• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 28 - Aug 3 | The thirst is UNiEL

Mdesilva

The logistics of how to implement this doesn't make much sense to me either unless they add a 5th button to the game. The supers in this game aren't even that strong, i wouldn't want to degrade the value of the 50 meter options.
overdrive got hella buffed tho, every super has an OD version now

I disagree with this part of your post. Ever since the jeweler left, Twitch has been flying a lot of international players to American tournaments, particularly Japanese players. It used to be this was the only option, but it's not the case anymore.

Also, are you associated with the event at all? You've qualified statements with "they", which makes me think no, but you're expressing your position extremely passionately (which is fine!) which makes me think that the answer may be "yes". I ask this out of curiosity mainly.

That's true but I guess what I'm saying is that the most reliable way to make this happen is to rely on ourselves. And maybe they can't if the community doesn't support this. It would be great if Twitch or MCZ could do it but I doubt they would if Lap Chi simply asked.

And no I'm not associated with this at all. But I support the idea, I've payed for a few Topanga League's already. I think they charge a little too much but I still want to watch it. As long as Canada Cup can bring in the players they hope to bring in, I think they're offering a great experience at a very fair price.

I'm afraid Lap Chi won't hit his goal though. Maybe he needs 5,000+ subs to break even. I think he'll probably get more like 2-3k or even less. I hope the Japanese are on board since they seem to be supportive of Topanga League. But I hope it's a success so that in future events Twitch or somebody else may help Lap Chi shoulder the cost of throwing it to get a cut of the PPV like Nico does for the Topanga crew.

Mdesilva

CS Extend is available on the PS Now beta? Someone suck it up and try out how laggy it is.
I considered getting it to play story

but it's $16 for 30 days (plus it's probably a laggy version), which is probably how much time I'd take to beat it

I could buy the game for that price :|

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't see what one has to do with the other. There's still a ton of people tuned in, but Ultra is no longer new and shiny and EVO is over, so there's going to be some drop off.

I'm mostly talking out of my ass. That's just a really big drop off. Practically 50% less viewers. I find it hard to fathom that going into EVO/Ultra raised NLBC's popularity that much when that factor wasn't doing anything similar for other streams. The anomaly is the Sanford/Smug rivalry, which I can see people placing less of a premium on, after the NLBC lost to WNF at EVO.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Giant Bomb: Do you remember why you got into fighting games in the first place? How did Street Fighter become your game of choice?

Hay: I got into fighting games randomly. I started with SFIV. Back then, I wanted to buy a next-gen console, so I got the PS3. Street Fighter was the only game I knew in the shop. That’s how I got into fighting games, and how I chose Street Fighter.

This is the real story. SF4 won by a goddamn 09'er

How does WesterHeretic feel?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
3geND0x.png

How the hell did he get a grab from here?

Uraizen

Banned
CS Extend is available on the PS Now beta? Someone suck it up and try out how laggy it is.

Is the NDA over? If so, then I have a lot to say about it, just like how much I want to talk about how KoFXII (yes, 12) is one of the best fighters to release this gen. One of the best uses of netcode for a fighter this gen, too.

Is the NDA over? If so, then I have a lot to say about it, just like how much I want to talk about how KoFXII (yes, 12) is one of the best fighters to release this gen. One of the best uses of netcode for a fighter this gen, too.

...I think that pretty much says everything that's needed to be said.

3geND0x.png

God do God things.

JW: I think if Chris had another set, it would’ve been closer, but the way I was denying him meter was very important, and I could tell he was also nervous because he raw tagged a lot. But even if he had adapted, it would have still been a test of patience, and I am willing to run the clock out ’til zero, so it would’ve definitely been an endurance match. I would’ve stuck with those three characters until the end of the tourney no matter what.

Hey... you should of did that with Rufus too you DOOFUS.

Sheroking

Hey... you should of did that with Rufus too you DOOFUS.

Well, considering he didn't practice USF4 for Evo, I think he should have stuck with Rufus. He would have lost to Bonchan anyway, I think, because that match sucks and none of his other characters were leveled up enough to handle that fight.

I still think, if he chooses to really practice the game again, that he needs counter-picks. Rufus is good, but linear. It's not that hard of a match to learn and it can be REALLY hard for him against characters who mitigate his divekick pressure.

Malice215

I'm mostly talking out of my ass. That's just a really big drop off. Practically 50% less viewers. I find it hard to fathom that going into EVO/Ultra raised NLBC's popularity that much when that factor wasn't doing anything similar for other streams. The anomaly is the Sanford/Smug rivalry, which I can see people placing less of a premium on, after the NLBC lost to WNF at EVO.

