• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 28 - Aug 3 | The thirst is UNiEL

Dahbomb

Also the Marvel tablet game is nothing new. There's a similar Injustice game as well on tablets, already out in fact and features Darkseid.

smurfx

get some go again
looks like marvel wanted to copy injustice with that new tablet game. if only disney took the marvel games as seriously as they did the movies then we might actually get a patch to umvc3 or an update.

CPS2

Personally as far as video games go I don't think there should be any difference in Male/Female achievements. *shrug*
Pretty much. I keep thinking along the lines of, at some point it would be an issue, e.g. if Mike Tyson at his peak, had a sex change and exclusively fought women. And the politically correct thing became "look at her go, she's wonderful, you go girl!" instead of questioning whether it should even be allowed. But video games are kinda at the opposite end of the scale where i don't see why men would have an advantage.

I am not touching this discussion about Ricky even with a 10 foot pole.

It's a quick way to getting banned on GAF. I am actually surprised this hasn't been made into a thread on GAF, normally something like this gets attention around here.

I am also lucky that cbus/ohio has a small scene for most games so I'm able to get good practice in everything

Infinite

Pretty much. I keep thinking along the lines of, at some point it would be an issue, e.g. if Mike Tyson at his peak, had a sex change and exclusively fought women. And the politically correct thing became "look at her go, she's wonderful, you go girl!" instead of questioning whether it should even be allowed. But video games are kinda at the opposite end of the scale where i don't see why men would have an advantage.
It's mostly irrelevant though at this point.

Jazz-ism

Banned
best of luck to ricky and i hope whatever happens helps him find happiness. takes a lot of courage to spit in the face of god in the name of "me just doing me" props to the LGBT community i respect the struggle and support u guys from the shadows

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
looks like marvel wanted to copy injustice with that new tablet game. if only disney took the marvel games as seriously as they did the movies then we might actually get a patch to umvc3 or an update.

Its a thing I really hate that big companies do like King and what not, either steal ideas from other games and make it their own OR put an extremely little amount of money for budget on an iOS game and make A TON of money. Its worked out for Kim Kardashian, why wouldn't it work for Marvel?

Leaves a sour taste in my mouth when they have a community who would practically abandon their livelihoods just for a fighting game and they treat them like an ostracized child. A slight exaggeration, but the point still stands. If Capcom doesn't announce anything new by the end of the year, they can go bankrupt for all I care and let someone do something useful with their IP's.

kirblar

There's a reaction speed gap, and it might be a factor in fighting games due to those small edges translating into important marginal advantages at the very highest level of play.

With Ricky not getting publicity- it's been very lowkey, and I think everyone's respecting that.

smurfx

get some go again
Leaves a sour taste in my mouth when they have a community who would practically abandon their livelihoods just for a fighting game and they treat them like an ostracized child. A slight exaggeration, but the point still stands. If Capcom doesn't announce anything new by the end of the year, they can go bankrupt for all I care and let someone do something useful with their IP's.
they don't owe those kind of players anything. if players want to make bad lifestyle choices then it's on them. they should do whatever they can to have good developers make their games because it will only help their brand in the long run. bet you many will go see guardians of the galaxy because they know of rocket from umvc3.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

What does Capcom have to do with this

Jazz-ism

Banned
Its a thing I really hate that big companies do like King and what not, either steal ideas from other games and make it their own OR put an extremely little amount of money for budget on an iOS game and make A TON of money. Its worked out for Kim Kardashian, why wouldn't it work for Marvel?

i wont lie yams reading your posts fuels me to keep studying because ill be damned if i let you get a higher mcat score than me...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There's a reaction speed gap, and it might be a factor in fighting games due to those small edges translating into important marginal advantages at the very highest level of play.

With Ricky not getting publicity- it's been very lowkey, and I think everyone's respecting that.

Wouldn't distinctions be made for people who are biologically women and those who had a sex change in this case if people are nit-picking?

Ricky has a name in the scene already, nothing should change that. Should Ricky be considered the first female gamer to win a tournament? Answering this is a bit difficult.

kirblar

they don't owe those kind of players anything. if players want to make bad lifestyle choices then it's on them. they should do whatever they can to have good developers make their games because it will only help their brand in the long run. bet you many will go see guardians of the galaxy because they know of rocket from umvc3.
Yup. There was never any money in the banana stand, and right now, there still really isn't much for most players. Ricky has a full time job. Justin used to work as a CM for an MMO company. Pay the bills first, play the game second, until you get to the point where you're losing money not playing the game.

Riposte

Since Ricky already identified as a woman, the surgery changes nothing about the situation. It's nothing to be excited about anyway, because fighting games/pro-gaming will continue to be male dominant because of greater sociological reasons.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I won't see guardians of the galaxy.

