• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 21-27 | Easter EG Hunting

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Faust is a bit easier to learn compared to Potemkin. As a pot main, I really struggled early on because I didn't know i had to charge Hammerfall lol. Once you learn some of pots hammer break combos he's really fun to play.

Are you playing +R or the older gg games?

+R man. Just bought it on PSN and the themes are
kreygasm.png

Can't believe I never picked up the game earlier cause this is something that would have been a drug back in high school.

The charges are pretty easy to get down but I'm just doing 2-3 hit combos so I probably have no clue as to what I'm saying. Need to grind and learn some more. Everyone is saying Eddie is braindead so that might be my main down the line.

I'd rather have Marn twerk in front of my face than play Deejay.

Man, your words cut through people's souls Kadey, you know that?
And oddly enough I agree with her.

birdman-o.gif

i've been hearing things about my T.Hawk lately.

The only thing I've heard is that you suck at Street Fighter, thank Kadey for that.

Shito

Watching some French tournament archive: Ken Bogard opening the stream with "let's welcome the frenchiest guy of all the French people: Dieminion, the now official immigrant!".

Also: Valmaster playing Abel.

Anne

+R man. Just bought it on PSN and the themes are
kreygasm.png

Can't believe I never picked up the game earlier cause this is something that would have been a drug back in high school.

The charges are pretty easy to get down but I'm just doing 2-3 hit combos so I probably have no clue as to what I'm saying. Need to grind and learn some more. Everyone is saying Eddie is braindead so that might be my main down the line.

+R Pot is actually pretty good. You'll get him down. Eddie takes more work than people let on.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Kadey is just being tsundere

HAHAHAHAHAHA IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kappa

+R Pot is actually pretty good. You'll get him down. Eddie takes more work than people let on.

Yeah I wanna pick up Potemkin cause he's a grappler and I gotta represent the russian skies in all games, heck even his super (or whatever its called in GG) is one that catches you in the air. Also I did not know GG has instant kills, is that when the tension is maxed out that you are able to use it?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I did not say he sucks. I said he likes to not optimize his winning percentage by playing at level where he could win a match.

HAHAHAHAHAHA IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kappa

Yeah I wanna pick up Potemkin cause he's a grappler and I gotta represent the russian skies in all games, heck even his super (or whatever its called in GG) is one that catches you in the air. Also I did not know GG has instant kills, is that when the tension is maxed out that you are able to use it?

You can enter IK mode at any point in the match, however if you run out of tension it will drain your health.

Anne

Just what I heard from other gaffers...

Think about who you listen to on some things :p

The DL wiki on IKs:

Instant Kills are attacks that instantly win the round! While this sounds game-breakingly powerful in theory, the restrictions in place relegate it to a rarely seen spectacle.
To perform an Instant Kill:
enter Instant Kill Mode by pressing P+K+S+H while standing
while in Instant Kill Mode perform your Instant Kill attack. For most characters the command is 236236H.
Entering Instant Kill Mode changes your Tension Gauge into a Timer. The timer's length is based upon how much Tension you had stored. It will gradually decrease over time and once emptied, your health will gradually decrease! This will continue until you either perform the Instant Kill or you exit Instant Kill Mode (P+K+S+H while standing). You cannot kill yourself in this manner, but it will leave you with zero health, and the next hit or guard damage will finish you off.
After performing an Instant Kill, you will lose your Tension Gauge for the rest of the round! This will prevent you from using all Tension related actions like: Overdrive Attacks, Force Break Attacks, Dead Angle Attacks, Roman Cancels, False Roman Cancels, and Faultless Defense. You will also be unable to perform another Instant Kill.
Exiting Instant Kill Mode by pressing P+K+S+H will revert the IK Timer back to an EMPTY Tension Gauge.
Each Instant Kill has different properties and can be used in different situations. It's important to know what your characters Instant Kill looks like, and in what situations it may be useful.

source: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Offense_(GGACR)#Instant_Kill_.28IK.29

I'd suggest you check out more stuff on the wiki sometime.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
People say Eddie is brain dead because it looks brain dead also because they are most likely salty. There is a ton of shit going on behind the scenes that the player is controlling. Same goes for Carl in BB. There is a reason for there not being very many great Eddies even though he is such a strong character. Same for Venom

Papstr

Neo Member
I don't recommend ever attempting an IK in Gear ever in a serious match. You can't combo into them and there's hardly a situation where you would ever catch someone with one/

Brain dead characters:
Yu
Chie
X3 vergil
Vanilla Wolverine + akuma/haggar/tron assist
vanilla scorpion (injustice)

Those are the only characters off the top of my head. There are a lot of characters that are close but still take some thought process.

