• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 1-7 | Heel turns, shattered dreams, broken cages

I talk bad about SRK because for a site that wants to be the epicenter of the FGC, it's doing an absolutely lousy job of doing so. The layout of the site is a disaster- the forums are hard to read and navigate, it's not a lightweight site, and for up-to-the-minute news EventHubs does a REALLY good job on keeping up w/ coverage. They do a really good job keeping things up to date.

SRK is a site I only visit when I absolutely have to. I wish that weren't the case, but I'm not going to pull punches.

I had a very long post written out in the heat of the moment for this response, but decided against using it. Let me just say that you need to pay more attention to our site the few times you visit it if you believe none of that "up to the minute" news stuff applies to us. Our definitions of news may differ, and that's fine.

I don't have any responsibility over the forums or style choices, but it is something we are making a priority as we move forward. Feel free to send me a PM with some legitimate issues (apart from the design choices, obviously) and I will see what I can do to rectify them.

Still haven't received an answer as to why SRK should promote Dieminion's donation drive, but I'm past caring at this point.

Koogy

Neo Member
btw, there's a special promo this weekend for BT stuff. you get it a few hours early. :) it's 20% off using code "CURLEH" at checkout. thanks for the support everyone! <3

Unlucky

To be honest, after the whole Dieminion leaving without even telling me thing happened, I got pretty depressed for 2 months. I started doing business consulting for other companies and focused on trying to get myself interested in keeping BT open.

After a while, I got back into the swing of things and have been rebuilding BT's structure from the ground up. New designs will be happening very soon, don't worry. :)
Great, I'm looking forward to it!

notworksafe

I had a very long post written out in the heat of the moment for this response, but decided against using it. Let me just say that you need to pay more attention to our site the few times you visit it if you believe none of that "up to the minute" news stuff applies to us. Our definitions of news may differ, and that's fine.

I don't have any responsibility over the forums or style choices, but it is something we are making a priority as we move forward. Feel free to send me a PM with some legitimate issues (apart from the design choices, obviously) and I will see what I can do to rectify them.

Still haven't received an answer as to why SRK should promote Dieminion's donation drive, but I'm past caring at this point.

Work on making the site load quickly, not look like shit, and don't prioritize ad revenue over user experience. The current site is a disgusting mess in its current state and no amount of good content can make it worth visiting right now.

As far as "up to the minute" news, fuck that if it means reporting on bullshit drama stories and such things. Ignore stuff like that and leave other sites to handle the dregs of crap like that. Focus on things that matter: tournaments, actual positive FGC news, game news, strategies, videos, etc. Include info on all kinds of games...large, small, indie, and yes...even Smash.

But the most important part is to make the site usable. Without that, the rest doesn't matter.

hypernima

Banned
You know I was thinking of opening illustrator and making fgc themed shirts, but fuck it ill just become a top player and donation drive to the sky.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Eventhubs has shittier content but it doesn't have a billion background scripts and audio ads so it autowins. SRK is pretty embarrassing for being the supposed "main" FGC website.

Dahbomb

These players need to at least get side hustles to fund their travel.

What does everyone think top players post-evo teams/characters will be? Will Justin finally pick Doom?
I think Flocker is transitioning towards Dante to optimize his Zero. Outside of that I think Unknown might switch, his team is too unconventional and unoptimized he needs to switch out at least one character. I think Justin might give a second look to his ultra scumbag team of Zero/Doom/Vergil. I think RayRay might change out Doom on his squad for a more rushdown heavy character.

Outsidr of these most of the players are playing a team that pretty much caters to their strength. ChrisG might transition to Magneto over Vergil.

Maybe in a parallel universe Yipes is finally playing Dante/Vergil/Strider.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
It's easy to say that I have too much dignity to ever beg for money. But if I were a notable community figure and there were lines of random people waiting to throw money at me, who knows, I would probably be tempted to exploit them too. I don't think the Penny-Arcade guys lost any sleep over the shameless exploitation of their fans

I like how the FGC has transitioned from shady raffles to donation drives. There's no pretense anymore, just give me money

El Sloth

Banned
To be honest, after the whole Dieminion leaving without even telling me thing happened, I got pretty depressed for 2 months. I started doing business consulting for other companies and focused on trying to get myself interested in keeping BT open.

After a while, I got back into the swing of things and have been rebuilding BT's structure from the ground up. New designs will be happening very soon, don't worry. :)
Awesome to hear! Glad that you're feeling better and getting back into the swing of things. The community is a lesser place without you in my opinion.