What does Capcom have to do with this

I just hate Capcom now and want to show my disdain for them whenever I can.

i wont lie yams reading your posts fuels me to keep studying because ill be damned if i let you get a higher mcat score than me...

????? You make no sense half of the time, can't even state my opinions without having someone throw a jab at me. Let me be and keep studying, it'll get you that higher score you want.

That's what got called offensive.

Ohhhhhh, now I see, this is a pretty touchy topic I have no experience in so I'll observe for now.

Astarte

Jazz-ism, BakedYams, good luck on your MCATs! I believe you guys can make it into the high-as-fuck percentiles and don't drop out as failed doctors to be Pharmacists. Please don't do that, you two are too smart for that.

Jazz-ism, BakedYams, good luck on your MCATs! I believe you guys can make it into the high-as-fuck percentiles and don't drop out as failed doctors to be Pharmacists. Please don't do that, you two are too smart for that.

I thought dentistry was where all the failed doctors went to

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I highly doubt anyone here considers me as smart here even though my numbers tend to say otherwise but thanks for the words of encouragement Astarte! Jazz, we gotta our asses man! Get that +35 to get into medical school!

Nah, getting into dentistry is actually competitive.

Not at my school.... You'd be surprised how lazy some people are and they STILL get in. Especially their grades, by god have I never seen so many D's and incompletes on transcripts....

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
How hard is the MCAT compared to other standardized exams?

Hard as fuck man. I swear, taking the GRE's is a cake walk compared to this. If you can pass your MCAT's, you have the experience to prepare for practically any other exam at the pace I'm going.

Astarte

I highly doubt anyone here considers me as smart here even though my numbers tend to say otherwise but thanks for the words of encouragement Astarte! Jazz, we gotta our asses man! Get that +35 to get into medical school!

You guys got this.

How hard is the MCAT compared to other standardized exams?

The MCAT is more nerve wracking than anything else. If you fuck up, hoo boy. Even when you retake it, it's not a guaranteed "oh okay we'll replace your lower grade" with medical schools. The nerves get to people most of the time over the 3 hours that you take the test....however, with the new improved (tm) MCAT 2015, you get to take the same damn test for TWICE that long while everyone sweats around you!

Also it's hard as fuck to prepare for, forgot to mention that. FUCK reading comprehension.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yup.

And I definitely still feel that Marvel vs. Capcom is an important part of sustaining their brand and not excluded from what they have in their strategy for the future. I don't blame them for exhibiting a bit of quality control, especially after Spector mucked up things, it's just a shame a bit of ignorance to the situation has left MvC3 in the shape it's in (biggest problem obviously being that online is pretty much fucked).

That said, GotG has me wanting to pick up Infinity, especially now that in 2.0 they're doing some interesting stuff with gameplay and you can make builds of characters. I've always loved the concept (even before they added Marvel characters) but the fact that it's attached to that pricing structure is annoying.

Hard as fuck man. I swear, taking the GRE's is a cake walk compared to this. If you can pass your MCAT's, you have the experience to prepare for practically any other exam at the pace I'm going.
I just redid my GRE recently and did worse than the first time. The entire verbal section is so fucking bullshit, I swear, most of those skills and words are never applied in the real world. Fuck that shit.

Dahbomb

USMLE Steps are 7-8 hours long and Step 3 is a 2 day exam. And there's no retaking of Steps if you pass so if you get a bad score then you are fucked for 8 years or so.

If you get queesy over taking exams then this is not the field for you.

Kalamari

You guys gotta RTSD those sample exams and sample questions. And when you finish, RTSD again. Any decent test prep program should have some available.

Yup.

And I definitely still feel that Marvel vs. Capcom is an important part of sustaining their brand and not excluded from what they have in their strategy for the future. I don't blame them for exhibiting a bit of quality control, especially after Spector mucked up things, it's just a shame a bit of ignorance to the situation has left MvC3 in the shape it's in (biggest problem obviously being that online is pretty much fucked).

That said, GotG has me wanting to pick up Infinity, especially now that in 2.0 they're doing some interesting stuff with gameplay and you can make builds of characters. I've always loved the concept (even before they added Marvel characters) but the fact that it's attached to that pricing structure is annoying.

I just redid my GRE recently and did worse than the first time. The entire verbal section is so fucking bullshit, I swear, most of those skills and words are never applied in the real world. Fuck that shit.

Are all of the Guardians of the Galaxy confirmed for Infinity?

Still crazy to think that back in 2011 everyone was like "Who's Rocket" and now we have him starring in a movie.

Astarte

USMLE Steps are 7-8 hours long and Step 3 is a 2 day exam. And there's no retaking of Steps if you pass so if you get a bad score then you are fucked for 8 years or so.

