• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 21-27 | Easter EG Hunting

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

damn, smedwicks is the F. Champ of gaf too, how popular can he get?!?!

We can try out our connection still I guess. :p The main thing to worry about at first is to play the game as basic as possible when you are first learning. Slowly let the more complex stuff trickle into your gameplay. The problem a lot of people have with learning GG or BB is they try to learn everything at once.

Yeah, im just working on pokes and whats on the command list. slowly ill look up tutorials and tournament footage.

Dahbomb

At least the Dahbomb frauds/clones have finally simmered down. Looks like the trolls have someone else to focus on now.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
he has a machine gun tonight

spooky is killing everyone right now

Solo Spooky with stuff on his mind is always a good time.

Interesting how things are....NLBC didn't even started and spooky already has > 4k viewers, Art last week had 4/5k tops at the very end of the night

When art says it's not that easy to get spooky numbers....it's because it's true

Well that sounds normal to me - Spooky's been primary responsible for weeklies and majors on a set schedule for almost as long as Twitch has been active. I'm sure that there are a good amount of people following Spooky that don't even know that Art streams.

If he had done what someone suggested back then - which was start Spooky's stream and then tell them from there to go to his stream to watch the tournament, he might have had a bigger jump in numbers, far more than 4k.

Shouta

I'm ok with that EX headbutt change but people comparing it to the srk FADC nerf don't know what they're talking about. Ex headbutt has two requirements, charge and meter, which regular srks don't have. And srk into FADC can lead into a mixup or a combo into ultra, EX headbutt leads into nothing. If you really want to make EX headbutt safe in ultra you'll have to FADC it at startup(first active frame).

That's exactly the point, isn't it? And some characters being able to react to it kinda defeat its purpose. When I asked Justin if he was worried about DWU he tolme that he wasn't worried at all because as rufus all he had to do was jump again if the divekick missed.

I was talking about it with some folks, but it being less-negative on block would be a fair trade for it being much easier to punish now. Maybe -4 or -5 on block so that Ultras were out of the question.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ishiwatari and Pachi interview:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/216/G021678/20140416038/

Some translations popping up on DL

When the interviewer brings up Dizzy and Bridget being popular, Ishiwatari says character popularity didn't have a big role in selecting which characters to put in the game (though he mentions he also thought for sure that those two would be in), focusing instead on diversifying the roster. Pachi then follows up by saying that he tried not to let his own preferences influence the roster, so he put a lot of thought into who to include. They both then indicate that the characters who made it were chosen for ease of use; Pachi specifically mentions Venom being easier than Bridget, for example, while Ishiwatari says that Slayer was chosen over Johnny for the same reason.

As for the game going forward, all I saw was Ishiwatari saying that whereas SFIV was a return to the series roots, Xrd is meant to be an advancement of the series, and Pachi agrees, believing that SF represents "classicism" while GG represents "modernism."

Also regarding not putting Dizzy and Bridget, the said that they are most popular between fans but not that popular between actual players.
Pachi said Johnny and Zappa have better priority because they are being picked more.

Also Pachi said: "For example if we let the players choose between Bridget and Venom who will they pick"

4Gamer "They will pick Venom'

And regarding the Johnny vs Slayer thing, i think he said that they picked Slayer because they think that he is easier for new players.

There's your answer about Bridget

Horseress

Spooky said that Combofiend confirmed that Guy's 2 ex tatsu is a bug and will be fixed and shit. Were did he got this info?!

Dahbomb

people were trolling you?

I don't know how long ago it was but a bunch of stream monsters started making fake Dahbomb accounts like "GAF_Dahbomb" or "neogaf_Dahbomb" and started posting in ways I would normally post in the stream chat. Of course most were too lazy to actually come up with posts themselves so they would just copy/paste stuff I said on GAF on to stream chat and then spammed it. It was amusing if a bit annoying at times.

FYI the REAL Dahbomb is simply "Dahbomb".. no extra alphabets or symbols to it. I rarely if ever post in stream chat, I used to do it on FGTV like once a week now I don't even do that.

kirblar

Spooky said that Combofiend confirmed that Guy's 2 ex tatsu is a bug and will be fixed and shit. Were did he got this info?!
Because it's a blatant bug, and its not the only problem with the tatsu?

Ayano confirmed a second issue with it not costing EX meter if it finished a round.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I don't know how long ago it was but a bunch of stream monsters started making fake Dahbomb accounts like "GAF_Dahbomb" or "neogaf_Dahbomb" and started posting in ways I would normally post in the stream chat. Of course most were too lazy to actually come up with posts themselves so they would just copy/paste stuff I said on GAF on to stream chat and then spammed it. It was amusing if a bit annoying at times.