Work on making the site load quickly, not look like shit, and don't prioritize ad revenue over user experience. The current site is a disgusting mess in its current state and no amount of good content can make it worth visiting right now.

As far as "up to the minute" news, fuck that if it means reporting on bullshit drama stories and such things. Ignore stuff like that and leave other sites to handle the dregs of crap like that. Focus on things that matter: tournaments, actual positive FGC news, game news, strategies, videos, etc. Include info on all kinds of games...large, small, indie, and yes...even Smash.

But the most important part is to make the site usable. Without that, the rest doesn't matter.

Sweet, this is what we do already.

Eventhubs has shittier content but it doesn't have a billion background scripts and audio ads so it autowins. SRK is pretty embarrassing for being the supposed "main" FGC website.

Like I said, I unfortunately have very little control over this. Just know that these issues are at the top of the priority list.

Lulubop

The Illuminati &#8207;@ThelIluminati 13m

In order for you to rise higher, you have to break away from relationships that are limiting you.
Retweeted by Kevin Landon

Yeah, he is dumping EMP.

And go where? Somewhere where he can potential crawl back to Triforce if another opportunity arises? I knew that job excuse was just a Triforce OS from the start. Asking for 1,5k on top of it all is beyond shady, he better bringing Sanford with that amount of cash.

Vice

I think Flocker is transitioning towards Dante to optimize his Zero. Outside of that I think Unknown might switch, his team is too unconventional and unoptimized he needs to switch out at least one character. I think Justin might give a second look to his ultra scumbag team of Zero/Doom/Vergil. I think RayRay might change out Doom on his squad for a more rushdown heavy character.

Outsidr of these most of the players are playing a team that pretty much caters to their strength. ChrisG might transition to Magneto over Vergil.

Maybe in a parallel universe Yipes is finally playing Dante/Vergil/Strider.

I think liability characters, like Phoenix, will get dropped. I believe Neo is dumping the bird for Zero and I wouldn't be surprised if Champ focused on Dorm or even Morrigan.

Strider is also a character I can see people picking up after Evo. Nova and Strange too, they're two of the most underplayed point (Nova) and suppert (Strange) characters around and are pretty simple to play.

kirblar

I didn't say you should. I was saying that a random news post on EH (unsupported by twitter promotion from important people) is going to reach more people than a random news post on your site. Because your site is an unholy mess that I actively avoid because it's an unholy mess. You can have the best content in the world, but if the site's bad, it won't matter. (see: Channelfireball.com since the redesign.)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Like I said, I unfortunately have very little control over this. Just know that these issues are at the top of the priority list.

Yeah I can sympathize. My post wasn't really directed at you in particular as much as it was directed towards SRK in general. I was in a similar position about 10 years ago when I did a lot of work for RPGamer.com. Now that I check, it looks like they still use a "back" graphic from a pre-2000 design that I was bitching about even back then. Son of a bitch.

Hearing that it's at the top of the priority list doesn't fill me with much confidence though since SRK has been fucked up for years, though I do hope the site's issues are resolved.

SmokeMaxX

I think liability characters, like Phoenix, will get dropped. I believe Neo is dumping the bird for Zero and I wouldn't be surprised if Champ focused on Dorm or even Morrigan.

Strider is also a character I can see people picking up after Evo. Nova and Strange too, they're two of the most underplayed point (Nova) and suppert (Strange) characters around and are pretty simple to play.

I think Strider is just as much of a liability as Phoenix. Maybe moreso.

I do like how JWong is sticking with his team. It's not a top tier team, but if you're a good enough player, you can beat even the best (at this point in time). For all its faults, Xfactor really makes almost any team viable (assuming it's a real team and not random select).

Duxxy3

And go where? Somewhere where he can potential crawl back to Triforce if another opportunity arises? I knew that job excuse was just a Triforce OS from the start. Asking for 1,5k on top of it all is beyond shady, he better bringing Sanford with that amount of cash.

He didn't have a sponsor for a long time in between emp and bt.

kirblar

Yeah I can sympathize. My post wasn't really directed at you in particular as much as it was directed towards SRK in general. I was in a similar position about 10 years ago when I did a lot of work for RPGamer.com. Now that I check, it looks like they still use a "back" graphic from a pre-2000 design that I was bitching about even back then. Son of a bitch.

Hearing that it's at the top of the priority list doesn't fill me with much confidence though since SRK has been fucked up for years, though I do hope the site's issues are resolved.
This is pretty much where the bile/vitriol in the posts comes from for me. I simply have absolutely no faith in the management of the site to actually fix the issues, as they've been around for far too long at this point.

gutabo

Feel free to send me a PM with some legitimate issues (apart from the design choices, obviously) and I will see what I can do to rectify them.