I mean there are clearly other broken characters but they weren't thatttt stupid to play.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I blame it on the ghetto Hori stick he uses. I don't think Chris G could beat Smedgie Boy if he were using that stick.

Dahbomb

Vanilla Wolverine + Akuma was so fucking stupid LMAO!

Let me first Dive Kick in with this humongous ass hit box that will almost always cross you up (nerfed in UMVC3), then mash lights like an idiot (can't do that anymore, you get Swiss Cheese instead), then do a Berserker Slash which you have no answer for (invincibility removed in UMVC3) while calling Akuma Tatsu (which had a bigger hit box in Vanilla) and then convert off of it without thinking (Akuma Tatsu in UMVC3 had soft knockdown).

Oh you called an assist? Well now I get to combo two characters without altering my BnB (Drill Claw in the air used to hit two characters, now it only hits one character)!

Vergil anchor is pretty fucking stupid too.

Brain dead characters:
Yu
Chie
X3 vergil
Vanilla Wolverine + akuma/haggar/tron assist
vanilla scorpion (injustice)

Those are the only characters off the top of my head. There are a lot of characters that are close but still take some thought process.

I mean there are clearly other broken characters but they weren't thatttt stupid to play.

Bartz and Sephiroth in Dissidia are also braindead. Speaking of Dissidia:

[Purgatory LB R7] - Seraph (Zidane/Sephiroth) vs LonelyGaruga (Kain/Prishe)

[Purgatory LB R7] Cloud_VII(Sephiroth/Cloud) vs Minato(Ultimecia/Exdeath/Emperor)

Shouta

Yes! That'll make the Honda match way less frustrating for T.Hawk. Up until this point, it's been the same problem that Hawk has had with the Blanka match-up. Just no good tools to punish headbutts/balls. I can now bait it and SPD punish instead of letting Honda just keep me out all the time.

Doesn't change his j.hp from being ridiculous but hey, I'll take that over headbutt. >=o

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Have a webm!

http://a.pomf.se/uspqnh.webm

I know Sophita is supposed to be from the Greece area but I didn't know she was from SPARTAAAAAAAAA

so this begs a question which i have thought about a great deal over time - what is the value of the single player experience in a fighting game? before anyone jumps down my throat, i don't mean to imply that there is no value, because clearly lots of people - the majority, probably, at least in the states - experience fighting games as a single player venture. but you're playing chess against a robot, really, single player fighting games wouldn't stand up to something like Bayonetta which to me is the ultimate sort of "single player fighting game" - just do cool shit and enjoy the ride.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It was going to be difficult to make her actively mediocre or bad given her design. And they clearly wanted her to be good.

Funny thing is all she needed was that EX jump cancel she got in USF4 in SFxT to get past her issues of burst damage. The fact she could hold her own in a game with such high burst damage across the board because of her toolset shows how good she was to begin with imo

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Vanilla Wolverine + Akuma was so fucking stupid LMAO!

Let me first Dive Kick in with this humongous ass hit box that will almost always cross you up (nerfed in UMVC3), then mash lights like an idiot (can't do that anymore, you get Swiss Cheese instead), then do a Berserker Slash which you have no answer for (invincibility removed in UMVC3) while calling Akuma Tatsu (which had a bigger hit box in Vanilla) and then convert off of it without thinking (Akuma Tatsu in UMVC3 had soft knockdown).

Oh you called an assist? Well now I get to combo two characters without altering my BnB (Drill Claw in the air used to hit two characters, now it only hits one character)!

Vergil anchor is pretty fucking stupid too.

Wow, drill claw used to hit two characters? I would have had a blast playing vanilla if I took that iteration seriously. They nerfed wolverine like crazy, only thing Wolverine needs to be balanced is having less health and he'll be fine.

SKULLGIRLS ON SALE FOR $7.99 ON STEAM

get it while its hot!

Its too hot man! I burned my tongue!

Think about who you listen to on some things :p

source: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Offense_(GGACR)#Instant_Kill_.28IK.29

I'd suggest you check out more stuff on the wiki sometime.

Now I have a time killer for when I'm not doing anything, time to level up.

Yes! That'll make the Honda match way less frustrating for T.Hawk. Up until this point, it's been the same problem that Hawk has had with the Blanka match-up. Just no good tools to punish headbutts/balls. I can now bait it and SPD punish instead of letting Honda just keep me out all the time.

