad animations and I am willing to go in huge detail about it over PM if someone wants to actually read through it. But of course just like the talk about aesthetics it's just going to get brushed aside as "you don't know what you are talking about because you aren't an animator".

The bottom line of "you don't do work on it" and thus you can't criticize it is a bad one and doesn't promote forum discussion. Most people here shouldn't be allowed to criticize games because they don't work on them so they don't know how hard it is to make even simple stuff in games.

But as consumers it's pretty easy to see when some game does something well and another doesn't do as well. Even if both games are well above the "good" category, if one does a lot better than it makes the other game look a lot worse. Kinda like the GGXrd effect.

notworksafe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207705029]What shaowebb is trying to say is that I'm the only one allowed to shit on ASW characters.[/QUOTE]

if anyone knows ugly, it's you

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207705029]What shaowebb is trying to say is that I'm the only one allowed to shit on ASW characters.[/QUOTE]

Nah. Pretty much the folks confusing appeal and quality thing was the best summary. Being an animator or not doesn't factor at all. And yes NRS does have some animations that are just sloppy, but it also had some that were stellar. Also remember I wasn't focusing on just one studio in that list. KI, BB, and NRS all have stellar character design. Very well thought out stuff in all of them.

Once again though quality not being the same as appeal. Like it or not though I say that the designs cannot be in good faith called bad quality in these series. Implementation? Yeah sure. Tons of hit or miss instances in the 3d ones for sure though BB is the most solid of the 3 at implementing what it designed IMO because it doesn't have to reinterpret designs into a new media via 3d modeling stages.

For what its worth I mock the shit out of Jojo designs, but given the way the characters in the series move, and utilize their themes with their personalities I can't call the designs bad quality entirely...the over the top posing and outfits though are a haaaaaaaaaaaaard sell on appeal though, but I got to admit they fit the themes of the fighting styles and personalities most times in this oddly toned series. Its probably why it developed such a following. Its very different but it went so far out the other side on design that it actually created its own universe with how folks behave and look. Its an anomaly, but it was designed to do what it does. If ever there was a series where just looking at someone's picture was not even a quarter of the design its this one apparently.

shaowebb

As ridiculous as the fighting powers of the characters in Jojo are I really don't think you could tell a story like that without the characters purposely being overly ridiculous in both their body language and clothing. The tone of fights would just seem entirely seperate or off otherwise.

Remember, I am not a fan of Jojo either. Has very little appeal to me and I mock its silliness, but I gotta respect it for what its doing as having quality design work to carry its style of character personalities/fightings styles/and tones. Its designed very carefully IMO.

Neoxon

So how many of you have the PC version of SFV & are planning on modding the remaining Wave 1 characters into Training Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom