• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

Astarte

Good stuff yams. I'm waiting for the day where someone will finally acknowledge some of the mechanics that kusoge fighting games have. Oh lord gundam and saint seiya have some great awful things.

Anth0ny

Z3wN8pA.png

I hope Dahbomb appreciates this.

The Souls games aren't RPGs. Drives me nuts when people call them that, like when people used to call Zelda games RPGs. I don't know when this crap started.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Souls games aren't RPGs. Drives me nuts when people call them that, like when people used to call Zelda games RPGs. I don't know when this crap started.
Essentially if a game has a protagonist or characters you can play, you can call it an RPG.

I'm not even sure where you'd differentiate things otherwise nowadays with so much genre mixing.

Essentially if a game has a protagonist or characters you can play, you can call it an RPG.

I'm not even sure where you'd differentiate things otherwise nowadays with so much genre mixing.

Stat growth and EXP gain is typically how you define RPGs, as well as a separate battle screen for....well, battles. I've never touched a Souls game, so I dont know how they work in terms of character growth.

Clawww

Souls definitely count as an RPG. Defining features for me are character leveling, allocation of stats, and distinguished classes, which is absolutely huge in Souls' games. Your specific capabilities are determined by your specific builds, which are diverse and meaningfully differentiated.

Zelda's not an RPG.

I thought Souls game were considered an action RPG: exp, stat growth, narrative. Not sure what to categorize is as. So many cross genre blends now adays its hard to describe things.

I thought Souls game were considered an action RPG: exp, stat growth, narrative. Not sure what to categorize is as. So many cross genre blends now adays its hard to describe things.

Action RPGs and "traditional" RPGs differ when it comes to battling. Games like Souls, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc, are Action RPGs since the game doesn't "shift" to a battle screen like "traditional" ones do (Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc).

I figured everyone knew this.

Dahbomb

Role Playing Game to me has always been about you playing a character that you shape yourself (ie. you are role playing the character as yourself). That could be through customization of look, gear, stats etc. You also have to keep making choices that keep defining your character. Your character will be different from someone else's character because you are role playing your character and they are role playing their's. The more you play, the more differentiated the characters become. That's why most RPGs have you name your character.

This is the opposite of an action game (or character action game as people like to call them these days). In an action game everyone has the same character... ie. everyone has Dante, Bayonetta, Kratos. They start the same and end the same (when they get all their gear). Your Dante is not more unique than mine. And certainly you are not allowed to even name Dante someone else because he is his own character who makes his own choice with a predetermined amount of stats that can't be altered or customized. The only differentiating factor between players is their weapon load out which is equally accessible to all (ie. not hidden behind RNG or loot tables).

Action RPGs and "traditional" RPGs differ when it comes to battling. Games like Souls, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc, are Action RPGs since the game doesn't "shift" to a battle screen like "traditional" ones do (Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc).

You are basically describing real time combat vs turn based combat.

God of War isn't an action RPG though.. it's pure action.

I just call them action games.

To me, an RPG is inherently menu-based. Genres should be defined by gameplay, not auxiliary mechanics. Otherwise Destiny is an FPS RPG, just like Call of Duty and Borderlands. Character growth can be applied to any genre - it is not inherently tied to RPGs. Some RPGs, like Valkyria Chronicles, don't even have XP or stats.

Soul Sacrifice and Monster Hunter are also not RPGs.

Direct control makes a game an action game, not screen shifting. FFXIII doesn't have screen shifting for battles. Neither does Chrono Trigger.

Also, the Elder Scrolls series aren't RPGs. :p

To me, an RPG is inherently menu-based. Genres should be defined by gameplay, not auxiliary mechanics. Otherwise Destiny is an FPS RPG, just like Call of Duty and Borderlands. Character growth can be applied to any genre - it is not inherently tied to RPGs. Some RPGs, like Valkyria Chronicles, don't even have XP or stats.

That's exactly what it is.

And I'm fairly certain VC DOES have EXP gain.

Clawww

maybe we'll get a fighting game RPG

60 hour campaign throughout which you shape your character and only then can you face others

I've hit gold boys

Dahbomb

But Destiny IS a FPS RPG (hell that's what Bungie calls it) as is Borderlands. Call of Duty isn't a FPS RPG because there is no stats to allocate/customize and everyone has access to the same inventory that is unlocked after tiers with same stats (only available in multiplayer, in single player it's a straight up shooter with no customization whatsoever).

