• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 28 - Aug 3 | The thirst is UNiEL

Onemic

I disagree with the idea that GG is simpler than BB, but I do agree that the larger cast of BB is more appealing to some people. BB will also have a drastically smaller cast if it changes its engine, so I can't blame GG for that.

I'd definitely consider GG to be a simpler game than BB. Definitely.

alstein

Yes, I'm well aware most GG fans think it's some overly complex game. GG is only complex for a few cast members.

The game is very basic once you understand the system mechanics, Xrd more so.

The only thing you could make an argument for in GG about being more complex is some FD cancel tricks and slash back gimicks. The first being mostly character specific.

Shit I taught my friend how to play GG and he never played fighting games before and his Axl was almost on par with top axl players FRC combos and all in less than a month.

FRC is not easy for anyone.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

It's just muscle memory and once again character specific. Some are easier than others.

Like let's take Ky for example. Throw FRC, HS stun edge FRC, D stun edge FRC

The throw one is fairly simple you press it soon as you see the slash in the throw hit

HS stun edge though has a funky delay on when it triggers so it could take a bit longer to learn.

D stun edge is really easy as well you just FRC when you see the ball form for the fireball

There are lots of little tricks you can teach yourself for FRC timing til it becomes second nature, by sounds or animations. It's one of those things where if you know how to practice it you can learn it quick, but if you are starting from scratch with no guide/tutor it's a pain in the ass.

Edit: But clearly I don't know anything about the game so what am I even saying!

Mdesilva

So I heard that YRC was dumb, then looked to see for myself…

And it really, really is. It's used so frequently and lets you do the dumbest shit. I hope they make it harder to use/remove it.

Onemic

FRC's are hugely overrated for their difficulty imo. Doesn't i-no have the only 2 frame link FRC combo? I feel like most tend to be 3 frame links or higher. Doing FRC combos with Johnny and Baiken felt easier than learning a Hakumen BnB loop, Valkenhayn combo, or litchi corner combo

Uraizen

Banned
So I heard that YRC was dumb, then looked to see for myself…

And it really, really is. It's used so frequently and lets you do the dumbest shit. I hope they make it harder to use/remove it.

NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! It's one of the reasons I'm interested in the game. I love the dumb shit I'm seeing.

EDIT: Yes, I know the differences between the RCs in Xrd.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FRC's are hugely overrated for their difficulty imo. Doesn't i-no have the only 2 frame link FRC combo? I feel like most tend to be 3 frame links or higher. Doing FRC combos with Johnny and Baiken felt easier than learning a Hakumen BnB loop, Valkenhayn combo, or litchi corner combo

Well the thing with BB is some of the combo timings are so fucking tight they might as well have had FRC's in them mid combo

Wooooow.

0TbPkSM.jpg

Why is Akuma about to shit on Infiltration

Anne

Well the thing with BB is some of the combo timings are so fucking tight they might as well have had FRC's in them mid combo

I actually think BB execution is mad easy, and I supposedly play the harder characters execution wise. Had a harder time learning to execute in GG.

Great news for Ricky!

Saw GOTG tonight. Not a fan of Rocket without his cockney accent but it was a super good movie. And it gave us RR in UMvC3, so it's even neater.

Rhapsody

Banned
I mean if we're comparing the hard stuff in BB, it's only fair to bring up the hard stuff in GG.

GG's way harder on the difficult meter combos.

Anne

I thought you played Kokonoe.

I play Taokaka and Rachel lol I played Kokonoe for like a couple weeks and then got really bored. Most everybody in TN stopped messing with BBCP anyways so there was no point learning her since I wanted it for MU purposes.

Uraizen

Banned
I play Taokaka and Rachel lol I played Kokonoe for like a couple weeks and then got really bored. Most everybody in TN stopped messing with BBCP anyways so there was no point learning her since I wanted it for MU purposes.

Oh... my apologies -- ahem, as you were.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I actually think BB execution is mad easy, and I supposedly play the harder characters execution wise. Had a harder time learning to execute in GG.

Who do you play in GG? The only hard to execute characters in GG to me are Eddie, Johnny, I-no, and sorta Bridget and Dizzy

Execution wise in BB I don't really think Rachel is all that hard once you know how her wind stuff works, I think that just feels weird to learn at first for people. Tao got a lot simpler input wise since CS but still pretty hectic. The only characters I'd say in BBCP that is truely hard to execute are probably Carl and Nu-13

Though if you want to get into using a characters tools and playstyles then stuff changes up a bit for me.

Anne

Who do you play in GG?

Buri and May. I briefly messed with I-No and Ky too. All of them had things I would consider more difficult than anything I've had to think about doing in BB, most of it due to FRCs and just old ass game design.

Edit: Before somebody comes in and chews my butt off, GG is awesome but holy crap its age shows in its design.

Malice215

Loving this commentary and the shoutout from Lee Chung.

Also 103 entrants for UNIEL at this tournament which will be on after DOA.

