• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

This is kind of a weird post. I didn't know Kadey was banned (if you're reading this, 'hello!') -- and I'm just friends with her.

No one dates me and lives to tell about it. Hmph.

So did you eat her liver with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti or not?

I can imagine Markman doing the Hannibal slurp and going, "I'll rate that 5 golden letters."

do people really talk like that? i don't think i've ever heard any of those before.

maybe it's because you work in schools?
Oh yeah. Teachers aren't even allowed to say kids are dumb or annoying anymore to other teachers. They use terms like "low-level learner", "challenging", "lacking a growth mindset", and if a student is being an asshole we're taught to say "this is a learning opportunity". If a kid is pissing everyone off it's "an opportunity to grow as a person". The entire teaching profession expects teachers to be Christ-like in their love of every single kid, and it's insufferable. It doesn't prepare them for reality at all. Because when you get a job one day, your boss will give zero shits about you. The American education system is a huge part of this whole "special snowflake" bullshit we have going on. All the way down to the lessons. Kids will get upset if they learn about evolution? Expect the principal to have a talk with you about whether you really need to teach that lesson.

Love George Carlin - saved for later.

Dahbomb

I never realized evolution was such a big deal until I got out of high school. I had learned about evolution both in Pakistani and US schools. We never had anyone in our class make a fuss about it.

Then during my med school I was just talking with someone and somehow evolution came up. Dude straight up said "evolution is a concept drummed up by white devils to steer us away from Islam" and I was like "you know some of those white devils say the exact same shit as you right?"

Onemic

I never realized evolution was such a big deal until I got out of high school. I had learned about evolution both in Pakistani and US schools. We never had anyone in our class make a fuss about it.

Then during my med school I was just talking with someone and somehow evolution came up. Dude straight up said "evolution is a concept drummed up by white devils to steer us away from Islam" and I was like "you know some of those white devils say the exact same shit as you right?"

I didnt know it was a big deal until I came to gaf. Questioning evolution is pretty non existent in Canada. Im still sorta dumbfounded that it's actually a topic of discussion in the US tbh.

can't believe people think wiz is a white devil for organizing evo

This is going to be an exciting couple of months when people figure out team and gem and system mechanics for MvCi. I wonder who will be the Wesker (strong early game)and who will become the Virgil.

Linari

Neo Member
This is going to be an exciting couple of months when people figure out team and gem and system mechanics for MvCi. I wonder who will be the Wesker (strong early game)and who will become the Virgil.

I bet Jedah/Captain Marvel/Ultron to be strong early on with Morrigan/Dorm/Zero coming to lead the pack especially Zero once people get the dirt.

Dante is looking good and fun, but I need to see how he survives the neutral against the faster characters. Wolverine/spiderman/jJill were nightmares matchup wise when I last played marvel. Team JeDante with soul gem is gonna be hella fun.

CO_Andy

I didnt know it was a big deal until I came to gaf. Questioning evolution is pretty non existent in Canada. Im still sorta dumbfounded that it's actually a topic of discussion in the US tbh.
took me a few secs to figure out you were talking about evolution, not Dragon Ball Evolution :(

I bet Jedah/Captain Marvel/Ultron to be strong early on with Morrigan/Dorm/Zero coming to lead the pack especially Zero once people get the dirt.

Dante is looking good and fun, but I need to see how he survives the neutral against the faster characters. Wolverine/spiderman/jJill were nightmares matchup wise when I last played marvel. Team JeDante with soul gem is gonna be hella fun.

I think a team that has a slow projectile character with a character that can teleport will be the first really good team followed by a team that can maintain sustained corner pressure and resets.

Lulubop

I'm gonna try out

firebrand/jedah (scythe lock down tag to firebrand for shenanigans)

Gamorra/jedah for gun lockdown and scythes.

image.php

Watching Max play the Dissidia beta, it looks like the gameflow is still the same except with 3v3, though it looks like the mechanics are slimmed a bit, though hopefully all the rpg mechanics like customizing skills and your dash function are in the full game (especially since the default dash is really linear). I wish the movement in the Dissida games flowed better with the offense, SE in general doesn't have good action game "feel" in a lot of their attempts (FF15 is a glaring example). What I mean is that whenever you do offense in something like Dissidia, you basically stop and do it, it feels like their is no transition from dashing around into going to attack, feeling like the momentum of the movement is completely loss. An example of something like this being done better would be the Gundam games and look at how they move, they are able to take shots and swipe at each other while managing their boost.

shaowebb

Im fully expecting Zero, Gamora, and Jedah to get ridiculous once gems and tags come into play. Gamora air guns coupled with short hops, tags and gems just promises stank nasty pressure imo. Jeddah and Zero will suffocate folks easily too. I don't see any of those three getting shutdown by projectile reflecting or low chip or damage outputs in general either.