FYI the REAL Dahbomb is simply "Dahbomb".. no extra alphabets or symbols to it. I rarely if ever post in stream chat, I used to do it on FGTV like once a week now I don't even do that.

Man, people are retarded.

Wow... 2 entrants for Marvel. Is NWM this weekend? Like god damn Marvel is dead at NY except for local game clubs and Bum's place.

mbpm1

Of course, but spooky said that Combofiend confirmed it, just curious

Yeah, apparently, they subtracted 2 frames, instead of added.

Guy's EX Tatsu is 6 frames now, and they're working on taking away the kara frames.

As Spooky would say, "Womp Womp."

Horseress

Finally that game is dead.

LONG LIVE DEEJAY SF4

f6c.jpg

Kumubou

An idea I had for a single player campaign of a fighting game is that it's built sort of like an action RPG. You start out with one main character but he has like 4-5 moves tops at the start (I am thinking in the context of a 3D game here). Throughout the game you encounter challenges and fights where they make use of particular moves after which you are rewarded with some points that you can use to unlock moves. Unlocking moves also unlocks missions for those moves (so say you unlocked Hell Sweep for Kazuya, you also unlocked a few missions where Hell Sweep would be effective in taking down the opponent). Slowly you are taught to incorporate moves into your arsenal until you arrive at the complete character.

Doing various things like reversals, counter hits, off the ground hits, juggles, throws etc. would give you more points to unlock moves/costumes/characters etc.
I like this idea (and I've had similar thoughts myself), but I think the biggest task would b designing a progression framework that makes sense in the context of the game's engine. What's the starting movelist, what order do moves unlock

The biggest concern I have with such a structure is that the player would be told to do way too much and wouldn't be learning enough organically. I think a strength a lot of the best games have is how they can teach rules and systems without having to lecture anything. You have a relatively simple set of commands (run, jump, etc.) and then the challenges are structures in such a way that you figure out how specific things in the world interact, and earlier instances are non-threatening or you'll see a environmental example of what you could do, etc.. This is a lot harder to do with a fighting game, as the set of possible actions is much greater and the environments are much more limited. How can you effectively show that you should use mids/overheads on people who duck too much, or throw people who block a lot without explicitly spelling that out.

I think it's an interesting design challenge, but it's not something fighting game developers really think about (as it's almost always outside of the scope of their project).

Sp00ky has 525 subs, that more than I would have guessed. He deserves it, but skull only chat always seems slow.
Sub-only chat on Sp00ky's stream isn't that slow IMO, I think it's just a combination of open chat going a mile a minute and most other FG subscriber's sub chat being completely dead.

Riposte

As for the game going forward, all I saw was Ishiwatari saying that whereas SFIV was a return to the series roots, Xrd is meant to be an advancement of the series, and Pachi agrees, believing that SF represents "classicism" while GG represents "modernism."

As far as I am concerned this is a slam, lol.

Anyway, I want GG to come out here and get big.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So will Grand Finals be played on stream or not?
lol
2 entrants for Marvel

two
VF is thirty times more alive than marvel confirmed
I like this idea (and I've had similar thoughts myself), but I think the biggest task would b designing a progression framework that makes sense in the context of the game's engine. What's the starting movelist, what order do moves unlock
for VF you could just start with P, 2P, elbow and throw. then a circular, then 3K, then a knee. I got this all figured out

Dahbomb

How can you effectively show that you should use mids/overheads on people who duck too much, or throw people who block a lot without explicitly spelling that out.
You just tune the AI of that particular match that way.

Like for example say you want to teach throws. You basically have a tutorial where the AI like blocks 90%+ of your attacks but doesn't tech throws. You also have a description at the start of the Tutorial:

"Character X is a master of defense but because he spent most of life practicing how to block he may be weak to other forms of indirect attacks. Figure out a way to defeat him."

At this point you will soon realize that attacking isn't going to defeat him but when you do a throw it's super effective (like it does more damage than normal just for that fight). You do it a few more times and win the match.

As far as how to teach people how to use mids against someone who ducks a lot that's pretty simple... you just have an AI who ducks a lot (even if you hit him with mid attacks). And you structure it so that this fight is unlocked right after you unlock some mid hitting moves.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Sometimes I like to time how long it takes Tinshi to talk about himself after he gets on the mic. It's never very long.