And again character growth =/= what is the essence of RPG to me... it's character choice. Like I make a choice that impacts the strength of the character down the line or it impacts the story. It's not EXP bar filling which pretty much every game has these days anyway... it's the element of real choice that defines your character.

Also, the Elder Scrolls series aren't RPGs. :p
You are basically saying that everything that people consider Western RPGs these days (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Elders Scroll, Witcher) isn't an RPG. Which is cool and all but you should know that 99% of the people out there don't see it that way.

That's exactly what it is.

And I'm fairly certain VC DOES have EXP gain.
VC lets you purchase levels for an entire class, but it is more like a team upgrade than real XP. You don't get XP for defeating enemies, and individual troops don't have levels. It is more similar to upgrading a unit type in an RTS.

But Destiny IS a FPS RPG (hell that's what Bungie calls them that too) as is Borderlands. Call of Duty isn't a FPS RPG because there is no stats to allocate/customize and everyone has access to the same inventory that is unlocked after tiers with same stats (only available in multiplayer, in single player it's a straight up shooter with no customization whatsoever).

And again character growth =/= what is the essence of RPG to me... it's character choice. Like I make a choice that impacts the strength of the character down the line or it impacts the story. It's not EXP bar filling which pretty much every game has these days anyway... it's the element of real choice that defines your character.
How are Borderlands and Call of Duty different? They both have skills you can choose between to differentiate your character. There are no stats in Borderlands. Just skill points.

60 hour campaign throughout which you shape your character and only then can you face others

I've hit gold boys
Dissidia already does that.
VC lets you purchase levels for an entire class, but it is more like a team upgrade than real XP. You don't get XP for defeating enemies, and individual troops don't have levels. It is more similar to upgrading a unit type in an RTS.

It still has EXP, which is what you said it doesn't.

CPS2

I've hit gold boys
Sounds a bit like soul calibur's special vs mode or any of the other modes where you can customise everything. Pretty much impossible to balance tho.

Dissidia already does that.

It still has EXP, which is what you said it doesn't.
It isn't really XP, though. XP, or "experience points", go up when characters do things well. In VC, you just get money, and you can spend it on whatever you want. Even if they are called XP, the mechanic outweighs the nomenclature.

Dahbomb

How are Borderlands and Call of Duty different? They both have skills you can choose between to differentiate your character. There are no stats in Borderlands. Just skill points.
You don't have skills or skill points in Call of Duty especially in the single player. You basically have perk loadout which every body has equal access to. In Borderlands you have classes and a skill tree so you actually have to make a choice when making a character build and not everyone has equal access to them as people are not playing same classes. It's a very limited scope of choice and character building but it's there.

There are stats in Borderlands through the items which are randomly dropped (same as Destiny). It's pretty much all the same as Destiny really. And both games I would consider extremely bare bones on the RPG side of things.

Like Borderlands is basically Diablo but in FPS view. We can definitely argue if Diablo is an action game or an RPG because it's like comparing Diablo to DMC. Yeah in DMC you have "skill points", you have weapon load outs and you have EXP bar filling but it's not an RPG because there is no real choice in the matter or any unique character building.

Beckx

I've hit gold boys

Tobal 2, man. Though you couldn't use your RPG character in versus matches. You could catch all the RPG enemies for versus, though, which led to a hilarious 200 character roster. Tree v Old Man with No Arms.

Flareon is like Nintendo. Has its fans, but is constantly lagging behind others who do the same things but better until it gets similar tools generations later.
lol
I'd rather have Sylveon if any Eeveelution gets in.

Didn't do too bad at the Hawaii Smash 4 tourney today.

Though I did get this 0% kill on Delfino Plaza....(@03:13:48)
http://www.twitch.tv/theodofaction/b/616036162

Yeah I don't even lol
Couldn't even make it to grand finals this time, you scrub :p
Time for him to hit the top tier now! :p

Blue is best color.

*name quote*
I knew you had good taste

Reiterating stuff I've said in other threads but...
I have never liked JRPG or WRPG as a genre titles.