Other streams aren't Spooky for starters. Plus there's always a down cycle after EVO as people focus on other things or other games or get ready to go back to school. I don't believe anyone would stop tuning into Spooky just because of what happened at an exhibition match that was pretty much an afterthought as soon as it was over. If that was the case, then those people would be watching WNF instead, but their numbers haven't increased dramatically.

But you had several dynamics like people tuning in to see someone salty, Ultra being a new game, and Twitch sponsoring NLBC as people were grinding in the lead up to EVO which helped to boost numbers past what he normally receives for NLBC. Now that EVO is over, those casual viewers have dropped off.

Rhapsody

Banned
hmm if we had edition select in BB we'd have some sort of rock paper scissors bullshit with CP1.0 Kokonoe, CT Nu and CS1 Valkenhayn

Certain characters like CT Nu or CT Rachel wouldn't be all too amazing with the current mechanics though.

Edit: Rachel would still be really good despite no Guard Libra. But still.

Mdesilva

It's an open beta now, so yes

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Few reasons.

One, she's one of the few prominent trans characters there are. Is she the best representation that there could be? Absolutely not. But when you're choice is between "something" and "nothing", you'll often take something.

Second, while her design is a little questionable, Poison is also typically portrayed as a strong, independent, doesn't-care-what-other-people-think-of-her type of character. I like that about her. And it's something that is no doubt debatable, but she's also a character that I see as being in control of her sexuality. She's not portrayed as dressing like that for someone else's benefit—she does because she wants to.

So, yeah, part of it is that she's one of only a few choices out there, so there isn't much to pick from. But give what choices are out there and what choices we could have, Poison isn't actually that bad of a character. She is who she is, she kicks ass, she's tough, and she does what she wants.

Really, by far the worse thing about Poison isn't the character herself, but the way Capcom has totally back off of supporting who she was for 20+ years.

I thought the idea behind Poison originally was that she was supposed to be a woman, but when they ported the game over to the USA, they thought that the US audience would freak out about male on female violence in a video game, so they then retconned her into a male, and then it basically turned into "Don't think too hard about it" until they just finally made her transgender?

I thought the idea behind Poison originally was that she was supposed to be a woman, but when they ported the game over to the USA, they thought that the US audience would freak out about male on female violence in a video game, so they then retconned her into a male, and then it basically turned into "Don't think too hard about it" until they just finally made her transgender?
They actually made her into a male sprite edit for the SNES version...feels like one of those meta jokes like Dan Hibiki being Robert Garcia's head on Ryo's body

Dahbomb

Anyone else terrified of XF3 Vergil + Justin Wong???
That team he is talking about is not Vergil anchor, it's Vergil point or Vergil secondary.

More than likely it's Vergil secondary because it would allow a stray Storm hit into a dead Morrigan with Vergil SS. Plus Vergil with XF2 is extremely strong.

Vergil with Akuma allows for the maximum projectile negation in the game. I am almost surprised he revealed this in an interview because this has been something theorized a long time ago. It's in fact one of my preliminary teams for UMVC3 (Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma).

kirblar

Nah, the edit was due to beating up women, but they have design docs showing she was transgender from conception in Japan.

CT Carl, Rachel, Arakune....

Those three had damage and might only need one or two touches to win but CT Nu and CP1.0 Kokonoe have the best neutral in the series imo.

CT Nu wasn't as broken as the other top tiers but she did have winning match ups against Rachel and Arakune, I think she would be the one of the few that can take on CP1.0 Kokonoe.

CS1 Valk was probably the best rush down character in the series although i quit the game then so I never really had a chance to see how his end game developed.

Seyavesh

3geND0x.png

his char turned around and threw cuz the grab he does off that is the front throw, not the backthrow

it happens enough by certain players to where it seems like dudes know how to do it but i have no idea how and i've been wondering how for a very long time now

Rhapsody

Banned
Those three had damage and might only need one or two touches to win but CT Nu and CP1.0 Kokonoe have the best neutral in the series imo.

CT Nu wasn't as broken as the other top tiers but she did have winning match ups against Rachel and Arakune, I think she would be the one of the few that can take on CP1.0 Kokonoe.

CS1 Valk was probably the best rush down character in the series although i quit the game then so I never really had a chance to see how his end game developed.

I don't think we ever got to see CS1 Valk's end game develop. He was definitely ridiculous though.

Dlent

I think DLC characters were entirely banned until CS2, so there was never really a point to fully explore him.

Top Bottom