Ultron could go either way. Ditto for Cap. Marvel.

Line_HTX

can't believe people think wiz is a white devil for organizing evo

I thought y'all were talking about the EVO Tournament for a second, ha...

Coda

Looks like a lot of people will be jumping on the Dante/Jedah team, which makes sense they're both cool AF. I'm wondering if my Dante/Haggar team will be viable or will get zoned the fuck out like in MvC3.

NEO0MJ

Excited to try out more than a few characters in Infinite so I have no idea what my team will be. Ultron and Jedah are the newcomers I want to try out first, though.

I guess that works for Tekken and ASW games, but what about NRS' games?! 🤔

I don't see why it wouldn't apply to those games. They play differently.

The entire reason why NRS games have an option to switch to QCF style inputs is to accommodate SF players who are incapable of adapting to change.

Dahbomb

It goes back to people don't want to try something different and start over with a new game. Kind of depressing, really.
Fighting games are hard and take a ton of investment (we are talking thousands of hours here). It's also why a lot of people stick to one MOBA most of the time even though the skills are highly transferable. It's difficult to shake thousands of hours of muscle memory and habits.

Hell a lot of people just stick to one competitive game period.

Csr

I stopped trying to learn tekken because of the stuff that james chen mentioned.

Most other fighting games i have played were a lot more interesting to learn when starting out, learning specific match ups in tekken felt too tedious after a certain point.

I stopped trying to learn tekken because of the stuff that james chen mentioned.

Most other fighting games i have played were a lot more interesting to learn when starting out, learning specific match ups in tekken felt too tedious after a certain point.

See the secret to having fun is to not give a damn about the matchup and just go for party starters! Fuck what they are doing, you are going to get a combo or die trying!
That's probably why there are tons of scumbag Lili players.

Dahbomb

I am personally curious how people can balance playing an MMO along side a competitive game on that note, assuming the person at least has a full time job.
Depends on how much you are into a MMO. You can play an hour or two of an MMO a day and still do fine in an MMO (with the occasional marathon session). For competitive games you have to play multiple hours a day at a higher stress environment setting for a much longer duration to be competitive.

Of course you can play a ton of games if your goal isn't to be super competitive. It's all about amount of time put into each game.

Csr

See the secret to having fun is to not give a damn about the matchup and just go for party starters! Fuck what they are doing, you are going to get a combo or die trying!
That's probably why there are tons of scumbag Lili players.

Not knowing when it is your turn or how to deal with certain strings was not very fun.
I have had fun playing Tekken casually with friends offline over the years though but I rarely get the chance to do that unfortunately.

Csr

Did you even bother to learn the fundamentals? Sounds like you didn't.

Maybe i did miss something important, i was trying to learn about movement in tekken and how some moves universally have similar properties and data but that stuff didn't seem to be nearly enough. Movement of course also requires a lot of time to get good at.

At some point you are going to get touched and you may never get a turn if you don't know how to deal with match ups which is the same as other games the difference is the amount of information required because of the big movesets.

Dahbomb

Your turn in Tekken is after you block. Just about every move is - after block. As far as strings go, a lot of them you can just block it out mid but may have a high or low attack thrown in that you can duck/block/low parry. It's a risk on their part because these attacks are predictable when they are part of are string unless they have mix ups in which case it's a mix up and you may have to guess. But if your spacing is proper, then people aren't going to be throwing out strings, they will be throwing out poke moves that are usually all - on block.

If you block a move that makes you stagger back then that's the type of move that is going to be positive on block but these moves usually have a lot of start up or hit high (or block) meaning they have other counters to them than just blocking. Likewise if you block something and they stagger then that means they are extremely punishable which is something you see quite a bit blocking certain low moves.

Top Bottom