Rhapsody

Banned
Buri and May. I briefly messed with I-No and Ky too. All of them had things I would consider more difficult than anything I've had to think about doing in BB, most of it due to FRCs and just old ass game design.

Edit: Before somebody comes in and chews my butt off, GG is awesome but holy crap its age shows in its design.

I would always have problems grinding out May's extended dolphin loops by jump installing for that FRC, air dash, etc stuff.
I wish I got that down before +R hit since I know I'll never go back to that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

:eek: How did you have trouble with Ky? The only hard thing he has to learn is HS stun edge FRC

I agree the game shows it's age pretty badly, but at the same time it's pretty awesome with how free flowing it is.

I would always have problems grinding out May's extended dolphin loops by jump installing for that FRC, air dash, etc stuff.
I wish I got that down before +R hit since I know I'll never go back to that.

LOL I had to learn how to jump install way back in Reload... it was the only way to get any real damage with Ky outside of jacking up the guard bar. I was so glad having to deal with that shit went away. I also don't like how Ky plays in AC+R though ... I want AC ky back even if AC+R ky is a little better

Laconic

Banned
Yup I agree 100% Let BB be BB let GG be GG

BB is huge as fuck right now as well and it sure as hell isn't because it's a shitty animu game. It basically had to start from scratch and build up rep. With Guilty Gear being out of the spotlight for so long it's not that shocking that it's not that played compared to a game with a huge following and a vastly larger cast with deeper gameplay.

They basically fucked themselves by trying to make the already pretty simple core gameplay of GG even simplier and cutting out the cast at the same time because of a new version. I dont even want to get started on the silly option select thing.

Am I still hype as fuck for it? Hell yeah I am, I'm buying a ps4 just for it hell I want to get a super nice ass tv just to soak in it's beauty. GG is the first real fighting game series I ever got into fully so it holds a special place to me. But I don't get why people are shocked to see how it's performing

I have not been keeping up on the news - what is the silly OS thing in Xrd?

Rhapsody

Banned
:eek: How did you have trouble with Ky? The only hard thing he has to learn is HS stun edge FRC

I agree the game shows it's age pretty badly, but at the same time it's pretty awesome with how free flowing it is.

LOL I had to learn how to jump install way back in Reload... it was the only way to get any real damage with Ky outside of jacking up the guard bar. I was so glad having to deal with that shit went away.

I think the only thing I didn't learn with Ky were proper dust starters and Javelin FRC (which isn't needed).

And jump installs are generally easy. It's just in May's you have to worry about charging as well. lol
I've seen Kedako somehow jump install after a 5P followed by dolphin. I don't know the trick to that :/

Other than that, they're easy.

Uraizen

Banned

Speaking of age... untechable one button throws in Xrd? Wut?

I await people telling me why it's not a big deal, but I still don't like it.

Zissou

It's a chicken and egg problem though -- if there's no one playing, why would anyone start? It's also really rough for a new player to start playing, especially since you have people who have played GG for 10+ years and a lot of that knowledge and experience carries over -- it leads to a body montage, and few people have the wherewithal to carry on through that.

I wonder what kind of lessons ArcSys is going to take from Xrd. I know it's been brought up in this thread multiple times about how changing a game too much can hurt the community, but I think Xrd has the opposite problem -- the game didn't change enough, and veteran players just roll through everyone. You don't want to completely negate their experience, but at the same time it's ultimately a business and the game needs room to grow.

This is definitely true. Trying learn GG starting with arcade Xrd = paying a lot of money to learn a small amount each match as veterans steamroll you. It doesn't help that arcade training mode is ass, so there's no way to practice lots of stuff (you can literally only pick which character is your training dummy- can't make them crouch/jump/block at all, can't practice counter hit stuff, can't program them to do anything period, etc.)

This is definitely true. Trying learn GG starting with arcade Xrd = paying a lot of money to learn a small amount each match as veterans steamroll you. It doesn't help that arcade training mode is ass, so there's no way to practice lots of stuff (you can literally only pick which character is your training dummy- can't make them crouch/jump/block at all, can't practice counter hit stuff, can't program them to do anything period, etc.)

I figure that will change with online in Xrd since I imagine a majority of that playerbase will be new players due to GG not getting around as much as other games in terms of availability on the latest consoles.

Kumubou

I figure that will change with online in Xrd since I imagine a majority of that playerbase will be new players due to GG not getting around as much as other games in terms of availability on the latest consoles.
I think it'll work better in the US, since you're not paying for every loss. People don't like taking Ls regardless, but at least it's not hitting their wallet. That and the US GG community isn't nearly as big as it was in Japan, so more of the playerbase is going to be learning the game new. That and I think online matchmaking can work better for keeping skilled players from rolling on noobs 24/7, but that requires enough players to begin with.

After seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, I have no doubt that if Marvel ever does decide to do another fighting game, that we'll see Star-Lord, Drax, and Gamora in it, and Groot with Rocket this time.

Top Bottom