• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 19-25 | As Seen On WSHH

ILoveBish

Classic snk fighters are still so amazing till this day. I signed up for fightercade to hopefully body some of you in the old neo Geo ways. My name on the there is same as my steam name.

Marz

Classic snk fighters are still so amazing till this day. I signed up for fightercade to hopefully body some of you in the old neo Geo ways. My name on the there is same as my steam name.

Soon as i get my new PC I'll be joining you. Love me some SNK.

Uraizen

Banned
I hope some of you guys will join my launch lobbies of DOA5:LR I'll be glad to have some matches with people.

Can I join when the PC version has the MP patched in? =(

Fellow SNK fans in here!
aqDwC.png

Growing up the only SNK game I ever played was Metal Slug X and KoFXII was my first KoF. Went back to it when XIII came out and it ended up being one of my favorite fighters ever. Now SNK is tossing up updates of the older versions and they're sooooo good.

You looking for someone experienced, or someone with just about zero experience?

I'm the latter and have it on PS3.

Experience dont matter, but (plz dont think im a jerk!!) im tryin to stay away from crossplay. Play ps4 to 4 with a friend in austin (im dallas) and our lag never went over 2f delay. Did crossplay with someone in the same city (he has fios) and we never went below 10f delay. I know they patched it but i just cant seem to get good matches over crossplay

Can I join when the PC version has the MP patched in? =(

Growing up the only SNK game I ever played was Metal Slug X and KoFXII was my first KoF. Went back to it when XIII came out and it ended up being one of my favorite fighters ever. Now SNK is tossing up updates of the older versions and they're sooooo good.

I jave barely played KOF since Xrd came out ;__;

Jazz-ism

Banned
I jave barely played KOF since Xrd came out ;__;

Same. Its really regrettable snk didnt develop 13 more. I think another version with tweaks and new chars would have done a great service to the game and its lifespan. Easily one of the most legit and underappreciated titles of last gen.

Same. Its really regrettable snk didnt develop 13 more. I think another version with tweaks and new chars would have done a great service to the game and its lifespan. Easily one of the most legit and underappreciated titles of last gen.

I actually like the lack of patches, especially if the alternative is ArcSys-style insane rehauls. I can practice stuff and have it stay valid. Besides, the balance and system design are so good I wouldn't want change.

KOF13 is one of the best system designs in a competitive game. Ever.

Jazz-ism

Banned
I actually like the lack of patches, especially if the alternative is ArcSys-style insane rehauls. I can practice stuff and have it stay valid. Besides, the balance and system design are so good I wouldn't want change.

KOF13 is one of the best system designs in a competitive game. Ever.

Ehhhh pause. You are combining some concepts.

lack of patches == not supporting the game

arc sys adds content usually, which is a bit of a departure from the capcom/nrs forumla of patching (no disrespect to nrs...they do their thing well and have their own audience.) You have to add content and make some changes in games to keep it fresh and moving forward. This is just...a fact (see: any game with devs that dont support their games)

Second , while kofxiii is a great game and its system is great to me, I also recognize the fault in stuff like one touches with full meter being a little...funny. kind of disrespectful to 98um and 02 um to say that as well...

Sayah

Thank you for the nomination.

The only reason that you probably though that VF was my favorite is because I constantly whine about everything that Tekken does wrong and applaud VF for everything that it gets right. Overall, I've only jumped on board the VF train since part 5 landed. Never gave the series much of a chance before that.

I will say that Tekken games feel like they almost go out of their way to make me hate them though. Tekken 7 already has a head start...

LOL that it has. Lucky Chloe ahoy. :p

If KOF14 does go 2.5D, it seems like a bit of a waste for SNK to redraw all their characters and do such a massive overhaul and only get 2 games out of it. Or atleast it's atypical of "use the same sprite for 10 years" SNK.

I'm not convinced a visual or mechanical overhaul will necessarily open the series up to new people. What they need to do is distribute it for free in massive quantities in China and Latin America, because that's how the old games got popular.

Sayad

First KoF I played was 99, but the first one I really put a lot of time in was 2000, it was our MvC2, so broken yet so much fun. 2000 remained my main go to KoF until XI, everything between was a disappointment except 2k2 which I couldn't find a single PS2 copy of.

Love XIII's EX moves and HD cancels, my most played fighter this gen, only complain I have about XIII's system is how long HD combos can get. It's not bad that the game stayed the same for so long, but I wish it got one final update adding Agents Team(Vanessa, Ramon, Blue Mary) and normalizing some characters. If only to make the wait for the next one easier.

If KOF14 does go 2.5D, it seems like a bit of a waste for SNK to redraw all their characters and do such a massive overhaul and only get 2 games out of it. Or atleast it's atypical of "use the same sprite for 10 years" SNK.

I'm not convinced a visual or mechanical overhaul will necessarily open the series up to new people. What they need to do is distribute it for free in massive quantities in China and Latin America, because that's how the old games got popular.

Distribute how? Arcades are pretty much dead here too now from what I've see.

And yes, it's a waste for XII/XIII sprites to only be used for those two games, but considering it took them about 5 years to get the roster to the size it is in XIII (and this is with headswaps and characters lacking things they used to have) it is just not really viable I would imagine.

Riposte

Watching people play games has become a sub-culture onto itself, one that feels different than what we would call the FGC. I don't like it. Especially bad with shit like Minecraft.

pixelish

Tbf, fighting games (sf4) in particular encompasses a small percentage because of tournament events that happened only during the weekend. Unlike other games that were on the list, we don't have highly popular individual streamers that can capture like at least 5k viewers every time they go live. The highest concurrent viewership I've ever seen for an individual fg streamer was like 2.5k (shoutouts to aquasilk
rip
) and that's still minuscule compare to streamers for other games.

Tbf, fighting games (sf4) in particular encompasses a small percentage because of tournament events that happened only during the weekend. Unlike other games that were on the list, we don't have highly popular individual streamers that can capture like at least 5k viewers every time they go live. The highest concurrent viewership I've ever seen for an individual fg streamer was like 2.5k (shoutouts to aquasilk
rip
) and that's still minuscule compare to streamers for other games.

This pretty much, it amazes me that people get like 9k viewers daily for something like Hearthstone.

Village

Could we get jackie chan to come to the tournament and dress as chun li.

And then get ono to dresss as jackie chan.

xezuru

Real talk, I've played a lot of silly side-show Fighting Games, and I'd prefer Dong Dong Never Die wholly over Jackie Chan arcade fighters
EVO premier game pls
, even as a fan of his top tier action choreo.

I played Jackie Chan fighter with my bro in law after seeing it on GiantBomb. So much screaming/laughing on a tiny PC at my dad in law's office.

smurfx

get some go again
Playing other certain games will make you better at fighters and vice versa.

I solo-ed Destiny's raid end boss by myself, groups of people can't even do it and a lot of it requires execution, spacing and all that jazz. If I didn't have some form of skills I've gotten from playing fighting games I wouldn't have been able to do it.
I think all my years playing snipers in fps games helped my reactions in fighting games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I haven't been there since the Sharkeisha video, but I can't deny its popularity/infamy. Glad my title suggestion got picked.

Also thank you enzo for adding the event calendar to the OP. Hopefully people are finding it useful.
I'm finding it exceedingly helpful in making these threads since my go-to event aggregators kind of suck now.

somebody once called me this online except they used the racist version of the word.
..ninja?

Top Bottom