That payoff is fucking incredible though.
After you pay off dat debt.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The MCAT is more nerve wracking than anything else. If you fuck up, hoo boy. Even when you retake it, it's not a guaranteed "oh okay we'll replace your lower grade" with medical schools. The nerves get to people most of the time over the 3 hours that you take the test....however, with the new improved (tm) MCAT 2015, you get to take the same damn test for TWICE that long while everyone sweats around you!

Also it's hard as fuck to prepare for, forgot to mention that. FUCK reading comprehension.

The reading comprehension ain't that bad. Its just our school system is horrible in the US, I had the comprehension level of an 8 year old in freshman year of high school before I decided to just self-teach myself.

Just gotta break it down paragraph by paragraph. See the type of passage it is and gloss over the details but pay attention to important keywords that can signify a transition in the author's passage. As long as you can do this for passages, the rest of the stuff can be memorized so that once you see a question involving a certain equation (discrete questions), it shouldn't be that difficult to solve.

USMLE Steps are 7-8 hours long and Step 3 is a 2 day exam.

My cousin did that and god damn did he hate it for the long grueling hours. He passed it but man was he tired by the end of it.

Damn, change how you study. You gotta systematically break it down and see what questions you are getting wrong and why. Compare which answers are out of scope or just don't make any sense. A neat little trick I do is read the passage, take down a few notes (one per passage) and then read the answers for the questions, NOT the question itself. Based on what you read, you'll be able to pinpoint an answer that correlates with the passage and that more than likely is the answer unless its a "which one out of these four would the author NOT agree with".

Also Kalamari speaks the truth. Gonna start doing that pretty soon once I've got all my sciences down to memory.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are all of the Guardians of the Galaxy confirmed for Infinity?

Still crazy to think that back in 2011 everyone was like "Who's Rocket" and now we have him starring in a movie.
Yup. It also has cross-overs, so if you own Iron Man or Nova (both of which interact with GotG in the comics), they get bonus missions in the Guardians playset/world.

Dahbomb

That payoff is fucking incredible though.
After you pay off dat debt.
I really hope that the pay check isn't your only motivational factor.

I had half a dozen other reasons to becoming a doctor and any less I would've stopped a long time ago to become an Engineer instead (which I had taken many classes of already).

Astarte

I really hope that the pay check isn't your only motivational factor.

Fuck no, I mean payoff as in interacting with people and helping them. I actually don't give a shit about salary, as long as it gets me through life I'm fine. I'm joining my uncle in a trek to Africa in a few years (provided I make it through med school without dying), so I'm pretty damn hype for that!

I actually sound like those super idealistic "but I only want to help people" guys.

So is Nova's appearance in UMVC3 and the Nova Corps being in GotG guarantee a Nova movie somewhere down the line?

All the Marvel characters in UMVC3 that weren't series staples were included because Marvel intends to use them in some capacity in the near future, right?

So is Nova's appearance in UMVC3 and the Nova Corps being in GotG guarantee a Nova movie somewhere down the line?

All the Marvel characters in UMVC3 that weren't series staples were included because Marvel intends to use them in some capacity in the near future, right?

Well James Gunn apparently hates Nova (the character) so I don't think we'll see him star in a movie anytime soon ;~;

I had predictions for Guardians of the Galaxy that I thought would've led to a Nova movie setup, but I was super far off base

kirblar

Correct, although Nova's been kicked down the line a ways. "How do you make him not boring" is the issue.

alstein

Didn't think the GRE was that hard- aced it the time I took it, though I ended up taking my current job instead of grad school (Wanted sure money even if the job didn't use what I took in college)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I think everyone wants this to be the case, but it isn't really necessarily.

Nova was in the original GotG script, but got written out when it got in Gunn's hands. Gunn also doesn't really care much for Nova as a character, but like the idea of the Corps more (there's a debate in the spoiler thread around the Corps' representation).

The hooks are there, as (movie spoiler)
Rhomann Dey is in the film and is the one who gives Rider his powers
, so it's entirely possible that they can continue that thread in his own film if that happens, but there's a slim chance of him showing up in GotG2. The big question mark right now is Marvel has been talking a lot about how GotG opens the door to more cosmic, implying they have a lot of other cosmic properties they'd like to push further in production if GotG does well, but they could be anything really.

Didn't think the GRE was that hard- aced it the time I took it, though I ended up taking my current job instead of grad school (Wanted sure money even if the job didn't use what I took in college)
Yeah, I'm mainly suffering from a lack of motivation for my current career path at the moment, but stuff is just moving way too fast for me right now. I have no doubt that's part of why I didn't do much better the second time.

Busaiku

You're probably not gonna see any movies with X-23, She-Hulk, Shuma Gorath, M.O.D.O.K., or Taskmater either.
There're more than just movies though.

Top Bottom