Doesn't change his j.hp from being ridiculous but hey, I'll take that over headbutt. >=o

It is really annoying but just block... Can't really say much for Hawk, he can maybe do one of his condor moves to shut honda up in the air but then you'd have to have godlike reads.

gutabo

I'm ok with that EX headbutt change but people comparing it to the srk FADC nerf don't know what they're talking about. Ex headbutt has two requirements, charge and meter, which regular srks don't have. And srk into FADC can lead into a mixup or a combo into ultra, EX headbutt leads into nothing. If you really want to make EX headbutt safe in ultra you'll have to FADC it at startup(first active frame).

yeah i agree with this. if delayed wakeup is something they want in the game, they should make it so you can't react to it.

That's exactly the point, isn't it? And some characters being able to react to it kinda defeat its purpose. When I asked Justin if he was worried about DWU he tolme that he wasn't worried at all because as rufus all he had to do was jump again if the divekick missed.

Dahbomb

I feel there is value in single player content if it allows people to easily transition from playing in training mode to playing against bots to playing against human players.

However most fighting game single player content is pretty bad. It's just endless grinding against AI opponents. Sometimes there are extra conditions in the match (like the opponent can only be damaged by Horizontal attacks ala Soul Calibur) but they are usually not that interesting and usually just serve to annoy you. VF4, a few of the SC games and Injustice had decent single players... most other games have trash single player.

An idea I had for a single player campaign of a fighting game is that it's built sort of like an action RPG. You start out with one main character but he has like 4-5 moves tops at the start (I am thinking in the context of a 3D game here). Throughout the game you encounter challenges and fights where they make use of particular moves after which you are rewarded with some points that you can use to unlock moves. Unlocking moves also unlocks missions for those moves (so say you unlocked Hell Sweep for Kazuya, you also unlocked a few missions where Hell Sweep would be effective in taking down the opponent). Slowly you are taught to incorporate moves into your arsenal until you arrive at the complete character.

Doing various things like reversals, counter hits, off the ground hits, juggles, throws etc. would give you more points to unlock moves/costumes/characters etc.

Of course in VS mode all characters and moves will be unlocked as normal. This is just for the single player so that a casual can learn moves/mechanics in a progressive manner (rather than be dumped with a 100 moves to learn at the start).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I like ArcSys version of survival modes lately. They have a power up system where your character gets stronger and faster the way you chose as you progress. Pretty fun as far as single player stuff goes.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I feel there is value in single player content if it allows people to easily transition from playing in training mode to playing against bots to playing against human players.

However most fighting game single player content is pretty bad. It's just endless grinding against AI opponents. Sometimes there are extra conditions in the match (like the opponent can only be damaged by Horizontal attacks ala Soul Calibur) but they are usually not that interesting and usually just serve to annoy you. VF4, a few of the SC games and Injustice had decent single players... most other games have trash single player.

An idea I had for a single player campaign of a fighting game is that it's built sort of like an action RPG. You start out with one main character but he has like 4-5 moves tops at the start (I am thinking in the context of a 3D game here). Throughout the game you encounter challenges and fights where they make use of particular moves after which you are rewarded with some points that you can use to unlock moves. Unlocking moves also unlocks missions for those moves (so say you unlocked Hell Sweep for Kazuya, you also unlocked a few missions where Hell Sweep would be effective in taking down the opponent). Slowly you are taught to incorporate moves into your arsenal until you arrive at the complete character.

Doing various things like reversals, counter hits, off the ground hits, juggles, throws etc. would give you more points to unlock moves/costumes/characters etc.

Of course in VS mode all characters and moves will be unlocked as normal. This is just for the single player so that a casual can learn moves/mechanics in a progressive manner (rather than be dumped with a 100 moves to learn at the start).

I like this idea a lot.

one thing that VF4Evo did that was cool (i've talked about this before) is quests that asked you to do little things, like escape 4 throws, or do a 3 hit combo. rewarding the player for playing correctly is super important, and i agree that single player (arcade mode, story mode) and tutorial mode should be less segmented. Make them the same mode.

and the reward should always be clothes.

Horseress

Interesting how things are....NLBC didn't even started and spooky already has > 4k viewers, Art last week had 4/5k tops at the very end of the night

When art says it's not that easy to get spooky numbers....it's because it's true

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
east coast q, and definitely. im horrible right now but the ost for the game is making it feel so good.

We can try out our connection still I guess. :p The main thing to worry about at first is to play the game as basic as possible when you are first learning. Slowly let the more complex stuff trickle into your gameplay. The problem a lot of people have with learning GG or BB is they try to learn everything at once.

Top Bottom