Japanese PC RPGs in the 1980s were influenced by games like Wizardry and follow conventions you'd probably describe as "western RPGs". Would you call games like Elminage or Dark Souls JRPGs just because they originate in Japan? What about Costume Quest? That's a western-made game that's designed like a Dragon Quest title. Is that a JRPG?

In Japan they call games that follow Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy conventions "light RPGs". I like that, because you could include games like Costume Quest without conflating about country of origin.

How about:
Traditional RPG (influenced by tabletop or pen/paper games)
Light RPGs (DQ/FF)
Action RPG (Dark Souls)

Zissou

RPG: game in which player decisions influence story progression and player create/define their own user-created character.

Laconic

Banned

Japanese PC RPGs in the 1980s were influenced by games like Wizardry and follow conventions you'd probably describe as "western RPGs". Would you call games like Elminage or Dark Souls JRPGs just because they originate in Japan? What about Costume Quest? That's a western-made game that's designed like a Dragon Quest title. Is that a JRPG?

In Japan they call games that follow Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy conventions "light RPGs". I like that, because you could include games like Costume Quest without conflating about country of origin.

How about:
Light RPGs (DQ/FF)
Action RPG (Dark Souls)

I wish Japan hadn't gotten its fingers into Wizardry.

And I say this as a Japanese Games fanboy.

Weren't some of the CAS designs in SC5 based on Dark Souls? I remember some pre-launch promo videos with custom Souls characters.

Kumubou

Tobal 2, man. Though you couldn't use your RPG character in versus matches. You could catch all the RPG enemies for versus, though, which led to a hilarious 200 character roster. Tree v Old Man with No Arms.
You actually could use the saved player characters from quest mode in versus, with their buffed stats. It got very stupid very quickly.

Are rogulikes RPGs?
Most rougelikes are not even like rouge!

Kimosabae

Banned
"Of course a normal comeback is hype but there is just something special when you see an impossible win turn into a possible one."

The fuck am I reading

You don't have skills or skill points in Call of Duty especially in the single player. You basically have perk loadout which every body has equal access to. In Borderlands you have classes and a skill tree so you actually have to make a choice when making a character build and not everyone has equal access to them as people are not playing same classes. It's a very limited scope of choice and character building but it's there.

There are stats in Borderlands through the items which are randomly dropped (same as Destiny). It's pretty much all the same as Destiny really. And both games I would consider extremely bare bones on the RPG side of things.

Like Borderlands is basically Diablo but in FPS view. We can definitely argue if Diablo is an action game or an RPG because it's like comparing Diablo to DMC. Yeah in DMC you have "skill points", you have weapon load outs and you have EXP bar filling but it's not an RPG because there is no real choice in the matter or any unique character building.
So is Team Fortress 2 an RPG?

Look, here is my basic logic: movies are all about cinematography. Movie genres are listed based on cinematographic themes. Games are all about gameplay. Game genres should be based on gameplay types. Character customization and growth is a game mechanic, but it is not gameplay. Thus, RPG should not be a genre unless it refers to a type of gameplay.

I feel like RPG needs to refer to the gameplay, or it needs to stop being called a genre.

Dark Souls is a WRPG, just like Xenoblade X, Final Fantasy 15 and Tales of Zestiria.

How about:
Light RPGs (DQ/FF)
Action RPG (Dark Souls)
W and J are incredibly stupid distinctions fostered by the issue I outlined above. Oblivion and FF both want to be called RPGs, but they share absolutely zero gameplay similarities. So people try and accommodate a flawed perspective by issuing new labels. New, awful labels.

RPG: game in which player decisions influence story progression and player create/define their own user-created character.
You don't create or define your character at all in Chrono Trigger outside of equipment. In most classic RPGs, you also don't influence story progression, since progression is linear. On the other hand, a shooter could let you create a custom character and have a responsive plot.

Are rogulikes RPGs?
Roguelikes can be anything if you just mean a game that has no save points.

Maybe we need to break games down into three points:

Genre - gameplay based (FPS, action, turn-based)
Subgenre - underlying mechanics (RPG, Roguelike)
Theme - tone aspects that are not gameplay related (Horror)

Maybe there could be a better label than subgenre, but I am liking this approach.

Top Bottom