Kumubou

*Looks up what Vanguard Princess is*

God damn.
Is this at the game itself or the shit that's gone down with the international release? (Because it could damn well be both.) Hell, they just tried to launch a IndieGogo campaign to add netplay (that I'm not linking to because it's a total scam and I don't even want to give them the exposure).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Before I forget, he also discusses the transition to 3D models. He starts by repeating what he's said before about wanting impact, but he goes on further to say he thinks that games like BlazBlue represent the peak of 2D sprites, so he wanted to go in a different direction, which led to the decision to use cel-shading. The interviewer then asks about the merits and demerits of going 3D, and Ishiwatari replies that the models offer a greater amount of freedom, but morphing animations (he mentions Millia's hair and Zato's shadow as examples) presented challenges, and that there are certain things that are actually easier to do with sprites than with 3D models. Making hit-detection not look awkward was a challenge as well.

Earlier, he talks about not having as much of a role in the series after #Reload, since he felt that the fighting game genre was stagnating at the time. He also mentions that talk of a sequel in FG form first came up not long after Overture's release, but Xrd itself didn't start taking shape until about a year-and-a-half ago.

On a final note before I read the rest of the first page, he regularly says that he hopes Xrd will usher in a new era for the genre.

LOL Ishiwatari said that they made Sol looks buff to appeal the western market.

And Potemkin's redesign was influenced by his visit to FanimeCon; the passion he felt from the fans there gave him a bout of inspiration that got him drawing the rough sketches.

Like Bedman, though, other ASW employees were taken aback. "Eh? Who's this?", was apparently their reaction.

When discussing the new RC system, Pachi says that a bullet time effect in a fast-paced game like GG would have the most impact, and Ishiwatari talks about it being beginner-friendly, but also mentions that there was resistance to it at first. Pachi recalls that those who were opposed to it insisted it would harm the game's tempo, and there was even a test build that lacked it. As it turned out, these dissenters were proven right, but there were no other ideas the team thought were good, so they just slowed the game's pace to accommodate the timeslow. There were also members of the team who opposed the removal of FRCs, but Ishiwatari believes that it was too advanced a mechanic for a game that was meant to draw in a new audience. Pachi agrees, but says he felt that elements of it should be in the game, which was how YRCs came about.

Ishiwatari says Blitz Shield got a lackluster reception at the first loketest, but he seems to imply he expected as much. Pachi goes over its primary purpose, then goes on to say that it should also be good for characters who don't have good anti-air options. He also says they were conscious of it possibly having a negative effect in an offense-oriented game like GG, so they took care to make sure it wasn't too strong a tool. Ishiwatari then talks about them realizing that it might not mesh well with YRCs and taking measures for such. Pachi goes into a bit more detail, but my reading comprehension is too low to tell what he's saying.

The interviewer asks just what the hell is up with Danger Time, but Ishiwatari points out that a random mechanic like that isn't new, citing the times in Samurai Shodown when two characters would lock weapons and the players had to mash to win that exchange. When the interviewer points out that modern gamers tend to prefer having more control, Ishiwatari's reply is basically, "Yeah, me too, but I want people to experience those same illogical, 'why am I mashing so hard right now' moments that I did." Pachi then reveals that he actually wasn't on Team Red at first, and when he learned about Danger Time after joining, his initial reaction was something like, "Are you kidding me with this?!", but then says that he came to like the idea of surprising players with something they're not expecting that could happen at any time. Regarding Mortal Counters, their main concern was that if it had too small an effect, both players would just wait it out, but Pachi acknowledges that there are pros and cons.

jbug617

Banned
Art going in on people complaining of lag on monitors on twitter. He bought a lag tester and he is testing it himself.

@nycfurby: Early conclusion = the monoprice splitters we use add zero lag at all. Does anyone have any questions about my findings?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Is this at the game itself or the shit that's gone down with the international release? (Because it could damn well be both.) Hell, they just tried to launch a IndieGogo campaign to add netplay (that I'm not linking to because it's a total scam and I don't even want to give them the exposure).

The game itself. Now that I hear the netplay part, sucks for people who really enjoy the game.

It has xbox 360 controller support, but you can only use the analog for movement. No d-pad support! Pad warriors am cry.
I only know because it was in a bundle for $2

Likely story. Kappa.

gutabo

I was talking about it with some folks, but it being less-negative on block would be a fair trade for it being much easier to punish now. Maybe -4 or -5 on block so that Ultras were out of the question.

Seems to me like Capcom thought "let's make EX headbutt really easy to punish because we'll give Honda's EX oicho full invincibility". Then changed their minds and reverted EX oicho's full invincibility into throw invincibility only but forgot about EX headbutt.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Art going in on people complaining of lag on monitors on twitter. He bought a lag tester and he is testing it himself.
It's about fucking time. For too long people have been making claims on mere feeling "man this lags take my word for it!" or broken methodology "I compared the output to a laptop LCD".

Human perception is flawed, which is why you take direct empirical measurements.

Top Bottom