• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
JoJo ASB:

Koichi VS Jolyne:
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29037160

Koichi is probably in the bottom 5 in terms of tiers, but even then he's not so bad. His big problem is his small moveset, largely worsened by a set of moves that are either very situational (his projectiles) or with hardly any use at all (a move that creates a spring trap on the ground that does no damage and can't be combo'd off of).

What he does have, is really good, though. In S-OFF he has pesky normals that have surprising range and can confirm into combos. In S-ON he can not as good normals, but he makes up for with 'S-H-I-T'. This special is a multi-hitting overhead, that can be Stand Rushed. This means while Echoes is doing an overhead, Koichi is running in doing lows. This is really the only Marvel-esque mix-up where you have to fuzzy guard and hope for the best. This is particularly dangerous at the wall since there's no pushback to soften the pressure. Once hit with this move, a 'gravity' status effect is put in place, forcing the opponent to crouch. To stand up, you have to press back, meaning to block high, you have to hold up-back. This makes blocking the mid/low mix-ups even harder.

Damage wise, Koichi does 'okay', but not the best. He feels pretty basic when you play as him, but if you dig deep you can find some useful set-ups and tricks with him (and you'll most likely have to dig deep to win). He's a small character, which means he can be hard to hit, but he gets juggled like crazy. He's pretty unique, he just needs tweaks to diversify his abilities.

What makes this match-vid interesting is seeing a low tier character VS a high tier character like Jolyne.

Dahbomb

Team armor or multihit projectile are the hard counters. Im waiting to see a bullshit Hulk/Jedah team run havok on reality stone tournies using space stone. Itd be pure hell for jump stone flowcharters.
Reality stone has been doing poorly at high level (but dominates mid level). All the best players are using Space right now (FChamp, Sonic Fox, Justin, ChrisG).

But that was not the point of the original post.

shaowebb

If it involves the bonchan tweet Im on my phone and i dont know how to translate it. Is he even a marvel player or is this just a pun related to his kidney stones?

Tizoc

JoJo ASB:

Koichi VS Jolyne:
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29037160

Koichi is probably in the bottom 5 in terms of tiers, but even then he's not so bad. His big problem is his small moveset, largely worsened by a set of moves that are either very situational (his projectiles) or with hardly any use at all (a move that creates a spring trap on the ground that does no damage and can't be combo'd off of).

What he does have, is really good, though. In S-OFF he has pesky normals that have surprising range and can confirm into combos. In S-ON he can not as good normals, but he makes up for with 'S-H-I-T'. This special is a multi-hitting overhead, that can be Stand Rushed. This means while Echoes is doing an overhead, Koichi is running in doing lows. This is really the only Marvel-esque mix-up where you have to fuzzy guard and hope for the best. This is particularly dangerous at the wall since there's no pushback to soften the pressure. Once hit with this move, a 'gravity' status effect is put in place, forcing the opponent to crouch. To stand up, you have to press back, meaning to block high, you have to hold up-back. This makes blocking the mid/low mix-ups even harder.

Damage wise, Koichi does 'okay', but not the best. He feels pretty basic when you play as him, but if you dig deep you can find some useful set-ups and tricks with him (and you'll most likely have to dig deep to win). He's a small character, which means he can be hard to hit, but he gets juggled like crazy. He's pretty unique, he just needs tweaks to diversify his abilities.

What makes this match-vid interesting is seeing a low tier character VS a high tier character like Jolyne.

Want to thank you for making these posts. I do watch them from time to time, although I find the game's low damage output rather offputting at times.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Want to thank you for making these posts. I do watch them from time to time, although I find the game's low damage output rather offputting at times.

Thanks! Both characters this week are 'low damage characters', with Koichi being kind of limited, and Jolyne being top tier, but with low-ish damage to balance her out. You get more chances to defend yourself, but her mix-ups are so crazy that defending yourself is super hard.

It's mostly the game just being slower paced than other fighters. Characters do a poke then mini combo that does as much as a SF character doing a single counter-hit poke. Oddly enough, even-skilled matches take on average 5 minutes, which is about the same as other fighters. And time-outs are almost unheard of in this game. Super rare. Re-tweaking damage scaling is one of the few changes left that people want, along with faster walk speed and parry changes.

There are definitely high-damage characters, though. Next time I can post a Lisa Lisa match where she chews them up, then spits them out in like 12 seconds, lol.

CO_Andy

how soon until MVCi is removed from the Pro Tour?

NWS said:
DL8zghoW4AAL0pE.jpg
arcade sticks are evil

For 2018 Capcom Cup? Maybe a separate tour fro MVCI?

I figured they were both going to be featured in the 2018 CPT. Mainly due to that leaked proposal by John D or whoever it was. I wonder how the money will be split though. Will they have an even amount or will SFV have more? I say that because I just don't see Capcom putting more money into MvCI than SFV.

Sayad

I figured they were both going to be featured in the 2018 CPT. Mainly due to that leaked proposal by John D or whoever it was. I wonder how the money will be split though. Will they have an even amount or will SFV have more? I say that because I just don't see Capcom putting more money into MvCI than SFV.
My guess is MvCI might be getting half of SFV's if not more, esport/DLC is all that the game has right now.
Wonder if Capcom will have Capcom only character bundles to fund the tour and even out the Capcom/Marvel characters ratio!

A big reason that the Capcpom Cup gets so much prize pool money for SF is due to Sony helping sponsor it.

MvC:I is most likely not gonna get that privilege.

Tripon

To be frank, Capcom has enough cash on hand to fully fund a tournament series or two of them at the same time that last all year with a viable prize structure. They just don't want to.

MSMrRound

Might have been hitting the Blazblue:Cross Tag Battle demo at Singapore's GameStart 2017 a tad too hard, was using a Linne/Hyde team when Linne (as first character) just refuses to switch out with Hyde and when she died, Hyde wasn't able to tag in at all and it was just the opponent's Ruby Rose bouncing around the screen by herself, without anyone for her to fight against.

Judging from the ArcSys reps' reaction, might have even been the first time that this glitch happened for them. Heh, suddenly bug tester status!?

Kumubou

I think the bigger issue with cross-play would be that ArcSys would have to have their own matchmaking servers, and I doubt they would want to attempt that with the 19th century netcode their games sport. They don't have any existing infrastructure for it right now and I doubt they would put in the effort for this (and it probably really isn't worth it in the end... for this game, at least. There might be a longer-term R&D justification, but that investment should have been made years ago, if anything....)

Top Bottom