This, also some very questionable SEO choices there.

Awesome to hear! Glad that you're feeling better and getting back into the swing of things. The community is a lesser place without you in my opinion.
THIS!

vulva

I bought my ticket last year to go to EVO at the last minute and it was $411, but once you start on that trip to Vegas, the expenses mount up (baggage fees, food which is expensive as hell, transportation, etc). This is why going to EVO or any other tournament for that matter is not a necessity, especially at the last minute.

And I didn't even do anything crazy like do a bunch of drinking or gambling, go to the club, or buy hookers and my trip was still over $2k. I stayed halfway around the world for two weeks and it was still cheaper than 4 days in Vegas. Looking back now, I could have used that money for more important things, but I didn't want to be seen as someone who didn't support my game at EVO even though it's not there this year as an official game.

If I was on the west coast, I could go to EVO on the cheap, but from the east coast or further it's a killer. But $1500 is more than enough to cover the trip without having to struggle or eat McDonalds for 3 meals a day.

But fighting games are a hobby which is why I dislike all these players asking for handouts, but whatever. I'm just glad to see Dieminion able to make it.

Anyway, I'm ready for this Curleh to take place. Fuck drama.

I've done EVO 3 times, going on 4. I'm from Toronto in Canada. How the fuck did you spend that much when every trip has cost me about 800 all in?

Dahbomb

Strider is not a liability at all, not even close to what Phoenix is. For one Strider comes with a top tier assist and if he gets one hit off that assist that is usually a dead character. Strider getting off a single Vajra hit means he has already made his worth on the team. His anchor potential is just the icing on the cake. More Morrigan players means more Dante, Vergil and Strider players to counter.

Phoenix should be dropped by every top player. FChamp would still use her but I can hardly see someone like Neo using her. He should just replace her with Vergil or something... keep his general strategy in tact.

Nova already gets used a fair amount but not in optimum teams for him. Strange is still behind where he should be in the meta game because he is a near top support character.

AluK8zG.png

As much as I like dieminion, I just couldn't resist.

ahahahaha

Malice215

I drank, went to strip clubs, and went all out and still only spent about $1000. You spent too much, and $1500 is too much for even this last minute trip.

It would have been cheaper for me if I didn't wait until the last minute to decide and go. The hotel room I had was cheap, but I didn't split that cost with anyone since I'm not trying to stay in a room with a bunch of dudes. Too old for that shit. So just on the flight and room was $700+.

But when I was actually in the city, I didn't spend alot. Just that the bulk of my expenses were on travel. It's not like I spent a ton of money on nonsense.

Edgeward

It is mind boggling how RPGamer still uses the same design from when I used to frequent it back in high school. Still not designed for 16:9 either.

vulva

It would have been cheaper for me if I didn't wait until the last minute to decide and go. The hotel room I had was cheap, but I didn't split that cost with anyone since I'm not trying to stay in a room with a bunch of dudes. Too old for that shit. So just on the flight and room was $700+.

But when I was actually in the city, I didn't spend alot. Just that the bulk of my expenses were on travel. It's not like I spent a ton of money on nonsense.

so you spent 1300 on food?

notworksafe

So where did the other $1300 go? C'mon man. I mean I'm spending nearly $700 on flight+hotel too and I still don't expect to drop more than $1200 on this trip total.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It is mind boggling how RPGamer still uses the same design from I used to frequent it back in high school. Still not designed for 16:9 either.

The owner doesn't give a fuck about that site beyond the ad revenue it brings in, which probably doesn't amount to a lot nowadays. I wasted way too much of my time doing work on that site before I realized this. It's sad, because RPGamer is one of the OG gaming sites.

Warpticon

It's easy to say that I have too much dignity to ever beg for money. But if I were a notable community figure and there were lines of random people waiting to throw money at me, who knows, I would probably be tempted to exploit them too. I don't think the Penny-Arcade guys lost any sleep over the shameless exploitation of their fans

I like how the FGC has transitioned from shady raffles to donation drives. There's no pretense anymore, just give me money

At least there's an argument that there's a direct service relationship. Even if you think a given product or service is overpriced, it's a better deal than NOTHING.

Yeah, I understand. The only things I really take personally are potshots at our content and news coverage.

Edgeward

It used to be my go to site back in the day. That and RPGdreamer were the ones I had to go to for decent info or reviews on rpgs. And now I find the latter is dead and gone. Slowly my gaming childhood is disappearing

Top Bottom